• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Juniper - Huge dissapointment!

dagas

Gawd
Joined
Oct 18, 2006
Messages
614
I thought the 5770 was going to do to the market what 4770 did. However instead they release a card with pretty much the same specs as a 4890 except with half the memory bus (128 instead of 256-bit) for pretty much the same price as you can find a 4890 for and only 59 dollars below the 5850 which seems like a much, much better deal.

There was talk about 1120 shaders and 192-bit bus instead we get 800 shaders like the 4870/90 etc with a 128-bit bus.

I don't understand what is going on. I thought new cards where supposed to be better than old ones at the same price. This card should be replacing the 4770 around 100 bucks not the 4890 around 200 bucks.

Am I missing something or what is going on? Makes no sense at all!
 
76.8GB/s on the 5770.....the 4890 is like 125GB/s standard isnt it?
doesnt sound like it will be enough for those gaming @ over 1680x1050
 
They're releasing a DX11 card with just below 4890 performanc (according to mark06 & vantage benches) performance for 150€, shame on them, how dare they.
:confused:

I don't get you, dagas.
 
€150? Maybe where you live, but in Sweden the price is expected to be the same as a 4890 at €170 or more. Also the 4890 (which is just an overclocked 4870) is based on a design several years old at this point. You say just below 4890 so should be about 4870 then. You can get a 1GB 4870 for €135, seems like a much better deal. And Dx11 won't make a difference for long and you would want at least a 5850 for DX11 games anyway.

Maybe I demand too much, but I expect new generation of cards to blow the old ones away. There should be at least a 30 % increase in performance for the same price. Instead we get a card 2 years after 4870 that is about as good. Forgive me if I'm disappointed.

The jump to 5850/70 just seems to high. I mean half the memory bus and half the 5870 in shaders. If it is 1120 I would accept it, but 800 just seems so 2007/08 and that 128-bit bus should cripple it alot in some cases. You say it's only slight worse than 4890 in 3dmark, but I bet in some cases it's much worse unless they have managed to really optimize it because on paper it looks more like a cross between 4770 and 4890.

EDIT Other Swedish sites are now reporting 1120 stream processors so maybe Sweclockers were wrong. If so it's not too terrible, but I still was hoping for a card somewhere between 4980 and 5850 in performance not slightly below 4890.
 
Last edited:
They're releasing a DX11 card with just below 4890 performanc (according to mark06 & vantage benches) performance for 150€, shame on them, how dare they.
:confused:

I don't get you, dagas.

My first reaction was i thought the numbers were a bit low. I wouldve rathered a 256bit or 192bit version even if they charged an extra $30 or whatever, but im sure Brent knows what hes talking about better than i do :)
 
I wouldn't worry about bit depth of memory bus, I've shared you guys concern for it with ATI, and they tell me the architecture is balanced, they tell me the GPU is more engine bound than it is memory bandwidth bound.

I told them what you guys think about it all, so they are very aware of your thoughts on the memory bus.
 
Last edited:
Maybe I demand too much, but I expect new generation of cards to blow the old ones away.

And the 5850/5870 did indeed blow away the older high end cards 4870/4890.

You should be expecting the 5770 to blow away the 4850/4830.
 
And the 5850/5870 did indeed blow away the older high end cards 4870/4890.

You should be expecting the 5770 to blow away the 4850/4830.

I guess my expectations were too high. I guess not every card can be a 8800GT. When that came out at around 200 bucks and competed with cards twice it's price it was magic. I guess that sort of thing only happens a couple of times a decade.
 
€150? Maybe where you live, but in Sweden the price is expected to be the same as a 4890 at €170 or more. Also the 4890 (which is just an overclocked 4870) is based on a design several years old at this point. .


out of curiosity, what is your idea of "several"? also, you are acting like somebody is forcing you to buy these cards. dont like them, dont buy them.
 
From all the rumors I've read, these cards should be released at the end of this month, with my guess being the last Tuesday or Wednesday of October.
 
I guess my expectations were too high. I guess not every card can be a 8800GT. When that came out at around 200 bucks and competed with cards twice it's price it was magic. I guess that sort of thing only happens a couple of times a decade.

Except the 8800GT sold closer to $300 for a long time.
 
out of curiosity, what is your idea of "several"? also, you are acting like somebody is forcing you to buy these cards. dont like them, dont buy them.

Well in a way I am forced to buy a new card since the one I have is a bit broken. Can't install any driver newer than nForce 178 for whatever reason or I get all kinds of bugs.

