Modding a Gateway mATX case

Status
Not open for further replies.

CMadki4

Supreme [H]ardness
ALL PHOTOS CAN BE FOUND HERE. Sorry for the borked links.

IMG_1048.jpg

I've got the itch to do a case mod. No need for another case, but just feel like tinkering in the shop. I've got several GT/GM Gateway mATX cases sitting around collecting dust and thought it'd be fun to chop them up and make a semi-compact portable LAN/gaming just-for-the-heck-of-it case.

Here's the concept:
- chop 4" or more from the height
- move the PSU to just above the CPU (low profile cooler required)
- modify HDD cage to accommodate long GPU
- modify DVD mount and door access
- paint in matte black, inside and out

I'd take about +4" off the height:
fronts.jpg

The PSU would be moved to just above the CPU (low profile cooler required):
rearviews.jpg

Case depth would probably remain the same. Internally things would get rearranged a bit:
choppedviews.jpg

Complete concept:
GT5662_MV-1.jpg

I think it looks pretty cool. What do you all think? :)

Last edited:
I think cooling could be a problem. Maybe you could add a fan on the side?

That's a sweet idea! I understand that you would need a low profile cooler for the CPU but what about airflow? The PSU fan would be sitting directly over the cpu heat sink. Unless you go passive, the two fans will be fighting for air no?

Maybe I'm just talking out of my ass since I'm so unfamiliar with mATX and smaller forms.

You're both right. Cooling will be a major challenge to over come. A side fan would help. I wonder if an H50 would fit on the CPU? And the radiator mounted to the front intake... Yuck. Thermally this is a bear of an idea for a case.

Looks like there could be as much as 3" clearance above the CPU to the PSU. I just mocked up the placement of the PSU and that's what I measure. Thanks for the reference to the Kuhler 620! That's an option!

IMG_0619.jpg

Here's what I'm working with. I really like this frame. So simple. I see potential if I can make it breathe enough. :D

Front:
IMG_0628.jpg

Rear:
IMG_0629.jpg

Inside:
IMG_0626.jpg

Sides removed (mobo tray in background):
IMG_0607.jpg

Fully disassembled:
IMG_0610.jpg

That's a sweet idea! I understand that you would need a low profile cooler for the CPU but what about airflow? The PSU fan would be sitting directly over the cpu heat sink.

Been thinking about this. What is if the PSU was inverted so it's intake was on the top of the case? This breather hole would be hidden under the sloped plastic piece on top. That way the PSU and CPU wouldn't have competing air flow. Hmm...

Is there a way you could move the psu to the front. Maybe you'd get more air flow that way.

Been thinking about this. What is if the PSU was inverted so it's intake was on the top of the case? This breather hole would be hidden under the sloped plastic piece on top. That way the PSU and CPU wouldn't have competing air flow. Hmm...

Brain fart. Can't do that. Inverting the PSU would put it's intake at the side panel. I guess that could work too.

But I'm sure there is a way to get the PSU to the front. The HDD cage will be gone (or at least significantly smaller.

Brain fart. Can't do that. Inverting the PSU would put it's intake at the side panel. I guess that could work too.

But I'm sure there is a way to get the PSU to the front. The HDD cage will be gone (or at least significantly smaller.

If you have the PSU at the front, how are you gonna route the power cable. Will there be enough room for a front intake fan?

Inverting the PSU so the intake fan is against the side panel could work, as long as you put an intake hole on the side panel.

If you have the PSU at the front, how are you gonna route the power cable. Will there be enough room for a front intake fan?

Inverting the PSU so the intake fan is against the side panel could work, as long as you put an intake hole on the side panel.

The power cable would have to have a little 90* plug, routed to a outlet on the back of the machine somewhere. The cables coming out of the PSU might interfere with the DVD/HDD mounting around. AND mounting the PSU in the front pretty much takes away a front intake fan possibility.

PSU mocked up for front mounting [intake front; exhaust bottom]:
Picture010.jpg

Mounting the PSU above the CPU seems to be the most straight forward solution. Inverted so it pulls air through the side panel and ducts it out the back. I could even isolate it with weather stripping so it doesn't interrupt air flow through the rest of the case.

