• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Just pulled the trigger on Xfx 4890 :-)

zod96

Suspected BAD TRADER
Joined
Feb 23, 2008
Messages
2,709
Woot couldn't wait pulled the trigger on the XFX 4890 Extreme $290 out the door with a free 4 GB OCZ Flash Drive and the new HAWX PC game for free as well....I already sold my 4870 for $160 and some ram for $20 so it cost me about $120 to upgrade not bad...I'll be sticking my artic cooling twin turbo on this as well...I game at 1680x1050 and every review I saw showed that the 4890 was faster than the GTX275 at almost every game at that res. Can't wait to try it out...
 
Woot couldn't wait pulled the trigger on the XFX 4890 Extreme $290 out the door with a free 4 GB OCZ Flash Drive and the new HAWX PC game for free as well....I already sold my 4870 for $160 and some ram for $20 so it cost me about $120 to upgrade not bad...I'll be sticking my artic cooling twin turbo on this as well...I game at 1680x1050 and every review I saw showed that the 4890 was faster than the GTX275 at almost every game at that res. Can't wait to try it out...

you bought a 4890 for a 22"? what games are you playing?
 
Lol yeah I know I know overkill :) Usually its BF2, GRID, OBLIVION, Fear 2, Farcry 2 I wanted to pad it a little I guess...
 
If you already had the 4870 1GB your games should have been maxed out at that resolution, so basically you just wasted $120..but thats JMO. You should have waited another generation.
 
The XFX 4890 seems to be a popular pick among the 4890 brand. :)

Don't forget to register for the warranty,

I'd test out Hawx first just to see the rendering quality. :p
 
Is Hawx supposed to be full of eye-candy? I saw it playing at BB on a 4xxx series card and it didn't look that impressive, even played it for like 10 min... I checked it was running at 1920x1200 but didn't bother checking much beyond that, maybe everything else was off. Regardless I agree that for $120 that upgrade was beyond excessive... Unless you plan to upgrade your display soon, and even still.

I'm on a 24"/1920x1200 panel and trying to decide between a GTX 260 ($160 w/FC2) and a 4890 ($230) and I'm not even sure I can justify the $70 premium... On stock performance alone it's definitely not worth it (for what, a bit more of AA?) but the 4890 does OC rather well and it does run cooler, that's the only thing that might sway me to spend the extra $.
 
i had the hawx demo running on my 4870 512 at 19x12 with 4x/2x aa and 16xaf and it was at 60-70+ fps.
 
Can't you get GTX 280's for that price?
Whatever suits you, though.
 
Can you let us know if the drivers work? My Sapphire 4890 would not work with the drivers on the disc or off of the website. I had to find the 9.4 beta drivers for the card to work.
 
Is Hawx supposed to be full of eye-candy? I saw it playing at BB on a 4xxx series card and it didn't look that impressive, even played it for like 10 min... I checked it was running at 1920x1200 but didn't bother checking much beyond that, maybe everything else was off. Regardless I agree that for $120 that upgrade was beyond excessive... Unless you plan to upgrade your display soon, and even still.

I'm on a 24"/1920x1200 panel and trying to decide between a GTX 260 ($160 w/FC2) and a 4890 ($230) and I'm not even sure I can justify the $70 premium... On stock performance alone it's definitely not worth it (for what, a bit more of AA?) but the 4890 does OC rather well and it does run cooler, that's the only thing that might sway me to spend the extra $.

HAWX may be a rare game designed for AA. I went from 800x600/60 Hz NI/no AA to 1024x768/75 Hz NI/2xAA and frame rates actually went up. (Consider that I'm on the rig shown below, would that make any sense?) I'm running the current Catalyst 9.3s (Vista 64-bit); however, I'm also running it on PCIe graphics so wimpy that the configuration isn't even available anymore. And in a flying game, turning up the AA makes all sorts of sense (it certainly applied to FSX).
 
I don't think less jaggies would've made it any more impressive to me though, ground textures were pretty bland, there wasn't a lot of architecture, and the explosions didn't seem all that jazzy either... Like I said maybe it was running at 1920 but all the graphic effects were turned down regardless or something, or maybe the level running just wasn't meant to be a showcase, didn't look all that pretty regardless.
 
i had the hawx demo running on my 4870 512 at 19x12 with 4x/2x aa and 16xaf and it was at 60-70+ fps.

