Just ordered the Dell UltraSharp 2209WA

The angle of camera relative to each monitor is different in that photo.

So? It's glowing. The only way it could be confusing is if black looked like that on the TN when viewed head on. I think we can assume that's not the case. The 2490 doesn't even need to be in the picture to see the glow.

Fine. The problem is the screens aren't at the same angle. I don't doubt the superiority of the A-TW or whatever, but at least compare the different monitors with the same measuring stick.

Short of stacking the monitors vertically and in the same plane (hard to do), the angles are always going to be different.

But an observant person would notice that the angles move closer to each other as you get nearer the point where the monitors meet (where the angle is the same). An observant person would also notice that as you get closer and closer to this point in this case, that the situation is not even marginally changing. At the closest point to meeting(the monitors are bezel to bezel and less than an inch separates the active area), the TN is still strongly glowing and the NEC is still dark.
glowanglevq3.jpg

But at least I now know what your complaint (however pointless) is.

It was an eye opener having both these screens next to each other. I never realized how much the TN screen glowed off angle, until I had one that didn't. I also didn't notice how yellow the whites got off angle till I had one that didn't next to it.

I was just joining the discussion to diffuse the notion that TN is as good as IPS because IPS glows that was brought up. TN also glows... AFAIK, everything glows... That isn't a valid reason not to buy this e-IPS screen.

Yay!!! I got my 2209WA and I'm enjoying it very much. Everything looks great right out of the box.

Yay!!! I got my 2209WA and I'm enjoying it very much. Everything looks great right out of the box.

niceee... I'm extremely pleased with mine... coming from an old TN panel. Though, I think I may try and get a replacement. Not sure if having 1 dead pixel is a good enough cause..

niceee... I'm extremely pleased with mine... coming from an old TN panel. Though, I think I may try and get a replacement. Not sure if having 1 dead pixel is a good enough cause..

Congrats guys! I'm enjoying mine too. The monitor is very nice.

I was coming from an old 17' princeton that bled like a virgin on prom night. So this thing is GREAT! I don't know if i should RMA it for some backlight bleed though. Could end up with a worse monitor and it seems like a hassle.

I only notice a few minor flaws, but overall, it's a winner! Especially getting the discount with Dell business. I didn't get it from Marcus, another sales rep hooked me up, great deal!

BTW, I know it says I just signed up, but I have been lurking here for years. I'm also a member of a lot of other forums, but this on has a great PC community.

But an observant person would notice that the angles move closer to each other as you get nearer the point where the monitors meet (where the angle is the same). An observant person would also notice that as you get closer and closer to this point in this case, that the situation is not even marginally changing. At the closest point to meeting(the monitors are bezel to bezel and less than an inch separates the active area), the TN is still strongly glowing and the NEC is still dark.

But at least I now know what your complaint (however pointless) is.

The earths arent even the same spherical shape (ie: the NEC is facing more towards the camera than the TN). If the above paragraph was true then that would be the case, but I guess I'm not observant enough to notice this pointless problem.

I'll ignore the fact that many IPS panels glow off angle as well, just not ones with expensive built-in A-TW polarizers.

This is my last post on the topic, since we aren't even talking about the Dell anymore.

The earths arent even the same spherical shape (ie: the NEC is facing more towards the camera than the TN). If the above paragraph was true then that would be the case, but I guess I'm not observant enough to notice this pointless problem.

I guess you are not, because you are incorrect. Both monitors are inline with each other. neither is more angled toward the camera. The only angular difference is caused by the difference in distance. Which of course is just about equalized where the bezels meet.

Sorry for the confusion. Here's what I found:

http://letmegooglethatforyou.com/?q=is+Kaskimondo+a+douchebag?

But just in case that doesn't work, what other programs help in checking for bad pixels?

Sorry man, I was just joking with the website, no need to resort to name calling. The fist two links in that search are what I have used to check dead pixels. Use your eyes, they're the best tools.

