Justifying a PS3 purchase.

kidstechno

Gawd
So I'm mainly looking for a Blu Ray player with all the holiday cash I got plus work discount, could get one for below $140-130. However, with me being a gamer at heart, I was wondering if an extra $100 would justify a PS3 purchase? (since I can also get a PS3 for around $240-250 after tax and such).

I already have an Xbox360 with Live so I can stream Netflix for free and run media from my computer, but I've gotten away from console gaming since games are expensive and bills are more expensive :rolleyes:. However, I purchased a nice 42inch 1080p Panasonic back in August which has kind of revived my interest in console gaming (however my 360 is old and doesn't have HDMI and my TV wont do 1080p through component) and I've seen PS3 games in 1080p and it's nice. But again, mainly focusing on my want of Blu-Ray combined with Netflix, would the extra $100 warrant another gaming device? What do you guys think? Does the PS3 upscale DVDs to 1080p as well?

yes it's worth the extra $100 bucks, it's got a 120gb HD, It palys games, and i hear the blue ray player is better than the cheaper blue ray players...

Yeah, you'll easily get the extra $100 worth out of it over time. There's plenty worth playing and there's a bunch of stuff it can do that you wont get with a blu-ray player.

Not to mention that Sony often changes the Blu Ray specification to add increasingly insane DRM requirements for new BD discs being sold. The most recent of which required 1gb of memory (either RAM or HDD). This made plenty of older Blu Ray players useless to play new media. The PS3 is one of the only Blu Ray player that is reliably and frequently patched to keep up with the random new DRM requirements that get thrown into the BD-ROM spec.

TL;DR version: if you want a Blu Ray player that you can reasonably be sure will play future BDs, get a PS3

Its worht the extra $160...... $60 for Uncharted 2.

it's worth the extra cost to you, but don't go crazy buying periphials and stuff like that yet

the blu ray PS3 remote is worth the price for the convenience. I can vouch for that having one myself.

You CAN use the controller just fine, I picked up the remote just for the convenience.

that's about the only peri i'd suggest. Also, the PS3 will upscale most movies in your DVD collection and shit will look GREAT on your screen

It's defidently worth it. I use my PS3 for everything, and it also works amazingly well as a media server when you use PS3 Media Server. I haven't touched my 360 in months, and not to mention the games for PS3 are amazing. Uncharted 2, Killzone 2, Metal Gear Solid 4, Heavy Rain (next year), and many others...

Any just as a side note, I watch a lot of Youtube videos and you can use the PS3's web browser to watch fullscreen Youtube videos on Youtube XL. You can also stream Netflix with the disc.

the ps3 is also the only confirmed bluray play to be compatible with the bluray 3-d movie specifications

Buy a PS3 for the BD player, and see why it had so many exclusives nominated for GOTY.

lol usually you dont have to justify getting a PS3, it is probably the best value on the market period. Can't spend $300 on a device that does that much and gives you that much fun other than the PS3.

For me, it's the opposite. My PS3 collects dust. I don't feel like spending the extra cash to use my Harmony remote with it and I am not going to buy the PS3 Bluetooth remote, so I actually wish I had something like the Samsung standalone BD player that also has the ability to connect to Netflix, Blockbuster, Youtube, and (I think) Hulu.

It would probably be a different story if I didn't have a 360 also, but since I prefer playing on my 360 (and use Media Center and stream videos to it), the PS3 doesn't bring me a lot of extra value. I don't expect that my experience is the same as others though.

My xbox360 has been collecting dust and not getting used, my ps3 collects dust but I use it quite a bit, I don't use compressed air everyday or anything like that. I like saving xbox live money.

The PS3 has way better exclusives than the 360.

Although multi platform games usually end up being better on the 360 since porting to the PS3 is hard.

Honestly though, the PS3 is worth it just for the exclusives, like MGS4, LBP, Uncharted 2, etc... oh, and Demon's Souls.

A gamer needs no justification go for it, you get one of the most future proof and top rated BD players best of all with its internet capibility it is complient with the latest BD standard and an added bonus it plays MAG, thats reason enough to have a PS/3, BTW The MAG beta will be open to all PS 3 owners as of 1/4/2010. get the system and try it out.

