KRK rp6 ferrari grey studio monitor - $130 each

What kind of cable though?

I see RCA, XLR, TRS... not sure what XLR/TRS is..
Just curious to know how to get the 3.5mm line out to these...
TV i have is ln46c630

Would it be a 3.5mm to RCA... and then split it left and right appropriately?

I don't think you could hook these directly to that TV easily.

These monitors require an analog audio input connection, and analog audio output is not very common on a TV unless it has a headphone jack. If you did have a normal headphone jack type of connector, you would get a 3.5mm Y cable to 2 RCA connectors. One RCA goes to the left monitor and one to the right.

In that fashion using the 3.5mm Y cable, you could hook these monitors to anything with a headphone jack.

130 each? does that mean per speaker?

edit: yes, answered my own question. whoops.

Looks like 130 each going by the specs...

Sad thing is I've never heard them so it's hard for me to jump on it. At original MSRP of apparently $299 per speaker...I'd imagine they should sound pretty damn good, no?

Don't worry, these speakers sound awesome. I wouldn't hesitate, but I've heard them in person.

This is by far one of the best bang/buck for computer speakers you can do. You don't have to purchase an amp/receiver, and you probably don't even have to use a sub.

I don't think you could hook these directly to that TV easily.

These monitors require an analog audio input connection, and analog audio output is not very common on a TV unless it has a headphone jack. If you did have a normal headphone jack type of connector, you would get a 3.5mm Y cable to 2 RCA connectors. One RCA goes to the left monitor and one to the right.

In that fashion using the 3.5mm Y cable, you could hook these monitors to anything with a headphone jack.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-UhBimtPqGXt/p_30546C630/Samsung-LN46C630.html#details-tab

Per their details... it does have 1 analog audio output.
http://a248.e.akamai.net/pix.crutchfield.com/products/2010/8/305/h30546C630-b.jpeg

If all it takes is a 3.5mm to RCA L/R... im so tempted right now.

If all it takes is a 3.5mm to RCA L/R... im so tempted right now.

yes that should work fine

I've had a set of ST6's forever (the unpowered speakers) and I have been happy with them... upgraded to Martin Logans tho ;)

God I am so tempted by these. How do they compare to the RP5 (I assume better since they have a 1" bigger cone) and the Mackie MR5's?

I've been looking for some powered monitors to replace my very aged 2.1 Sony bookshelf System from about 2002.

These are a great deal BTW. Well worth the money.

The advantage of using true balanced TRS or XLR cables is noise reduction, which is critical in music production. For computer use, I don't believe there are any consumer grade sound cards that support balanced systems, so whether or not you use true balanced TRS or cheap mono 1/4 cables, it won't matter. Each channel would have to have its own input. You know how when you turn up speakers really loud you hear hissing even when you're not playing anything? With a balanced system, the hissing doesn't exist, or is at an absolute minimum.

Would the analog output volume from a TV be able to control the volume?

For instance; if I were to connect a pair of these to a headphone out or RCA out on a TV at 2/3 volume on the speakers, would changing the TV volume with the remote still work?

I'm recommending these to a co-worker for use with a TV. She likes the idea of not having a receiver.

Would the analog output volume from a TV be able to control the volume?

For instance; if I were to connect a pair of these to a headphone out or RCA out on a TV at 2/3 volume on the speakers, would changing the TV volume with the remote still work?

I'm recommending these to a co-worker for use with a TV. She likes the idea of not having a receiver.
I would look at the manual for your specific TV. On my XBR I can set it to fixed or variable volume.

This is a SICK deal guys. I paid $110 more for these @ Guitar Center last month.

These things sound amazing. I recommend some Auralex Mopads to tighten up the sound further.

Wow that's a killer price for RP6's. And I like the grey look better than their standard black and yellow. Nice find! Nice deal!

