Just ordered the Dell UltraSharp 2209WA

I ordered 3 about 2 weeks ago through a dell sales rep, and I also just got a ship notification!!!

My original estimated ship date was supposed to be late september, so those of you waiting don't lose out hop, they'll be coming sooner than you think!

Just wanted to back up the other claims here. I ordered through the cached page on the 29th, order posted as shipped today and due the 4th at my door.

Thanks to whomever posted that cached link, my trusty 2001FP is dying fast!

update:
after looking at my new lcd screen about a month now, i discovered that my samsung 2693hm tn panel image quality sucks compared to my new dell 2209wa eips panel.

the 2209wa is definately better.

it kind of reminds me when there were dual-scan panels and tn panels only.

Last edited:
left side of my screen is more red than the right side. sucks. A01 made in china.

I swear mine is developing a dark vertical "bar" about 1/2'' thick...but I can only see it out of the corner of my eye on bright pages. It's driving me nuts.

Hmm... according to Fedex, dell hasn't actually sent mine yet. Was supposed to be out the door 4 days ago and get here tomorrow, but looks like they are stalling it for whatever reason, it's still in their warehouse definitley. Did anyone elses actually ship?

Does this monitor have an option on the OSD for 4:3 scaling? ie: When im running a game like CSS in 800 x 600, i dont want it to be stretched across the screen. Some monitors have an option which add's black bars to the left and right so the asepct ratio is correct when you are not running native resolution.

no, but anything on the pc should now be fixed scale in graphics driver now. nvidia has option for scaling preserving aspect ratio, which will basically not stretch 4:3.

I swear mine is developing a dark vertical "bar" about 1/2'' thick...but I can only see it out of the corner of my eye on bright pages. It's driving me nuts.

On the phone with support to see about getting my SECOND replacement. Major quality control issues with this model.

I notice no ghosting on this monitor at all. From my understanding what really matters for ghosting is input lag, which this monitor has almost none of. There is a thread about it somwhere in the displays forum.

agreed,

On every other lcd I have owned and especially on TN's simply moving the mouse around creates a shadow behind it. This 2209WA doesnt do that it feels like a CRT. Another example is scrolling black text up and down on a web page, on TN's and to a lesser degree on VA's you see the black lag, doesnt do it on this monitor.

Noone has ever explained to me why the lag I am describing is worst on my TN screens when TN are supposed to have the least lag.

agreed,

On every other lcd I have owned and especially on TN's simply moving the mouse around creates a shadow behind it. This 2209WA doesnt do that it feels like a CRT. Another example is scrolling black text up and down on a web page, on TN's and to a lesser degree on VA's you see the black lag, doesnt do it on this monitor.

Noone has ever explained to me why the lag I am describing is worst on my TN screens when TN are supposed to have the least lag.

I've noticed the same on my old TN panel LCD's. It's not overly annoying, but it's definitely there. Never owned a VA, so can't comment on that. My current 2001FP is doing the same thing here even with black background and white text. I've never paid attention to it before though, and there is admittedly problems with this LCD right now.

Off topic but I've never seen an LCD go south as fast as this 2001FP. It's definitely old, I bought it brand new right when they came out, been a great monitor and lasted a long time. But one day it just simply started doing strange things out of nowhere. Sure there's a perception timeline there, but wow it's been happening fast.

Started doing the following in order:

1) Started to notice a strong burn-in on the XP taskbar. I use the silver theme, so it's very apparent.

2) about a week later I noticed some washout on the left half of the LCD. It's very uniform and has a definite contrast line. About 60% towards the left side, there is a definite loss of focus and color wash.

3) Two days after I noticed the washout, I could see a strong wave pattern in the taskbar. It's mixed in color in a "bleed" effect from the bottom of the monitor. The bottom right corner shows the wave at it's highest, with one peak about 1 1/2 to 2" high. Since the wave at the bottom appeared, I've also noticed a slight loss of viewing angle. I'd say about 10-15 degrees. A pixel flash utility corrected some of the burn-in and the wave, but it's still slightly visible. Looks like I have an EKG reading at the bottom now, lol.

4) I've always had 1 dead pixel. It was back when Dell wouldn't honor replacements for dead pixel counts less than 7. Since the other issues, pixel count has increased to 5 that I can see. It happens over the course of a day, usually after a power cycle. It went from 1 to 3 to 4 and now 5. Afraid to power down anymore till I get the 2209WA.

