It's launch time!

I know I'm usually one of the much maligned Apple lovers on this board, but once again, I'm disappointed by what Apple showed here today (the 4S was the other big disappointment)....

It seems like Apple is running out of ideas, sure a bigger screen was sorely needed, but I just expected more.....

I'm shorting Apple stock, fuck what the analysts think.....

I know I'm usually one of the much maligned Apple lovers on this board, but once again, I'm disappointed by what Apple showed here today (the 4S was the other big disappointment)....

It seems like Apple is running out of ideas, sure a bigger screen was sorely needed, but I just expected more.....

I think it will sell, and sell very well. Apple will probably wind up selling more units of the iPhone 5 than any previous versions.

I just don't think it's an enthusiasts phone.

Luckily for them, tech enthusiasts don't make up their core market.

I learnt that doesn't work :mad: Sold my Apple stock a while ago and wish I hadn't.

how many loyal apple fans are disappointed with the iphone 5?

A little disappointing for sure.

Android fans will tell you that their phones are 'better' and I believe this is true on paper. However, if most everyone you know has iPhone it's tough to switch because the common user experience and compatibility outweighs alot. That's why I have not yet made the switch.

Phil Schiller has had his head up Apple's ass for too long... how could anyone say this with a straight face or take it seriously. The market has absolutely FLOWN by Apple when it comes to innovation in smartphones.

Unveiling the iPhone 5... (funny Engadget quote)

"It's unlike anything we or anyone else in our industry has made before" says Schiller except for maybe the last two iPhones.

Here's another great quote from Johhny Ive:

He's talking about the phone has been "completely redesigned," which is a very loose definition of either "completely" or "redesigned".

Not to mention the screen size adds virtually NOTHING to the new iPhone. Think about it, if you have NO widgets then what is the point? You can view a couple more emails, and have some more space to doodle on Draw with Friends. It's nice to have the screen real estate for watching videos but that's about it.

Bottom line: the iPhone 5 is incredibly UNDERwhelming. Can't wait to get my Galaxy S3.

Last edited:
I learnt that doesn't work :mad: Sold my Apple stock a while ago and wish I hadn't.

:D I did kinda stick my neck out with that line didn't I ...

I still stand by it, if I don't outright short it, I'll straddle with a very high strike price for the call

ew iPhone. Think about it, if you have NO widgets then what is the point? You can view a couple more emails, and have some more space to doodle on Draw with Friends. It's nice to have the screen real estate for watching videos but that's about it.

To me, the biggest benefit of the larger screen coming from my iPhone 4 to my Galaxy S3 was having a larger web browser window.

Going back the iPhone seems very cramped.

Zarathustra[H];1039132546 said:
I think it will sell, and sell very well. Apple will probably wind up selling more units of the iPhone 5 than any previous versions.

im not so sure about that.

i know 2 extremely loyal apple lovers that are disappointed and not sure if they will upgrade, while a bunch of other former long time iphone users (not loyalists) that have already defected in the past couple of months to android based on the leaked specs.

I was hoping for a slightly bigger screen but other than that I am pretty happy. There isn't much that can be done to improve phones these days. I am not sure what people are expecting but until there are things like holographic displays then we are going to just get incremental updates from both Apple and Android suppliers.

Zarathustra[H];1039132546 said:

Tech enthusiasts don't make up any phone's core market.

The iPhone has become the Big Mac of smartphones.

McDonald's sells the most hamburgers in the world, does it mean the Big Mac is the best burger ? Hell no, it's just something that everyone can eat, and does the job, nothing special whatsoever.

I prefer organic buffalo burgers, like my HTC One X rooted and running CM10 :D Not as a big a seller like the Big Mac, but much much better.

Samsung, HTC, going through with plans to sue Apple for LTE
http://phandroid.com/2012/09/12/sam...oing-through-with-plans-to-sue-apple-for-lte/

LOL, go get em guys.

Samsung said they had plans to file a lawsuit to block Apple’s iPhone 5 if it were to launch with 4G LTE radios. HTC is also said to be filing their initial paper work to sue Apple for the use of LTE in the iPhone 5.
Not sure if this will stick honestly...then again, I don't know exactly what Samsung and HTC patented. But Apple made a single chip that handles all of the radios. I believe most modern phones use separate chips for each radio. So, you could argue that Apple came up with a new "design" and therefore, different patent set.

But I'm no expert

Not sure if this will stick honestly...then again, I don't know exactly what Samsung and HTC patented. But Apple made a single chip that handles all of the radios. I believe most modern phones use separate chips for each radio. So, you could argue that Apple came up with a new "design" and therefore, different patent set.

