Just ordered the Dell UltraSharp 2209WA

That's weird that some of you are getting hums and squeals, I don't hear anything like that on mine, maybe I'm just not sensitive enough or my computer fans are masking it.

The only thing I've heard coming from mine is a weird crunch or plastic settling noise from time to time on one of the top corners or middle of the casing, not sure exactly what it is. I even heard it on my previous one I sent back, I thought this one just didn't do it but I've heard it a few times already, sometimes it just doesn't do it at all though. Not exactly sure what would be causing that even.

The colors on this one are much better by default, Like ToastyX stated there's no slight green in the grays. I can't even load previous profiles posted that I was using before as it just throws the colors off with a slight red/blue.

Very satisfied with mine.

I saw originally that you stated this problem, however I never followed through on it so I may be suggesting stuff that was already mentioned.

Have you tried it on another computer? This is the only way you're going to be able to troubleshoot, if it works on another computer then obviously it's something on your end.

About returning it, they probably wont even ask what the problem is, but if they do just say you have a bright pixel or that you're not satisfied with the one you got, whatever works.

They should send you a new within days, it really isn't that much of a hassle. If that one doesn't work in DVI either then I think it's safe to say it is something on your end.

tried on 3 diff pcs. it did work on my dads when i unpluged the monitor on his and just hooked this one up while the pc was on. kinda worked on mine when i had no 3d drivers installed, but never got it to post a bios bootup screen yet thhis was on 3 diff systems.

I finally got to hook up my 2209WA, and I absolutely love it. I have it side by side with my BenQ V2400W, but I'm going to get an Ergotron desk mount for the Dell. The image quality is outstanding; I could immediately tell the advantages of it's IPS panel vs the BenQ's TN. And I believe the V2400W has pretty good image quality itself. I'll be getting a colorimeter within the next week or two so I'm eager to see how much better this display can look. Very impressed, very satisfied.

IMG_1165.jpg

IMG_1170.jpg

IMG_1172.jpg

IMG_1175.jpg

IMG_1178.jpg

Would any of you guys recommend buying these from Dell outlet? After seeing some positive remarks I may pick up a pair to pivot on the sides of my 2707wfp, would the height be a great deal off if I pivot them?

I got mine from the outlet and its perfect no flaws what so ever.....

Cool good to know there are some happy customers from the outlet, would pivoting two 22's look strange next to my 2707?

Would any of you guys recommend buying these from Dell outlet? After seeing some positive remarks I may pick up a pair to pivot on the sides of my 2707wfp, would the height be a great deal off if I pivot them?

I would first try the small business live chat see what they can offer before I consider going for the outlet.

I was able to get 75Hz to work in XP SP3 by using Powerstrip. do I have to keep PS running all the time to keep the 75Hz though? It's kind of annoying with that little tips message that pops up every boot. Possible to do the same thing via ATITraytools?

I suppose I put up with it for now because I feel like I will be rebuilding my PC in a few months anyways.

Ruahrc

No,you have to run Powerstrip only once:when you create and apply the custom res.It isn't needed in the background thank God :) Unfortunetly ATT isn't capable to create custom resolutions.
If you change your res and you want to go back to your custom res just run PS again.

Taikero said:
It sucks that you've had such bad luck
It's not bad luck. It's bad manufacturing combined with me being more discerning than most people. I don't think the average user would care much about the problems I encountered on the first two. I was just hoping for better uniformity like I saw on the third one, but that one was definitely unusable due to the noise.

I still think it's a great monitor, especially for the price, but I'm tired of playing the quality lottery with LCD monitors. It's not just Dell. It's every monitor with an LG panel. It's always one problem or another with LG panels.

Taikero said:
I'd be right back on their chat support, and I'd link them the audio file of the monitor. Whenever I have a problem with my laptop, I often just send them a screenshot/photo and that's proof enough (bezel screws stripped out, took a picture. GPU memory fault, took a screenshot of artifacts. Stuck pixel in display, took a macro photo).
I don't even need to go that far. I've been using the phone support, and they've been sending replacements without hesitation.

