Just ordered the Dell UltraSharp 2209WA

Question about DVI cables and the 2209WA:

I believe the DVI-D cable that came with the 2209WA is single-link. Per my research, a dual-link cable may (should?) also work. My understanding is one of the differences between single link and dual link DVI cables is the dual link DVI-D cable has extra pins that allow for greater bandwith passthrough which might be needed on much higher resolution monitors (eg higher than WUXGA, ie, higher than 1920 x 1080).

Has anybody used a dual link DVI-D cable or any other type of DVI cable with their 2209WA?

My thought is to purchase an DVI-D dual link for use with another computer and the 2209wa. I know I don't need a dual link cable for the 2209wa because the single link cable has all the bandwidth I need for this monitor and my computer. But my thinking was if the dual link is compatible and has no negative performance effects when using with the 2209wa, then later on, if I get a device that requires a dual link, I would have that cable.

From the research I did, it seems that there may be some dual link DVI cables that should be compatbile with the 2209wa and my docking station but there may be some that are not. Thanks.

I am using one from one of my Dell 30's that I had and it works fine.

I got the Dell 2209wa.

So far I did these things
DVI hookup
1680x1050 65hz
Brightness 0
Contrast 74
Graphics standard
Sharpness 40

Anything else I should do to customize it?

Also when scrolling up or down in IE 8 seems text seems to blur a bit but goes back to normal when I stop.

I got the Dell 2209wa.

So far I did these things
DVI hookup
1680x1050 65hz
Brightness 0
Contrast 74
Graphics standard
Sharpness 40

Anything else I should do to customize it?

Also when scrolling up or down in IE 8 seems text seems to blur a bit but goes back to normal when I stop.

did you load the drivers on the disc ?
i think that fixes your problem

How do you get this monitor for a good price. I tried every option on the slickdeals link and none of them work. The sales reps say that Dell has strict policy on 2209wa pricing and theyv'e raised the price and will not lower. Can someone please pm me a dell rep that can still sell it for that $212 + tax + free shipping deal Help? :(

FYI, I also called DELL and spoke to one of their reps regarding the "New" designation on the 2209wa model listing on the Canadian site. The gist of the conversation was Tony (Dell rep) could not find any differences in specs between the American and Canadian specs for the 2209wa. He said its possible they just started selling the 2209WA on the Canadian site or the page has just not been updated. So for now, this appears to be just an old page.

It's either not updated, or it's "new" because it was recently relisted. There was a pricing error for about 2 hours some months ago, and a couple people bought it for 190CDN. They fixed the error (since then, the lowest price has only reached 220CDN), but some time after, they took the monitor completely off the. It's back there now, so probably haven't updated the "new" since being relisted.

How do you get this monitor for a good price. I tried every option on the slickdeals link and none of them work. The sales reps say that Dell has strict policy on 2209wa pricing and theyv'e raised the price and will not lower. Can someone please pm me a dell rep that can still sell it for that $212 + tax + free shipping deal Help? :(

Best I could do a few short weeks ago: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1459950

Yay, i finally got my 2209WA to work at 75hz...
If i place my ear directly on the frame of monitor, it is perfectly normal to hear higher pitched buzz on 75 than 60hz?

75hz sounds like it will shorten the life of the lcd, is it worth the extra performance?

If it doesn't shorten it that much than I might consider doing the same to my 2209WA.

How were you able to get it to 75?

It's either not updated, or it's "new" because it was recently relisted. There was a pricing error for about 2 hours some months ago, and a couple people bought it for 190CDN. They fixed the error (since then, the lowest price has only reached 220CDN), but some time after, they took the monitor completely off the. It's back there now, so probably haven't updated the "new" since being relisted.

So that's the reason. Good to know. Thanks dmxlite.

Well, I've searched this thread and can't seem to find the answer to this question:
What benefit(s) do you get if you run this monitor above 60Hz?

Well guys - here's my gameplan

I had been running a 2407wfp for the last 3 or 4 years, but, its finally starting to die, and I'm going to go with 3x2209wa's

But, Here's the kicker - My intention is to spend ALL DAY today in the dell que, eventually I'm hoping to find a rep that will do 3 2209wa's, for less than $600, or maybe right at it

wish me luck :) If I find this deal, I'll post the reps details

Well, I've searched this thread and can't seem to find the answer to this question:
What benefit(s) do you get if you run this monitor above 60Hz?

The Hz rating is directly related to the refresh rate of the lcd, 60Hz means 60 frame per second

if you can pull off 75Hz for example and your video card is pushing more than 60fps, like, 75fps, then the display will show 75 frames per second, as opposed to the 60fps, for 60Hz

Can anyone provide me with a dell sales rep email or extension that will still honor $212 per unit?

