just got my galaxy 8800GT

I've yet to actually start my new build. Is the noise really as bad as people make it out to be? I've heard comparisons to hairdryers.

I would definitely say not literally a hair dryer, but fairly close. It's loud enough that it is significantly noticable above your other case fans (unless you have very loud ones). I would estimate it to be a constant 45 DB.

Theres a review on guru3d of the HDMI version with the same cooler, guy measured it 53dBA @75cm.

It certainly sounds close enough to a hairdryer on low (that constant whoosh), it overpowers the fan noise of every computer i have in here, even the ones with "noisy" 60mm HSF units. :)

I recently got this card from ncix for $134ar. way too good to pass up. With the stock cooler, it ran ridiculously hot for some reason. I imagine not enough pressure on the screws, but I never bothered to figure it out. My model has the zalman like cooler. With the jumper at stock (1.2v I believe?), it idled at around 60'c and under load goes right to 95'c+. I immediately swapped out the cooler for the mcw60 I had hooked up to my old 7900gs. It fixed temperatures right up to ~34'c idle, ~40'c load. But as with my last 7900gs, memory clocking is extremely sensitive to finger oils / original contaminants. I really need to pull out the card and wash it all out with alcohol. Right now, I can max at around 1000 without seeing dots in atitool artifact scanner. It's nothing that's "detectable" but atitool but I can see the dots. With my 7900gs, doing a simple qtip wash with alcohol brought my ram from a max in the low 700's to 800+ easy. It also allowed me to hit 880 stably with a minor pencil voltmod.

I haven't tested too far with the overclocking limits yet, but see that so far, it seems to be ram limited. Running 1100 ram (atitool artifacts but seemingly nothing else), I gained a decent boost in 3dmark06. If I can get this without bumping ram volts, I'd be quite pleased.

Currently, I'm running 750/1875/1800 as a daily speed. Will at least run 2000 ram once I get things sorted.

Been at 1.3v jumper since I put the block on. Never measured it with my dmm yet

I recently got this card from ncix for $134ar. way too good to pass up. With the stock cooler, it ran ridiculously hot for some reason. I imagine not enough pressure on the screws, but I never bothered to figure it out. My model has the zalman like cooler. With the jumper at stock (1.2v I believe?), it idled at around 60'c and under load goes right to 95'c+. I immediately swapped out the cooler for the mcw60 I had hooked up to my old 7900gs. It fixed temperatures right up to ~34'c idle, ~40'c load. But as with my last 7900gs, memory clocking is extremely sensitive to finger oils / original contaminants. I really need to pull out the card and wash it all out with alcohol. Right now, I can max at around 1000 without seeing dots in atitool artifact scanner. It's nothing that's "detectable" but atitool but I can see the dots. With my 7900gs, doing a simple qtip wash with alcohol brought my ram from a max in the low 700's to 800+ easy. It also allowed me to hit 880 stably with a minor pencil voltmod.

I haven't tested too far with the overclocking limits yet, but see that so far, it seems to be ram limited. Running 1100 ram (atitool artifacts but seemingly nothing else), I gained a decent boost in 3dmark06. If I can get this without bumping ram volts, I'd be quite pleased.

Currently, I'm running 750/1875/1800 as a daily speed. Will at least run 2000 ram once I get things sorted.

Been at 1.3v jumper since I put the block on. Never measured it with my dmm yet

That's a nice core/shader/memory OC in your sig. How much difference in performance versus stock?

I'll be updating that speed in a bit once I get my other motherboard back. But it's not entirely stable. In atitool, 800/2000/2200 will give artifacts. But I can run a 3dmark without any issues. I believe at stock, I got in the mid 10000's. At 800/2000/2200, I believe I broke 13000. Can't recall though. I'll report back when I know for sure.

edit: I tried running loop at those speeds a few days ago. No artifacts, but after a while, 3dmark would either crash, or it'd have an error in the driver and crash.

Just for kicks, I ran my Galaxy 8800 GT up to those specs, knowing full well it wouldn't be stable.

I was surprised it didn't cause a freeze or a hard re-boot. I actually played Crysis for about 20 seconds before it locked-up on me.

It would be a nice little project to these running that fast stable.

i'm running my galaxy cm version in sli with my evga model, both bios' flashed at 700/1720/2000, nothing too serious.

galaxy never rises above 50C in my case, can't say the same for the evga model.

the round hsf is a great cooler, especially in a case with side fans.

i'm running my galaxy cm version in sli with my evga model, both bios' flashed at 700/1720/2000, nothing too serious.

galaxy never rises above 50C in my case, can't say the same for the evga model.

the round hsf is a great cooler, especially in a case with side fans.

Yeah, I didn't like the reference 8800GTs. Sometimes the fans rub against the inside fan casing. They run very hot, also. I've had it happen with EVGA 8800 GT and 9600 GT.

The best cards are usually the ones with the custom PCB and custom coolers. I guess that 's the only way the off-brands can sell 'em and be competitive.

mine's still goin strong too, albeit gimped... in order to run sli with my lesser evga model.

everything's nicely overclocked, don't get me wrong, but if my evga could clock as well as my galaxy things would be better.

... even though it's only a matter of 1-4 fps.

sugo.jpg

very happy with my purchase, still going strong one year (and three cases) later.

WTF, is that a 8800GT with two 6pin power connectors?

Not only that...but there's a voltage jumper on the card, also. You can bump it up for better overclocks.

Many people dumped on Galaxy. That's a sweet card. If I were looking at a good mid-range GPU right now, I pick one up @ Tiger Direct for under 100 bucks. Just hope they don't send you a refurb. motherboard....

Back