January 2012 AMD HardOCP FX GamExperience

Just arrived and waiting in line to get in. Lots of people here, this should be damn cool

Is there some sort of filter to block all these updates for this event? I live in the chicago area and can only be tormented by this and not going......Oh the humanity!!!
Its cold in Texas? Heck I'd stand in a line on a cold day in chicago anytime to go to this!

Im in Chicago as well, SOuth Suburbs and just finished digging out my driveway :( Next year im coming down for the event for sure, Save me a spot.

I was there from about 10:30 to 3:00, I didnt win anything and was kinda bummed, but then again the stuff they were giving out is slower than what I bought for myself already. :p And now that I'm home I was ready to check out my msi playing cards and free movie screening passes. But my bag got misplaced with some one else's some how and all I have are free pens and twizzler wrappers. :(

Oh well, at least I got to see people drink pickle juice and eat peanut butter

This has been a great event and I'm exhausted. No wins here it it has still been an awesome event

What time did the guy who was first in line get there?

I pulled into the parking lot around 9a. There were probably around 25-30 cars already there, most almost everyone was staying in their cars to keep warm. I was going to do the same, but I said, what the heck, the lines gotta start somewhere, so I got out and stood by the door. :cool:

I pulled into the parking lot around 9a. There were probably around 25-30 cars already there, most almost everyone was staying in their cars to keep warm. I was going to do the same, but I said, what the heck, the lines gotta start somewhere, so I got out and stood by the door. :cool:

Nicely done.

Just got home. Left @3am this morn and got there around 9:30. Was a fun event for sure. Looking forward to the next one. Maybe I'll fly next time to avoid the 12 hr drive
I thought I was an early bird!

Next up,
Bread eating contest, notice the guy on the right. He's got his technique down.

Some cool stuff I saw there, the new Obsidian 550D, for the guys who wants a nice silent case, been reviewed at CES but always cool to see it in person.

ASUS 7970 Direct CU with twin fans, early march release date, custom PCB and HSF, according to the asus guy at the booth NO COIL squeal due to better chokes and VRM

Wished I could have stayed til the end but driving back late night woulda killed me.
What did they do with all the corsair headsets? Awesome and super comfy btw, so atleast I got to try before I buy!.

Thanks again to [H]ardOCP and AMD!

Last edited:
Thanks again for the great event! I had a great time. I'm already looking forward to the next one.

Had a great time at the event; can't wait to go again next year. It's really a shame the machines running the bf3 tourneys were having so much trouble though.

Had a great time at the event! Danced like a fool to win a 120GB SSD lol. Thanks for everyone that cheered me to the win! Was a perfect Birthday gift!

is [H] going to have more of these events in the future?

if so maybe time for a [H] and amd tech tour if it happens for the love of everything that is holy make them come to chicago damn you all!!!!!!

I just want to extend a huge thanks to Kyle for putting together this event. I had a great time with my friend....second place in bf3 tourney was awesome!

Had a great time at the event! Danced like a fool to win a 120GB SSD lol. Thanks for everyone that cheered me to the win! Was a perfect Birthday gift!

That was probably the funniest moment of the day. Congrats!

Hey guys,

When you went up on stage to have your picture taken, we were supposed to tag them on Facebook. do you know where those were posted?

That was probably the funniest moment of the day. Congrats!

That was the GREATEST moment of the day. The other guy had nothing to do with gaming and was the better dancer and nobody cared. They all wanted the real gamer to win. Enjoy your SSD!

Last edited:
I just now got home from Dallas. For those of you wondering who the heck I am, I got 3rd place in the OC challenge (I oc'ed on the FX platform) and won a sound card that's going to be used in my new rig. (Also, I heard someone yell out crack kills) :D

I walked in this morning, just waiting to get through the day so I could go buy the parts for my new Intel build at Fry's, and to be honest nothing was going to change my mind ... until I started talking to the various company reps. I talked with people from nearly every single company in attendance, and it's because of events like this that actually got me excited about AMD again, and you know what?

It worked, because once the event was over; I went to Fry's and dropped $1200 on AMD and Corsair hardware. This event worked and I want to thank Kyle and Monte first and foremost for putting on the awesome event, and for the many sponsors. You guys came through big time, and took the time to answer many questions from a "newb" to AMD products. Double thanks need to be given to Gary and JJ from Asus for being so knowledgable about their products, and it was in no small part due to them that I made the platform switch. I don't see Intel stepping up and bringing events like this to gamers. Sure they have their LANs, but they're normally not in my way of attending.

