Just ordered the Dell UltraSharp 2209WA

It won't happen. Do you think they care? :)

You will end up with a worse monitor and then spend countless sleepless nights wishing you listened to that guy from teh internetz and kept your old 2209. Mark my words!

I'm now on my 8th replacement 2209wa (from 2 units purchased). It will be number 9 when I call again on Monday. Six of those were due to excessive inverter buzzing.

The message clearly isn't getting through. I'm not alone in demanding this many replacements either.

It won't happen. Do you think they care? :)

You will end up with a worse monitor and then spend countless sleepless nights wishing you listened to that guy from teh internetz and kept your old 2209. Mark my words!

;), Of course I honestly don't expect anything at to happen, but, I will continue to get replacements until I get three screens that match :) Like the guy above me, prior to getting the 2209WA's, I went through seven replacement 2407 Monitors until I got one with no dead pixels, no backlight bleed, and it was an A04. I don't mind calling the dell replacement department, it's based in india, and if you can get over the fact that they can barely speak english, they are very nice and willing to help you solve your problem. Due to Dell's advanced exchange policy, at one time I had six 2407 monitor in my floor. If nothing else, it allows you to get the pick of the litter so to speak.

Ohh, and btw - My whole reason for getting three 2209WA's was to replace that 2407 that was dieing - but yesterday I checked its warranty, still has 4 months left, so I called Dell, and guess what? I've got another 2407 headed my way - the tech said it may even be a U2410 because she didn't think they even warehouse the refurbished 2407's anymore. :cool:

Ohh, and btw - My whole reason for getting three 2209WA's was to replace that 2407 that was dieing - but yesterday I checked its warranty, still has 4 months left, so I called Dell, and guess what? I've got another 2407 headed my way - the tech said it may even be a U2410 because she didn't think they even warehouse the refurbished 2407's anymore. :cool:

Sick deal ... Dell's customer service is awesome.

Dell customer service IS good actually (at least for monitors).

Yes they are from India, and while their english is not perfect, it is very good, and those guys are quite helpful.

I am on my 2nd replacement. I still have the 1st and 2nd monitor right now on my desk while I wait for the 3rd one. Tho on monday I will be shipping back my first monitor I got.

I just hope the 3rd one will be the charm, and it will not have the color shift that the previous 2 had the top being brighter than the bottom, especially on grey colors. At least the 1st replacement didn't had green tint patches like the first one. Other than this color shift problem, my 1st replacement would have been perfect. I love it

Hey guys, been a while since I've been in this thread, too busy enjoying this great monitor :)

Had a question about connecting game consoles I ran a quick search and didn't see what I was looking for although forgive me for not going through each of the 127 pages...

I'm interested in using one of my 2209WAs as a monitor for my gaming consoles. Because right now all I have is a 14" CRT Television and to do the true conversion to a large HDTV is like $2000 which I am still saving up for. But, I think that if I spend like $10 in monoprice converters I can hook up some consoles to the monitor and get me by until I actually do the HDTV thing.

Anyhow, since I'm all behind the times and stuff, I'm wondering about connecting last-gen consoles to the system (original xbox, gamecube, etc). Does this work? I know that at the minimum you need the component>VGA converter from monoprice. Something like this. I also see though on monoprice that they have these component to DVI cables as well. Do these work for the 2209WA too? I would imagine they do but know there is some funny business with DVI-I and all that. If both connectors work, then its theoretically possible to connect 2 consoles at once to the monitor yes?

One thing I'm not entirely sure about is how 480p content (the highest that these last gen consoles can display) will show up on the monitor. Because it's a 16x10 monitor and does not do scaling, everything that is supposed to be 16x9 shows up as 16x10 stretched a little right? But, for 480p games on the gamecube (many of which were 480p but only a few were 16x9) it should look fine so long as I set the display mode in the 2209 menu to 4:3 yes?