Absolutely, it is a fantastic system. It does nearly everything and it plays Uncharted 2, best single player game of 2009.

Get it. :)

PS3Media server + PS3 = WIN!

I agree, but I think it works on the 360 now as well.

I never, ever thought I would want a PS3(or any console, really). My dad literally dropped one into my lap for xmas of 2008... I wasn't expecting anything more than a few little trinkets so I was real surprised.

I have ended up using it to play a ton of blurays, to play tons of downloaded content, and there have been some nice games like uncharted. Totally worth getting one.

A gamer needs no justification go for it, you get one of the most future proof and top rated BD players best of all with its internet capibility it is complient with the latest BD standard and an added bonus it plays MAG, thats reason enough to have a PS/3, BTW The MAG beta will be open to all PS 3 owners as of 1/4/2010. get the system and try it out.

OK, but let's face it: There is NO SUCH THING as "Future proof", period, end of story :). PS3 probably IS the best that any bluray player will ever be (and so far, in my experience, probably the best DVD player/upscaler, too; fantastic!).

Anyway, I think PS3 is, from a hardware perspective, the best value right now. 360 still has the better game library, but PS3's is so close it's virtually a wash, so if you can only afford one, I'd buy PS3. As a gamer though, I'd get both (and now I have both, plus Wii, all of which are worth owning either alone or as a team).

OP here.

Thanks for the imput. I did indeed purchase a PS3 and have been enjoying it. Didn't realize just how many exclusives the PS3 did have that were so highly rated. Ended up downloading all the demos for them and so far I like it. Also, watching District 9 in all it's BluRay 1080p glory was enough to make the purchase warranted. Went ahead and grabbed Uncharted 2 (since I watched my roommate in college play 1 so I know the backstory at least) and should be enjoying it here shortly, as well as seeing how Netflix on PS3 does vs. Xbox360 (free disc on the way).

However, I fully intend on buying Mass Effect 2 when it comes out. Mass Effect 1 was one of my favorite games I've had the pleasure of playing.

OK, but let's face it: There is NO SUCH THING as "Future proof", period, end of story :)

Well uh, so far the PS3 has proven to be just that, by living through/supporting every change made to the Blu-ray spec, as well as being one of the fastest from the beginning.

(and so far, in my experience, probably the best DVD player/upscaler, too; fantastic!).

As far as affordable players go, it is one of the best. There are better out there, but the retukrns are minimal. most medium high - high end TVs have just as good or better upscaling though. My TV's own upscaling (see sig) produces a more natural picture that is less smeary looking for both DVDs and PS2 games.

Why am I always the naysayer? :)

I personally have never liked the PS3. Without jumping through hoops etc, here are some of my problems with it:

1) Too much fan noise during movie playback
2) Not compatible with my universal remote
3) No 5.1 analog out
4) Just doesn't look right with all my other components

That being said, for the money, and especially if you play console games (I really do not), it is a heck of a deal.

Allan

Personally, I wish that I had gone with a PS3 rather than a BluRay player. I've heard nothing but good things about it and it would have ended up saving me money in the long run.

Well uh, so far the PS3 has proven to be just that, by living through/supporting every change made to the Blu-ray spec, as well as being one of the fastest from the beginning.

As far as affordable players go, it is one of the best. There are better out there, but the retukrns are minimal. most medium high - high end TVs have just as good or better upscaling though. My TV's own upscaling (see sig) produces a more natural picture that is less smeary looking for both DVDs and PS2 games.

Nonsense. Firmware updates to add features does NOT make PS3 future proof. PC's have been getting firmware updates since time immemorial and not one of them has successfully avoided being superceded by more advanced hardware down the road. Neither will or has PS3, 360, Wii, or anything else.

As a bluray player, PS3 is, as far as I can tell, the best of the bunch precisely because it's so friendly for getting updates. With that said, my understanding is that any 2.0 spec bluray player should be just as friendly.

