just got my galaxy 8800GT

Blind Man

Limp Gawd
going to add in the info from this thread into this post

-Aftermarket cooler is quiet and cool (44C idle, 65C load @ stock), you can't change the speed of the fan.
-There seems to be 2 versions of this card. one with a big copper heatsink and another with a more reference looking 2 slot cooler (don't know much about this one). see this this pic if you want to put aftermarket ram sinks on the copper one.
-There are no Galaxy offices in North America, so after the one month Ncix warranty you will have to ship it to Poland or China. and no warranty coverages from damage done by overclocking.
-good overclocking results so far, however this card does not have the dual bios feature
-it has TWO 6-pin power connectors, both are needed however the card ships with 2xmolex->6pin adapters. uses a 3-phase power design
-card is a bit shorter physically than reference design
-there is a voltage jumper on this card

---------------------original post----------------------
first thoughts, fan is really quiet, it was set at 28% by default and I set it up to 100% and didn't hear a difference so I dont think it is changeable.
played through the crysis demo and the highest temp was 65C. card idles at 44C.

pics can be seen here http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=27328&promoid=1051

here is 3 loops of the crysis benchmark., all settings on medium exept sound and physics on high

10/12/2007 4:30:52 PM - XP
Beginning Run #1 on Map-island, Demo-benchmark_gpu

DX9 1680x1050, AA=No AA, Vsync=Disabled, 32 bit test, FullScreen
==============================================================

Completed All Tests

<><><><><><><><><><><><><>>--SUMMARY--<<><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Run #1- DX9 1680x1050 AA=No AA, 32 bit test, Quality: Custom ~~ Overall Average FPS: 29.185

a few questions.. do I have to leave the hardware monitoring window running to get it to display temps in the try icon and on the g15 screen, and does this look reasonable considering the spec's in my sig?

Yeah, I have a 4400+, I get 28FPS average in the Crysis bench on 1280x1024 all settings on 'High' in DX9 Win XP, with my processor overclocked to 2.6Ghz. Mind running that benchmark and posting your results here, it would be interesting for me to know. Also, if you have UT3 or its demo, tell me how that runs. Temps are good, I get 70°C max at load with 60% fan strength, it isn't loud for me, since I had an Inno3D 7800GT before, and it was even louder than this card :p

you can view the fan speed in the hardware monitoring. Just click on setup, then plugins at the bottom left corner and check the ADT7473.dll

ill try that gimme a sec :)

Completed All Tests

10/12/2007 5:51:22 PM - XP

Run #1- DX9 1280x1024 AA=No AA, 32 bit test, Quality: Custom ~~ Overall Average FPS: 23.355

ouch, should probably OC my cpu XD

edit: and I just realized since I'm using 4x 512mb of ram in dual channel its running at ddr200 instead of ddr400, going to see if my dad can find 2x 1g sticks at work :|

i ordered the same one from ncix. waiting for them to ship it.

Hows the quality of the card and the fan noise?

can you post pictures of the card? more specifically the heatsink. I wanna know if i can fit ramsinks under the heatsink.

28% to 100% and didn't notice a difference in sound?? Did you ever check your fan RPM monitor to see if that was totally correct? That'd be damn impressive if that were true.

Actually nevermind, it's not a rear-exhaust cooler. I brain farted again!

i ordered the same one from ncix. waiting for them to ship it.

Hows the quality of the card and the fan noise?

can you post pictures of the card? more specifically the heatsink. I wanna know if i can fit ramsinks under the heatsink.

the fan is pretty quiet like I said.. quality seems pretty good. there is exactly 1.3cm between the heatsink fins to the pcb so probably 1.2cm between top of the memory to the heatsink fins.

best pic I could get of the heatsink

IMG_3154.jpg

Um...Enzotech also has 9mm heatsinks. Those should fit. They're identical, but shorter. BCC9 is the model.