With an upgrade in display capability I might go ahead and get new console(s). Am I right in assuming that if I connect the xbox 360 to the 2209WA it runs 1680x1050 16x10 natively? Do I need a HDMI>DVI cable for that? PS3 and Wii however will display stretched because they only do 16x9 right?

With the various converters being as cheap as they are, I might just order all the combinations (component>DVI, component>VGA, DVI>HDMI, etc) and see what works and what doesn't, since buying all the converters probably comes out to less than $10 still.

I'm also researching this monitor and I'm a little confused as how does ps3 games display on this? Is it stretched to fit or with black bars?

Hi,

I've perused quite a bit of this (loooong) thread but still am not sure about the 2209wa when it comes to games. Has anyone actually gamed on it? Is it ok? I'm talking PC only games by the way, not console.

I want to replace my 22" Acer x223w and I think I've narrowed it down to the following choices:
  • Dell 2209WA 22" - $248.99 (regular $369.99)
  • LG Flatron W2353V 23" - $249.99 (regular $279.99)
  • Samsung P2370 23" - $269.99 (regular $329.99)
(Note: Prices are in Canadian dollars)

The LG and Samsung are both TN panels (which I've heard is better for gaming) and they're 1" larger and use 1920x1080 resolution instead of 1680x1050. I don't think the resolution is a big deal as I'm not watching movies on it, just playing PC games along with web browsing and some recreational photo editing and scrapbooking/card making.

I've read some reviews of the 2209wa that say that based on the tests it should be "good" for gaming, but I haven't actually been able to find anywhere that's actually run games on it to say for sure.

Any thoughts on those three options?

Thanks!

It's not bad for gaming. It does ghost a bit, but not enough to put me off it at least. Doesn't have any noticeable input lag as long as you run with VSync and triple buffering off (VSync+triple buffering = laggy on 60Hz panels).

I play UT2004 online on it nearly every day and I haven't noticed a difference in my performance coming from a CRT.

Anyhow, since I'm all behind the times and stuff, I'm wondering about connecting last-gen consoles to the system (original xbox, gamecube, etc). Does this work?

Yes. The 2209WA supports component signals via the VGA input. A post by ToastyX has a lot of information about this.

But, for 480p games on the gamecube (many of which were 480p but only a few were 16x9) it should look fine so long as I set the display mode in the 2209 menu to 4:3 yes?

Yes. The above linked post has information about this too :)

With an upgrade in display capability I might go ahead and get new console(s). Am I right in assuming that if I connect the xbox 360 to the 2209WA it runs 1680x1050 16x10 natively? Do I need a HDMI>DVI cable for that? PS3 and Wii however will display stretched because they only do 16x9 right?

I'm also researching this monitor and I'm a little confused as how does ps3 games display on this? Is it stretched to fit or with black bars?

I *believe* the 360 will be able to output 1680x1050 correctly, but the PS3 definitely won't - it only outputs at 16:9 and 4:3, and the 2209WA handles 16:9 input by stretching it vertically. I've created an entry at Dell IdeaStorm to promote a "16:9 mode" which can be selected to cause the display to add black bars at top and bottom of the image to avoid stretching. Feel free to up-vote it!

Let us know what happens in regards to this...I have a 2407 as well. ;)

I have a couple questions about the 2209WA. Since it is 22 inches, what will happen when a full hd movie is played on it? Would I notice much difference if I went with a 23inch that displays full HD like the LG W2353V?

the colors on this Dell 2209wa monitor are HORRIBLE. Does anyone have some great custom color profile I could use on this monitor without changing the 40-sharpness rating or the 0 brightness level?

Came in the mail today. Wow, this thing blows my old 24" TN out of the water. Great colors/contrast, no bleed, and juuuust right at zero brightness. movies don't look quite as good as they do on my CRT, but that's to be expected I guess.

just got it, its not a 2410, but they send a 2408hc, not a 2407......hmmm.....maybe I can call and complain its a pva and not an ips and get a 2410...

