Just a quick question...why own multiple pairs?

oC|-TiTaN

2[H]4U
2FA
Joined
Aug 18, 2005
Messages
2,096
Hey guys, just fell into this secret realm of "cans" and PPA's and opamp's and cmoys and after browsing the "Post your HeadPhones" thread a question came to mind: Why have more than one pair?

I can see owning a portable pair of earbuds/canalbuds for use with an mp3 player and a larger, higher-quality pair of closed cans for home use, but why have 5+ expensive pairs of the same type? There has to be one pair that you prefer, so why not just try a bunch out til you find that pair and then only buy it? I just can't justify spending $150+ on multiple pairs of headphones when you only have 2 ears.

Enlighten me :)
 
oC|-TiTaN said:
Hey guys, just fell into this secret realm of "cans" and PPA's and opamp's and cmoys and after browsing the "Post your HeadPhones" thread a question came to mind: Why have more than one pair?

I can see owning a portable pair of earbuds/canalbuds for use with an mp3 player and a larger, higher-quality pair of closed cans for home use, but why have 5+ expensive pairs of the same type? There has to be one pair that you prefer, so why not just try a bunch out til you find that pair and then only buy it? I just can't justify spending $150+ on multiple pairs of headphones when you only have 2 ears.

Enlighten me :)

upgrades over the years.. different cans fit different music better
 
Initially I bought the a500s for a good all-around headphone. Then I decided to check out the grado sound and got the MS-1s. I loved them enough to sell off my a500s to a friend. When I moved out with my roomate a while back I quickly discovered a need for closed headphones, so so I went for an upgrade in the a900s. Keeping the ms-1s though.. they sound to good to get rid of. The Shure's are for my transit ride in the morning :)
 
Different situations, different audio styles... I have KSC75, HD497, HD280, and SR60 cans.

The KSC75s stay in my backpack for portable use, the HD280 are great for road trips, the SR60 lend themselves to rock well, and the HD497 are tough as nails and I use them for LAN parties (I don't like being isolated in public).

Granted, my cans are all under $100, but that's why they're all around. A lot of it is that I'm a packrat and don't like to get rid of things, although I have considered selling my SR60 and HD497 if I don't start using them more soon, and getting something nicer...
 
Because each headphone may sound best with certain music and sound way different. My Sony SA5000s have a way different sound signature than my Sennheiser HD580s, sometimes I am in the mood to listen to either or.
 
Svperstar hit it on the head.
I have a portable pair, and I hope to reduce down to just two pairs for home.
 
whats worse is that after i got my 580s im considering spending almost $900 on an amp and cdp.
 
Ok, lets ammend this thread and I want you guys to recommend me some closed cans for listening to metal/rock. Whatever pair/set gets 10 votes will be the ones I check out first.
 
oC|-TiTaN said:
Ok, lets ammend this thread and I want you guys to recommend me some closed cans for listening to metal/rock. Whatever pair/set gets 10 votes will be the ones I check out first.

what is your price range?
 
oC|-TiTaN said:
Hey guys, just fell into this secret realm of "cans" and PPA's and opamp's and cmoys and after browsing the "Post your HeadPhones" thread a question came to mind: Why have more than one pair?

I can see owning a portable pair of earbuds/canalbuds for use with an mp3 player and a larger, higher-quality pair of closed cans for home use, but why have 5+ expensive pairs of the same type? There has to be one pair that you prefer, so why not just try a bunch out til you find that pair and then only buy it? I just can't justify spending $150+ on multiple pairs of headphones when you only have 2 ears.

Enlighten me :)
I personally own a few simply because I have a use for multiple headphones. One is my main set, then I have others for at home use with my laptop and old computer.... you know, stuff like that.

But, when your start talking about people having two headphones that they use interchangeably, that is mostly because they like each headphone's sonic signiture for different applications. Perhapse one does rock better, while the other just shines with classical. Maybe one is too revealing for cheaper mixed songs, so they use their "cheaper" headphone on these.

Then again, there are those that just LOVE to collect headphones. I kinda fall into this realm, if only I wasn't a poor person.

Welcome to the secrect undergound world of audio.
 
oC|-TiTaN said:
Ok, lets ammend this thread and I want you guys to recommend me some closed cans for listening to metal/rock. Whatever pair/set gets 10 votes will be the ones I check out first.
You'd do best to start a new thread Me Thinks.
Anyway, im not saying I vote for the Beyerdynamic DT770pro, just that you should add that to your short list of headphones to listen to and try on. ;)
 
once u start buying headphones u always want the next best thing.

i use kinyo 5.1 for gaming
steelsound's for clan matches
senn hd525 for music or gaming or movie's on the laptop
koss titanium earclips for mp3 player
 
djing, listening on the bus, listening at home, playing games. Until I find something that does it all well I will own 4 headphones.
 
@ the headphone reccomendation question: do you plan on gaming with these phones

and where do you live...you could check out some head-fi meets and see whos sound signature you like best...sennheiser..grado...AT...sony...etc

and as custom on this forum...sorry about your wallet
 
hahaha guys, guys, if you'll notice i made this thread over a year ago and have since been converted to a headfier...i now know what i didn't then and have been changed by it =)
 
i understand that, i was just making note of how its so weird to think i thought that way, knowing now what i didn't know then and that i do understand now
 
right now i have a pair of RS-1's with a Mapletree Ear+ Purist HD as my main rig but as i never have time to appreciate it i'm cutting back and just going to use my SR-225's with my 80GB iPod through a LDM+

I can always obtain my dream setup again in the future but right now the extra money would be nice.
 
Back
Top