Just Cause 3

When you say "Gamepad", what exactly do you mean? JC2 worked great with the XBox 360 controller and keyboard.

This isn't JC2...

I have kb/m and an xbox one pad and it's been ok, except that you can't seem to invert the Y axis on the pad but not the mouse like I think you could with JC2, and which means I've ended up on kb/m only. But that's ok, because the controls seem a lot slicker in the new one.

I also don't like the fact that you have to use the gamepad for certain things rather than either/or when its plugged in which is annoying especially menus etc.

This isn't JC2...

I also don't like the fact that you have to use the gamepad for certain things rather than either/or when its plugged in which is annoying especially menus etc.

"Gamepad" is a generic term covering hundreds of controllers. Which gamepad are you having a problem with?

I have the game running in windowed mode (for concurrent browsing).
Works ok with a 360 controller. I can switch back and forth.
Does remind me of red faction:guerrilla, although from picking up shards you now complete challenges
Also seems like they realized how much fun the drag line was and added much better functionality to it

Played the game for a bit. Performance seems fantastic with 1440P maxed details including AA. Game looks good as well. Causing chaos is fun as ever. However, I can see the novelty wear off quite soon just like it did for Mad Max and I never finished that too.

The writing is absolutely horrible though. I haven't even smiled one bit on what is being said. Was better in JC2. From the 1 hour or so I played, it is a decent 6/10 game.

Thats a killer!

I don't like driving with a KBM, but I hate aiming with a controller...

It works fine for me. I use the mouse and keyboard for everything possible, and then pickup my 360 pad for driving and helicoptering. The switching for me is seamless as it recognizes both of them at the same time.

I can't aim for shit with a controller. I know where you come from with that statement!

Played the game for a bit. Performance seems fantastic with 1440P maxed details including AA. Game looks good as well. Causing chaos is fun as ever. However, I can see the novelty wear off quite soon just like it did for Mad Max and I never finished that too.

The writing is absolutely horrible though. I haven't even smiled one bit on what is being said. Was better in JC2. From the 1 hour or so I played, it is a decent 6/10 game.

That's exactly how I thought that someone that didn't really click with Mad Max would feel about the game. I finished Mad Max but was a few scrap missions away from having all of the engines unlock.

Mad Max had a great story that was slow and methodically told over time. Well it took me 78 hours to play the game as I wanted to 100% everything until I saw the ending. So for someone not as devoted to literally finding every scrap mission it would have been over much quicker.

In Just Cause 3 I could care less about the story. It's there, but I think it's written for a 15 year old. I just like blowing stuff up and it fills that desire fully for me. I'm not sure if I will finish the game, but so far I'm fully vested into liberating towns. But I can easily see where the game can go off into repetition like Mad Max was.

I played Warframe for over 2500 hours and I know that the last 700 of it was running the same map over and over trying to last in a survival situation. In another words I don't mind repetition as long as I can mold the situation to my liking. JC3 is a sandbox so that fits my personality. But I can also see where someone would get bored and quit.

I've mostly had a bug free experience with the game so far. In about 16 hours of play I've had one freeze (after completing a challenge).

The main issue I have is flickering surfaces with Global Illumination turned on. It doesn't happen that often but it is fairly noticeable when it does. Anyone else experience this and know of any fixes aside from turning it off?

Does remind me of red faction:guerrilla, although from picking up shards you now complete challenges.

Totally agree. I hope Nordic Games does a sequel to Red Faction: Guerrilla, but JC3 will do nicely in the meantime.

Last edited:
Went over to my brothers last night he has an i5 760 with 16GB DDR3 and an r9 280 and he is running it just fine at 1440p from what i saw damn near maxxed out. All on very high/high with motion blur off and FXAA. Looked good except one background mountain looked like shit for some reason, like the texture didnt fully load. Didnt play it long was just there to update his driver because he had some old drivers causing issues in the game.

If i didnt have such a massive backlog i would buy it right now. But since i do ill wait for the first sale.

Totally agree. I hope Nordic Games does a sequel to Red Faction: Guerrilla, but JC3 will do nicely in the meantime.