And yep, NCIX is awesome. Just ordered (basically) a system from them.

ill try that gimme a sec :)

Completed All Tests

10/12/2007 5:51:22 PM - XP

Run #1- DX9 1280x1024 AA=No AA, 32 bit test, Quality: Custom ~~ Overall Average FPS: 23.355

ouch, should probably OC my cpu XD

edit: and I just realized since I'm using 4x 512mb of ram in dual channel its running at ddr200 instead of ddr400, going to see if my dad can find 2x 1g sticks at work :|

Hmm, that seems a bit low to me, I got 26 FPS on all stock, 660/1650/950 (stock for "OC" edition)
Downclocking my CPU to 1.7Ghz resulted in 20 FPS for me.

I am considering getting it b/c of a good price of just 260 shipped and a better cooling fan :)
Galaxy makes good video cards? What's the warranty? Do they have any centers in the USA?

Hmm, that seems a bit low to me, I got 26 FPS on all stock, 660/1650/950 (stock for "OC" edition)
Downclocking my CPU to 1.7Ghz resulted in 20 FPS for me.

well the galaxy card is stock at 600/1500/1800. but i'm sure it can OC to OC speeds since it has a huge cooler.

warranty is 1 year and i am not sure about offices in the US. they seem to have a stronger presence in Asia.

whoa that was fast...THANKS.

i guess the Enzotech ramsinks wont fit since they are 14mm...unless i shave them off.
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=24673&vpn=BMR-C1&manufacture=EnzoTech

the heatsink looks awesome btw...i cant wait to get mine.

have you tried OCing the core and shader?....i know the memory wont budge on these cards :mad:

You don't need ram sinks, I would bet my house that ram is cooler than it would be with the stock cooler covering the chips.

I like that Galaxy card a lot.

You don't need ram sinks, I would bet my house that ram is cooler than it would be with the stock cooler covering the chips.

I like that Galaxy card a lot.

Don't need, true. But...someone should try it with them and check the RAM OC difference.

first thoughts, fan is really quiet, it was set at 28% by default and I set it up to 100% and didn't hear a difference (did it actually change it?) played through the crysis demo and the highest temp was 65C. card idles at 45C.

pics can be seen here http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=27328&promoid=1051

here is 3 loops of the crysis benchmark., all settings on medium exept sound and physics on high

Beginning Run #1 on Map-island, Demo-benchmark_gpu

DX9 1680x1050, AA=No AA, Vsync=Disabled, 32 bit test, FullScreen
==============================================================

Completed All Tests

Run #1- DX9 1680x1050 AA=No AA, 32 bit test, Quality: Custom ~~ Overall Average FPS: 29.185

here is the rivatuner hardware monitor after closing crysis, running 169.13 drivers.

a few questions.. do I have to leave the hardware monitoring window running to get it to display temps in the try icon and on the g15 screen, and does this look reasonable considering the spec's in my sig?

How much more hotter and better oc do u get when you change the vcore jumper on the card? (theres only 1 blue jumper)

ok inital OC results
galaxyOC.jpg

running ati tool for 5 mins atm.. 61 degrees C.. no errors, going to leave it running a while longer :D

EDIT: maxed out at 67 degrees after playing through the crysis demo

That's some very nice OC speeds, I bet that baby would go faster with ramsinks on. Let me know if after 1h still no errors or lockups :)
By the way I bought it, hopefully they will ship it this week.

What makes you think it would be faster with RAM sinks? RAM sinks do squat. The airflow over the RAM is enough.

no errors after an hour.. ignore the weird 0.00 clocks on ati tool known bug with latest beta afaik
edit: going back to 0.26 fixes it :p

oc1.jpg

hmm I just noticed something while looking at the rivatuner / nvidia hardware monitors.. they both show the card at stock speeds, whereas i set the OC in the nvidia control panel, and gpu-z shows me the right speeds along with ati tool..