I got the fourth one yesterday, which has its own set of problems. The uniformity is the worst I've seen so far. The top half is red and the bottom half is green. It also has two stuck pixels: one red, and one that looks like a small hole in the panel, which changes colors depending on the angle. It also keeps making this clunk sound, like something is thumping the inside of the case. None of the others did that.

I'm considering just keeping the first one since that one has no problems other than the right side being redder. At least the left 70% of the screen is uniform.

Cyper said:
That's weird that some of you are getting hums and squeals, I don't hear anything like that on mine, maybe I'm just not sensitive enough or my computer fans are masking it.
Well, I've tried four of these so far, and they're all different.

The first one doesn't make any noise that I can hear from a normal viewing distance.
The second one made a faint hum that I could hear when the room is quiet.
The third one made a loud hum that could be heard from across the room.
The fourth one starts out like the second one but gets quieter as it warms up.

The colors are all over the place too. There's no way I can recommend any settings or provide a color profile because they were all significantly different.

Jottle said:
IThere were two distinct dark shadows on the screen
They all have these two shadows. There's a slightly darker spot left of center, and a darker vertical bar right of center. They're very faint though. The right edge is also darker.

I'm not too concerned about the brightness uniformity since I barely notice it, but the color uniformity is definitely a problem on these monitors.

Jottle said:
worst of all is that I got that exact same "clunk" noise every 15 minutes. It sounded like the panel was expanding and hitting the back of the bezel or something.
That's the sound I'm getting from the fourth one. The others definitely didn't do that.

I ordered one of these when they were first released and returned it due to the same color uniformity problems that others have mentioned. I decided not to try another because other people had reported similar issues. It left me disappointed because it doesn't seem like there are any other options for an affordable, non-TN, sRGB display.

I don't believe my example was any worse than the average 2209WA from what I've seen here, but the problem was very noticeable to me. Any website or application with a white background was very bothersome due to the variation in color temperature from left to right.

I have a 17" Sony monitor with an LG TN panel and a 15" MacBook Pro, also with an LG TN panel. Both of these displays have absolutely no discernable difference in color temperature from left to right. As far as I can tell, even while displaying an all white screen, they are perfect.

Even most large, cheap TN panels I have used seem to have far better color uniformity. Why does this problem only seem to plague IPS panels such as the 2209WA's and the HP LP2475w's?

Sorry about your luck ToastyX,

Mine doesn't make any noise and doesn't turn pink on the right. The left might be a tiny bit colder, but it's something I have to really look for, but definitely not an issue.

Other than a bit of non-uniformity it's been great so far.

Best o' luck with future LG panels :)

10e said:
Mine doesn't make any noise and doesn't turn pink on the right. The left might be a tiny bit colder, but it's something I have to really look for, but definitely not an issue.
Based on your color settings, I think the one you have is like the third one I got, which was the one with good uniformity. It also had the best white point. The others needed way more red.

The third one was manufactured in February. The ones manufactured in December and January are the ones I'm seeing uniformity problems on.

I am surprised to see this discussion shift from the Dell 2209WA problems to megaglobal disaster with LG panels.
I've owned 5 PVA-based monitors.
27", three 24" and 22".
The only one of them (22") did not have problems like uneven backlight, uneven color distribution, stuck pixels.
All panels are the same. All bad. All terrible. The life is unfair and cruel.
But manufacturers are different, models are different, post-production service is different, prices are different.
I consider all that, so I very well know what to expect before I buy.
Without naming names, some posters know the same very well too.
BTW, "L" is not my mother, "G" is not my father. So please fill free to blame LG as much as you want.

I totally agree that many different LCDs from many manufacturers have problems.

However, it doesn't make LG or Dell any less responsible for their quality problems, and I personally don't think noticeably poor uniformity is acceptable on any LCD.