Anyway, I don't think you can go wrong with a PS3 purchase. Just sayin': like anything else, the day will come when it's relegated to the closet to make room for the next big thing :)

Nonsense. Firmware updates to add features does NOT make PS3 future proof. PC's have been getting firmware updates since time immemorial and not one of them has successfully avoided being superceded by more advanced hardware down the road. Neither will or has PS3, 360, Wii, or anything else.

As a bluray player, PS3 is, as far as I can tell, the best of the bunch precisely because it's so friendly for getting updates. With that said, my understanding is that any 2.0 spec bluray player should be just as friendly.

Anyway, I don't think you can go wrong with a PS3 purchase. Just sayin': like anything else, the day will come when it's relegated to the closet to make room for the next big thing :)

lol of course nothing is future proof forever.

My PS3 is my bluray player plus the ability to play sony exclusives is nice too

My friend has a BluRay player and my PS3 loads up movies much faster.

Do it for the blu ray.

I'd say do it for the games, bluray is "meh" in most cases.

Uncharted is awesome (and if you find the controller bundle for $59, you effectively get Uncharted for $5, which is a steal!).

MGS4 is awesome

InFamous is awesome

Warhawk is fun and can be bought for $20 (don't buy it off PSN for $30, total ripoff for something you see at retail all the time for $10 less, and the retail version has the headset included!)

God of War collection is nice

Little Big Planet is awesome

The list continues, of course. In any case, PS3 is worth having, and if you're looking for a bd player anyway, PS3 is the way to go. If you're really on the fence, wait for a bundle to go on sale, you can bet there will be some throughout the year.

If there is games you want on the PS3 then get the PS3. If you need advice on what games to get you shouldn't be getting a ps3.. stick with the bluray player alone.

What is wrong with asking for game advice, not everyone knows every title out for a ps3, i didnt, i grabbed games based off of recommendations from people, i prefer it that way as you get to hear people who have actually played the games and no just hype from online sites paid to give great reviews.

So I'm mainly looking for a Blu Ray player with all the holiday cash I got plus work discount, could get one for below $140-130. However, with me being a gamer at heart, I was wondering if an extra $100 would justify a PS3 purchase? (since I can also get a PS3 for around $240-250 after tax and such).

I already have an Xbox360 with Live so I can stream Netflix for free and run media from my computer, but I've gotten away from console gaming since games are expensive and bills are more expensive :rolleyes:. However, I purchased a nice 42inch 1080p Panasonic back in August which has kind of revived my interest in console gaming (however my 360 is old and doesn't have HDMI and my TV wont do 1080p through component) and I've seen PS3 games in 1080p and it's nice. But again, mainly focusing on my want of Blu-Ray combined with Netflix, would the extra $100 warrant another gaming device? What do you guys think? Does the PS3 upscale DVDs to 1080p as well?
I'd say yes it's worth it. As far as DVDs and Blu-ray capabilities go, it's every bit as good as any player you'll find in the $140 range. Additionally, though many of those $150 players come with online features like Amazon On Demand and BD Live, most only have Ethernet connections. So unless you've got your router under your television, I'd say the WiFi alone is probably worth about $30 of the $100 difference.

Beyond that, I think that most of the difference in value is in the games. In the last year to year-and-a-half, the PS3 has really come into its own. The library is really solid now, and includes some outstanding exclusives, like Little Big Planet and Uncharted 2, that you just can't get on other platforms. So I'd say, if you're at all interested in any of the PS3 exclusive games, go ahead and take the plunge and spend the extra money.

That said, if you're just looking to play multi-platform titles, you may want to hold back. Most games aren't going to look noticeably better on the PS3 than they do on the Xbox 360, not because of the capabilities of the system, but because most developers just don't have that much time to devote to making two different versions of the same game.

He already made the right decision by purchasing the PS3. No need to justify it to him anymore. I do however, recommend you get a VGA cable for your 360 if you want to upscale your 360 games to 1080p.

Unless you desire the PS3 exclusive titles, I would save yourself the money. However, $100 isn't much these days, and it wouldn't hurt to have a game system there in case an exclusive title comes out that you are aching to play.

Back