• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Killed External I think

Snittako

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jan 12, 2011
Messages
132
Hi, I recently was transferring files to my MyBook and i tripped on the power cord and it ripped out of the wall outlet. Now whenever I try to connect it to the computer it makes screeching noises and my computer says installing device drivers failed and won't let me access it. I can't even see it as a drive in My Computer. Anyone know a work around?
 
Yeah you're kind of SOL and JWF if there's a loud screeching sound coming from the drive.
 
If you have another PC to hook it up to I would try that.

If that doesn't work, and with the noises I don't know why it would, then I would pull it out of the case (if it's out of warranty) and use a program like SpinRite 6 to try to recover the data while you can. I'm sure there are a few free programs on the Hiren's BootCD 13.1 (All Freeware now) that can also do this. For instance Raw Copy 1.2 among others, just do Ctrl+F on the page and search for terms like: recovery, and data. I am not familiar with most of the programs though.

If the disk still works when you put it inyour desktop I would recommend TeraCopy 2.12, it can do a CRC check and works good for me.

I had this happen years ago, but I honestly can't remember what I did. Maybe I put it on another PC and had to reformat? Or maybe I used Hiren's to format it, just don't remember.

Of course if it is still in warranty and you NEED your data on there, then who cares about sending it in for a replacement and loosing your data.
 
Thanks for the replies, I tried hooking it up to the motherboard and bios and windows see the wd drive but windows cannot install device drivers. Also it only screeches when its not connected to the computer and only has power going to it. I think Im gonna just replace the drive inside and consider my data lost -.-
 
Back
Top