I know this doesn't belong in this thread - but I thought I would put this out there.

Dell no longer has 2407 refurb units in the warehouse - if you call up asking for a replacement, the rep will says they do, but that information is incorrect, if you ask them to contact the dispatch warhouse and verify that it will be a 2407 and NOT a 2408, they will see that it infact will be a 2408 thats sent out.

If you need a replacement, a 2408 will be sent out first regardless of what you say. Upon calling dell though, I explained the difference between the 2407 and the 2408 Panels, one being IPS and the other being cPVA. I explained cPVA is not an acceptable replacement to IPS, and that a 2408 simply won't do. The rep I talked to understood - I suggested she send me a U2410 instead, which has a IPS panel - she stated she would have to get authorization to do that - But, guess what? She got authorization. U2410 being sent my way to replace my dieing 2407 A04.

I will state this is not there usual policy, but if you can get a rep to work with you, you may get similar results. YMMV.

w00t, Dells warranty is freaking awesome.

I know this doesn't belong in this thread - but I thought I would put this out there.

Dell no longer has 2407 refurb units in the warehouse - if you call up asking for a replacement, the rep will says they do, but that information is incorrect, if you ask them to contact the dispatch warhouse and verify that it will be a 2407 and NOT a 2408, they will see that it infact will be a 2408 thats sent out.

If you need a replacement, a 2408 will be sent out first regardless of what you say. Upon calling dell though, I explained the difference between the 2407 and the 2408 Panels, one being IPS and the other being cPVA. I explained cPVA is not an acceptable replacement to IPS, and that a 2408 simply won't do. The rep I talked to understood - I suggested she send me a U2410 instead, which has a IPS panel - she stated she would have to get authorization to do that - But, guess what? She got authorization. U2410 being sent my way to replace my dieing 2407 A04.

I will state this is not there usual policy, but if you can get a rep to work with you, you may get similar results. YMMV.

w00t, Dells warranty is freaking awesome.
2407 was SPVA also, but it is good to know CS will do what it takes to make the customer happy and provide an IPS U2410.

2407 was SPVA also, but it is good to know CS will do what it takes to make the customer happy and provide an IPS U2410.

Interesting - I was always under the impression the A04 revision was an IPS. Are you sure about this?

Regardless, I ended up with a U2410 headed my way, so I'm happy ;):D

guys been using this monitor for months now.

When I first got it touching the top ventilation was always warm but now no heat so thats better, the monitor showing no signs of faults.

Text is defenitly way clearer to look at than it was on my old VA monitor, my laptop's TN panel and my TN monitor seems to be clearer for text than this screen but this screen is defenitly an improvement over VA (and of course TN since TN has crappy viewing angles, 6bit colours etc.), of course both those TN panels are on windows 7 machines, this is still windows XP and I believe windows 7 has better fonts + more true type.

To the guy who said he seen blur on text when scrolling IE, well thats what I notice on all my TN panels but this monitor has none of it, this is the first non CRT I have owned that shows no blur when scrolling pages, moving windows around etc.

Hmm. I get ghosting from scrolling pages. Maybe it does it less than your other monitors but it definitely does it.

No ghosting on web pages here, it's about the same as my old CRT. The viewing angles are amazing, so freakin' great for movies w/ peopels.

Has anyone gotten the $212 deal in the last few days? I spoke to Keith today and he's been transferred to a different department. Told me he was going to forward my name/number to someone that would call me but never heard from anyone.

No ghosting on web pages here, it's about the same as my old CRT. The viewing angles are amazing, so freakin' great for movies w/ peopels.

Can anyone else comment on how movies look, esp. 720p? I like to use my monitor for viewing movies and wondered how this monitor will display HD content since it is below 24 inches?

Has anyone gotten the $212 deal in the last few days? I spoke to Keith today and he's been transferred to a different department. Told me he was going to forward my name/number to someone that would call me but never heard from anyone.

Called a random rep, and got quoted a price of $242 and wouldn't budge from there, any idea how to get that last 10% off?

