• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Just ordered 5870

Am I missing something here? A 5870 is quite a large step up from a 9800GTX.
You're missing the sarcasm.

And the XXX version is overclocked compared to stock: 25MHz core and 100MHz memory. Not much of an overclock, but hey, it's a 5870.
 
Small step up from your 9800GTX.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/gf-gts250-sli_15.html#sect0

Dual GTS250 (really uber 9800GTX+ cards, as they are direct rebrands), are barely faster then a GTX285, and frequently are slower then a single GTX285.

http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/xfx_hd_5870_1gb_hd587a_zn/7.htm
http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/sapphire_hd5870/11.htm

and a 5870 destroys a GTX285, hard. Even in the most hardcore TWIMTBP games.


Not to mention, this is with less mature ATi drivers (at the time of the reviews, they were the only available drivers).

EDIT: [curses], I just missed the sarcasm :p
 
It's overclocked from the factory by 25MHz?????

I have the "normal" 5870s from XFX and using Afterburner they run happily at 899 MHz.

The current software by ATI won't allow you to go past 900 in either Overdrive or a third party program.

It's a great card, enjoy it.:D
Glad to see some cards finally available.
 
Lucky you, been trying to get an XFX 5870 and settled on the 5850. Could never get the 5870 completed through the payment process with out getting kicked out of it
 
It's overclocked from the factory by 25MHz?????

I have the "normal" 5870s from XFX and using Afterburner they run happily at 899 MHz.

The current software by ATI won't allow you to go past 900 in either Overdrive or a third party program.

It's a great card, enjoy it.:D
Glad to see some cards finally available.

go to the msi afterburner install folder
open msiafterburner.cfg
at the bottom change "[ATIADLHAL] EnableUnofficialOverclocking = 0" to "[ATIADLHAL] EnableUnofficialOverclocking = 1"
overclock card beyond 900mhz :cool:
 
Almost bought 1, but I'm waiting for the Toxic or Vapor-X's to be available.
 
really not that much better than the stock cooled ones and besides xfx is the only manufacturer to offer double lifetime warranty and the only one that covers overclocking
 
True, I guess I just really dig the design, the slightly quieter cooling helps too. Honestly, it probably will not be available for several months, with 5870 supply/demand as it is now.
 
go to the msi afterburner install folder
open msiafterburner.cfg
at the bottom change "[ATIADLHAL] EnableUnofficialOverclocking = 0" to "[ATIADLHAL] EnableUnofficialOverclocking = 1"
overclock card beyond 900mhz :cool:

Thanks, I'll give that a go.
Last I read, Unwinder said it wasn't possible to go over 900, ie it wouldn't "stick" in the program.:D
 
go to the msi afterburner install folder
open msiafterburner.cfg
at the bottom change "[ATIADLHAL] EnableUnofficialOverclocking = 0" to "[ATIADLHAL] EnableUnofficialOverclocking = 1"
overclock card beyond 900mhz :cool:


Sweet, thanks.

really not that much better than the stock cooled ones and besides xfx is the only manufacturer to offer double lifetime warranty and the only one that covers overclocking

Again, sweet, being an owner of one who is now playing with >900/1300 clocks. (925/1350 ATM. Passes Furmark, about to 3dMark06 it.)

Thanks for the unlock info. (It's nice just stumbling across things you want to do before you have to ask.)
 
Last edited:
Sweet, thanks.



Again, sweet, being an owner of one who is now playing with >900/1300 clocks. (925/1350 ATM. Passes Furmark, about to 3dMark06 it.)

Thanks for the unlock info. (It's nice just stumbling across things you want to do before you have to ask.)

For those looking............I had Afterburner 1.3 and this was not available yet.
The Overclocking unlock is available in the latest version of Afterburner, version 1.4 available here: http://event.msi.com/vga/afterburner/overview.htm

Used it yesterday and now I have a nice 915/1295 overclock.
The "catch" is once enabled you "lose" the powersaving mode.......in other words, the card does not downclock in 2D.
 
The "catch" is once enabled you "lose" the powersaving mode.......in other words, the card does not downclock in 2D.

Sadly this is true. Even if you put the default profile in 2D, and the OC in 3D, it still doesn't work.

I bound a hotkey for easy switching between the 2 profiles though so not a major issue. (Sucks if you forget to go back to 2D after gaming though.)
 
Back
Top