just got my galaxy 8800GT

Hardspell review

"But in the GALAXY 8800GT HDMI, we found dual-BIOS jumpers have distinction with the former ones (above left the 6-pin jumpers)"

af693201-a21c-4496-9188-112b50983d75.jpg

There we have six holes instead of 6 pins.

Adjust the voltage by moving the jumper:

Shader has become new overclocking elements of 8 series graphics, because the design of Nvidia, shader frequency and the core frequency are separated, the shader overclocking for the performance upgrade more obvious and straightforward. To address this situation, GALAXY 8800GT HDMI also designed core voltage jumpers. Just a simple jumper (below) move, we will be able to upgrade the core voltage suitable for overclocking simpler.

cedd1d36-9550-4b9b-92c3-94e0770c3a36.jpg

oh ok, so the 6 pin jumpers are for the bios switch? and the other jumper below is for the voltage increase?

now, when moving "that" jumper over how much of a boost does the core get i wonder ... i would have thought all you would of had to do would be switch the bios to get the voltage boost? not have to use a seperate jumper to up the voltage. strange setup. usually the bios up's the vcore.

having two BIOS would be interesting when something goes wrong after flashing,
and by moving the jumper you can boot up with a working BIOS.

Default vcore is 1.05v,
and the highest factory overvolted 8800gt is the evga ssc at 1.1v,
so in case that jumper is working, I assume it will increase 0.5v, which is enough to reach a decent OC.

having two BIOS would be interesting when something goes wrong after flashing,
and by moving the jumper you can boot up with a working BIOS.

Default vcore is 1.05v,
and the highest factory overvolted 8800gt is the evga ssc at 1.1v,
so in case that jumper is working, I assume it will increase 0.5v, which is enough to reach a decent OC.
so who is going to be the first one to move that 3 pin jumper??? lol, not me, but i sure am curious to know if it will bump the voltage or not.

Just wanted to let everyone know that the radial fins on the galaxy 8800gt extend into the region devoted to the power supply for the aspire / apevia X-Qpack and all microfly wariations. I am not going to RMA the card, rather I am now starting to look at my options for better designed case where the PSU isn t directly on top of the video cards. I am away from home (merry xmas) but I just wanted to let everyone know that while the galaxy 8800gt is as awesome as the second coming of christ, it does not fit in the Qpack / microfly. I will take pics as a reference when I am back home.

Just wanted to let everyone know that the radial fins on the galaxy 8800gt extend into the region devoted to the power supply for the aspire / apevia X-Qpack and all microfly wariations. I am not going to RMA the card, rather I am now starting to look at my options for better designed case where the PSU isn t directly on top of the video cards. I am away from home (merry xmas) but I just wanted to let everyone know that while the galaxy 8800gt is as awesome as the second coming of christ, it does not fit in the Qpack / microfly. I will take pics as a reference when I am back home.

When you order a Galaxy card now, they have a new dual-slot cooler under the same serial number so you don't know which one you are going to get. From the looks of the picture, this one has the 6 dualbios/voltage pins removed.

27328_V1.jpg

I received the older version, and moved the jumper. Rivatuner doesnt show any volts at all, so I have no idea of knowing whether it worked or not. I haven't started overcocking yet.

Idle is around 53c, load is 75c.

we need to make this Galaxy 8800 GT thread a sticky for future refference, considering the other 2 cards by BFG and XFX made it to the sticky, this one far outnumbers the ammount of XFX out there...

I predict eventually we're going to see jumper switching with new asian bios guides and lots of other stuff, so it'd be nice to not have to rummage through the forum or use the server-side-bandwidth-hungry search function needlessly :)

thank you!

Also, my memory is Samsung not Qimonda.

And my default mem speed is 2ghz, not 1.8.

Update: Hit a core clock wall at about 770, eased it back down to a comfortable 755.

Final clocks: 750/1800/2000 core/shader/mem
I'm pretty sure I've got more room left on the shader and mem but I don't feel like pushing it.

do you have the "coolermaster" version with Samsung memory?? wow!!

Best ram for OC, way better than Qimonda !!

and no way we can reach 770 at 1.05v, the jumper must be adding those extra 0.5v

do you have the "coolermaster" version with Samsung memory?? wow!!