Anyway, I have a rig to go put together.

Michael "mikeohara" O'Hara

Back home in OKC. Had a great time!

HUGE Thank You to all of the sponsors, AMD, Kyle, Monte, and everyone who made this event possible! Well worth the drive down.

Schedule the next one and I'll be there!

Awesome event and good venue. The amount of prizes given out was just amazing. Of my group of 5, 4 got something of SOLID value that will be added to rigs (guess who got left out ;_; ) The BF3 tournament sign-ups went faster than all get-out.

Met a couple people from the community for the first time face-to-face and it was great. Will probably end up seeing more of each other around Dallas. A group of us were so stoked afterwards that we went back to my place and have been gaming until just recently..

Recommendations for improvement next year: Bring the OC (or similar) challenge out more into the spotlight (I was totally oblivious to it) and somehow make it so that more "legit" players get a shot at the tourney.

Too bad you guys don't do these things in the bay area, would love to come to one. Been seeing em fly past me for years :(

yeah i would actually eat my own words that i'd never return to california again just to go if it ended up in the bay area.

ardOCP and AMD!

At the end of the event some of us walked by the tourney area and asked if we could have a set, and the tourney coordinator said "Sure, take one". Got home and used them for the next 4 hours. Absolutely amazing the way the sponsors gave back to the community.

Thanks Kyle and all the incredibly generous sponsors.

Sounds like all of you had a great time. I really hope that more photos and especially videos are posted of that giant screen which I can only assume is being powered by 7970's.

I had a great time, was fun glad everyone could make it. Huge thanks to everyone that made the event this awesome, looking forward to the next one.

I was there from about 10:30 to 3:00, I didnt win anything and was kinda bummed, but then again the stuff they were giving out is slower than what I bought for myself already. :p And now that I'm home I was ready to check out my msi playing cards and free movie screening passes. But my bag got misplaced with some one else's some how and all I have are free pens and twizzler wrappers. :(

Oh well, at least I got to see people drink pickle juice and eat peanut butter

But did you have a good time?

I won a router in the FX overclock competition. Thank you AMD, Kyle, and Asus.

congrats dude!

This has been a great event and I'm exhausted. No wins here it it has still been an awesome event

Thanks! next time bring some friends along.

I was there before you...and after you:):D

Just got home. Left @3am this morn and got there around 9:30. Was a fun event for sure. Looking forward to the next one. Maybe I'll fly next time to avoid the 12 hr drive
I thought I was an early bird!
Some cool stuff I saw there, the new Obsidian 550D, for the guys who wants a nice silent case, been reviewed at CES but always cool to see it in person.

ASUS 7970 Direct CU with twin fans, early march release date, custom PCB and HSF, according to the asus guy at the booth NO COIL squeal due to better chokes and VRM

Wished I could have stayed til the end but driving back late night woulda killed me.
What did they do with all the corsair headsets? Awesome and super comfy btw, so atleast I got to try before I buy!.

Thanks again to [H]ardOCP and AMD!

12 Hour drive, now that's dedication! did you bring some friends along? next time bring friends and split the drive time. Gives me an idea for next time, a prize for whoever drove the longest to get to the event. They gave a 69 year old grandpa gear because he was the oldest...nobody came close. it was funny.

Thanks again for the great event! I had a great time. I'm already looking forward to the next one.

See you there. Stay tuned into the homepage for any announcements and if an announcement comes help spread the word. We should break a 1000 people next time. The more people that come, the more buzz, the more sponsors....more events. :D
DFW is very lucky to have AMD and HardOCP taking care of us and growing our community. Let's return the love.

Had a great time at the event; can't wait to go again next year. It's really a shame the machines running the bf3 tourneys were having so much trouble though.

I apologize for that. We'll try to make sure that doesn't happen again. That made it very difficult for the volunteers running the tourney. The feedback was given. Next go around we'll be better prepared. These machines travel and get more abuse then one that just sits pm a desk. The power issues prevented us from doing some real testing. When I got there 6 machines would trip the breakers and we spent hours trying to just find the power to get them all to run. We did some stability testing but obviously it wasn't enough. We did manage to deal with the heat problem by turning up the fans to 100%. Next time both cpu and GPU fans will be at 100% and hopefully we'll have some extra power strips and the whole amperage power issue handled so it is a smooth event if they use this venue again. It was a learning experience dealing with the power issues for me.

did you do the Dimitry dance?

is [H] going to have more of these events in the future?

if so maybe time for a [H] and amd tech tour if it happens for the love of everything that is holy make them come to chicago damn you all!!!!!!