I was excited about upgrading to the 2209WA coming from my 17" TN, but disappointed to notice color temperature variation even while just browsing the web or viewing documents. The fact is that there are many LCD panels out there with uniform color, including cheap ones.

I was only expecting the same quality that was put into my 17", consumer-level monitor 5 years ago, and I think that's reasonable. I realize that a small percentage of duds is expected with a mass produced product, but when people are exchanging a display several times and having problems with each one, there is simply no excuse.

so i assume when u boot your pc with just the dvid cable hooked up its suppose to show the bios boot screen?

I was looking at this monitor, especially the fact that it had E-IPS, but with all these reported problems, I don't know if I want to get one.

You think Dell is gonna make revisions to fix any of the reported issues?

CoolGuy,
The good thing about Dell is that you have nothing to lose by trying one.
In my experience, if there is a problem they will exchange it or refund you as you wish without much hassle. They pay shipping both ways and won't charge any restocking fees for returning a defective item. You can just try one, see if you like it, and decide from there.

Most of the problems seem to be random quality control issues and not something that would be fixed with a new revision.

I wouldn't let them bother you, honestly. I only had to return once to get one that is, to me, perfect.

Most of the problems reporter really aren't that bad, well on some they are worse than others of course. Not to mention that the problems being reporter are (to me) more acceptable than a TN panel.

I absolutely love my monitor. You really don't have anything to lose to try it out, as Gerry said it's quite easy to return with Dell.

I was looking at this monitor, especially the fact that it had E-IPS, but with all these reported problems, I don't know if I want to get one.

Yea listen to Gerry and Cypher. I got mine Tuesday and it's perfect, on the first try. Some people are just getting unlucky. Remember, there's a massive amount of people looking at this thread and buying them, so some of them are bound to have a defect here or there. I'm sure this would be the case with a lot of monitors if that many people were buying a single model and posting in one thread.

Thanks for the input. This is bringing me back to when I had a 2007WFP. Amazing image quality, but it had a major problem with flickering on grey shades on websites and such. Did so many replacements until I finally gave up.

Thanks for the input. This is bringing me back to when I had a 2007WFP. Amazing image quality, but it had a major problem with flickering on grey shades on websites and such. Did so many replacements until I finally gave up.

My LCD does that, I always thought it had something to do with dynamic backlights getting "confused" as to the current black level due to the shades of grey. It does it on this forum every now and then.

Well, I got mine in on Wednesday, sadly it has very noticable color uniformity issues like many others. The left half is pretty close to perfect, but the right side is noticeably more red/yellow. I can only see it on a white background, but it drives me nuts on many web pages. This really freaking sucks because this is an amazing monitor otherwise, images are beautiful and games are amazing looking.

I guess I will try to get a replacement, I'd kill for a perfect one of these. If not, back to TN land, at least the damn screen color temps are uniform on all of the ones I have used. It really should not be such a struggle to get a proper screen the first time around.

Edit: BTW, will they replace it for horrible color uniformity, or do I have to lie about a stuck pixel? :)

Last edited:
Has anyone noticed any ghosting with their 2209WA? I notice it sometimes while playing BF2 and that's with vsync on.

Since there are a lot of people who are getting units with issues, I thought I should add my positive experiences.

GRADE:
A

REASONS:
Quick Shipping
Easy to deal with Sales Representative
Excellent Products
Great Price

STORY:

I bought 2 2209WAs about 2 months ago. They said a 1 week wait, but they were shipped the next day(bought on Sunday, shipped on Monday); and they arrived on that Thursday to Grand Rapids, MI on their free shipping. I paid $212 a piece shipped for new units.

USE TYPE:
I use these as portrait oriented side panels to a Samsung LN40A500 40" 1080p LCD HDTV. The TV is connected via an HDMI connection routed through a Marantz sr4002 Receiver and in no stages has the video processed. The Dells are hooked up directly via DVI connections. The TV is set at 1920x1080@60Hz and the Dells are both set up at 1680x1050@60Hz.