Can anyone provide me with a dell sales rep email or extension that will still honor $212 per unit?

Try offering to buy some other accessories at normal price and then returning the accessories later, works for B&M stores when buying an HDTV.

HELL YEAH!!

Check it guys

Keith Wenzel is still honoring $212 per display + Tax - I just ordered 3 of them, with free shipping.

1-800-901-3355 ext 94-60854

([email protected])

I told him I'd post his details and he'd likely be getting some calls today - He told me He'd honor the $212 price for anyone who calls and mentions they saw " Travis' post on [H]ardforum for the $212" price "

He told me that they have been instructed to not sell this display for less than $260, but he has received so many calls and request for the $212 price his manager has finally caved and authorized him to sell them at that price.

This makes my before sales tax price 636.00 for all 3 of them - thats just slightly more than the $599 Dell is asking for their U2410 online, albiet I am sure that you can get a U2410 for closer to 550, if not 500 with some negotiating...still, sweet that you can get 3 IPS 22" displays for around 600 bucks - Hell, I paid over 700 for my 2407wfp just a few years ago...

Eyefinity, here I come.

Hell, I'm tempted to buy 3 more for an Eyefinity 6x setup.

w00t.

Last edited:
I bought mines for $227 total this past May and highly recommend it.

If i place my ear directly on the frame of monitor, it is perfectly normal to hear higher pitched buzz on 75 than 60hz?

Can you explain what method you used to set it to 75hz?

Man, you guys in the states are lucky. Here in Canada we have to wait for those elusive sales that come around once in a blue moon.

And your taxes are less as well.

Go for 3 more Elipsn!

There has never been a better time for lcd buyers than these days, who would have guessed you could buy IPS monitors at bargain basement prices.

This is awesome. I should have bought 3 x 2209WA instead of just one when it was $219 here on Canada during the hot deal of the day one day sale at Dell.

Travis is the MAN for helping all his fellow hard ocp'ers out with that Link to Keith. Keith honored the $212 deal! Keith is also the man for honoring that price :). I'll do a review of the monitor once it arrives, I'm hoping it will be in great condition and does NOT emit noise and has perfect visual quality so I don't have to return it.

Last edited:
Keith Wenzel is still honoring $212 per display + Tax - I just ordered 3 of them, with free shipping.

1-800-901-3355 ext 94-60854

([email protected])

I told him I'd post his details and he'd likely be getting some calls today - He told me He'd honor the $212 price for anyone who calls and mentions they saw " Travis' post on [H]ardforum for the $212" price "

He told me that they have been instructed to not sell this display for less than $260, but he has received so many calls and request for the $212 price his manager has finally caved and authorized him to sell them at that price.

Thx for the heads up Travis! I just got mine for 212$ + Tax :D

Listening from the back through the vents, I can hear a very (I stress very) faint buzzing at both 60hz or 76hz. The pitch is the same for both for me.

Listening from the back through the vents, I can hear a very (I stress very) faint buzzing at both 60hz or 76hz. The pitch is the same for both for me.
awww shit, I wish this wasn't the case. If my monitor makes noise, I'll have to return it :(.

awww shit, I wish this wasn't the case. If my monitor makes noise, I'll have to return it :(.

Notice how he said VERY FAINTLY.

Unless you have an absolutely silent rig (SSD, completely fanless), you probably won't hear this monitor.

Wow, that was fast! Ordered yesterday from dell, got them today.

3x 2209WA's

I've opened two of them, so far no dead pixels or backlight bleed issues, colors seem to be uniform accross the whole screen, I'm very pleased thus far..

They have amazing quality for a $200 display - I mean, they don't have the "presence" that the 24" displays do, but they don't come across as too small either......the matte finish is perfect, I'm just overall extremely happy with them for the price - coming from a 2407, its not *much* of a downgrade in size, although there is a since of having a smaller screen, I'm going to get a new desk setup and try to sit a bit closer to compensate

Now to grab a 5870 and a display port adapter to hook up display number three and do some eyefinity mess....

Wow, that was fast! Ordered yesterday from dell, got them today.

3x 2209WA's

I've opened two of them, so far no dead pixels or backlight bleed issues, colors seem to be uniform accross the whole screen, I'm very pleased thus far..

They have amazing quality for a $200 display - I mean, they don't have the "presence" that the 24" displays do, but they don't come across as too small either......the matte finish is perfect, I'm just overall extremely happy with them for the price - coming from a 2407, its not *much* of a downgrade in size, although there is a since of having a smaller screen, I'm going to get a new desk setup and try to sit a bit closer to compensate

Now to grab a 5870 and a display port adapter to hook up display number three and do some eyefinity mess....
How is the noise of the monitor from 60hz-76hz?