I hope they take the show on the road to all major US cities. I am sure there is room for community building in all of them.

I just want to extend a huge thanks to Kyle for putting together this event. I had a great time with my friend....second place in bf3 tourney was awesome!

Thanks for bring along your friend and congratulations on placing second.
DICE needs to get their collective head out of their you know what and make BF3 a LAN friendly game.

Hey guys,

That was the GREATEST moment of the day. The other guy had nothing to do with gaming and was the better dancer and nobody cared. They all wanted the real gamer to win. Enjoy your SSD!

That's right, no posers should win over a legit gamer!:D

I just now got home from Dallas. For those of you wondering who the heck I am, I got 3rd place in the OC challenge (I oc'ed on the FX platform) and won a sound card that's going to be used in my new rig. (Also, I heard someone yell out crack kills) :D

I walked in this morning, just waiting to get through the day so I could go buy the parts for my new Intel build at Fry's, and to be honest nothing was going to change my mind ... until I started talking to the various company reps. I talked with people from nearly every single company in attendance, and it's because of events like this that actually got me excited about AMD again, and you know what?

It worked, because once the event was over; I went to Fry's and dropped $1200 on AMD and Corsair hardware. This event worked and I want to thank Kyle and Monte first and foremost for putting on the awesome event, and for the many sponsors. You guys came through big time, and took the time to answer many questions from a "newb" to AMD products. Double thanks need to be given to Gary and JJ from Asus for being so knowledgable about their products, and it was in no small part due to them that I made the platform switch. I don't see Intel stepping up and bringing events like this to gamers. Sure they have their LANs, but they're normally not in my way of attending.

Anyway, I have a rig to go put together.

Michael "mikeohara" O'Hara

Thanks for the support and the feedback dude, good luck on your rig building. Let us know how it performs with some benchies when you get a chance.

Back home in OKC. Had a great time!

HUGE Thank You to all of the sponsors, AMD, Kyle, Monte, and everyone who made this event possible! Well worth the drive down.

Schedule the next one and I'll be there!

Watch that homepage...HardOCP should be check everyday...you never know what will pop up. I have it on my Firefox Morning Coffee app.

Awesome event and good venue. The amount of prizes given out was just amazing. Of my group of 5, 4 got something of SOLID value that will be added to rigs (guess who got left out ;_; ) The BF3 tournament sign-ups went faster than all get-out.

Met a couple people from the community for the first time face-to-face and it was great. Will probably end up seeing more of each other around Dallas. A group of us were so stoked afterwards that we went back to my place and have been gaming until just recently..

Recommendations for improvement next year: Bring the OC (or similar) challenge out more into the spotlight (I was totally oblivious to it) and somehow make it so that more "legit" players get a shot at the tourney.

Thanks for the feedback.
What do you mean by "legit"? We had some good players in there:)

At the end of the event some of us walked by the tourney area and asked if we could have a set, and the tourney coordinator said "Sure, take one". Got home and used them for the next 4 hours. Absolutely amazing the way the sponsors gave back to the community.

Thanks Kyle and all the incredibly generous sponsors.

Corsair makes awesome gear, you can't go wrong. They really hooked it up by not just sending any headsets but actually sending their latest and greatest.

FYI, due to time constraints we couldn't enable surround sound 7.1 on them...too many other things going on. Download the Corsair driver from their site to enable Surround Sound and report back!!

I had a great time, was fun glad everyone could make it. Huge thanks to everyone that made the event this awesome, looking forward to the next one.

me too!!!
make sure to spread the wor and bring some friends next time!

Sounds like all of you had a great time. I really hope that more photos and especially videos are posted of that giant screen which I can only assume is being powered by 7970's.

There should be tons of stuff posted. The photographer duo used for the last event was there. keep your eyes on the HardOCP homepage.

Thanks to all who made it, anyone who helped out, anyone who helped spread the word and convinced their lazy friends to get out of the house to have a good time.

Let's keep making it bigger and making it better. :D

^ Holy batman mega reply!