Armageddon was such a let down. can appreciate the desire to make it more of a linear game, but they lost a lot of what made guerrilla special.

I will try messing around again tonight but, like I said for menu's it wasn't liking me, but apparently I'm alone.

I'm so upset this didn't come with a benchmark, I thought for sure it would be there. It was my favorite thing about JC2 lol.

FYI for anyone looking for a legit deal on this game; ebay for a intel game bundle voucher. Includes CS:GO and Just Cause 3. They're selling for $40 and you know you're getting a legit NA cdkey for the game.

FYI for anyone looking for a legit deal on this game; ebay for a intel game bundle voucher. Includes CS:GO and Just Cause 3. They're selling for $40 and you know you're getting a legit NA cdkey for the game.

I bought this bundle from a fellow forum member here and it's the real deal. All the keys worked and is a pretty good deal.

I though it was crazy to see how much CounterStrike has changed over the years, I remember playing this religiously in college (2000 - 2005) nuts to see how popular the core game still is.

Game is running surprisingly well for me @ 1440p on a single 680. I hope they release a SLI patch soon.

So, after this game killed one of my 780Tis (coincidence I'm sure) I've been running on a single card too and it runs very well. I've not had any real issues to speak of.

I've noticed trying to using both KBM + Gamepad can cause some oddities but nothing that has been a show stopper.

I've also noticed that the physics are a little too whacky. As someone else mentioned just nudging a passing car can sometime unleash hell. I also barely managed to clip a kerb at about 20 mph. My car was thrown into the air like it had just driven up a ramp at 150mph!

Other than some quirks like that, I've not had any major issues. I can't seem to aim / ads at all though with non-scoped weapons. Is that normal?

Armageddon was such a let down. can appreciate the desire to make it more of a linear game, but they lost a lot of what made guerrilla special.

Couldn't agree more. JC3 scratches a destruction itch that hasn't been around since 2009.I hope more developers work on destruction playgrounds.

Only gripe is that not ALL buildings are destructible, but I understand as you are supposed to be fighting for the freedom of the oppressed.

No more controller issues except menus but they both work together. Only thing I'm seeing is the grappling hook is still clunky.

Finished the game today. Had all the item unlocks, did not bother with many of the gear unlocks, just did not find them fun, also somewhat unnecessary as it turns out. The game does have a free play mode where you can re-suppress bases and capture them again.

I have kb/m and an xbox one pad and it's been ok, except that you can't seem to invert the Y axis on the pad but not the mouse like I think you could with JC2, and which means I've ended up on kb/m only. But that's ok, because the controls seem a lot slicker in the new one.

you can invert y on the gamepad, it's under Game I believe and not Controls.

I played for an hour the other day and it runs good for me.

I really want to play this game, but I also know I'll get bored without MP in a sandbox this big.

A game like this that is SP only is like slap in the face.

What's the best technique to destroying those big satcom dishes? I feel like I spend a lot of time going around in circles with a chopper firing at it like a mad man, or using loads of explosives to blow it up. Curious if there is a weak point that can speed things up a bit

the heavy missiles are the best. there is also an endgame oneshot weapon. don't bother with the railings or supports, hit the receiver in the top and areas where it gets supported. if you can get the multi-rocket/grenade launchers they are also good.

So, after this game killed one of my 780Tis (coincidence I'm sure) I've been running on a single card too and it runs very well. I've not had any real issues to speak of.

I've noticed trying to using both KBM + Gamepad can cause some oddities but nothing that has been a show stopper.

I've also noticed that the physics are a little too whacky. As someone else mentioned just nudging a passing car can sometime unleash hell. I also barely managed to clip a kerb at about 20 mph. My car was thrown into the air like it had just driven up a ramp at 150mph!

Other than some quirks like that, I've not had any major issues. I can't seem to aim / ads at all though with non-scoped weapons. Is that normal?

Precision Aim is one of the perks you can unlock doing the shooting challenges.

