• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Just pulled the trigger on Xfx 4890 :-)

That is the opposite of what I have read and seen. At 1680x1050 the 4890 beats the GTX275 in every game I play. Anyway I don't think anyone really loses here. Both cards are great and have a great price. I'm not an ATI or Nvidia fanboy, I just like what card will give me the most for my $. I've never had driver problems with either ATI or Nvidia. At the moment I like the 4 series from ATI. Next generation maybe it will be nvidia. But like I said with these cards so close in performance these days its win win for us consumers price wise :)
 
congrats. I personally dont see the benefit over your previous 4870, but if you have the money why not feed the economy.
 
Finally I was looking for a reason to justify my purchase :) To stimulate the economy :) I like that...
 
Just buying the 4890 is enough justification. The money is yours, spend it how you please.
 
I know I'd rather have a 4890 over a 4870. If you can buy it then enjoy it. It's your money.
I'm happy with my HD4850s in crossfire and they met my budget and perform very well.
 
Is the free OCZ USB drive an offer exclusive only to Newegg.com or would Canadian sites like NCIX also have the same offering?
 
i think thats only a newegg deal, but NCIX had the 4890 for $289 on launch so i bought it...thats compared to $315 what newegg had
 
The 4890 consumes slightly less power than the 4870 at idle and slightly more at load.

Actually, Xbitlabs measured the power consumption and under load the HD 4890 consumed 120.3w under load compared to 130w for the HD 4870; roughly 10w less. They stated the results were repeatable with only a 0.7w variance.

Additionally, a stock HD 4890 runs cooler (55C idle, 68C load) than a HD 4870 (78C idle, 90C load)

Noise level is on par with the HD 4870 idle and load.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/radeon-hd4890_6.html#sect0
 
Woot couldn't wait pulled the trigger on the XFX 4890 Extreme $290 out the door with a free 4 GB OCZ Flash Drive and the new HAWX PC game for free as well....I already sold my 4870 for $160 and some ram for $20 so it cost me about $120 to upgrade not bad...I'll be sticking my artic cooling twin turbo on this as well...I game at 1680x1050 and every review I saw showed that the 4890 was faster than the GTX275 at almost every game at that res. Can't wait to try it out...

You wasted your money. The only good thing that you will get out of this is the free flash drive.
 
Additionally, a stock HD 4890 runs cooler (55C idle, 68C load) than a HD 4870 (78C idle, 90C load)
As far as idle goes, they probably just fixed the 2D Powerplay settings.
Seriously the original 4800's are messed up in that area.
 
HAWX may be a rare game designed for AA. I went from 800x600/60 Hz NI/no AA to 1024x768/75 Hz NI/2xAA and frame rates actually went up. (Consider that I'm on the rig shown below, would that make any sense?) I'm running the current Catalyst 9.3s (Vista 64-bit); however, I'm also running it on PCIe graphics so wimpy that the configuration isn't even available anymore. And in a flying game, turning up the AA makes all sorts of sense (it certainly applied to FSX).

Sounds like you're just CPU limited. Whenever you raise the resolution/aa and you see no dip in performance it usually means your CPU is holding you back.
 
Actually, Xbitlabs measured the power consumption and under load the HD 4890 consumed 120.3w under load compared to 130w for the HD 4870; roughly 10w less. They stated the results were repeatable with only a 0.7w variance.

Additionally, a stock HD 4890 runs cooler (55C idle, 68C load) than a HD 4870 (78C idle, 90C load)

Noise level is on par with the HD 4870 idle and load.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/radeon-hd4890_6.html#sect0
I was going by HardOCP's results. They show otherwise.
 
Got my 4890 yesterday and the fracking thing is DOA! I'm so pissed right now. Its going to take like a week to get another one....
 
Got my 4890 yesterday and the fracking thing is DOA! I'm so pissed right now. Its going to take like a week to get another one....

I have 2 on the way -- really hoping I don't run in to this. It wouldn't exactly be the "welcome back" to ATI that I'm hoping for.

Prior to my 8800 GTXs (I was running SLI, then Tri-SLI for a while) I had...
3DFX Voodoo3 3500 -> ATI Rage 128 Pro 32MB -> Radeon DDR 64MB -> Radeon 9700 Pro 128MB -> Radeon X800XT 256MB

So, up until the GTX, which was simply trouncing everything in the world beyond any hope of recourse when I bought the first one, I was sticking to the "red team".

I've found that I do like Nvidia's drivers and control panel a lot better, but I can't justify the cost of a pair of 285s and am tired of the various quirks with Nvidia chipset motherboards... so it's time to try again.

Good luck getting a replacement.
 
Just stuck my 2 new xfx 4890s in and they are quieter than expected. I installed the 9.4 drivers, put the cards to 900/1100, and left the fan control on auto. I don't think the fan sped up while benching or playing cod4, stays around 25%, and highest temp I saw was in the 60s when i jumped back to ati ccc to look at temp as quickly as i could. I thought i was going to have to buy aftermarket coolers because of noise, but all seems well as is....
 
Got my 4890 yesterday and the fracking thing is DOA! I'm so pissed right now. Its going to take like a week to get another one....

I had 2 x 4870s die within month. Looks like ATI still using sub standard hardware. Oh well my GTX 280 OCs great and runs cool watercooled.
 
Okay, fair enough.

I prefer Xbitlabs since their setup allows them to measure the power consumption of just the GPU.
Well, I'm not disputing the fact that Xbit's results might be accurate (I find it to be a very good site, in fact). It's just that I hadn't seen their article at the time I made my post. To be on the safe side, I would just consider power consumption between the 4870 and 4890 to be comparable (albeit with an advantage for the 4890 at idle).
 
I had 2 x 4870s die within month. Looks like ATI still using sub standard hardware. Oh well my GTX 280 OCs great and runs cool watercooled.

Take that elsewhere please..:rolleyes:

ATI makes fantastic cards, I have never had issues with any of mine.
 
I've had exactly 1 ATI card (a 9600 IIRC) and umm... Probably half a dozen NV cards 'least (all the way back to Riva's & TNTs). I've actually only had one of all those cards die, and it was defective from the day I got it but I kept it as it was for a few months before using BFG's awesome warranty. I've had HDs from all major manufacturers and the only two that have failed on me were an IBM Deathstar (defective 75GXP line) and a Quantum, which were usually the amongst the drives that 'least failed back in the day.

You can get lemons from any company, even a string of successive ones (I actually had to RMA that BFG card like 2x 'till I got a working one).
 
Sounds like you're just CPU limited. Whenever you raise the resolution/aa and you see no dip in performance it usually means your CPU is holding you back.

It could be the CPU, or it could even be I/O (hard drive) bounding (I have a SATA-150 hard drive). That doesn't make the point go away that, for once, it actually does pay to crank up the AA in a title other than a shooter.
 
I had 2 x 4870s die within month. Looks like ATI still using sub standard hardware. Oh well my GTX 280 OCs great and runs cool watercooled.

This guy was using volt mods and overclocking his 4870s to "900MHz," that is why his cards died off on him.
 
Back
Top