It's launch time!

When other company gives you disaplay that you can use with gloves, ois, wireless charging, nfc... and so on to show something like this then... yeah, it's understandable that people are underwhelmed. Battery life is noticeably worse than on competitors.

obviously apple should have just scrapped everything and made their phone even bigger, put a stylus on it, and made it out of shitty shiny plastic.

And FWIW, the nerd rage is hilarious. They get all that battery life with LTE in a lighter/thinner chassis, along with performance that doubles that of the iPhone 4S (which itself was faster than the majority of phones even a year later).

Apple beats Samsung and TI to the punch with an A15, fanboys wonder "whats the big deal?". Nothing will impress them. I do know that they'd be creaming themselves if there wasn't an Apple logo on it. Can't wait to see Anandtech's benchmarks next week.

I wouldn't be so sure that the A6 is A15 based. It is very possible that the A6 is just a quad-core A9 A5x.

A5 (45nm) 122.2 mm^2
A5 (32nm) 69.6 mm^2
A5x (45nm) 165 mm^2
A5x (32nm?) 90 mm^2 (45nm -> 32nm should approach 50% as size of die increase. Thus it should be a bit smaller % vs A5 45nm -> 32nm shrink)
A6 (32nm?) 95 or 100 mm^2 ? (22% shrink from A5 so either 122*0.78 or 122/1.22. Apple is a marketing master so my bet is the later at 100mm^2)

On the A5x (45nm), the duo-core A9 is around 18 mm^2 (visually calculated from images of the A5x where the CPU is around 11% of the ship). A 32nm duo-core A9 should around 10 mm^2 (seems about right with cross check of calculating A5 32nm duo-core A9 visually).

90 mm^2 + 10 mm^2 = (122.2 mm^2/1.22)

Thus one can reasonably expect a quad-core A9 A5x 32nm to be around 100 mm^2. (I'm sure their chip designers can shave off a few mm^2 from a new layout). This would fit perfectly with Apple's claims of 2x CPU, 2x GPU, and 22% shrink.

Thus I'm still not convinced that the A6 is A15 until I see a picture of the chip.

Anyways, A15 is roughly 40% faster than the A9. Thus for a 2.1x speed up Apple will have to clock the A15 at around 1.2GHz (I'm assuming iphone A5 was running at 800MHz)

Last edited:
What's up with Apple not listing the specs of their new phones ? Like basic stuff, how much RAM...Processor details...specific radios...etc...

Why is Apple so top secret about that ? New Android and Windows phones have their specs all over the place, directly from the manufacturere.

What's up with Apple not listing the specs of their new phones ? Like basic stuff, how much RAM...Processor details...specific radios...etc...

Why is Apple so top secret about that ? New Android and Windows phones have their specs all over the place, directly from the manufacturere.

Because that shit doesn't matter to 99% of their customers.

I was thinking of getting iPhone... wnated to have something that could use iCloud with my iPad. But I'm on the fence with IP5... I do think that Apple is doing now Nokia style - running on rumors and marketing, instead of making great devices. There is really nothing spectacular inside, nothing that 4S would not have.

Also the design is kinda meh, I was hoping that one of those leaked pictures of being something "wow" will be true, but it's just 4S being stretched :)

Well, I've time till may before contract ends, so I'll see what I'll be getting that time. I'm slowly leaning towards Ativ S, but I want to see how Windows Phone 8 fares.

when the majority of the world only cares about how cool they look, and posting pictures of their dog or their boyfriend on facebook -- why would you need anything more than an iPhone.

Seriously -- what iphone user is going to want to be able to remote desktop with ease into a multitude of machines via VNC. Or have full control of the file system and aspects of the OS? When the best quantifiable words you have for your product are "Magical" and "mega awesome laser fast feeling" who really cares about anything else?

At the end of the day there is no other place the iphone could have originated except the US - a phone that doesn't really do all that much, costs a crap ton of money, and thinks it's the best thing since sliced bread? You just described 99% of the united states population.

What I'm really waiting for is the smug to hit critical mass to the point where everyone starts spouting (and believing) that Apple actually did come up with the "original" idea of having a phone with a 4" display. Tim cook could take a dump in a box and as long as it had the apple logo on it and was polished up all nice and shiny people would line up around the block. If that doesn't say something about your customer base, I don't know what does.

when the majority of the world only cares about how cool they look, and posting pictures of their dog or their boyfriend on facebook -- why would you need anything more than an iPhone.

Seriously -- what iphone user is going to want to be able to remote desktop with ease into a multitude of machines via VNC. Or have full control of the file system and aspects of the OS? When the best quantifiable words you have for your product are "Magical" and "mega awesome laser fast feeling" who really cares about anything else?

At the end of the day there is no other place the iphone could have originated except the US - a phone that doesn't really do all that much, costs a crap ton of money, and thinks it's the best thing since sliced bread? You just described 99% of the united states population.

What I'm really waiting for is the smug to hit critical mass to the point where everyone starts spouting (and believing) that Apple actually did come up with the "original" idea of having a phone with a 4" display. Tim cook could take a dump in a box and as long as it had the apple logo on it and was polished up all nice and shiny people would line up around the block. If that doesn't say something about your customer base, I don't know what does.

You're really pointing to other people as being smug after posting this? Congrats at being the Android version of the mindless <insert phone of choice here> fanboy.

Also, I've been using remote desktop for a while now on iOS so I'm not even sure what you're bitching about.

I have to say I'm overly disappointed with the introduction of the iPhone 5. I kind of expected some breakout feature to separate it from the rest but instead the entire phone is playing "Catch Up" with what Android phones have had for years now.

