Klipsch Promedia 5.1's - Amp repair

Sent him, Elliott, my amp back in December. Emailed a week ago to ask about it. Nada.

I sent my amp to him in late November. His last email to me was on December 22nd... He stated that he was waiting on parts and it would be ready right after xmas. Four emails later and I still haven't got another response.

hello guys,

sorry i didnt read the thread (it is very long). anyway my promedia ultra 5.1 seem like it dying. the problem that occur is

- no sound from satellite nor the sub
- once turn volume up to 70 - 80 (max) all sound come out to be distorted (if you want i can try to record it w/ my poor video camera)
- i have try to check my PC, to do this i plug my head phone to the same green port (EVGA classified) and music come out great
- i ran thru realtek software, tried to installed latest driver. problem is not resolved

please help

thx

(ps. sorry for poor english, it is not my first language)

spec
- evga classifed E759
- Win 7 Pro 64 bit
- W3520 Xeon
- Ram 12GB
- on board sound card
- ati (2) 4870x2

You are having the same problem that all owners of Pro Media or Ultra's face eventually. Heat build up causing componnent failure. You can either replace the bad chips and/or capacitors your self or send them to someone to repair.
Personally I recommend Henry [email protected]
He repaired mine quickly and I have had no problems since. He also added cooling to improve the life of the repaired unit.

You are having the same problem that all owners of Pro Media or Ultra's face eventually. Heat build up causing componnent failure. You can either replace the bad chips and/or capacitors your self or send them to someone to repair.
He repaired mine quickly and I have had no problems since. He also added cooling to improve the life of the repaired unit.

do you know where he is located? i prefer to do this locally. so i dont have to pay hefty shipping

btw i'm in socal

thx in advance

He is in the mid west. I am in SoCal also.
There are others that can do the repair and there are links to scematics in this thread so you can do it yourself if you wish. I could not locate two of the capacitors that I found to be leaking and I was about to travel so I just took the easy way out and sent it to him.No doubt doing it yourself would save about $100 or so overall.

Baer...that email you posted for that fellow Henry is no good...can you verify for me please ..

He is in the mid west. I am in SoCal also.
There are others that can do the repair and there are links to scematics in this thread so you can do it yourself if you wish. I could not locate two of the capacitors that I found to be leaking and I was about to travel so I just took the easy way out and sent it to him.No doubt doing it yourself would save about $100 or so overall.

how much was your shipping to his place?

stpeteshepherd. I can't spell tonight

stpeteshepherd. I can't spell tonight
3 hours of sleep last night, I'm going down. Baer, Henry's earthlink address was acting up. He has a different address now. I ditto everything you have posted.

Thanks rnale,
I tried to send him an e mail today and it bounced also. I then tried to find him on e-Bay where he used to sell his cooling kits, no joy there either.
Do you have his new e mail?
I am going to go back to my archives and find my old communications with him as well as a scan of my invoice from him and then try to contact him. If I have any luck I will post here.

Last edited:
Thanks rnale, I sent him an e mail to see if he is still doing Klipsch repairs.

All, As I have noted in earlier posts, I highly recommend Henry.

I got my amp back from Elliot this past weekend. I sent it to him in late December. Just now got a chance to hook it back up.

I've got a spare working amp (Klipsch sent me one free long long ago) so when I've had a dead one I've always had a working spare.

Anyhow, I hooked up Elliot's amp and nothing. No "boom" when you initially turn on the power control (the boom is normal and pretty indicative of a working amp) and no sound out of each channel.

Quite a bummer as I was looking to sell all of my Klipsch gear.

I just fired off an e-mail and we'll see how fast he gets back to me. He was nice enough to call and apologize.

I really hope I can get a smooth turnaround

I got a response from Henry, the e mail address that was posted [email protected] is correct. If any of you need good, reliable and quick Klipsch electronics repair I highly recommend him as I have posted previously.

I can't defend a 7 week wait, nor a non-working amp but the first time I went to Elliott he was super fast and the amp has been working for the last 2 years or more.

I'm sure he'll do me right

Sent Elliott my amp in...early Nov. have never received any communication from him.
Sent an email 2 weeks ago and have had no response. Have heard a lot of good things about him....but....:mad:I want my amp!!

Elliott sent me a reply of my diagnosis of the troubleshooting.

He wanted me to check out one area of the board that may've come loose in shipping. Some chip. I pushed against it and it felt like it slid into place.

Hooked the amp up and viola -- 100% perfect.

I still would recommend Elliott and send business to him based on the current amp I had repaired by him.

I am sure from all the post here that both Elliott and Henry seem to be pretty decent tech on the klipsch subwoofer for the 5.1 Promedia...but i wasn't too comfortable in shipping my sub to some far away state,and then to have it shipped back to me.So,i did some reseach in my State and found someone about 2miles from where i live in florida who works on subs and amps for 30yrs by the name of Nick.Well, i gave him a shot to repair my subwoofer for my 5.1 system,and i'm glad to say he did a pretty good job and its going strong after 3 weeks without any further problem.He's in the South Florida area for anybody who is local and need his services...

I am sure from all the post here that both Elliott and Henry seem to be pretty decent tech on the klipsch subwoofer for the 5.1 Promedia...but i wasn't too comfortable in shipping my sub to some far away state,and then to have it shipped back to me.So,i did some reseach in my State and found someone about 2miles from where i live in florida who works on subs and amps for 30yrs by the name of Nick.Well, i gave him a shot to repair my subwoofer for my 5.1 system,and i'm glad to say he did a pretty good job and its going strong after 3 weeks without any further problem.He's in the South Florida area for anybody who is local and need his services...