But I'm no expert

IIRC samsung and HTC hold some key LTE patents which Apple is not licensing from them.

Why hasn't Samsung already sued Apple for the new iPad that has been using LTE for the last 8 months?

Samsung, HTC, going through with plans to sue Apple for LTE
http://phandroid.com/2012/09/12/sam...oing-through-with-plans-to-sue-apple-for-lte/

LOL, go get em guys.

Samsung said they had plans to file a lawsuit to block Apple’s iPhone 5 if it were to launch with 4G LTE radios. HTC is also said to be filing their initial paper work to sue Apple for the use of LTE in the iPhone 5.

Yea, it's so awesome when there's bullshit lawsuits that inhibit creativity. Not sure how you can be against Apple's bullshit and for Samsung or HTCs.

The iPhone has become the Big Mac of smartphones.

McDonald's sells the most hamburgers in the world, does it mean the Big Mac is the best burger ? Hell no, it's just something that everyone can eat, and does the job, nothing special whatsoever.

I prefer organic buffalo burgers, like my HTC One X rooted and running CM10 :D Not as a big a seller like the Big Mac, but much much better.

Actually, Android is the Big Mac when looking at market share.

The power of the RDF is amazing - watch as the iPhone 5 will sell millions and set new records. It doesn't matter how crap Apple products are, they always sell!

Yeah. Except they don't make crap products.

I happen to think the iPhone 5 is really nice. Looks really sleek. The build quality looks top notch, better battery life, bigger screen, very fast CPU, better cameras, LTE. There's not much else they could've done instead of making the screen even bigger, adding NFC, or adding silly widgets. NFC - I don't care about it. Making the screen bigger than 4 inches, maybe. But then it would have fallen a little out of popularity with all the females if they made the screen so much bigger.

Disappointing. Nothing major for me to get back to apple. I got a nexus this summer after owning iphones for the last 5 years. (3g,3gs,4).
The hardware looks dam sexy but i was hoping more from ios6...

Actually, Android is the Big Mac when looking at market share.

I didn't know Android had a single phone lineup. If you want to make a comparison, it would be better to use the $1 menu maybe if you want to start a flame war while still keeping something that makes sense. (Lots of cheap Androids and get the job done, but still not fair since some of them are much better and probably would be more expensive if put in a McDonalds example)

Phil Schiller has had his head up Apple's ass for too long... how could anyone say this with a straight face or take it seriously. The market has absolutely FLOWN by Apple when it comes to innovation in smartphones.

Unveiling the iPhone 5... (funny Engadget quote)

"It's unlike anything we or anyone else in our industry has made before" says Schiller except for maybe the last two iPhones.

Here's another great quote from Johhny Ive:

He's talking about the phone has been "completely redesigned," which is a very loose definition of either "completely" or "redesigned".

Not to mention the screen size adds virtually NOTHING to the new iPhone. Think about it, if you have NO widgets then what is the point? You can view a couple more emails, and have some more space to doodle on Draw with Friends. It's nice to have the screen real estate for watching videos but that's about it.

Bottom line: the iPhone 5 is incredibly UNDERwhelming. Can't wait to get my Galaxy S3.
Hah! Thanks for that, now I can sleep happily.

Well i can say this with certainty, i wont be going back to apple until they take over the world (which will prob happen soon anyways)

Phone is still too small, needs a proprietary cable, everyone need to buy the $50 adapter to be able to use all their old idevices. Android has had 8mp for a while now with panoramic. Battery life is great with the new android devices. Android has more features hands down.

About the thinness claim - the RAZR, the Ascend, and other phones have camera humps that are significantly thicker than 7.6mm (I think 9 or 10mm for the RAZR). The iPhone 5 is 7.6mm all the way through.

Well i can say this with certainty, i wont be going back to apple until they take over the world (which will prob happen soon anyways)

Phone is still too small, needs a proprietary cable, everyone need to buy the $50 adapter to be able to use all their old idevices. Android has had 8mp for a while now with panoramic. Battery life is great with the new android devices. Android has more features hands down.

Where did you see the adapter is $50?

About the thinness claim - the RAZR, the Ascend, and other phones have camera humps that are significantly thicker than 7.6mm (I think 9 or 10mm for the RAZR). The iPhone 5 is 7.6mm all the way through.
I'm sure thats how they're supporting that claim

I'm sure monoprice will have one for $3 in a week.

Well, that was profoundly disappointing. Also, pretty much what I expected. I see the word "underwhelmed" above. I'd go further. Antiwhelmed. At this point, I'm actively unhappy with how little has been brought to the table.