Found the game to be pretty boring, didn't feel like playing anymore after an hour and had to return it to red box today. Might buy it when it's $20 to give it more time.

So I have to ask, how are the load times/lag on the PC version? I rented the game for Xbox One yesterday and the thing that killed me was attempted one of the challenges where you have to drive a truck above a certain speed and then drive it into the target for a big explosion. Well, I would mess it up and have to restart but restarting that one thing probably took at least 2 or 3 minutes to load again. And then when there are explosions the game just slows to a crawl sometimes.

How does the PC version far? Maybe the PS4 version is better, but I am curious b/c i wouldn't mind buying the game but I won't buy it for Xbox the way it performs right now.

Its running fine on my rig at 4k.. Load times aren't bad, it is annoying having to reload the challenges...

So I have to ask, how are the load times/lag on the PC version?
Was having random fps drops and fixed it using borderless window mode. It would occasionally drop to 30 fps making gameplay unbearable. Takes me back to Crysis in 2007 but that was much worse.

There's occasional stutter here and there but it's minimal. Most of the time it's butter smooth.

I have the game installed on a SSD. Load times vary with missions but it's usually under 10 seconds.

I've experienced only one game crash after 30 hours of gameplay.

I donno. I havent used ebay much over the years since getting scammed $750 on one of those 1440 ips monitors, but is charging $20 shipping for a digital key not seem like a scam?

I think I haven't touched after playing the first hour once lol. I got it for 25 bucks so it is OK. I will get my 10 hours out of it somehow in this lifetime lol. Should have waited to pick it up for $5 just like I did with JC2 so I didn't have remorse.

Fun game.

For some reason today I have developed an issue where when I get past the title screen and then the load screen I almost make it into the game and then it CTD's and sends an error report.

Anyone else having these problems?

http://www.gameskinny.com/apwj1/how...use-3-crashing-stuttering-driver-problems-etc

Mentioned in this. I'll try and get it fixed.

EDIT: Updated GPU driver. I was pretty current but apparently not enough. Hope that's all it is.

Last edited:
I donno. I havent used ebay much over the years since getting scammed $750 on one of those 1440 ips monitors, but is charging $20 shipping for a digital key not seem like a scam?

You must have not used ebay in a while. They now charge their fees for the gross sale, not just the item cost. So the days of charging $1 and then $20 for shipping to avoid fees are over.

Bought my key no problem from ebay, and I sell on ebay at least once a month for old tech I don't use. Have only had minor issues with asshats that win auctions and then don't pay which just wastes my time and nothing more. Further, if you buy from an auction and get screwed you have so many methods to get your money back these days that it isn't an issue.

FYI someone finally made an FOV fix mod. It works by memory hook I believe, so it has to run in the background with the game. Doesn't seem like anyone had success with tweaking ini files because there's just no setting for it.

Edit: Link

I'm having a hard time getting used to motion blur in this game after playing FO4 for so long. Is there a way to increase AA beyond what the ingame settings provide?

I really enjoyed this game. Nice graphics, fun gameplay. I enjoyed it more than the previous game, although it was inferior in some ways. The last game had more distinct variations of settings in the map, which is missing in this game. You have some small alpine like areas but most of the map is tropical. Few arid areas and no massive city. I also miss the large amount of airports. Not only that, but there seems to be zero civilian air traffic. The map certainly looks more realistic than Just Cause 2, but I still liked the map in the second game more. This game also requires you to eliminate every single enemy object in a certain area to liberate it, whereas the 2nd game you just had to do a certain amount of damage anywhere on the map. I honestly preferred the previous method as it allowed for more freedom and less searching for that last billaboard while flying by in a jet. But otherwise the controls were much better. I did think the story was better in the 2nd game as well as it was even more tongue in cheek. Side missions are essentially liberating outposts in this game to, whereas in JC2 the missions were often as good as the main story missions. This made JC3 feel a bit more repetitive overall.

But this game just handled better and therefore was less frustrating overall. I enjoyed this game a good bit more, which I find odd given how many small changes I thought were less than ideal. I suppose it was just fun.

Back