None of the images I use on the monitor are consistent with the burn-ins/wave pattern. It's definitely not a question of what I had displayed there for a long time. I used to play WoW a ton, and I had seen some burn-in issues in the taskbar associated with that, but they're long gone now and the weirdness on the screen definitely doesn't resemble my WoW actionbar at all.

It's possessed!

Got mine today. LCDs don't get burn in, they do get image retention which goes away.

Anyways, very good impressions so far. Got one dead red pixel a bit off center, not noticeable at all.

Viewing angles on the 2209WA are just mind blowing. Absolutely flawless.

I'm a CRT lover, and this LCD isn't nearly as jarring as others I've used.

Not 100% sure how I feel about input lag and ghosting in games yet. Input lag is definitely noticeable, but it's not horrible. I'm super sensitive to that kind of stuff.

Otherwise I'm noticing things I've noticed with other LCDs like games don't feel as smooth even when they're running at 60fps as they do on a CRT.

So far I'd say I'm very happy, but I'm going to need a few weeks to really tell once and for all if I can finally ditch CRTs for my PC monitor.

I ordered 3 about 2 weeks ago through a dell sales rep, and I also just got a ship notification!!!

My original estimated ship date was supposed to be late september, so those of you waiting don't lose out hop, they'll be coming sooner than you think!

Are you setting this up in a 3 monitor setup? Are you going to do all 3 side by side, or normal in the middle with 2x portrait orientation on the sides? Please post pics if you do the portrait setup...

(if you can't tell, really considering buying 3x of these)

I don't think LCD can "burn in", or at least it isnt supposed to.

They all can get retention if neglected enough. If the brightness is high, and a contrasty image is up, it can temporarily burn in.

They definitely can. That's why the 2209 has a feature built in called "LCD conditioning".

Unlike their 2709W though, the feature is accessible through service menus only unless I'm mistaken. I should probably read the manual though :)

Unlike their 2709W though, the feature is accessible through service menus only unless I'm mistaken. I should probably read the manual though :)

Nope, I already found the feature, that's how I found my dead red pixel.

Yup 3 monitor setup is the plan. I think I'm going to go with the separate Ergotron LX desk mounts for each one, that way I have the most flexibility in how I want to position them. Looking to set them up side by side.

I'll post up pics as soon as its all set up and my rats nest of a desk is all cleaned up.

It looks like Fedex will be dropping these off a day early (well 2 out of the 3 anyways), and I'll be getting them today! I'm pumped - fingers crossed for 3 flawless monitors.

Well I now have one of my 2209wa's here and hooked up to my work laptop. And I can say it definitely blows away my old 21" Samsung TN that I was using before.

And I have to say, portrait mode for a developer is fantastic! Have no idea why I never used it before. Too bad my laptop only supports output to a max of 2 displays.

About my previous input lag comments. When I disable vsync now the input lag seems to go away. Never noticed it with vsync on or off on my CRT, which is odd. Maybe it's due to the increase in resolution with my videocard... could very well be.

I was wrong about the smoothness of games too. Some games feel a little weird, but the majority of my games (now that I've tested more of them) seem just as smooth if not smoother. I probably have some setting tweaking to do, but it doesn't seem directly related to framerate at all.

It's a lot better than my previous LCD. The dithering in my old TN panel made games like Quake 4 look horrendously ugly.

(if you can't tell, really considering buying 3x of these)
I really want 3x of these as well. Unfortunately, having missed the sale last month, and with the out-of-stock situation and imminent release of the 2010 lineup, I'm stuck.

1. Wondering if I should order these on the cached web page (at $279), and (if they honor it) wait 1 to 2 months for delivery -- paying about $210 more for the three than the sales price?

2. Order on the cached web page, but wait for a Dell coupon I can apply to reduce the price.

3. Or, wait to see if Dell releases a 1680x1050 IPS model for 2010?

What are others doing?

Just got my 2nd in a few minutes ago. Have to hurry off to work though before I can play with it. This one is from china instead of mexico. Looks just as good as my first except there's a spec of dust trapped inside the screen on the lower right corner, but only noticeable on a pure white background.

Good stuff. I'm done buying screens for a while :)

Just got my 2nd in a few minutes ago. Have to hurry off to work though before I can play with it. This one is from china instead of mexico. Looks just as good as my first except there's a spec of dust trapped inside the screen on the lower right corner, but only noticeable on a pure white background.

