Klipsch Promedia 5.1's - Amp repair

Sent mine Nov. 08. Had a couple email exchanges......still waiting. Glad to have found this forum. May actually get a response ya think? Have been using a Logitech my son reccomended and it does a fair job Will give to wife for her pc if and when I get the Klipsch amp back.The Klipsch seemed mellower and not quite as bass heavy. Glad to hear you guys have had some success!!!

Sent mine Nov. 08. Had a couple email exchanges......still waiting. Glad to have found this forum. May actually get a response ya think? Have been using a Logitech my son reccomended and it does a fair job Will give to wife for her pc if and when I get the Klipsch amp back.The Klipsch seemed mellower and not quite as bass heavy. Glad to hear you guys have had some success!!!

PM sent...

Good news from Elliott. Soon to rec've tracking # for amp return. More troubles w/amp than anticipated.

He gets the job done but it takes a while . . . long while. I used him for my amp repair. You just have to wait.

Chalk another one up for Henry. I actually found him on eBay but since I didn't buy anything there was no way to leave feedback and when I asked, he suggested I could leave it on here.

Not including shipping, the repair was done in a week and a half. Emails were fast: usually within 2-3 hours but at most a day. Plus, he not only was willing to answer unrelated questions but sometimes even provided additional info unasked. I was impressed by the level of detail he provides on both his eBay cooler listings and the repair summary he sent me. Repair price was also very reasonable imo. I've had the amp back and running a few days now and everything is working great so far. If anything, it sounds better than it did before. Two thumbs up!

A couple days ago I also had a rapid response from elliot-tronics - within a 3 hour period. He keeps in touch when I enquire.

Got the repaired amp from Elliott, it seems to work fine now. There is only a tiny issue that the black sub connector on the board is now too big for the plug, had to use pliter to widen the plug. The label for the connector is differet now too, use to be just + and -. Now it's T1 and T2 :confused:

So far so good.

I am pretty sure my unit was "+" and "-" when I took it out, I labeled those wires so I know which goes into which.

Quick update: After 2 days of use, elliott repaired sub just blew up with loud scratch noise, now it's completely dead.... I really don't feel like going through all the shipping cost, delay, wait again even if he honors his warranty.

LOL KABOOM

kaboom.jpg

I sold my Klipsch sub/amp thing and bought a real receiver

Quick update: After 2 days of use, elliott repaired sub just blew up with loud scratch noise, now it's completely dead.... I really don't feel like going through all the shipping cost, delay, wait again even if he honors his warranty.

I sent mine off to him to get repaired. He never responded to my emails until I sent a couple in a row. About two weeks more time than he quoted me and I finally had my amp back.

I used my repair from him for all of 2 seconds. Turn on power button... pop, same loud noise as you I bet.

I emailed him and asked him if he would repair it, and of course he said he would. Mind you I need to pay shipping back to him and wait for who knows how long. I don't think I should have to pay shipping back to him considering the repair was faulty within minutes of getting the box and hooking it all up.

Look back a couple of pages.

One chip becomes loose in shipping. It's a big black chip on the outside of the board. When my latest Elliott amp arrived it was dead. He told me to reseat that chip and viola it worked.

Like I said, I sold my Klipsch amp and kept the 5 speakers

I test ever amp I ship back for a minimum of 2 hours, if it fails when it arrives it is a possibility something got moved around during shipping or other components were about to fail and didn't happen during testing...when I do a warranty repair I have to work on your amp again and 99% of the times is a new part I have to install, a part that was never replaced before, like power mosfets, these parts cost me money and also time to replace and I do this for free, I also pay to send your amp back after I repair it again so in reality I try to do more that what I get paid for, I give you warranty on the whole amp, not just what I worked on so please consider that for a moment.

Look back a couple of pages.

One chip becomes loose in shipping. It's a big black chip on the outside of the board. When my latest Elliott amp arrived it was dead. He told me to reseat that chip and viola it worked.

Like I said, I sold my Klipsch amp and kept the 5 speakers

What chip where? I've looked all over for a big black chip that might be loose. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!!

I have the promedia 5.1 and it has had a low hum for a couple years.I just moved the subwoofer to the other side of my desk and away from my home stereo speakers and TV.Thinking it was getting some kind of interference.
But moving it made the problem worse.
Now as soon as I plug in the Sub and power on the controller the humming is so loud it is deafening.And this is without any speakers connected.
I ordered a new controller unit.But I still have the same problem.
Has anyone else had this problem ? And if so what do you recommend ?
I would like to get it fixed as the speakers work fine.And I now have two controllers.The old style and a new 5.1 ultra controler.