I guess it's up to Samsung and other Android manufacturers to continue to bring forth and implement new features.

(Verizon Galaxy S3 owner; rooted, CyanogenMod 10 nightly installed on my personal phone. AT&T iPhone 4G for my work phone)

Funny, a pic from N9 in the verge comments;

tumblr_ma90r4gmMi1qzptwgo1_r2_500.png

tumblr_ma90r4gmMi1qzptwgo2_500.gif

Funny, a pic from N9 in the verge comments;

tumblr_ma90r4gmMi1qzptwgo1_r2_500.png

tumblr_ma90r4gmMi1qzptwgo2_500.gif

I immediately thought of this when I saw it!

For me, I'm an iPhone guy, so I will be snapping this up ASAP. All I really wanted was an iPhone with better internals and LTE and that's what im getting. I've played around with android enough to know its really not my cup of tea, but I don't deny the feature claims here.

Hey, you guys who are saying "I'm disappointed", what features were you hoping for in the new iPhone? I'm just curious.

The only thing I must give kudos to Apple on is the new connector. Not the fact that they nuked their entire accessory line, but the fact that it is reversible.

I'm quite frankly astonished it took this long for someone to do it --- the first thing I said when I saw PCIe was "Why doesn't USB work like this?"

Last edited:
Hey, you guys who are saying "I'm disappointed", what features were you hoping for in the new iPhone? I'm just curious.

Nothing, to be honest. I got exactly what little I expected. I don't foresee Apple changing what is "working" for them...even if it means that they've brought less progress to their UI than Blackberry has in the past 4 years.

Am kind of surprised to see iOS6 artificially obsoleting the original iPad. I've got some coworkers that won't be happy about that. I mean, it's one thing when an Android device stagnates and never gets the upgrade it should...but it's another when the device is specifically skipped in favor of older devices (3GS)

Am kind of surprised to see iOS6 artificially obsoleting the original iPad.

how could this come as a surprise? it's too old to been seen with an apple logo at this point. it hasn't been updated just once, its been updated twice. you need to get caught up and joint he cool kids with the current generation of product.

don't worry my Core 2 Duo macbook is too old for moutain lion ;) never mind the equally old (and spec'd) toshiba at work is running windows 8 better than it did windows 7.

For a company that constantly self-fellatiates I was expecting *something* that was different from what everyone else does. And the keynote was a total joke, which The Verge and Engadget kept picking up on. Stuff like "Anyone can make a bigger phone." followed by introducing the slightly bigger iPhone. Or spending 5 minutes talking about the benefits of a bigger screen. Surprise, you can see more! Except for all the apps you currently have, those will be letterboxed because our APIs were unable to handle fragmentation.

It's certainly doesn't look bad - looks like quite a nice device - but for an "innovative" company they sure didn't do jack shit in the "innovative" area. Maybe the device is better than they managed to express in the keynote, we'll see.

Someone from another forum nailed it pretty well:

-A phone manufactured by Nokia
- but w/google
- Running a hybrid project of windows8 w/ android 4.xx
- Moving wallpapers
- True multitasking, but without the caveats of bad battery
- Widgets that are livetiles
- 9.2 inch LED-AMOLED-IPS-144HZ display
- Processor slower than an a6 (dual-core cortex a-15) (which IS the fastest mobile platform nerds)
- Plastic build quality
- Heavier weight
- Image stabilization (for all your bicycle photos)
- No apple logo on product
- Neckbeard trimmer
- NFC
- 11,000 mAh battery
- Expandable memory (but its okay if its not)
- NOT iOS6
- Something about open ecosystem, unless its windows.

And FWIW, the nerd rage is hilarious. They get all that battery life with LTE in a lighter/thinner chassis, along with performance that doubles that of the iPhone 4S (which itself was faster than the majority of phones even a year later).

Apple beats Samsung and TI to the punch with an A15, fanboys wonder "whats the big deal?". Nothing will impress them. I do know that they'd be creaming themselves if there wasn't an Apple logo on it. Can't wait to see Anandtech's benchmarks next week.

So:

"The iPhone is so tiny, I need at least a 4 inch screen, that's basic."
"Oh wait, they added a bigger screen? Why? Meh."

"How come this slab smartphone isn't revolutionary? It's just a slab."

"I'm disappointed by the lack of features that didn't get leaked three months ago."

"But the Droid Razr is... forget the hump... it's thinner."

"I know that LTE hasn't rolled out in my city yet, but they were really behind the curve on this."

"Patents."

Back