While up until recently, you generally did not want to add AA because performance would usually tank, that may no longer be the case. I've run into two games (Burnout Paradise and H.A.W.X.) where adding AA resulted in no change (Burnout Paradise) or a performance gain (H.A.W.X.). The only thing they have in common? Neither is a shooter or strategy title. However, the very fact that you can add AA and not have performance go south is a definite benefit.
 
Can't you get GTX 280's for that price?
Whatever suits you, though.

4890 is about on par with a GTX280 esp if you OC. so the price is not that far out of line, esp for a new release
 
I think they flirted with 49xx and having multiple SKU's (besides OC and non-OC variants) but decided against it. I mean, NV went from GTX 260 to GTX 275, and the GTX 275's no closer to the GTX 280 than it is to the GTX 260 (core 216)... :p None of their naming schemes make any sense, never have. I think we lost all hope of that after the GF4 Ti4200. ;)
 
Well a couple of reasons really, I got a $40 game that I was going to buy anyway for free. I also got a $20 flash drive for free that I was going to buy. I sold my 4870 $160 and some memory for $20 so if you factor in the free game and flash drive it cost me about $75 to upgrade and get what I want not bad....
 
I'm on a 24"/1920x1200 panel and trying to decide between a GTX 260 ($160 w/FC2) and a 4890 ($230) and I'm not even sure I can justify the $70 premium... On stock performance alone it's definitely not worth it (for what, a bit more of AA?) but the 4890 does OC rather well and it does run cooler, that's the only thing that might sway me to spend the extra $.
I'm thinking along those same lines. For my new 24" display, I'm currently looking at an EVGA 260-216 55nm w/ free Call of Duty 5 for $240 CDN and an XFX 4890 w/ HAWX for $299 CDN. Or even a 65nm 260-215 for $221. Just like you, $70 premium. I'm actually leaning toward the 260, as I can at least use it for dedicated PhysX/Havok down the road when the new DX11 cards crash the party. The GTX 275 is tempting, but it's likely to be even more expensive than the 4890 and even harder to justify, especially if the 260s drop in price even more.

The only thing that might get me on board with a 275 is XFX. If they bundle something kickass with it, and Newegg offers the free CoD on top of that (the "out of stock" 275s on Newegg.com show that to be the case), I might be convinced assuming the bundle/free gift somewhat offset the upfront cost. If it's FC2 again, forget it. Bought that off Steam for $15 last weekend.

Enjoy your new card, OP!
 
How'd you like FC2? I haven't played either of 'em yet and most people seemed to like CoD4 more than WaW so I was leaning towards the MSI GTX 260 w/FC2 (that and the cheapest core 216 EVGA is like $20 more, if it was just $10 I'd probably go EVGA regardless of the bundled game)... I think I'm just about ready to stop mulling it over... I actually wanted a 4870 originally because it's smaller (I'll have to swap cases on this system w/another one to fit the GTX 260 in, bleh), but they've seemingly gone up in price at the Egg and haven't come down even after the 4890 release...

Who in their right mind would pay $190-220 for a 4870 when the 4890's go for $230 after MIR? I dunno what's up w/4870 pricing but they're gonna completely cannibalize their own lineup if they don't lower 'em. What's weird is that the GTX 260's and even 4850's dropped and dropped and never came back up, but the 4870 1GB's went back up for some reason.
 
How'd you like FC2?

It's okay. I can see why people bag on it, but it's worth $15. I don't think I'd pay $29.99 though (regular retail at the moment). It's like a mix between Mercs 2 and Crysis. Lots of missions, open ground, pretty trees and endless travel. The fire is cool. :p But yeah, I hear the same about WaW, but I'm a big CoD fan. I don't mind scripted, linear shooters so long as they tell a good story. Plus, Kiefer Sutherland (24 kicks ass) and Gary Oldman? Two of my favorite actors. The big consideration for me is price. WaW goes for $50. FC2 only $29 ($15 in my case).

Nvidia is shooting themselves in the foot too, with the 275 and the 285. The 285 was a hard sell even before the 275. Barring a major price drop, it's now almost impossible to justify.

Sorry to 'jack your thread, OP. How's HAWX? I'm usually not big on arcade air combat games, but occasionally one comes along that grabs me.
 