I was a heavy iPhone 4 user and I enjoyed the hell out of it but the iPhone 4 was a real leap from the iPhone 3S in many ways. I know it'll sell probably pretty well but if Apple doesn't consider actually innovating next time around people won't be as drawn to the product line as they use to. Also I don't like the fact that they are changing cables , there is no reason to other than to milk more money. The current cable standard is perfectly fine for what we need and now I gotta buy a new $30-50 cable (don't remember the exact price) and the adapter to use it with all of my iPhone friendly gear? Disappointing.

I think 95% of Android users aren't going to be using remote desktop or care to have full control of the file system either. They're average people doing the same things as people on the iPhone - posting pictures of their dog on Facebook and that kind of thing.

How has no one commented on the fact that they combined the LCD and the Digitizer?

This does three things:
Reduces the distance from your finger to where you're touching.
Reduces or eliminates the glare and reflection between the two surfaces.
Raises the cost of replacement panels due to the fact that if you break the glass, you break the LCD. (obviously, this last one is a downside)

Its actually something I thought was an obvious idea years ago when I had my Samsung Instinct. Why was Apple the first to do it?

LG's new phone (forgot the name) had in-cell touch first, and it was announced somewhat before the iPhone. It's their technology; Apple uses their displays.

How has no one commented on the fact that they combined the LCD and the Digitizer?

This does three things:
Raises the cost of replacement panels due to the fact that if you break the glass, you break the LCD. (obviously, this last one is a downside)

Its actually something I thought was an obvious idea years ago when I had my Samsung Instinct. Why was Apple the first to do it?

Because functionally it's little value added. How many average Joes do you think would've been raving about the "retina" screen if it hadn't been a marketing point?

Because functionally it's little value added. How many average Joes do you think would've been raving about the "retina" screen if it hadn't been a marketing point?

I loved when they announced higher resolution for the iphone! lol

lol who is this moron.... never noticed him before this week

This does three things:

Apple was not the first to do it. They don't even make the tech.

Looks like you can't talk and use data at the same time on the LTE iPhones on CDMA networks...no word on GSM:

http://gizmodo.com/5943152/verizons...et-you-talk-and-surf-the-web-at-the-same-time

So much for this "amazing" new chip

It's possible on GSM. This is a current problem with the CDMA iPhone anyway. Since there's no VoLTE, you have to fall back to the 3G network, which in VZW's case is EV-DO which does not support multi radio bearers like UMTS does.

Once VoLTE is live (within the next year), you SHOULD be able to do data + voice since LTE supports 8 or 9 data radio bearers.

LOL

253058_221731524622761_778346109_n.jpg

2h7jgio.png

Ah yes, yet another Android fanboy talking about how resolution doesn't matter (when Apple does it first).

It's possible on GSM. This is a current problem with the CDMA iPhone anyway. Since there's no VoLTE, you have to fall back to the 3G network, which in VZW's case is EV-DO which does not support multi radio bearers like UMTS does.

Once VoLTE is live (within the next year), you SHOULD be able to do data + voice since LTE supports 8 or 9 data radio bearers.

I can use voice and data simultaneously on my Verizon Gnex when I have a 4G/LTE connection. I don't see why any other 4G phone would be any different in this regard. I know while on 3G/1X though, you don't have data while on a phone call.

Ah yes, yet another Android fanboy talking about how resolution doesn't matter (when Apple does it first).

Um... where did I show any bias? You might try looking into the context of my post and to what I was replying to...

refraxion said:
I loved when they announced higher resolution for the iphone! lol

Me too (contrary to what obs mis-read above). My point still stands though, if people on the street now think a 4S is the new 5, they certainly wouldn't have noticed the increased resolution of the "retina" screen had nobody told them it was a big feature, and they certainly won't notice any difference now that the screen thickness has been shrunk. Even now that the phone can display the full sRGB space it won't matter since they'll all over saturate their phones' colors and jack the brightness way up. I certainly applaud these improvements, but that is my explanation as to why it hasn't been a priority in the past.

Me too (contrary to what obs mis-read above). My point still stands though, if people on the street now think a 4S is the new 5, they certainly wouldn't have noticed the increased resolution of the "retina" screen had nobody told them it was a big feature, and they certainly won't notice any difference now that the screen thickness has been shrunk. Even now that the phone can display the full sRGB space it won't matter since they'll all over saturate their phones' colors and jack the brightness way up. I certainly applaud these improvements, but that is my explanation as to why it hasn't been a priority in the past.

You telling me no one would have noticed a 160 dpi next to a 320 dpi display when they're sitting in a store next to each other? Yea, actually I think they would.

Will they notice the thickness? Probably not a ton but it's more difficult to note 0.07in than it is 2x the resolution.

You telling me no one would have noticed a 160 dpi next to a 320 dpi display when they're sitting in a store next to each other? Yea, actually I think they would.

Will they notice the thickness? Probably not a ton but it's more difficult to note 0.07in than it is 2x the resolution.

Last I checked iPhone4/s both have 320ppi. Where is this random 160 coming from?

The 3GS? You were criticizing the Retina display for adding little value?

For me I think the iPhone 5 is awesome. It gives me absolutely no reason to consider upgrading from my 4s. In one year I will be able to upgrade again and I may go android. I like the 4s a lot, don&#8217;t get me wrong.

Oh and Engadget cracks me up.

If they think one 3.5" screen looks bigger than an identical 3.5" screen right next to it, then no, I don't think they'd notice a resolution increase. These same people are the ones that think a 720p TV has a higher resolution than any computer monitor simply because it's a larger screen. You give the common man more credit than they deserve. Do note, that if someone is in this discussion, they aren't the common man.

Pylon said:
The 3GS? You were criticizing the Retina display for adding little value?

Nobody criticized the "retina" display for little value added. Merging the LCD and digitizer is what I said was little value added to the consumer.

Back