[Kepler/GTX 680] Info's in... $400-450? + benches + thermals (56k warning)

with EVGA's new warranty, and these numbers... gosh. its very clear what i'm upgrading to :p

Pretty big euro to dollar conversion fuck up there. 426 euros is $561.26. Making this card a lot less interesting than it would be at $400

Pretty big euro to dollar conversion fuck up there. 426 euros is $561.26. Making this card a lot less interesting than it would be at $400

Overseas prices are always more than US prices anyway, but yeah, bzzzzzt on the conversion! hehe

Did I read right that it supports 4 monitors out of the box? That's a game changer for me! Not having to SLI to do trading by day and gaming by night is sexy! If this is true, I might be upgrading soon than I thought!

keplergpucomparison.png

Overseas pricing is always much higher than US pricing. Regardless, even pretending it were $500 hypothetically, it's still slamming the Radeon 7970 in every measurable way known to man a scant 10 weeks later.

Whats their "new" warranty?

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1680221

Introducing the New and Improved EVGA Global Warranty

EVGA stands firmly behind its entire product line. Products purchased on or after July 1st, 2011* will have a minimum of a 3 year warranty, registration is optional. The warranty will no longer be non-transferable, and new bonuses will be available for those that do register within 30 days of purchase!

Product warranty covers the product, not the user.
Registration is no longer required for RMAs.
Step-Up and Extended Warranty will be available for all original owners registered with the new global RMA system within 30 days of purchase.
If you move, you can send your product back to your local warranty center no matter what region you purchased it in.
A new Standard Cross-Shipping RMA service is free**.

* Recertified and 1 Year Warranty products are not included.

** A credit card will be required for this service to hold in place until EVGA gets the defective card back.
Stay tuned for more details coming April 2nd, 2012!!!

2GB is meh for a next generation flagship. I'm most interested in how much OCing room NV left on the table. We already know AMD left a metric $hit-ton and a mildly OCed 7970 will easily meet the 680 stock performance. As for balls-to-the-walls OCs on both cards, that's the real show.

They fixed the chart for BF3 on the HKEPC review, but now we have word from HWC that, regarding the NDA being down and those results...

Originally Posted by SKYMTL

It is not. So take all with a grain of salt as we don't know which driver they are using....

They may be using older drivers that make these results slower than what GTX680 will actually be :eek:.

NDA can't be down soon enough... :p.

2GB is meh for a next generation flagship. I'm most interested in how much OCing room NV left on the table. We already know AMD left a metric $hit-ton and a mildly OCed 7970 will easily meet the 680 stock performance. As for balls-to-the-walls OCs on both cards, that's the real show.

It's not a flaghsip. It's top mainstream branded as flagship. :) Same way as 570 now has less VRAM then 580. :)

Considering it's a pre-order and those tend to be overpriced, plus euros don't convert into USD directly on video card MSRP's... it's possible. Do you have the actual MSRP from a review? In the meantime I'll take what I can find, which is that.

Someone else already responded about the cost in this post. Too lazy to re-post. And there's no way of telling if this pre-order price is too high or low, so that point is moot too.

Lets think about this

GTX580 is about $400 now

so... for the 680 to be about $400, it either
a) performs slightly better than a 580 with less power usage
b) performs on par with less power usage
c) it out performs the 7970 and Nvidia is going to get a beating from its shareholders :p and praise from the hardware community

GTX 680 will be no lower than $500, most likely $550+. I'd stake my life on it ;)

I'm betting GTX 680 will be in the area of $449 once inflated prices come down and gouging.

Lets think about this

GTX580 is about $400 now

so... for the 680 to be about $400, it either
a) performs slightly better than a 580 with less power usage
b) performs on par with less power usage
c) it out performs the 7970 and Nvidia is going to get a beating from its shareholders :p and praise from the hardware community

It's not unheard of for a next-gen midrange part to outperform the previous gen's high-end at a lower price - just look at the GTX 285 -> GTX 460. The 460 was faster and $100 cheaper.

I don't see that happening here, though, since they are naming it the GTX 680 and not GTX 660 or something. It is positioned as their high-end part, so it will carry a high-end price. Probably $499, since that is what the last 3 generations of GTX x80 cards launched at.

GPUZ shows base clock of 706mhz

From what I can tell, that's based on old information that was leaked in some stories awhile ago. It's also possible that it is information based on a lower end part?

I also don't see this thing overclocking past 1.4ghz on air, considering that there was a story out not that long ago about nvidia pushing to get them past 1ghz stock.

1.4 would be pretty good considering most 7970s seem to do about 1.15 or so on air. But I feel like 1.4 might be optimistic.

I'm curious how the boost thing will work with overclocking. The other slide deck had a slide about the boost depending on power available, so I wonder if aftermarket cards with 6+8 power might overclock and boost higher.

It's not unheard of for a next-gen midrange part to outperform the previous gen's high-end at a lower price - just look at the GTX 285 -> GTX 460. The 460 was faster and $100 cheaper.

I don't see that happening here, though, since they are naming it the GTX 680 and not GTX 660 or something. It is positioned as their high-end part, so it will carry a high-end price. Probably $499, since that is what the last 3 generations of GTX x80 cards launched at.

Sure, but the GTX460 came out a fair bit AFTER the GTX480 and GTX 470 :)

and it was a further tweaked version of the Fermi core, (not the same one on the 480/470)

Sure, but the GTX460 came out a fair bit AFTER the GTX480 and GTX 470 :)

and it was a further tweaked version of the Fermi core, (not the same one on the 480/470)

I know, my point was that increased performance doesn't always imply increased price.

And the GTX 470 was cheaper than the GTX 285 also.

I know, my point was that increased performance doesn't always imply increased price.

And the GTX 470 was cheaper than the GTX 285 also.

my point is, if NV was going to drop the 580 to $399, there is no reason to release the 680 @ $399 too, it makes no sense.

sounds more like there was no GTX285 stock left and they didn't bother with a price drop since the channel was dry by the time the 470 and 460 launched.

Ok i can only wish for a monday release at freaking last, with actual reviews and availability, if anything to see the start of price wars for this generation.

BTW these numbers are closer to making sense, will be interesting to see how high can both cards overclock, and will be interesting if the perf/watt crown goes to nvidia.

Ok i can only wish for a monday release at freaking last, with actual reviews and availability, if anything to see the start of price wars for this generation.

BTW these numbers are closer to making sense, will be interesting to see how high can both cards overclock, and will be interesting if the perf/watt crown goes to nvidia.

Oops, thought I had posted this in the OP:

Perf/watt comparison of GTX680 vs. Radeon 7970:

keplerperfpower.png

More efficient than 7970. Numbers are full system load. So it consumes less in absolute terms, and perf/watt since it also outperforms the 7970 :eek:.

Back