Thanks

Anyone have any luck fixing or know how to fix this low hum problem? Hum is basically inaudible when first plugging them in but slowly build up to a very low frequency and loud hum. It becomes louder as you increase the volume on the control pod. If you unplug and then replug the pod from the amp, the process starts over.

Hey everyone. I bought a “as is” Klipsch Promedia 5.1 speaker system from an auction site.

Before opening the back of the sub I tried turning it on few times and twice I heard a loud “thump”, other times it didn’t turn on at all. I used to have a Logitech z680 and have heard similar noise from sub when turning it on.

As many have pointed out I found documentation done by Dale Thompson at http://www.thompdale.com/bash_amplifier/5-1/5-1_bash_amp.htm very useful.

With above documentation I verified that the Line filter is working fine by measuring T1 and T2 terminal of the Line Filter board.

5.1_line_filter-513x297.gif

However I don’t get any reading from the J1 connector of the line filter. As I understand the J1 connector provides stepped down power to the I/O board from the transformer.

Could this be a transformer related issue? I wouldn’t have thought the step down transformer is faulty as I can measure 230V AC from output T1 and T2 (and transformers are less prone to failure?). Can somebody with a working 5.1 measuring output from connectors of J1 connector?

Since my previous post I have looked into how the line filter power relay work, and it seems to be power relay on/off signal comes from I/O board. But the switched 230V AC signal going to the AC-DC converter isn't giving any output from either J513 or J503-J506 I/O board isn't powered. So the line filter power relay never gets signal and hence no LV AC signal.

Anyway, the problem seems to be in the AC-DC converter board. It seems the R519 and R520 resistors on AC-DC board have become open circuits (checked with continuity checker on the multimeter). According to the schematics these two resistors should be zero ohm interconnecting links. As you can see from the photo only one resistor still in place is the R521 resistor.

KwW4ls.jpg

Full size image : http://imgur.com/KwW4l.jpg

Can someone with a sub open check this is right?

Last edited:
I have had my Klipsch ProMedia 4.1 for 6 years (bought them used on Ebay), and during the last move, they broke!

When I plug the Sub into power, and connect the Control Pod into the Sub, and turn the device on, the Sub starts emitting explosive pops, at intermittent intervals. If I connect the speakers to a computer, the music still plays (from the sub and from the speakers), but the explosive pops from the sub make listning to the actual music impossible.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
RMSe17

Since my previous post I have looked into how the line filter power relay work, and it seems to be power relay on/off signal comes from I/O board. But the switched 230V AC signal going to the AC-DC converter isn't giving any output from either J513 or J503-J506 I/O board isn't powered. So the line filter power relay never gets signal and hence no LV AC signal.

Anyway, the problem seems to be in the AC-DC converter board. It seems the R519 and R520 resistors on AC-DC board have become open circuits (checked with continuity checker on the multimeter). According to the schematics these two resistors should be zero ohm interconnecting links. As you can see from the photo only one resistor still in place is the R521 resistor.

KwW4ls.jpg

Full size image : http://imgur.com/KwW4l.jpg

Can someone with a sub open check this is right?

That's bizarre... My unit has the two zero-ohm resistors in R519 & R520 and nothing installed in R521 as the schematic suggests.

Where are you located? Outside of the US? It sounds like from your posts that you are operating your unit at 230V. If so, you cannot follow the schematic completely as there will be some differences. What is the part number of your AC-DC converter board?

I'd check some of the FET's on the AC-DC converter board for shorts first and then look for out of tolerance resistors next.

Elliot has had mine for 8 weeks, he originally quoted me 4. He's kind of hard to get a hold of via email, so I'm sending him a PM from here.

Just received my tracking number from elliot-tronics. It took a while but-Nov. 2008. Said it had some issues. Had sent it once to Klopsch and that lasted I'm guessing 9-12 months. It will be good to hear again.

Hello, I was the person who posted the "Elliot Sanchez is a hack" post on the Klipsch forum on 3/17/10 found here:

http://community.klipsch.com/forums/p/132848/1348189.aspx#1348189

It described the awful time I had up to that point dealing with elliot-tronics on a amp repair. I put that post on hold when Elliot immediately got in contact with me when that post got linked to here. I sent him my amp again (having to pay the shipping again) and received the amp back in a few weeks time functioning properly (so i thought).

My original repair was set up 01/05/2010.

This morning I turned the amp on and after 30 minutes or so I started to smell something burning and the speakers stopped working. The sub still has output, but not the satellites. I know the back of these amps get warm, but it was more than warm to the touch, it was HOT, like something burning inside hot. I've since removed the amp and it stinks of burnt electronics.