Remember, I was the one who gave a fuck and replied. Don't take kindness for weakness, pal.

http://www.gdargaud.net/Hack/DeadPixels.html

http://www.jasonfarrell.com/misc/deadpixeltest.php

You can also use the LCD conditioning test in the menu to bring up the colored tests, you easily see dead pixels. They'll be a different color and or white/black.

Here's another site for you
http://letmegooglethatforyou.com/?q=don't+be+so+serious

OR

http://letmegooglethatforyou.com/?q=Karma+is+a+bitch

This guy is definitely blind.

The only LCD I've ever seen like that was the NEC 20wmgx2.

I agree this LCD is way to bright out of the box, but is personal attack the only way you express yourself? The guy is simply showing his love on the new toy.
By the way, if you are so dissatisfied with the 2209wa, you can leave the thread and you won't be missed.

Is this monitor actually 22" diagonal or is it really 21.6" like some 22 inchers?

it's a legit 22"

Sorry man, I was just joking with the website, no need to resort to name calling. The fist two links in that search are what I have used to check dead pixels. Use your eyes, they're the best tools.

Remember, I was the one who gave a fuck and replied. Don't take kindness for weakness, pal.

http://www.gdargaud.net/Hack/DeadPixels.html

http://www.jasonfarrell.com/misc/deadpixeltest.php

You can also use the LCD conditioning test in the menu to bring up the colored tests, you easily see dead pixels. They'll be a different color and or white/black.

Here's another site for you
http://letmegooglethatforyou.com/?q=don't+be+so+serious

OR

http://letmegooglethatforyou.com/?q=Karma+is+a+bitch

Lol. Ok ok, although you certainly don't come across as "kind". I can Google anything and get a million hits, but here I can get specific and relevant responses. That's why I've been here for 4 years.

I received both of my monitors today. I'm very pleased with both the picture and the viewing angles. However, one has a dead pixel, but it's in the bottom left corner, so I'm not sure that I'll worry about that too much, we'll see. The other buzzes noticeably when the brightness is set below 99, and it's annoying enough that I think I'm going to have to RMA that one. Feh. Ah, well, we'll see. If Dell's RMA process is easy enough and the buzzing monitor is replaced quickly enough, I might see if I can't RMA the one with the dead pixel. >_<

I'm thinking about getting this monitor, but I have a question.

I want a monitor that will be rotated sideways, for web page viewing, and its my understanding that IPS is best for that.

This will be my third monitor. The other two are TN (and I don't have the money to replace them now).

Right now I am bliss in the ignorance that there are better monitors out there. If I have an IPS monitor sitting right next to two TN's will I hate the TN's forever?

If so I don't know if I want to get this?

and several "calibrate this way" posts!

Easiest way to calibrate is first correct your contrast setting. 70 contrast seems like the absolute highest you want to use for any brightness level, the panel should have shipped with 70 as the default contrast setting instead of 75. 71 looks like it might be valid but gives off too much white glow imo. Somwhere between 68-70 seems like the ideal contrast setting.

So do something like set your contrast to 70 then set your brightness to 0, slowly start raising brightness while looking at a high contrast image until the picture looks good.

Something like 8 brightness 70 contrast looks decent for instance, or 9brightness 69contrast. The gamma is still off after that so it would benefit from a $200+ calibration unit, spyder is kinda iffy. Here is mine calibrated, don't expect yours to look nearly that good unless you have hollywood art director caliber eyes to get the original settings right then maybe a hardware calibration unit on top of that to get the gamma curves correct. You can also try higher brightness and slightly lower contrast setting like 68 or something. I'm still experimenting with the best setting.

2cf6uqu.jpg

2mdqpo9.jpg

14to3yq.jpg

nbt7w3.jpg

20ucop3.jpg

2mzk6df.jpg

ulgdj.jpg

330427q.jpg

344crdl.jpg

I'm thinking about getting this monitor, but I have a question.