I had a good time yesterday, despite being a loser (i.e., not winning anything). :p Thanks to Kyle and his staff, AMD, and all of the other sponsors for putting on a hell of an event that wasn't just informative but also entertaining. (Although I will surely have nightmares about grown men eating pickles, bananas, and French bread). :D

I was there from about 11:30 to 4:30. I would've stayed 'til the 5 pm grand prizes, but I need to catch the train back to FW. :eek: Hope AMD and [H] can do this again soon, like in the summer. Great venue! Definitely better than the Deep Ellum location. :)

Congrats to all who won something! :cool:

Oh man, this was so worth the drive from Central Texas!

I had a great time yesterday talking with all of the sponsors, getting to check out all of the hardware, watching contestants chug beer, then peanut butter, THEN pickle juice, and all the other fun contests (musical chairs was a great idea), and being lucky enough to win something in the raffle (an ASUS Vulcan headset)!

You guys really know how to put together an event, there wasn't a moment that I was there from being in the doors at about 10:30 to leaving at 18:15 that I didn't feel wholly engaged in what was going on.

It was great to put some faces to some names.

Big thanks to Kyle, Terry, AMD, and all the sponsors that made it all possible.

I cannot wait to do it again!

Great event! I only made off with a game, no hardware, but I still had a great time. I think this event has some legs and I would love to see it turn into a weekend event with a BYOC one day (if the powers that be would have it). I think the sheer amount of giveaways, breakout sessions, and all of the vendor booths could be enough content for more than a day. Really felt like there was alot going on the whole day.

FWIW: Gigabyte and Corsair had the best give away competitions besides the regular old drawings... more of that in the future! I *really* wish I had gotten up for the first Corsiar question...
IMG_2073.JPG

https://plus.google.com/photos/1115...ms/5700568798308237985?authkey=CNGMldvYtqT4Jg

What do you mean by "legit"? We had some good players in there:)

I knew that would garner some flak :p

Didn't really mean too much by it, hence the quotation marks. It did look like there were some solid players, definitely dedicated since they were all there very early (I pulled into the parking lot at 10am but didn't get to get into the tourney) I just think there should be some kind of selection process other than first come first serve.

Small gripe, had a ton of fun regardless.

I had such a great time at the convention. I was the guy that won the pickle eating conest. Then I won Asus's overclocking competion on the 990fx/fx8150 system. I gave away the motherboard I won from the pickle eating to a friend of mine who's just getting in to building a pc and pc gaming in general figured it'd be a great way to get him started. The monitor I'm totally keeping for me. But I just wanted to get on here to thank Kyle and the guys from [H]ardOCP and all the vendors who showed up. This was my first time attending a [H]ardOCP event, and I must say it was a blast! Lots of great conversations with a few of the product engineers from the vendors, and loads of other gamers. A BIG shout out to the guys from ASUS. They gave me a few tips after the overclocking stuff to get my rig at home rocking faces off. I already had an 990fx sabertooth and an AMD FX 8120. With the tricks and tips I learned from ASUS I was able to get my overclock from 3.9 ghz to 4.5ghz stable.

This was the first hardware/gaming event I have ever gone to and it was a great experience. Admittedly I didn't know all the things going on, I think flyers would have been handy explaining what each company was doing, such as what types of contests were running (not many seemed to know about ASUS's OC competition, seeing as how they didn't even have 3 people compete on the Llano system overclock). Overall though it was an absolute blast, I got a free processor that I'm tossing to a buddy who's getting started on his first build. Can't wait for more of these events! Thanks to all the guys here that made it possible.

Hey guys,

anyone know where you're supposed to tag yourself for a free code from AMD?

I had a great time! It seems a lot bigger than last time, with much more stuff to check out, which was awesome. I really liked maingear's stuff, the way they designed their systems seemed very thought out.

The only thing I liked better at the last event was the raffle system. At the previous event, each raffle tickets were drawn the same pot, instead of each vendor doing their own. I liked it better because more people ended up with stuff instead of a lot of people walking away empty handed while some people carry off a huge haul.

I really like the direction that the event is heading, I can't wait for the next one :D

Took home a few prizes, corsair 600T and a seasonic x-750 PS. Couldn't be happier. I was at the July event and this one was hands down even better. I hope it continues bi yearly but hell I'll take what I can get. Thanks Kyle, Monte, all you [H]ard bastards for making this a baddass event.

The BF3 tourney was a bit ROUGH in terms of being squared away but heck not everything can be perfect.

Btw, does anyone have any more information on the maingear t1000 stuff? I'm reading a little about it online, but I don't see where I can get it for my am3+ setup. Seems like a bit of work, but should be worth it if it does what it says it will.

Back