There is a youtube video from a user with the Dell 2209wa monitor showing that from the side view angle, characters in the movie DISAPPEAR. The viewing angle on these monitors is not all it's cracked up to be on forums like this one ;).

There is a youtube video from a user with the Dell 2209wa monitor showing that from the side view angle, characters in the movie DISAPPEAR. The viewing angle on these monitors is not all it's cracked up to be on forums like this one ;).

What are you talking about? I'm staring at a 2209WA right now, and looking at it from the side, a complete 180 degree view angle of it, I can see images as if I were directly infront of it.

"There is a youtube video from a user with the Dell 2209wa monitor showing that from the side view angle, characters in the movie DISAPPEAR. The viewing angle on these monitors is not all it's cracked up to be on forums like this one ."

Don't see that happening, I am in front of my 2209WA and extreme side view angles are still crisp with no color degradation.

please provide link, I would like to see this myself.

Are you trolling? :rolleyes:

I, as many other 2209WA users have just mentioned, the 2209WA has good if not excellent viewing angles. Source?

My mistake about that youtube movie clip, I could have sworn there was one on youtube with a very similar video about the 2209wa..but I accept my mistake if I confused the two. sorry :p

not trolling,
just not impressed with the Dell 2209wa. There is obvious shading change when you look at this monitor from an angle. Yes, it's not as bad as those TN displays, but you'll see the color wash out as you increase the viewing angle from the monitor and the image is less crisp the greater the angle. Also, it is NOWHERE near as crisp from the angle compared to looking at it head on. Anyone claiming that is lying.

I've played with the settings, but still have not reached accurate color reproduction on the monitor. Does anyone have some good color settings they recommend with the sharpness on 40 and brightness at lowest setting that enables sharpest text quality?

Question, the light/led behind the power button on the monitor...mine is flickering/REALLY dim.

Anyone else have this problem?

My mistake about that youtube movie clip, I could have sworn there was one on youtube with a very similar video about the 2209wa..but I accept my mistake if I confused the two. sorry :p

not trolling,
just not impressed with the Dell 2209wa. There is obvious shading change when you look at this monitor from an angle. Yes, it's not as bad as those TN displays, but you'll see the color wash out as you increase the viewing angle from the monitor and the image is less crisp the greater the angle. Also, it is NOWHERE near as crisp from the angle compared to looking at it head on. Anyone claiming that is lying.

I've played with the settings, but still have not reached accurate color reproduction on the monitor. Does anyone have some good color settings they recommend with the sharpness on 40 and brightness at lowest setting that enables sharpest text quality?

Are you joking? I've got three 2209WA's, I went through 7 of them to get 3 perfect, color matched and backlight matched displays for eyefinity, I'll give you one thing, if a direct viewing angle is 0 degrees, then from 60 to 90 or so degrees there is some slight white wash from the backlight, this is inherent in all IPS panels. That said, viewing from 90 degrees up to and including 178 degrees is fucking spectacular. You will not find a better display. I'd put it up against the best apple cinema display.

As far as color goes, its a non wide gamut lcd - that for me is good enough - I'll also say that cPVA panels do have the color advantage because of black levels - that said, due to black crush and input lag, I could never use a cPVA panel.

The 2209WA is the single best 22" IPS display on the market at its price point. I would put it up against anything. I've owned 2407wfp, 2408wfp, U2410 - granted, all dell, but c'mon, for the money, what can you honestly say that's out there that's even close?

As far as settings, I've found I'm happiest at 25 brightness, 65 contrast.

My single worst complaint is the antiglare coating - which, I love antiglare coatings over shiny, but, there is some sparkle here that is a little over the top - the only minor flaw I can find.

Question, the light/led behind the power button on the monitor...mine is flickering/REALLY dim.

Anyone else have this problem?

That is not normal. Get it replaced. On all 7 displays that I've gone through, all had a constant bright blue led power button light.

Back