The panels are used for AutoCAD 2010, Visual Studio 2008, Office, Visio, Project, DVD viewing, Gaming, and Internet browsing. They are not used for photo or video editing. They are on and used about 3 - 4 hours daily; 7 days a week and have been the last 2 months.

DESIGN ISSUES / REVIEW:

The boxes had all appropriate cables as they should, and they were in cosmetically excellent shape. The monitors were great right out of the box as far as external condition. I got out a color chart and CD from a few years back that can help do a rough color calibration and tuned the monitors. On both units there are no discolorations or any uneven backlighting and there were no noises while operating(no humming).

The stand does not allow the unit when oriented as a portrait to go up more than about 3/4", which is an issue as they are portrait oriented. When oriented vertically, the stand has enough play in the mechanism that the panel is oriented about .5 - 1º off from true vertical.

Basically, I will in the future be using aftermarket stands. This can be said if I bought any of the other numerous displays available.

I got mine the other day and my girlfriend has been using one since they first came out. My brief view:

1. Excellent viewing angles, color and contrast
2. Excellent brightness homogeneity with no bleed visible even in a dark room.
3. Visible color difference between left 3/4 and right 1/4. It's not really that bad, but if you look carefully you can see that the far right is warmer.
4. Great stand, though it could go lower.
5. Overall build quality is okay, but just okay.
6. There are some occasional crackling noises coming from the display. I suspect something is expanding due to heat.

For £200 I really can't complain and if you're in the U.S. it's even cheaper. Have to say that this is a great display for the money and beats everything out there in this price range. No regrets! Is it perfect? No, but then I'd have to spend many times this to get an LCD that is nearly perfect....

guys my monitor has none of the issues you guys are going on about.

if there is humming its not loud enough to drown out my pc fan noise.
if there is uniformity issues on my screen its not bad enough for my eyes to notice.

A lot of people here seem to be buying direct from dell so I wonder if the ones dell are selling direct have a higher chance of a problem or something.

guys my monitor has none of the issues you guys are going on about.

if there is humming its not loud enough to drown out my pc fan noise.
if there is uniformity issues on my screen its not bad enough for my eyes to notice.

A lot of people here seem to be buying direct from dell so I wonder if the ones dell are selling direct have a higher chance of a problem or something.

Well congrats on the perfect monitor. We aren't making these issues up. When half my text is perfect white, and the other half is almost orange, there is a problem. I doubt buying direct from Dell has anything to do with it.

why is my monitor getting like horizontal lines? like tracking on old vhs tapes? im running analog since dvi doesnt do shit when u plug the cable in. Only see these lines when playing games. so what do i tell these idiots on the phone?

Edit: BTW, will they replace it for horrible color uniformity, or do I have to lie about a stuck pixel? :)

Yes they will replace you one for color uniformity issue, however they will only do it so many times before they get annoyed that after like 2 times the replacements (total of 4 monitors) the color issue is still not able to be solved. They went as far as telling me that my video card 8800GTS is not compatible with the monitor...and that i should call Nv about it. I got my third replacement for my dual monitor set up... and my final conclusion is to suck up the color issue and live with it.

Can somebody post good pictures of their problems? Things like color uniformity etc? Just curious...thanks

Hi,

I have written a review of the Dell 2209WA on my blog. Here's a short summary:

The 2209WA has good color reproduction, good text clarity and good response times. Its main weaknesses are: mediocre black level (compared with good (S-)PVA panels) and an angle-dependent "white glow" in dark areas (unless you sit > 1 meters from the screen).

There are some slight backlight uniformity issues, visible hue shift from left to right in uniform areas, the anti-glare coating could be better, the power supply could be quieter. The backlight is stupidly bright, which is a problem if you like working in a dimly lit room (you have to work at brightness 0 and low contrast, which makes colors duller).

On the two units that I've tested, the hue shift was not that bad. Noticeable on large grey areas, but you can easily choose to ignore it. In fact, I just filled my entire screen with grey and I could just barely identify the effect. For me, it's not a problem. The white satin glow, the poor black level, the excessive brightness, and even the power supply noise are much bigger problems.