For reference, here is the stock configuration. At most, I'll take 4" off the height. DVD and HDD cages will be significantly reduced. Actually, I'm thinking the HDD will be mounted in the external 3.5" slot just below the first DVD slot, with the top DVD slot and HDD cage removed entirely. That'll allow me to cut the 4" out and still have room for a 120mm front intake fan.

GT5662_BV2.jpg

Last edited:
This is my idea of what it will look like (hopefully not as nasty as these "sketches", pardon the perspectives). The chop will either be supported by new aluminum "L" channel for the verticals, or just chopping the existing panels and welding them back together.

Front. Notice nearly the whole face will be open. A bracket will be fabbed up to support the front 120mm fan:
IMG_0628_chopped2-1.jpg

Side:
IMG_0626_chopped-1.jpg

Last edited:
What if I exhausted out the front. If I used an H50 mounted to the front, a 120mm fan on the side panel to blow air on the GPU and the PSU also taking in air from the side panel, exhausting out the back? Would exhausting out the front be too strange?

chopped_open_side.jpg

IMG_0629_2.jpg

Another one of the GT/GM cases I have sitting in storage. For the new "chopped" one, window or no window?

Honestly, I think it will need the window space to breathable modder's mesh. And not fond of putting fans in the middle of windows. So, I'm included to say no to the window idea, but what you think?

100_5479.jpg

100_5487.jpg

I started a case mod using the same "rotate the PSU" technique but I abandoned it because I couldn't OC my i7 due to heat. The x3 is much cooler though so I think it would work.

I started a case mod using the same "rotate the PSU" technique but I abandoned it because I couldn't OC my i7 due to heat. The x3 is much cooler though so I think it would work.

You're right, the X3 does run pretty cool. Or least cool"er". What was your mod project? Cramming 20lbs of $hit in a 10lbs case, like my little project? Haha :D

Forget the window, put in mesh and/or a fan.

Agreed. I'm thinking "and"...

This is what I'm thinking in line of air flow.
- PSU mounted above CPU; intake from the side (modder's mesh), exhaust to the rear
- 120mm fan main intake on the front; possibly modder's mesh on "carbon fiber" front panel
- 120mm main exhaust to side of case (modder's mesh)

GT5662_MV_airflow.jpg

I'll be chopping this case up tomorrow. Then I'll be able to put the frame back together, mock up the components and get a better idea of the amount of space I'm working with. :D

Made the first cuts today. The frame is pretty much done. Just have to clean it up a bit. Still to be cut, as far as internals, the DVD/hdd cage needs to be modified. And I need to fab up a PSU mount for the rear. Also, I need to fab up some brackets for the front 120mm fan (or H50, whatever comes to be).

Mobo tray cut:
IMG_0639.jpg

Chopping up the rear panel:
IMG_0643.jpg

IMG_0645-Copy.jpg

IMG_0644-Copy.jpg

IMG_0655.jpg

Front panel:
IMG_0640.jpg

IMG_0651.jpg

IMG_0652.jpg

IMG_0654.jpg

Here's what I'm thinking for the front intake fan; 140mm 3 speed Antec. Just had one in the box-o-goodies. I'll fab up a bracket for it today.

IMG_0659.jpg

I've got the front bezel chopped to match the new height. It's about .375" taller than I expected, so I have this little gap. Looks okay. I'll probably fill, but trying to think of a function for it. Headphone/microphone jacks here?

IMG_0691.jpg

Here's the gap I'm referring to. The large void up top is the card reader, USB and power button/light. But the smaller one, that's about 0.25", I don't know what to do with:
IMG_0699.jpg

IMG_0697.jpg

Off to get some plastic epoxy to adhere the two parts of the front bezel and smooth out the seam. Coming right along! Coming up: fan bracket, DVD/HDD mount and PSU mounting. Still haven't decided 100% how I want to mount the PSU. No matter where I might put it, it's a PITA...