No point in using XLR with an unbalanced source, just pick up a cheaper stereo->RCA adapter or cable.

if youre getting this for a computer, get a Behringer UCA202 Audio Interface
much much better sound quality than the motherboard audio output
theyre like 20 bucks

The Behringer XENYX-502 is a good mixer for an application like this. It's a great little unit and it's only $40!

Just keep in mind that with a 6" sub, you will have very little bass. More like mid range. You can also find the 8" version of this monitor on eBay and I think from the same people. For some reason, they de-listed them on the web but you can order them through their eBay store. They are $199 each.

For those of you want bass that will actually hit tight crisp lows, take a look at the Behringer B1031A that comes with a 8" Sub. These can be had for $129 each normally. YMMV. They are normally $149 each but I've called around, in the past and got the price lowered with a few different places.

Last edited:
^ Definitely a YMMV there. I actually thought the bass was more than enough. Although, my previous speakers were Klipsch 4.1's and M-Audio AV40's. I've never really had great speakers though, so take that for what it's worth.

The other day I quieted down my PC and started noticing a hiss from the tweeters. Combined w/ the lack of volume control, on/off switches on both (even though I used a surge protector), and massive size, it was finally enough for me to take them back to Guitar Center.

On the way home, I stopped by Fry's and picked up Logitech's Z-623. Though nowhere near the same quality, they take up much less space, have a single on/off switch, do not buzz, and have a convenient volume control right on the front.

I'll probably end up ordering the Swan M50W so I can at least have better quality, but w/ the smaller size and convenient control panel. :D

No point in using XLR with an unbalanced source, just pick up a cheaper stereo->RCA adapter or cable.

Price difference isn't that significant for XLR/3.5mm vs RCA/3.5mm.

My audio source is the 3.5mm audio out on my lcd tv... so why not just get the XLR?

Still on sale, think I'm going to bite. Not a huge audiophile, what cable(s) do you need to connect these to the PC?

mini 3.5 to dual RCA?

One more thing, I've never owned a pair of monitors for general music listening. How do they compare to actual desktop computer speakers? I was always under the impression that a monitor is supposed to give a more flat, uninspired sound for instrument reproduction. Will these blow away most dedicated desktop computer speakers in all aspects?

Also, assuming a picked up a Mav audio D1 DAC, would you reccommend just ditching my soundblaster recon3d and connecting via optical out on my onboard ALC892?

Last edited:
3.5mm -> dual RCA will work fine for these. did so with my RP5's for a few years until I got a DAC

Still on sale, think I'm going to bite. Not a huge audiophile, what cable(s) do you need to connect these to the PC?

mini 3.5 to dual RCA?

One more thing, I've never owned a pair of monitors for general music listening. How do they compare to actual desktop computer speakers? I was always under the impression that a monitor is supposed to give a more flat, uninspired sound for instrument reproduction. Will these blow away most dedicated desktop computer speakers in all aspects?

Also, assuming a picked up a Mav audio D1 DAC, would you reccommend just ditching my soundblaster recon3d and connecting via optical out on my onboard ALC892?
They sound good, you may want to dial back the treble but a good speaker is a good speaker. Monitors are just powered speakers with no grilles on them. A lot of the fancier ones have room equalization features built-in but the cheaper ones don't.

Just got mine. They're HUGE and sound awesome from my uDac via the unbalanced ports.

I do have one problem/annoyance though. Theres a slight buzzing noise when nothing is playing, and its especially apparent when I'm scrolling up down a webpage. I'm not sure how i'm supposed to get rid of that buzz.

Again, they sound great when music is playing. When its none is playing, theres buzzing. Maybe its because i'm using unbalanced ports? I'm not really willing to shell out a lot of money on a new sound card/external dac -_-.

What sound card do you have?

I can almost assure you it's not your new speakers that's causing the buzzing.

While the buzzing is going on, take one of the speakers and move it around and see if the buzzing decreases if you haven't already.