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g18/blindmanande/whatthelol.jpg

im sure they just read of the specs, instead of the real thing. btw how many more framerates would you say after your overclock? i kinda quit overclocking because i never noticed a difference in games lol. :eek:

at least in crysis there is no performance improvements, my cpu is bottlenecking it for sure I think however I have a problem -.- I boot up today and set back to factory speeds to run a crysis benchmark for comparison, then set them to the OC i had it at last night, and it locks up a few seconds after it loads, load up ati tool, scan for artifacts instantly locks up, now im getting a tiny bit of artifacting at 730/900 :confused and an instant bsod when i clicked on show 3D view..

edit: crysis locked up halfway through second run at 720/930, will work on this later

im sure they just read of the specs, instead of the real thing.

you know, I think you are wrong....... now that I am using ati tool to set clock speeds everything is seeing the new speeds, I dont think Ntune was actually setting the clocks.. what a bummer :p

That is a bummer. Ill send you a better stress testing tool for gpu's when i get home tonight as ati tool doesn't push the card very hard as you noticed once you fired up crysis.

Also one thing to remember, just because you can push clocks that high and temps seem fairly low doesn't mean its fine to run them that fast. My old card i could clock the ram up and ATI tool didnt catch artifacts but it still was having very small pixel sized artifacts. Just take it slow as sometimes heavy OCs on ram wont cause the card to crash or even provide visual artifacting but over time damage can be done.

Lastly your cpu is limiting your card more then likely so theres no reason to OC your card hard and then leave it. Just OC for benching then set it back till you can get a new cpu and take advantage of that overclock.

hmm, i wonder if i need a new cpu.. i have a amd x2 3600+ am2.. check out the sigggg...:confused:

hmm, i wonder if i need a new cpu.. i have a amd x2 3600+ am2.. check out the sigggg...:confused:

Depends what framerate you find is "acceptable". Except around 25 FPS in Crysis on all "High", but you can use tweaks (I'll show you some good ones) to boost that up by quite a bit. Besides, your CPU will not really bottleneck you too far, you will still be playing UT3/ COD4/ ProStreet, etc. at max resolution and details with AA. Depends on your decision, I suggest you try out your CPU and tell us all what you think, then decide yourself what is best for you. Good luck with your card mate.

Depends what framerate you find is "acceptable". Except around 25 FPS in Crysis on all "High", but you can use tweaks (I'll show you some good ones) to boost that up by quite a bit. Besides, your CPU will not really bottleneck you too far, you will still be playing UT3/ COD4/ ProStreet, etc. at max resolution and details with AA. Depends on your decision, I suggest you try out your CPU and tell us all what you think, then decide yourself what is best for you. Good luck with your card mate.

thanks thanks.... ill check it out, maybe i can overclock my cpu a lil bit :D

Just got mine today and although it runs cool & quiet, (much bettter than my previous XFX 8800GT), I cannot get RivaTuner to make any difference to the fan speed (& fan sound never changes). RT won't show any fan speed in the monitor even though the Fan Duty Cycle % monitor changes with temperature.

Will ATI Tool control fan speed for this card?

I cant seem to change the fan speed either, however I remember with my old zalman cooler on my x850 I couldn't change the fan speed either, maybe this one is the same? it's really quiet and keeps the temps down though so I would probably leave it anyway

Riva tuner works great for my old 8800, try setting it to 100% saving it and also setting it to default 100% on windows boot then reboot and see what you get.

RivaTuner worked fine with my reference 8800GT & GTS but this is a non-reference board with a Zalman type circular finned cooler so its probably set up different. The fan has a 3 pin plug though so maybe there's another way to control it but unfortunately the 3 pin plugs on my MB are all presently in use.

Didn't try that one but I'm reluctant to do so as I heard of a few problems with it. Anyone else know?

Edit, sorry I was thinking of Ntune

Edit, no ajustment for fan speed on my control panel (Forceware 169.21)

Back