Good stuff. I'm done buying screens for a while :)

You're in the same boat as me then. I used Spyder2 to calibrate and have both contrasts at 82, and the brightness is 52 on the Mexico and 72 on the China. The RGB corrections were similar but not identical... not sure off the top of my head and not at that PC now. Still could not get them identical but they are very close.

See my quote above from a similar post. Let me know how your brightnesses compare, and how the colors compare after calibration.

Pulling up THIS color chart on both displays I can notice some VERY subtle differences, but it is probably 95% identical.

I really want 3x of these as well. Unfortunately, having missed the sale last month, and with the out-of-stock situation and imminent release of the 2010 lineup, I'm stuck.

1. Wondering if I should order these on the cached web page (at $279), and (if they honor it) wait 1 to 2 months for delivery -- paying about $210 more for the three than the sales price?

2. Order on the cached web page, but wait for a Dell coupon I can apply to reduce the price.

3. Or, wait to see if Dell releases a 1680x1050 IPS model for 2010?

What are others doing?

If I we're you,and you really want a 2209wa - contact the dell sales rep that was posted in this thread a few pages back. I ordered through her, and she was able to give me the 210 price just by asking for it.

She did mention that she was told not to take any orders, but would contact those still interested sometime later in August about placing orders then.

left side of my screen is more red than the right side. sucks. A01 made in china.

That's weird. Mine is a bit more reddish on the right. The colorimeter says it's about a 400K difference in color temperature on whites. Not enough to bug me, but I do notice it a tiny bit. It seems to lessen now that I've raised the brightness to 20.

Is it kind of like a "separator" between the middle and left, or right "third" of the screen? If so that seems to be the uniformity issue talked about previously. I have it to some extent on every screen, but it is most noticeable on the 2209WA.

About my previous input lag comments. When I disable vsync now the input lag seems to go away. Never noticed it with vsync on or off on my CRT, which is odd. Maybe it's due to the increase in resolution with my videocard... could very well be.

I was wrong about the smoothness of games too. Some games feel a little weird, but the majority of my games (now that I've tested more of them) seem just as smooth if not smoother. I probably have some setting tweaking to do, but it doesn't seem directly related to framerate at all.

It's a lot better than my previous LCD. The dithering in my old TN panel made games like Quake 4 look horrendously ugly.

If you're using an nVidia card you can set it to 75hz. If you need the numbers to enter into the control panel, they are in this thread in a post by ToastyX, or I can re-post 'em for you.

Haven't found a way to get this via ATI without third party software like PowerStrip though.

Is it kind of like a "separator" between the middle and left, or right "third" of the screen?
Yeah. I only had the first one for about a week, and didn't calibrate it during that time, so I never noticed it (if it was present).

I have tried all the tricks to get my 2209WA to do 75 hz but it just wouldn't do it. I tried all of toastys suggestions and it just wouldn't do it. I'm using Xp and the lastest nvidia drivers the 190's any ideas??

They all can get retention if neglected enough. If the brightness is high, and a contrasty image is up, it can temporarily burn in.
That only applies to self luminance displays (not LCDs)

There is very little defence against IR and pixel damage

Got mine yesterday, just now got it hooked up. There is definitely something wrong with the 2001FP I had, I can already tell a difference as far as how easy this display is on my eyes.

Panel appears to be good, no dead pixels, color appears pretty uniform although I haven't eye-calibrated it yet other than turning the brightness down. Maybe I got lucky, but I don't find the brightness too high at all. Mine's still at 50, visually anything less than 25 makes the display look like it has a gray overlay to it.

There's only one thing that looks off. If I color the screen with one solid color (i.e. the full screen color of a dead pixel checker or even a blank white browser page) I notice that the right border of the screen appears to taper off a bit. The area is about the width of my index finger. Looks almost as if the screen is dusty there and the brightness is slightly less. It's by no means a major flaw, but it's definitely there. I ordered 2 of these, one for me and one for my dad. His has the same issue. I haven't seen it yet on my dad's display, he just called me and asked about it so I made sure to check for it when I hooked mine up. Only difference between ours is that mine is on the right side which carries over slightly to the bottom right border, where his is on the right side and carries on to the upper right border. I can't speak for his yet, but the faded area does go away when I position myself directly in front of this area, and appears again when I position myself center of the screen.

Anyone else notice this? Personally I think it's a nitpick as I don't notice it at all unless the screen is all one color, but just wondering if this is something others have noticed.

Haven't checked the label for manufacturing yet, I'll post back with where it was made in a bit.

Back