Just when I thought Need for Speed was making a comeback...

Viper87227

Fully [H]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vR693MTwzq8

No gameplay shown, but the concept sounds terrible. Haven't they learned by now the leave the "story" out of these games?

Shift was great, and then they drop the NFS moniker. Hot Pursuit 2 was a breath of fresh air, I was hoping it would bring the series back to its roots. I imagine this is going to be awful. Oh well, it was fun while it laster.

I wish they'd make Need for Speed High Stakes again...

(complete with that sort of music)

I wish they'd make Need for Speed High Stakes again...

(complete with that sort of music)

I really wish they would straight up remake one of the old games. Hot Pursuit was close, but still not quite what I wanted.

Give me a straight up closed course exotic racer. I miss those days. I played the shit out of NFS 3.

I was considering getting one since I have the triple monitor setup nowdays. I haven't had a racing game since the Matrox Mystique! It came with Destruction Derby 2.

Different developers. Shift 2 is Slightly Mad Studios. NFS: HP was Criterion. On the Run is EA Black Box.

In need for speed, whenever you're making a turn, that's usually the point where you're at the optimal racing line (or only drivable line) and the game suddenly throws an incoming car or truck at your racing line. I hate that!

It's actually gotten so predictable that i would actually intentionally go into a less than optimal line, and then swerve to the optimal one mid turn as a way of 'deflecting' incoming traffic.

I really wish they'd stop doing putting that in their games!

I haven't played most wanted, I tried one of the newer rice rocket ones and was immediately put off. It's just a grind to unlock parts, no skill involved really. Plus, as a car nut I loathe movies like Fast and the Furious and this kind of scene.

Real cars don't have stickers on them.

Haven't they learned by now the leave the "story" out of these games?

Yeah really, who the fuck plays NFS for the story? No one cares about the plot. We want to drive a fucking Lambo, Ferrari, or some other exotic car we'll never be able to afford like a boss in scenic locations. I loved NFS 1, 2, 3, High Stakes, and HP2 (PS2 version). The Shift series is a decent spin off though. The new HP is ok but not quite the level of NFS3 or HP2. I also miss the pimp vids of the cars driving around while someone narrates the specs. Ah those were the days...

The NFS series has been in the hole for a long time. I admit I did like NFS Underground games, but that was pretty much the last ones I enjoyed.

Real cars don't have stickers on them.

Except basically every single race car ever made? :p

Another vote for Most Wanted update. What they could actually do is make Hot Pursuit 2 on the scale of Burnout Paradise (or dare I say bigger!) and that'd be pretty close. I was a bit gutted the Hot Pursuit didn't have true sandbox like Most Wanted/Burnout Paradise.

Burnout Paradise is still the best arcade racer out IMO. Absolutely amazing game.

:p honesty though if you gave me a choice between an ugly sleeper and a gaudy slow car, which woudl you choose?

Doesn't look slow to me ;)

Nah I'm a car nut and I'm not a huge fan of tuner cars, I like old school muscle cars, but I also love race cars, spent 3 years on an amateur race team, also one of my friends has a "tuner" 750 RWHP 200SX which is pretty damn cool as well ;)

Aston_Martin_DBR9_GT1_2006_No_007.jpg

I was considering getting one since I have the triple monitor setup nowdays. I haven't had a racing game since the Matrox Mystique! It came with Destruction Derby 2.

Ahhhh, the Matrox Mystique... Memories...

I like my NFS this way. My favorite in the series are NFSU and NFSU 2. I personaly hated Shift. GT5 and Forza dumb all over it imo. I like my NFS riced out and arcady. :D

Has anyone ever watched the Mischief series by Teckademics? http://www.teckademics.com/mischief3000.html

These guys meet up for something called the Gumball 3000. Bunch of people meet in New York City and drive to Hollywood, California. They basically go on a road trip with Ferraris, Lamborghinis, Aston Martins... Hundreds of people go on this trip... all rich I assume because some of the cars they drive are crazy. They basically chronicle the whole trip/road trip. They run from the cops, speed (Going like 180mph on the highway), and Mischief series is all about cars and chronicling these races. Every DVD they release they chronicle these races. That is what these made me think of. If you are a car fan, then check out the DVDs... "The Run" instantly reminded me of these videos.

I really wish they would straight up remake one of the old games. Hot Pursuit was close, but still not quite what I wanted.

Give me a straight up closed course exotic racer. I miss those days. I played the shit out of NFS 3.

Sadly, I think those days are long gone. Out of all the NFS games made in the last 5-6 years, Hot Pursuit (2010) had the closest feel to the classic NFS series, but it's still a far cry from the true classic NFS experience.

I would be happy if EA just re-released the old games -- possibly in a bundled edition (hell, even if they were bundled with one of their cruddy new games) -- untouched with exception to full compatibility with XP, Vista, and Windows 7. Getting these old games to run well is a nightmare and some of them, like NFSII:SE, are next to impossible to install.

I'm a long-time fan of the series, but there really isn't a whole lot left to do with it that doesn't involve some kind of technological jump or rehashing what they've already done.
Sure, I'd like to see a remake of Most Wanted or even Underground, but with a new game hitting every year they've pretty much beaten the concept into the ground. Especially considering they make the games for every platform and the portable versions often end up being totally different and often are similar to the old games as a result.
A story-based game is really the only thing they haven't done to death, no matter how bad it has the potential to be.

I hope they give the series a rest for a while. What I'd much rather see is a new Burnout game. We haven't gotten one of those in a while.

Porsche Unleashed was a divisive NFS game. People either loved or hated it.
IMO, it started off poorly just because there was very little sense of speed with the older cars and the more realistic controls and physics were a bit of a departure for some fans.
Still, once you got to the more modern cars it was really good.
It's probably also worth mentioning that it was quite the system crippler when it was released, too. I had a pretty solid gaming system for the time and I definitely had to tweak it down to make the game run well.
The tracks were among the best in the series, IMO. You just had to either skip story mode or play through the first few hours knowing that the game would get a lot better later.

Hopefully it's more like Most Wanted. Really didn't like the latest Hot Pursuit, i thought the handling was pretty crappy and the tracks weren't all that good.

I think I'm hoping for a game similar to Most Wanted as well. For a NFS game it actually did have a plot (like the Underground games), the controls were good, and they did a good job having an open world.
It took a lot of what they did right with Underground 2 and fixed all of the problems with physics and tediousness.

I'd say it was probably my 2nd favorite behind Hot Pursuit, and I really think a remake of Hot Pursuit would be a bit needless these days.

I hope that if this game disappoints that they'll shelve the series for a while. A new game every year really is too much. It's why they're so hit and miss, and why the hits are getting less and less common.

Back