Excellent!

It seems that the latest revisions of 2209WA are less prone to the many issues that U2410 have.

My copy of the 2209WA came in without pixel,backllight or uniform issues as well. Looks like 2209WA owners are much more satisfied than people that bought U2410 and with less than half the price it is a steal.

Now is a great time to be getting these wonderful panels.

I need to order another one.

Tried sending an email to Keith to see if he is still honoring the deal.. crossing my fingers..

Really want the monitor to replace my blurry CRT before Dragon Age comes out..

Chris

Heya guys, just wanted to say that I checked the 3rd panel I got, and its good to go as well, no bad/dead pixels, no/minimal backlight bleed, and color accuracy/uniformity accross the panel seems to be very good

3 good panels, on the first time - that's a first for me with my past dell experience, seem they finally got the quality control of these panels up to snuff

I'll post pics and a minireview tonight

I so would grab one of these if they had a larger resolution...sucks as I would love a good quality display for around $200 but I just cannot justify it unless I move up more in resolution.

The 2209WA is indeed an amazing display, but it's a shame that it doesn't have a "16:9 mode". To honor this cause, I've created a request over at Dell IdeaStorm (a site where Dell gathers customer "ideas" and implements the most popular ones) called:

Provide a "16:9 mode" on the UltraSharp 2209WA (and other 16:10 monitors)

Please consider registering at IdeaStorm and up-voting this idea by clicking on "Promote". The link above will take you to the idea page.

Together we can make it happen! :D

I just emailed Keith and he called back within 5 minutes. Just made an order for two, shipping overnight. I should have them on Thursday. Great job Keith and great job Hardforum!

If we like them, we might buy about 200 of these.

-Mike

Well my 2209WA just arrived (literally a couple of hours ago), so I hooked it up via DVI and while it's OK, I'm not blown away by it.

Haven't had a chance to calibrate it yet so won't comment on colour etc. but on firing up a game (UT2004. Retro, I know) the first thing I noticed was the ghosting. It's really quite noticeable. I can live with it though so it's not a deal breaker for me. It could be that because of the relative lack of graphical detail in this game (just basic texturing etc.) the ghosting is more obvious.

As I had VSync off the tearing combined with the ghosting was creating a not so attractive effect so I enabled VSync and triple buffering, which lead me on to my next discovery - input lag.

Now I know people have tested this with splitters that have shown no/virtually no input lag but, with VSync and triple buffering both on, I found the amount of lag I was getting totally unacceptable. It rendered playing virtually impossible. With just VSync on it was a lot better but still not great.

I'm quite disappointed with this as I was hoping the 2209WA was lag free but it feels pretty much the same as the last LCD I had, a 2005FPW, which I sent back because of the input lag. Coming from a CRT it's a stark contrast. Still, as long as I keep VSync and, more importantly, triple buffering off it's another thing that I can live with. Has no one else noticed this?

There's a fairly obvious shine effect (as prad.de calls it) in the bottom corners on dark backgrounds which I'm putting down to the fact I'm looking down on the screen slightly (as is ergonomically prudent to do).

Even with all these issues I'd definitely keep it if it wasn't for a small dark spot in the top left corner between the screen and the backlight (a speck of dirt or something). There are no dead pixels (that I've noticed. I did search) and no obvious backlight bleeding, so It's a real shame a simple quality control issue like this means I'll have to send it back and keep my fingers crossed for a unit with no other, more serious problems.

Anyway, sorry for the rather long, and possibly tedious post. It was cathartic if nothing else. :D

DefineByte said:
As I had VSync off the tearing combined with the ghosting was creating a not so attractive effect so I enabled VSync and triple buffering, which lead me on to my next discovery - input lag.

Now I know people have tested this with splitters that have shown no/virtually no input lag but, with VSync and triple buffering both on, I found the amount of lag I was getting totally unacceptable. It rendered playing virtually impossible. With just VSync on it was a lot better but still not great.
The lag you're talking about is being added by software, which has nothing to do with the monitor. Vsync and triple buffering both add lag, even with a CRT. The reason it's less noticeable on a CRT is because a CRT can run at higher refresh rates, which reduces the lag caused by those settings.

Vsync + triple buffering adds about 2-3 frames of lag, which is 33-50 ms at 60 Hz, and 26-39 ms at 76 Hz, and 20-30 ms at 100 Hz.

Try running it at 76 Hz. You'll get less lag, less ghosting, and smoother motion, but no LCD will match a CRT running at a higher refresh rate except maybe those 120 Hz TN monitors. Perhaps you would be happier with the Samsung 2233rz. At 120 Hz, the lag and ghosting would be cut in half.

Back