Best ram for OC, way better than Qimonda !!

and no way we can reach 770 at 1.05v, the jumper must be adding those extra 0.5v
mine has the Qimondo, and it's 1.0ns which = 2000mhz. the Samsung is 1.2ns which is rated at 1800mhz.

my Qimondo ram will do over 2100mhz np. strange, you would think the cards that come clocked at 2000mhz would have the 1ns ram and the cards like mine would have the 1.2ns! go figure ...

are you sure the Samsung memory is 1.2ns ?

I'm confused, is there a version with the CoolerMaster cooler with Samsung memory and factory overclocked?

are you sure the Samsung memory is 1.2ns ?

I'm confused, is there a version with the CoolerMaster cooler with Samsung memory and factory overclocked?
the cards i saw in a review that where oc'ed out of the factory to 2000mhz had the samsung 1.2ns memory. imo that explains why most people that bought those cards had to underclock them to factory specs. now, they should have used the same memory as mine, then they couild handle that clock speed. someone screwed up somewhere along the line!

i havent seen anycards yet that have the coolermaster sink with samsung vram, only qimondo ...

i just grabbed this card at 209 for another build i'm doing and i'll certainly be comparing whatever model i receive with the evga superclocked i have already.

here's hoping for jumper switch goodness.

mmm,
so Galaxy is using different ram chips for he samre card?

1.0ns or 1.2ns ?
did you try to OC those Samsumg chips?

No, didn't bother. Too little of a performance gain to be worth my time.

Like I said, however, mine came stock at 2ghz not 1.8ghz

At first when this card showed up at NCIX, the reviews from users were not so good about vram overclocking. Even Galaxy used Qimonda 1.0ns, it was difficult to reach 2000Mhz.

Now, there are a few examples of people reaching higher overclocks, around 2100 - 2200,
and the only difference so far is the vram manufacturer, Qimonda and Samsung.

I was trying to make a list with oc results for both vram chips.

Are the higher oc results reached with Samsung memory?

At first when this card showed up at NCIX, the reviews from users were not so good about vram overclocking. Even Galaxy used Qimonda 1.0ns, it was difficult to reach 2000Mhz.

Now, there are a few examples of people reaching higher overclocks, around 2100 - 2200,
and the only difference so far is the vram manufacturer, Qimonda and Samsung.

I was trying to make a list with oc results for both vram chips.

Are the higher oc results reached with Samsung memory?
think the better mem overclock is the cards with Qimondo 1.0ns, which are the cards with the cooler master heatsink. i dont think any of the one that are clocked @ 2000 on mem have have Qimondo, which "they" are the ones that should have the 1.0ns mem.

my card has Qimondo and the coolermaster sink, and it will do 750/2100 with out breaking a sweat :) runs pretty cool too. gaming it only gets to 65c max!

I've beaten Crysis and no game other than that requires an overclock. So I reverted to stock clocks and moved the jumper back.

Temps with vcore increase and 750/1800/2000
Idle: 55c
AtiTool load: 88c

Temps with stock clocks and no vcore increase
Idle: 50c
AtiTool load: 70c

Picture for good measure:
pict0033tt7.jpg

has anyone confirmed a voltage increase after moving that jumper? my card will do 750 core np without even touching it?

I'm pretty sure my temps confirm it.
Try just switching the jumper without changing your clocks. Clock speeds also increase temps (although I don't think to that degree), but it would be something else to check out. Anyway, very interesting card Galaxy has put out, looks like a real keeper :cool:.

is there any program out ther that tells you you vid card vcore? i think riva tuner does, but im not sure how to activate that feature ...

Try just switching the jumper without changing your clocks. Clock speeds also increase temps (although I don't think to that degree), but it would be something else to check out. Anyway, very interesting card Galaxy has put out, looks like a real keeper :cool:.

Can't stabley get to the same clocks without the jumper moved.

Nice to see the jumper actually works.
Could you check if your Samsung vram is 1.0 or 1.2ns?

The voltage increase should be of 0.5 which can be reached by simply modifying the BIOS
Anything higher is only reached by hardmods.

I just asked at xtremesystems how to measure vcore with a multimeter in this PCB,
as soon as my card arrives I'll check the voltage increase.

Nice to see the jumper actually works.
Could you check if your Samsung vram is 1.0 or 1.2ns?

The voltage increase should be of 0.5 which can be reached by simply modifying the BIOS
Anything higher is only reached by hardmods.

I just asked at xtremesystems how to measure vcore with a multimeter in this PCB,
as soon as my card arrives I'll check the voltage increase.
cool. looking forward to your findings!

Back