About the power supply noise: It's important to note that I have a quiet PC with special aftermarket fans, huge CPU and GPU radiators, silent Corsair power supply, etc. The noisiest component in my case is a Seagate hard drive (the quietest 3.5" drive on the market). It took me a lot of work to achieve this low noise level in a high-performance system. If you have stock cooling, there is no way the Dell's noise is going to bother you.

About the black level: When I write that the black level is poor, I mean that it's poor next to Eizo PVA screens, which are very expensive compared with the Dell. To me, dark scenes in movies and games look washed out on the 2209WA. I'm sure those switching from TN panels will find movies and games on the 2209WA very enjoyable.

To sum up, the 2009WA a good choice for office/text/web design/coding work, satisfactory for photo editing, not so much for movies and gaming due to problems displaying dark scenes.

For more details, please take a look at my detailed review.

Best,
Tomasz

Last edited:
It took me a lot of work to achieve this low noise level in a high-performance system. If you have stock cooling, there is no way the Dell's noise is going to bother you.

And I just slapped my high performance parts into a standard ATX case with no effort to control the sound, and the noise was still an issue that warranted a return. Don't assume that your standards are the same as everyone elses.

moomoofarm7 said:
Yea listen to Gerry and Cypher. I got mine Tuesday and it's perfect, on the first try. Some people are just getting unlucky. Remember, there's a massive amount of people looking at this thread and buying them, so some of them are bound to have a defect here or there. I'm sure this would be the case with a lot of monitors if that many people were buying a single model and posting in one thread.
It's not just a defect here or there. Many of them have uniformity problems as noted by several others. Maybe the later ones don't, but they keep sending me old refurbs with other problems thrown in. The noise issue seem to be random as well.

Most of the problems are minor though. I would still recommend this monitor over a TN panel, especially for the price. I just wish there was more consistency in the build quality. I could live with the problems if they were all the same, but they're not. Some are better than others, and I would like one of the better ones.

Reus said:
BTW, will they replace it for horrible color uniformity, or do I have to lie about a stuck pixel? :)
I just told them there's a red tint on the right side.

zod96 said:
Has anyone noticed any ghosting with their 2209WA? I notice it sometimes while playing BF2 and that's with vsync on.
This monitor has the best response times I've ever seen in an IPS panel, especially when combined with 75 Hz, but it's still an LCD monitor.

The overdrive might add some minor ghosting here or there, but it helps to reduce blur. It's rarely visible, and it's nothing compared to the ghosting I've seen on other monitors.

After using this monitor for a couple of weeks, I can even see ghosting on the DoubleSight DS-263N, and that monitor is no slouch.

turbolude said:
why is my monitor getting like horizontal lines? like tracking on old vhs tapes? im running analog since dvi doesnt do shit when u plug the cable in. Only see these lines when playing games. so what do i tell these idiots on the phone?
It's because you're using VGA and you're picking up interference from somewhere. Try a better cable. This wouldn't be a problem with DVI, if you could only use it. Keep calling until you get someone that's willing to replace it for you, although there's a chance it might not be the monitor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbolude
It's because you're using VGA and you're picking up interference from somewhere. Try a better cable. This wouldn't be a problem with DVI, if you could only use it. Keep calling until you get someone that's willing to replace it for you, although there's a chance it might not be the monitor.

I hate to return this damn thing for a shittier one. everything is perfect no funny sounds not and issue with back lighting, just something is weird with the dvi. iver tried on 3 diff system. 3 diff mobos and 3d cards. currently running a bfg gtx 285. now it works on my dads computer that has like a mobile 3d card. but once i reboot It looses the image. im trying a diff cable now. wondering if its cause my entire pc guts are just sitting on the desk next to me thats causing the lines. but only happens when gaming. also though of returning and buying a new one for 212 if that deal is still going on? i payed 191 not a big diff for a brand new one that could have less issues.

Back