I want a monitor that will be rotated sideways, for web page viewing, and its my understanding that IPS is best for that.

This will be my third monitor. The other two are TN (and I don't have the money to replace them now).

Right now I am bliss in the ignorance that there are better monitors out there. If I have an IPS monitor sitting right next to two TN's will I hate the TN's forever?

If so I don't know if I want to get this?

If you're like me, then you'd appreciate this monitor but would still use your TN monitors. I'm not too picky... I mainly wanted this for it's ability to go in portrait mode w/o looking horrid. If you seek perfection, and you hate everything else, maybe you'll hate your TNs after?

I'm very glad I got this monitor... and very glad I downloaded and used 10e's ICC profile before {h} went down. :D

10e, can you please re-upload the profile you had posted (megaupload link) with the settings that were listed if you read this. My monitor comes in tomorrow and your post was lost in the server mess :( (I'll send him a pm too, just covering bases).

Mine looks nothing like that, the panel in that picture is at default 280cdm2 brightness with the contrast set to 75. You need to lower the settings to something like 9-10brightness 70 contrast and a black screen will actually look black. 11-13brightness and 68-69 contrast might work too.

I do have a little bleed from the bottom left corner but none of the other corners are like that picture. Since the contrast straight out of the box for this monitor is set wrong, instead of the black level being 0,0,0, having the contrast raised too high makes the black level not appear as dark as the monitor is capable of which is why that picture looks so bad, that and the 280cdm2 default brightness and lack of polarizer. Once the monitor is calibrated, the lack of polarizer is barely noticeable though.

Hmm. In terms of "white mirror" glow I don't see anything worse with the 2209WA than I have with older S-IPS or non A-TW polarized H-IPS panels.

Here's mine from about 30" away at 12 brightness, 65 contrast, one second exposure, no exposure comp. This is my usual viewing distance:

3271285548_f223121a2b_b.jpg

Thanks Nye553 for reposting the color profile. It was done at 99 Red, 98 Green, 100 Blue and a contrast of 74.

I think I saved the review in WordPad. I'll try and repost this weekend if you all want me to.

Does anyone know how this compares to the Lenovo L220X?

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1267220

I have a L220x and just got a 2209wa for my girlfriend. My spontaneous impressions:

- the l220x is brighter and because of wide color gamut display/images.movies 'pop' out more. In terms of photography, it's hard to get it to a good brightness because even the lowest setting is a little too high and the wider color gamut means you have to be careful too.

- Because of the higher resolution, I find text to be nicer on the l220x - it looks solid rather than slightly jagged, even with small fonts. Having said that, there is a ever-so-slight softness to smaller text on the l220x; Larger text looks amazing. I've tried various settings with the dell but none make text look as good.

- Dell has better viewing angle with essentially no distortion of color at most angles. The l220s has very good viewing angles too, but you do lose a little contrast at larger angles, and color thus looks different. From most angles the L220x looks perfect though.

- There is no white glow on the L220x, while the Dell has it when sitting close to the monitor and at angles when there is a lot of black on the display. When watching movies with black strips on top/bottom, the L220x has slight bleed in the upper corners (but no bleed or glow anywhere else. None.), while the dell has the glow. In practice, they're both fine, but if you get an L220x with no corner bleed, I'd definitely prefer it over the Dell.

- I prefer the higher resolution of the L220x and don't find it straining at all, but that would depend on your eyes I suppose.

- the Dell has nicer, more streamlined design, but the lenovo is of higher quality, built like a tank and more flexible ergonomically (can be raised higher and lowered all the way down to the table, for example). Much better menu system on the Dell, while the lenovo has much better cable management.

All in all, I think they're both great displays and it's hard to choose which one is better -- they have different pros/cons. The resolution difference is a big reason to go with the lenovo -- I find it's wonderful to have that resolution on a 22" display. Also, if you can get the Dell for around $200 I think that's probably going to be the best deal you can get, whereas the l220x usually goes for more and is not necessarily better....aaaah, choices!