Probably a wise decision... I sent my amp to Elliott over three months ago, still don't have it back. After sending him multiple status inquiries over the course of two months, he finally responded early February that he would ship my amp in a week and get me a tracking number. I still have no amp and he has ignored my latest emails.

i shipped my amp to henry and the turn around was only 1 week from CA to MN

i really recommend this guy again his email is htkclk @t juno dot com

can't 10 people just pay one tech 100 each(1000$) so one of them can just post some more detailed instructions? then this whole sending amps all over the US can be over... lol can't seem to find strong non ultra info to repair these damn components.... i've been practicing soldering on all my old motherboards etc so i got the really small soldering down perfect. i've got the same problem

The PM5.1 and PMU5.1 amps are nearly identical. If you've found information for repairing the Ultra then you should be good to go. There's tons of information in this thread, but there is no one size fits all repair guide because there are lots of different things that break.

well guess im trying to say... if my sats aren't working and my sub is. w/e the case. some people both the sub and sats are out. pretty much im interested in making it bulletproof and replacing everything that "could" go wrong even if it hasn't yet. like even tho my sub works... i want to do a complete repair of the whole amp so i don't just fix my sats and then have to replace other components later... is this thread one of the best or has anybody found any other good sites that have some good info as this one?

Probably a wise decision... I sent my amp to Elliott over three months ago, still don't have it back. After sending him multiple status inquiries over the course of two months, he finally responded early February that he would ship my amp in a week and get me a tracking number. I still have no amp and he has ignored my latest emails.

You are lucky he replied your email. He has my sub for over 3 months (he received mine in early December 2009), and so far has been ignoring all my emails sent in between January 2010 until now. I am trying to be considerate and not spamming him with inquiries so I've only sent 1 request each month.

He was very fast (within 1 day) at replying email and questions up until receiving sub..... So much for the promised 20 business day turn-around.

Those of us that have used Henry keep telling y'all that he is through. complete, adds cooling to keep it from hapening again and he responds to e mails, even if you have questions later and he is fast, about a week.
Three months with your sub and no response and you are being nice?? I would send Guedo and Monk over to visit him!

That is what concern me the most...knowing how much i can't do without my speakers blasting with my sub and sending it off to some good guy that takes 3months plus,no way!! I respect his work and i'm sure he does a pretty good job but that turn around time is just too crazy for me.Thank God,I was able to find someone local,if not i would have given the job to Henry...

and by the way...Nick did suggest like i guess Henry did also from all his testing and even with replacing parts with military specs,to add a cooling fan which he also installed on my sub.He is retired and work on Amplifiers and Subs for over 30yrs...

Have still heard nothing from Elliott, November is when I sent the amp to him. Not one response since he took my money. Will not respond to multiple emails. It's been so long that even my wife is complaining about it:eek: Just want my amp back!!! I regret sending it to him.:mad::mad::mad:

Anyone got an extra amp for sale???

Last edited:
Hi ,all of you guys that have not received your amp please send me a private message here with your name and e-mail address and I'll respond to you in less than 24hrs (I have less than 8 amps that are overdue), sorry but I'm the only person repairing these amps and have a lot of work right now and if your amp was delayed it was because I had to order more parts for it and was very hard to repair... I just received a shipment of 100 extra parts and if your amp is not already fixed and ready to ship it will be in less than 7 days, all of you guys that I've had your amp over 2 months will get double warranty just for waiting so long, And just to make it clear I will not scam anyone so please just be patient for just 7 more days or less (I just need to finish/test every amp before is shipped and make sure is top notch), I will send you a message with the tracking # as soon as your amp ships.
Regards
Elliott

(rcubed260) Update sent to your PM with fedex tracking #
(dz187) Update sent to your PM with fedex tracking #...
(wolfhero) Update sent to your PM with USPS tracking info...

Last edited:
Not having parts in stock = excusable
Being busy = excusable
Not returning e-mails = inexcusable

2 out of 3 ain't bad right.:rolleyes: = fail

Yes I agree Not returning e-mails = inexcusable, sometimes e-mails go to my spam folder or I never get them (I receive hundreds of e-mails on my regular e-mail/week) that's why I'm asking for a Private Message, those I always get. I found out about these rants yesterday because another costumer was nice enough to tell me about it, I don't check forums every day since I have a lot of work but I will check more often in here just in case I miss anyone else in my regular e-mail.

Last edited:
I have a Klipsch 5.1 system that does not work. The problem is on the AC/DC converter. On the daughterboard there has been some burn damage. It is on the bottom of the column containing the D3 diode. I tried to post a picture
timmypaf
, but I have not gotten the soldering iron out to remove the daughterboard completely, which I plan to do. I was just wondering if anyone could tell me if this was a waste of time, and if not, I am not great with electronics so i could use some assistance. thanks

Got my amp back last week... The solder job looks professional, and the amp sounds good, probably better than it ever has! However, I probably could have taught myself electrical/circuit theory and how to solder on 7-layer PCB in the amount of time it took for Elliot to get it fixed.

Got my amp from Elliot today after giving it to him early Feb.

For the most part I didn't have problems with e-mails to Elliot through out. The only time I did have a problem was the past 2wks when I was promised it would be sent out then only after I e-mailed I got replies saying he needed to test the amp further and that he would ship it that week with a tracking number.

During the time I was out of the 5.1U I hooked up my 4.1, bought a pair of RB-10 and love the upgrade. Probably keep my system 2.1 from here on out.

Last edited:
Back