If you have a cheap sound card, well, I dunno, that's your call. All you really need is a 3.5 stereo mini to RCA outs for the left and right speaker from your sound card. But a quality sound card paired with the level and quality of speakers you just bought only makes sense. I mean, how many people do you see wearing dirty socks in a brand new pair of Nikes? No one.

You haven't told us a lot about your setup so I have to make some assumptions here. If you are using on-board audio, that could be the problem. On-board audio is perfectly fine for games but if you're stepping up your audio game for a home studio or for listening to audio at a higher level of quality then that's something you're going to want to upgrade.

Also, your 3.5mm to RCA Y adapter. If you bought something cheap off eBay, again that could be the problem. You obviously don't need Monster brand but get something at least gold plated on both ends.

Some other areas to consider. I've heard of CRT's near by, or cheap PSU's causing buzzing like this. And, it could just be something simple like a software setting introducing the buzzing sound.

Dunno, lot of factors but I'm sure you will get it worked out.

I use a uDac with rca Unbalanced rca plugs, which i mentioned. Is there anything else needed to know?

I tried plugging then into my phone and sansa mp3 player and the noise/buzz lowered dramatically, tho still slightly there. Also tried switching power outlets and that seemed to help as well. Furthermore, i switched to old and cheaper rca cables and it helped even more so im just like in wtf mode right now

Can you try a dedicated Sound card, preferably not on-board sound or a usb based sound device. Use high quality 3.5mm stereo mini-jack to RCA Y's, gold plated directly to the speakers. For source material, play FLAC.

If you have any buzzing after following these steps, I would be surprised.

You don't want a long trail of connections from source to speaker. You've got pc->usb->usb sound device->audio cord->speaker ( buzz )

I've seen USB ports cause a whole shit load of trouble for people doing what your doing. You wouldn't think so but not all motherboard, usb chipsets, usb ports or design and implementation are not created equally.

If you're MP3 player and phone have cut out the buzzing "dramatically" well, I think you have your answer don't you? And probably not the answer you were wanting or expecting.

So the problem is with the usb port, audio connection from usb to usb audio device, and or audio device and from there, another audio connection to speakers. That's the problem area. Honestly, I think we've all had these sorts of problems. They normally go away when we reduce the connections and devices a step or two while using better audio cables.

Last edited:
Also you'll get more EMI in the chain if you are overclocking or have a high load. It took me quite a bit of fiddling around with my setup before I lowered the noise quite a bit.

Thanks for the advice guys.

I don't have an extra sound card laying around. I was under the impression that an external usb dac would be better than an internal soundcard, which was why i got my uDac ~2 years ago to upgrade from my x-fi xtremegamer soundcard.

My rca connections arent long... Probably 2ft at the most. Is that still too long? I guess i could buy some better, gold plated rca plugs from monoprice and give that a try.

From my tests, I feel like it is probably the cords, or the uDac itself. I'm not sure how else I can reduce the number of connections in total. I'm using the bare minimum to connect to my udac to speakers.

As for overclocking, I actually am overclocked quite a bit, but the voltages are pretty low. I can mess around with that too, but its been a while.

God I am so tempted by these. How do they compare to the RP5 (I assume better since they have a 1" bigger cone) and the Mackie MR5's?

I've been looking for some powered monitors to replace my very aged 2.1 Sony bookshelf System from about 2002.

They're not quite as good as the Mackie MR5's IMO, but pretty close.

Good deal though !

Just got mine. They're HUGE and sound awesome from my uDac via the unbalanced ports.

I do have one problem/annoyance though. Theres a slight buzzing noise when nothing is playing, and its especially apparent when I'm scrolling up down a webpage. I'm not sure how i'm supposed to get rid of that buzz.

Again, they sound great when music is playing. When its none is playing, theres buzzing. Maybe its because i'm using unbalanced ports? I'm not really willing to shell out a lot of money on a new sound card/external dac -_-.
You need to get 3 to 2 cheater plugs to eliminate the ground loop. Although, the tweeters will still hiss.

Back