Looks cool so far... I would just put black mesh behind the small gap if it were me.

What about KITT style LED lights to fill that little gap? That would be realll sweet :)

Looking forward to more updates!

Looks cool so far... I would just put black mesh behind the small gap if it were me.

Black mesh is a good idea. Don't have any laying around, but I'll need to order some for other parts of the case and I'm sure I'll have plenty left over to fill the gap. I still need to figure out where to put the headphone/microphone jacks... Hmm...

Finished fabricating the fan bracket and modifying the DVD/HDD cage. Fits nicely.

IMG_0722.jpg

IMG_0724.jpg

Without the cover:
IMG_0729.jpg

With the cover:
IMG_0726.jpg

I've got the PSU almost mounted. By almost I mean 2 of the 4 screws. Still need to do a little fab work.

The back panel is a bit of a Frankenstein! It'll look okay once it's all the same color (I'm thinking flat black).

IMG_0731.jpg

I've got the front bezel trimmed up and epoxied together. I carved up some plastic splints to go on the back side, between the two parts to help secure them even more. The tape is just there to secure them a little while the epoxy cures over night. I'll still need to do a little "body work" to smooth out the seams.

Front:
IMG_0735.jpg

Back:
IMG_0736.jpg

Doesn't look modded, but it is really tiny now! It's a "sleeper" :D:
IMG_0741.jpg

cool, love mod logs like these, keep it up!

you might consider adding a handle to make it a nice lan box.

Sweet idea. I cannot tell you how many systems sold in these cases I moved back in the day when I worked at Best Buy.

cool, love mod logs like these, keep it up!

you might consider adding a handle to make it a nice lan box.

Thanks for the moto! I was thinking the same thing about the handle, great idea :D If I can, I'd like it to be concealed when not in use.

Also, I'm thinking about adding a 120mm fan to the top to exhaust the hot air. I don't really have an exhaust at this point and there isn't much room to add one on the side or rear (not one of significant size anyways). So, I was thinking of putting the fan on the top of the case, just under the slopped plastic shroud. The shroud could act as a duct and I could vent it out the rear. OR I could put a hole in the top of the shroud right above the fan and put mesh over it. Hmm... What do you all think? Vent out the back (like a slot vent on the rear) or straight out the top??? :confused:

Another thing I've yet to decide on is what I'm going to do with that brushed aluminum front panel. The Gateway logo absolutely must. I've got another one of these covers to mod in case I don't like how it turns out.

So, I'm trying to decide:
1. remove the logo and leave the cover whole and complete
OR
2. cut a hole in it and add mesh?

If I go with #1, I'll open up the front bezel behind the cover to allow better airflow. As it is now, the main air flow is intake through that slot at the very bottom of the case. So, I'd want to open up access to that slot so that big ol' 140mm fan can do its thing. ;)

Air flow is sort of restricted. I'll open that up some for better airflow:
IMG_0710.jpg

With the cover on, you can see the only intake is the slot at the very bottom (and any nooks and crannies):
IMG_0708.jpg

Either way, I'm pretty sure I'll be painting it flat black, not keeping the brushed aluminum look.

Review: Still undecided:
1. Top exhaust fan: vent out the rear or out the top of the plastic shroud?
2. 0.25" Gap: headphone/microphone jacks, mesh or other?
3. Front cover: leave whole or mod?

Are you planning on putting the hardware from your sig into this machine? If not what parts?

1. Duct out the back, I personally am not a fan of top fans (oi that sounds dumb upon reading)!

2. Slot loading optical drive? And use the 5.25" for something else, like a fan controller.

3. I think something like the machined bezel of this Lian Li would be sick on that aluminum cover. Maybe print a pattern and make a mess of it with a drill press. No idea how that would turn out, lol

Last edited:
Are you planning on putting the hardware from your sig into this machine? If not what parts?

Other than the ATX mobo, yes. This will be my gaming/LAN/office rig. Then I'll put the X2, GTX260 and other misc. parts I have in my box-o-goodies into the HTPC (which is what my current/main rig is setup to be).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back