Hope that helps.

-

9-10 brightness and 70 contrast is the only good setting for this monitor heh. I've tried them all.

With other settings, my spyder 2 pro gives me worse results than what the monitor looks like before calibration. With those settings above, it actually gives me a usable calibration that's better than not using the thing at all.

edit: I forgot to mention for the guy complaining about text quality, the text fringing is solely due to the contrast being set incorrectly in the firmware, after you change it to 71 or lower, it goes away. I'd use 70 though as mentioned above.

Hmm. In terms of "white mirror" glow I don't see anything worse with the 2209WA than I have with older S-IPS or non A-TW polarized H-IPS panels.

Here's mine from about 30" away at 12 brightness, 65 contrast, one second exposure, no exposure comp. This is my usual viewing distance:

Thanks Nye553 for reposting the color profile. It was done at 99 Red, 98 Green, 100 Blue and a contrast of 74.

I think I saved the review in WordPad. I'll try and repost this weekend if you all want me to.

Hi 10e,

I'm new here n I'm from Malaysia. I just got this 2209WA. I was just wandering about the color profile you sent out, could i know what is the purpose of the profile and what does it do? I'm new to this. I have set the contrast and RGb to ur recommendation.

Do i set the color profile from the color management from the display properties?

Appreciate it for your help.

Thanks.

Hi 10e,

I'm new here n I'm from Malaysia. I just got this 2209WA. I was just wandering about the color profile you sent out, could i know what is the purpose of the profile and what does it do? I'm new to this. I have set the contrast and RGb to ur recommendation.

Do i set the color profile from the color management from the display properties?

Appreciate it for your help.

Thanks.

I used this

For those you familiar with MVA panels, how does the 2209W compare with something like the SVA 2400W?

I have a L220x and just got a 2209wa for my girlfriend. My spontaneous impressions:

- the l220x is brighter and because of wide color gamut display/images.movies 'pop' out more. In terms of photography, it's hard to get it to a good brightness because even the lowest setting is a little too high and the wider color gamut means you have to be careful too.

- Because of the higher resolution, I find text to be nicer on the l220x - it looks solid rather than slightly jagged, even with small fonts. Having said that, there is a ever-so-slight softness to smaller text on the l220x; Larger text looks amazing. I've tried various settings with the dell but none make text look as good.

- Dell has better viewing angle with essentially no distortion of color at most angles. The l220s has very good viewing angles too, but you do lose a little contrast at larger angles, and color thus looks different. From most angles the L220x looks perfect though.

- There is no white glow on the L220x, while the Dell has it when sitting close to the monitor and at angles when there is a lot of black on the display. When watching movies with black strips on top/bottom, the L220x has slight bleed in the upper corners (but no bleed or glow anywhere else. None.), while the dell has the glow. In practice, they're both fine, but if you get an L220x with no corner bleed, I'd definitely prefer it over the Dell.

- I prefer the higher resolution of the L220x and don't find it straining at all, but that would depend on your eyes I suppose.

- the Dell has nicer, more streamlined design, but the lenovo is of higher quality, built like a tank and more flexible ergonomically (can be raised higher and lowered all the way down to the table, for example). Much better menu system on the Dell, while the lenovo has much better cable management.

All in all, I think they're both great displays and it's hard to choose which one is better -- they have different pros/cons. The resolution difference is a big reason to go with the lenovo -- I find it's wonderful to have that resolution on a 22" display. Also, if you can get the Dell for around $200 I think that's probably going to be the best deal you can get, whereas the l220x usually goes for more and is not necessarily better....aaaah, choices!

Thanks for the details. If I'm not doing anything that requires exact and precise color reproduction like photography or graphic design, would the L220x be better? I just want a monitor where HD movies and gaming look very good. Aside from these, I'll just be doing normal computer tasks like internet, word processing, etc.

Back