I wish I had money to burn :) But I know a good deal when I see it :)
 
Just a guaranteed overclock, and usually a cherry-picked chip to squeeze a little more juice out of. Really though, it's usually not worth the premium.
 
Just a guaranteed overclock, and usually a cherry-picked chip to squeeze a little more juice out of. Really though, it's usually not worth the premium.

+1 not worth the premium

Also the extreme is 25MHz higher. Do they really need to cherry-pick the chips? I'm not too familiar with videocard scene.
 
On another forum I went everyone was convinced there was slightly more voltage to make the cards more stable. If that is the case you can do that on your own now, so there is not much point in doing that. I wouldn't say these cards are cherry picked, but checked to make sure they're stable at said clocks.
 
Remember I also got a free game that I was going to buy anyway for $40 and a $20 flash drive that I was going to buy. So that saved me $60 right their.
 
I can see people buying this if they don't have a 4870 but it really doesn't seem like much of an upgrade over a 4870 especially since a 4870 should be able to be OC to a 4890.

Good deal for the overall package with the other stuff you got though.

Do you know if the 4890 uses less power than the 4870? Better power consumption would be a good reason to upgrade as well.

Let us know how the new card works out. I'm intrested in seeing how it performs for "real" people.
 
Remember I also got a free game that I was going to buy anyway for $40 and a $20 flash drive that I was going to buy. So that saved me $60 right their.

I always factor in freebies when crunching the numbers (with the exception of MIRs, I don't much care for 'em), so long as the bonuses are items I intend to purchase regardless. If a card is pricey from a price/performance standpoint, enough freebies can level the field.
 
I can see people buying this if they don't have a 4870 but it really doesn't seem like much of an upgrade over a 4870 especially since a 4870 should be able to be OC to a 4890.

"should" be able to, but not guaranteed

What is the average overclock on a 4870?

and seems like you are forgetting that the 4890 overclocks well also. How likely is it that a 4870 could reach the speed of average overclocked 4890s?
 
Do you know if the 4890 uses less power than the 4870? Better power consumption would be a good reason to upgrade as well.
The 4890 consumes slightly less power than the 4870 at idle and slightly more at load.
How likely is it that a 4870 could reach the speed of average overclocked 4890s?
Pretty much impossible. 4890s seem to be hitting 950MHz and up on stock cooling. If you're lucky, you might hit 850MHz on a 4870.
 
guru3d review got theirs from

core 850 MHz -> 971mhz
ram 3900 -> 4400mhz

stock cooling. 4870s are great but cant touch that core or bandwidth, quite frankly.
 
guru3d review got theirs from

core 850 MHz -> 971mhz
ram 3900 -> 4400mhz

stock cooling. 4870s are great but cant touch that core or bandwidth, quite frankly.



Wasn't aware of that.

How much percentage increase is there for overall performance between a 4870 and a 4890?



I'll keep a look out for it at the Orb 3dMark06 results page.
 
[H]'s review of the 4890 has Apples to Apples comparisons as well as thier gameplay evaluation tests... It's not a huge jump, but it's hard to draw an average % since it can change so much from game to game, and can be so meaningless in one game compared to another (5-10fps more isn't the same thing when you're already running at 2560x1600 w/8x AA as it is when you're barely able to run 1920x1200 w/2x AA or no AA for instance). That's why [H]'s evaluations are so useful... ;)
 
I bought a 4890 and i have a gtx 285. I am going to try some cf. Also stepping up to the gtx 275 from my gtx 260 216.....it's a hobbie. I have heard all the 4890s will do at least 900 core and that ati pulled the ref clock back to 850, so card companies can oc them and get more $$$$$$. Looks like it worked!
 
Woot couldn't wait pulled the trigger on the XFX 4890 Extreme $290 out the door with a free 4 GB OCZ Flash Drive and the new HAWX PC game for free as well....I already sold my 4870 for $160 and some ram for $20 so it cost me about $120 to upgrade not bad...I'll be sticking my artic cooling twin turbo on this as well...I game at 1680x1050 and every review I saw showed that the 4890 was faster than the GTX275 at almost every game at that res. Can't wait to try it out...

Seems like a super waste of cash to me. You'll get about 3 fps more from that card vs. the 4870. SO that's like $40 a frame. Also, most reviews I see show the GTX 275 beating the 4890 at that res when you put some AA on.
 
I don't care why you bought it. Congrats, I hope you enjoy your new card bro. :D
 
Back
Top