At this point I'm out $118.00 for the original repair, $12.xx for shipping the first time (I got insurance) and another $10.00 for sending it back. I could have bought a set of decent studio monitors for the money I've spent.

I've been in contact with Elliot today and requested a refund of the original 118.00 charged to my paypal account and no more, to which he replied that he doesn't do refunds and that he would honor his 60 day warranty, when I declined that and said I would make this post instead. He goes on the say my warranty is void anyhow and he's not liable. To which I provide shipping information inside the warranty time, not to mention his post made here: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1268387&page=18 stating that anyone who has had their amp delayed will receive double warranty. The conversation is documented here:

http://docs.google.com/View?id=dfhbrvn4_6cxvpxhgr

For transparencies sake, I have made google docs to include all of our email transactions, with personal info removed:

Part 1 - Initial conversation/information exchange

http://docs.google.com/View?id=dfhbrvn4_5c4w5hscg

Part 2 - Me requesting a status update that was never replied to.

http://docs.google.com/View?id=dfhbrvn4_3dm2wf6dz

Part 3 - Another status update request. Notice the delay in emails between 2/15 and 2/26. I had to send an email from a work account saying I wanted my amp back repaired or not and a refund if not repaired.

http://docs.google.com/View?id=dfhbrvn4_4d8kpwccf

At this point the amp was returned, but not properly repaired.

Part 4 - My original Klipsch forum post found at http://community.klipsch.com/forums/p/132848/1348189.aspx#1348189

http://docs.google.com/View?id=dfhbrvn4_7df3x65fv

Everything concerning sending my amp out the second time was done over the phone so i have no records other than my tracking number to/from Elliot and his non-unique invoice dated 04/02/2010.

I wanted to host this just in case it was removed after this post was made, Elliot speaking of a double warranty period.

http://imgur.com/ihKH0.png

You may wonder what my point is here. I just don't want anyone else to have to go through dealing with this guy. He talks in circles and will do anything to put the blame off himself and not have to deal with you, let alone taking over 2 months to return my amp the first time not repaired. He's hard as shit to get in contact with once he has your stuff, and as far as I've experienced does less than acceptable work. Some of my opinions are easily backed up by other posts on this thread, some may be of my own, but they seem very fair judging by the emails I've shared. I do respect the fact that he's offered an amp exchange, but I do not respect the idea of having to ship my amp out a third time and having this dragged out over 4 months time. All I want is a refund.

Loong story short, this guy wants a refund, I do not make refunds, I offered him warranty and even to exchange his amp, I did say the warranty was expired but I was mistaken because I only had records of the first time the amp was shipped but he sent me an e-mail with the shipment track info from the second time I repaired his amp and told him I would honor the warranty no problem. It is very rare an amp would fail twice but it can happen in such short period of time.

Oh and he only posted the full conversation e-mail links because I told him I would post the whole story like it is when he threatened to post this bad feedback here if I didn't give him a refund, if you read the e-mails you will notice I offer to help every time. Also I never said the warranty was void or that I would not be liable , I said it was expired according to the records I had on file but after he sent me a e-mail with the second tracking info I said OK and would cover the warranty, and if I offer extended warranty to some of you that would be at my discretion, (base warranty is 60 days) and if you have the warranty paper it will be covered until it expires or 60 days from the time you received your amp back in case you loose the warranty paper.

So NO REFUNDS NO EXCEPTIONS especially on labor already performed as long as I'm willing to repair or replace the amp when is under warranty. If anybody has questions please send me a P.M I don't really have time to post stuff on forums often.

Last edited:
It is very rare an amp would fail twice but it can happen in such short period of time.

In fact I would be willing to suggest that daole should consider replacing any surge protection equipment the amp was plugged into and/or hiring an electrician to test his power quality. The event he describes sounds like a parts failure (and likely is) but from personal experience as well as anecdotal evidence from others in this forum the Klipsch amp may have an exceptional sensitivity to transient events on the AC input (overvoltage *and* undervoltage)

My Klipsch Amp that I sent to Henry http://myworld.ebay.com/stpeteshepherd/ was returned repaired with cooling added in ten days. He responds to every e mail even if just asking for advice. My unit has now been working on an average of 10 hours a day for almost six months. No problems, no hastle.
I am not saying anything bad about anyone else just saying that based on my experience the work, speed, price and follow up by Henry were all excellent. I have said it before but that was so many pages ago that I am reposting it.