Of course I can buy something else, but it's not like there is anything else out below $200 that gives a big enough boost from my 8800GTS 512 to be worth upgrading to.

I guess I should just stick to what I have until the cards get cheaper. The only game I want to play is Dragon Age and I can't justify spending over $200 for one game. However PC hardware is like a drug, I want a card that can max out Crysis even if I don't want to play it. I want to have a better PC than my friend who just bought a 4890 even though he spends 99 % of the time playing games on facebook. It's as illogical as our achievements competition...

I should probably just try to relax and think about what is really necessary, but it's hard. Part of me wants to buy a DSi even though I've barely touched my DS I bought in 2004. Part of me wants a Zune HD even though I love my iPod Touch. Part of me wants a PS3 even though I have more games on 360 than I have time to play.

I bet some of you know the feeling. Having a powerful video cars is a bit like having a sports car, you are not allowed to drive at 200mph on the road anyway, yet you rather want a car that can. Even if you don't use it much it feels good to know you could play Crysis if you wanted to =P

Also having a better video card doesn't mean more enjoyment out of the game. When I upgraded from a X1950GT to a 8800GTS 512 I could max out everything in Oblivion and even use higher res textures that people had created and other mods that made the game look better. Yet it didn't feel anymore fun than before. I guess I should just be happy that I have not only what is required to play Dragon Age, but also what is recommended. Even if I won't be able to max out everything at 1920x1200 (which is the native res on the monitor) and have 8xMSAA etc I should still be able to enjoy the game...or at least that's what I have to tell myself =P
 
Whoa OP got all philosophical.

Worst case scenario the 4890 gets cheaper. I don't see how it's not win win. I'll reserve judgment until the [H] review anyhow.
 
Whoa OP got all philosophical.

Worst case scenario the 4890 gets cheaper. I don't see how it's not win win. I'll reserve judgment until the [H] review anyhow.

Exactly, all this is mostly speculation as to gameplay. Oh and this...

^ those performance estimates are low

I think you guys will be pleasantly surprised

So who knows, like Brent said, we might just be all surprised :D
 
HD4770 with 128 bit bus kicks butt and the HD5770 with 128bit bus and advanced architecture will kick much great butt.

It's going to be a huge success because it will have the latest and greatest GPU technology and high performance for a price that has never before been offered.
 
I'm confused... its a disappointment that the mid-range card performs about the same as last generations FASTEST single GPU card, even when considering the lower energy draw?? Some peoples' logic...

EDIT: by fastest I mean on the ATI side.
 
You should be expecting the 5770 to blow away the 4850/4830.

I have seen a glimpse of the future with my HD4770 and I know the HD5770 will destroy the HD4870 and HD4890.
 
I wouldn't worry about bit depth of memory bus, I've shared you guys concern for it with ATI, and they tell me the architecture is balanced, they tell me the GPU is more engine bound than it is memory bandwidth bound.

I told them what you guys think about it all, so they are very aware of your thoughts on the memory bus.

When the 1st few DDR5 boards from ATI were delivered some places on the net still had reviews that listed something like this "OMG ATI never learns Nvidia has 448 bits bus and 512 bits bus and ATI is still s(t)uck"

Ofcourse those sites were pretty laughable at best these days anyone can "test" and put it on a webpage.

And ofcourse why would ATI make videocards that no one will buy due to design failure.
 
When the 1st few DDR5 boards from ATI were delivered some places on the net still had reviews that listed something like this "OMG ATI never learns Nvidia has 448 bits bus and 512 bits bus and ATI is still s(t)uck"

Ofcourse those sites were pretty laughable at best these days anyone can "test" and put it on a webpage.

And ofcourse why would ATI make videocards that no one will buy due to design failure.

Sort of like the 4350/4500 64 bit bus being double rate? Dunno.

Architecture, while limited by the hardware around it, is still more important.

If you have GPU that take 12 steps to render an image, compared to one that takes 4, the 4 steps would win out, even if the 12 steps were technically twice as fast at each step.

We just have to wait, as the cards are already out there, but until October 13th...
 
Except the 8800GT sold closer to $300 for a long time.

Yes...512MB 8800GT debuted at $299. It wasn't until the 8800GTS came out in that the 8800GT dropped to $250.

People were just too used to obscene pricing on GPUs when ATI couldn't put up a competing product (the 8800 Ultra was $599, 8800 GTX $499 over a year after release) that $300 was considered "mainstream."

Today $300 is "enthusiast."
 
Back
Top