My Klipsch Amp that I sent to Henry http://myworld.ebay.com/stpeteshepherd/ was returned repaired with cooling added in ten days. He responds to every e mail even if just asking for advice. My unit has now been working on an average of 10 hours a day for almost six months. No problems, no hastle.
I am not saying anything bad about anyone else just saying that based on my experience the work, speed, price and follow up by Henry were all excellent. I have said it before but that was so many pages ago that I am reposting it.

I'm beginning to wish I had seen that Post

RangerRick
I sent you a P.M with the fedex track info and if you have other questions send me a P.M I also have pics of amps sent to me from "Henry's work" let me know if you want to see his work, he might be quick (probably because he's not as busy) but I get a few amps from people who sent them to him in the past, if he's the same guy on eBay that goes by the user name of stpetershepard or something similar and installs a fan kit that's the same guy.....Oh and he has even contacted me before trough eBay to ask me if I could work on an amp he was not able to repair sometime last year. I also have that e-mail on file of him requesting my technical service if you wish to see it too.

Last edited:
Yes that is him as anyone can see by simply clicking on the link that I posted.
As I stated, I can only speak from my experience, the parts that he replaced were new, the ones he reused were clearly noted as such, the solder joints were clean and shiny, the communications were good, he was fast, the instructions from him on how to ship Etc were printed and clear, the price was fair, everything worked right out of the box and it still does. I only posted here because originally I was looking for someone to repair my Amp as I could not find the needed parts. I then posted to compliment a job well done. I would not hesitate to have him do work for me again. I can not speak about work he has done for others, only relate my experience.

I do not know either of you as I have never met Henry either but I have found that those that do good work and stand by it never have to resort to knocking a competitor in order to maintain or gain business.

Baer
Good for you, and I'm sure Henry is a nice guy, but when it comes to technical skills and knowledge he's no match to me. I personally never had a problem with him other than having to undo his work but I get paid for that so no problem. And like I said before, I have emails of him requesting my service back in 2009..

Elliot,I have no way to verify or respond to that with any validity so I will not even try. Best wishes to you and your customers.

Elliot did two of my amps and even though they're now long gone and sold the 2nd owner continues to enjoy them. Local sale.

Not to swing my join date around but.... yeah. 9 years. I know what I'm talking about.

And not to swing mine around but (deleted by poster)
It seems that we never should underestimate who we are talking to and that is why I had nothing bad to say about anyone, just posting my positive experiences with someone who did a good job for me fixing a part of something that is for me but a fun hobby.

Last edited:
Elliot,I have no way to verify or respond to that with any validity so I will not even try.

Baer,
I have no reason to lie..you can even ask Henry if you like...I can post a picture of his e-mail if I need to. I've know about him since I started repairing amps from the internet back in Dec 2006 (I just didn't know his real name back then until now that you keep saying it), back then he only sold the fan kit (which is a joke btw) and he didn't know how to work on these amps, today he might know a little more about these amps. As far as me, 3 years ago I already knew how to do this as good as I know today (never mind, today I know even more) I do respect the fact that Henry has more time to socialize with customers and exchange e-mails with them very often (I wish I had that time too) but I made a different choice and that was to become more knowledgeable in electronics instead of costumer relations but someday I might do the same because I know that is important too. Also check his writing style on eBay, every time hi makes an auction he writes like he was writing a book, you can tell this guy enjoys to talk. talk, talk, and so on. Me (oh snap I better get back to work on some real amps now, sorry got to go now)..
Elliott

OK, one more time. Now please listen! I really do not care. I was just posting my personal experience with someone who did contract work for me. Thats it it. I have not a single bad word about anyone else, Nada. You do not have to defend yourself to me. You never did any work for me so therefore I have no beef with you nor do I have any basis to judge you, your work or your skill and dedication nor am I trying to do so.
I suggest that you just deal with your customers and make them happy so that they will then recommend you based on their actual experience.
There is so much more that I could say but by so doing I would not add anything to this multipage trieste.

Well you said there's no way to verify, somehow that comment made me think you felt I was telling you a lie.
I don't lie (only when I have to he, he :D) but this time I don't have to, sorry if you got upset but I don't want to argue with you, I know you're just talking about your exp wit him so I guess end of story so I can get back to work now.

And not to swing mine around but 48 years in High Tech including 12 years as president of a multi hundreds of million dollar company and a published author and columnist and right now also communicating with my China office while posting this. (all true)
It seems that we never should underestimate who we are talking to and that is why I had nothing bad to say about anyone, just posting my positive experiences with someone who did a good job for me fixing a part of something that is for me but a fun hobby.

Can I have a job? Willing to relocate. B.A. from real University. Former Vice President of a 19yo 600K-750K/yr company the economy bankrupted (can verify). Seeking 30-40K salary DOJ

Back