IT Resume Thread

Here is my resume. I've recently added to it, re-formatted, and tweaked it up. Please feel free to leave comments on the google doc itself. Should be open to the world. Thanks in advance.

My Resume

Here is my resume. I've recently added to it, re-formatted, and tweaked it up. Please feel free to leave comments on the google doc itself. Should be open to the world. Thanks in advance.

My Resume

You say "scaling from" but don't say what you scale to, or through. Reads as a sentence fragment.

You switch from present tense ("provide", "design, implement, maintain") to past tense ("configured", "deployed", "designed").

No need to include duration of the engagement; it's always going to be out of date. (And already is.)

Something seems wrong with your resume because you claim "key skills" that aren't reflected in your previous positions. For example, how did you develop "Exceptional understanding of PCI DSS compliance" when none of your positions even mention it?

I like the descriptions of your positions; they explain scope and breadth.

Something seems wrong with your resume because you claim "key skills" that aren't reflected in your previous positions. For example, how did you develop "Exceptional understanding of PCI DSS compliance" when none of your positions even mention it?

Thanks Mike for catching that seriously grievous error. I have alot of ad-hoc responsibilities that include working with our PCI firewall, auditing, etc... not to mention I studied it for my BA degree... but how is someone reading that supposed to know those correlations? And thank you for everything else you mentioned. I'll get to modifying with your suggestions right away.

Hello Folks, I'm a recent graduate looking for my first job. Just made my resume any suggestions are welcome. Thanks

Link

Last edited:
As a general comment to some of the more recent resumes posted here:

1. Please read through at least the last few pages of this thread. I know it is a lot to digest but we have been repeating ourselves over the long life of this thread many times and it would save us a lot of work.

2. Don't bother with a Google Docs link. Many of us don't have a google account and can't view your document there. More importantly, formatting really isn't that important to a resume anyways. The content matters most. Sure, you can make the titles bold and a little larger but agonizing over the font and margin sizes is just not as significant as some may think. Better just to copy and paste the text into a post here so we can all see what you have right away (and some are reading this thread on a smart phone too).

Somebody called me up, had a long chat and asked me to send my CV to him. I told him I have not updated it in 7 years, but promised to send it during the weekend...

So I have a bit of a dilemma, I don't especially like what I had written up 7 years ago and I've done so many things since then that even if I try to limit it to very broad things like "designed and implemented VmWare Infrastructure environment" it will end up several pages long (also the last 5 1/2 years has seen information security, risk management, software development etc).

I know he'll be reading it through, so I probably don't have to be so concerned about it being passed over, but I'm wondering what kind of format I should be using when somebody actually asked me to send it over instead of me applying for a position? Should I spend a lot of time polishing a summary or concentrate on getting the most important general responsibilities and achievements down?

edit:
Also, I was in College abroad about 15 years ago but did not finnish it as I lost interest on the subject after about 50 credits where done (Business). I was later studying computer science on the side while working (studying evenings and nights) but after getting kids it just got a bit too much so while I'm still enrolled I have not taken a course in a few years (I still do plan on finishing it as I got quite far). On the CV having too higher educations started but not finished looks pretty bad, should I leave out the older one so that the one which is left is at least kind of current?

Somebody called me up, had a long chat and asked me to send my CV to him. I told him I have not updated it in 7 years, but promised to send it during the weekend...

So I have a bit of a dilemma, I don't especially like what I had written up 7 years ago and I've done so many things since then that even if I try to limit it to very broad things like "designed and implemented VmWare Infrastructure environment" it will end up several pages long (also the last 5 1/2 years has seen information security, risk management, software development etc).

I know he'll be reading it through, so I probably don't have to be so concerned about it being passed over, but I'm wondering what kind of format I should be using when somebody actually asked me to send it over instead of me applying for a position? Should I spend a lot of time polishing a summary or concentrate on getting the most important general responsibilities and achievements down?

I struggle with this same dilemma when my resume comes up too. You'll want to have your resume just as polished for that reviewer as with any other reviewer you've never talked too. You might want to tweak it a little to target specifics for that job but don't create pages & pages. I think a number of recruiters have said sum up the past 7 years that should be enough if you've got a lot of detail or history that pushes the resume out past 2 pages.

Is there a job postings thread? My work has a tier 3 position open (Network Engineer III) I am sure the pay is roughly 60+k a year.....you won't be an actual admin over anything....unless you're deemed better than what we already have.

We're hiring for all positions, too, but I've been told there's no appropriate place for help wanted posts. If you hear differently, please let me know.

I struggle with this same dilemma when my resume comes up too. You'll want to have your resume just as polished for that reviewer as with any other reviewer you've never talked too.

It's important to keep your resume up to date incrementally. It's lots easier to make additions and changes every once in a while than to go back and fix seven years of the past.

I'm working on cleaning up the work history portions of my resume. I don't need a new job and I'm not looking for one now either, but being prepared never hurts.

My current position is where I'm having trouble (formatting is largely broken by the code block, but I'm worried about the content mostly).

Code:
Senior Operations Analyst -COMPANY NAME HERE, Pittsburgh, PA October 2010 – present.
	Load data files via command line scripts into various customer database schemas.
	Write wrapper shell scripts to manage data loading, file retrieval, pre-processing, and logging.
	Developed various shell functions to streamline previously manual tasks. These optimizations save over $20,000 each year in analyst's time.
	Self-started and continue to manage operations documentation initiative.
	Provide technical advice to development and implementation teams with regards to the usage and deployment of operations tasks.
     Manage Operations team's special projects.
	Conceived and implemented self service web applications project. Resulted in saving various groups many hours/days worth of time for each task. 
Coded in PHP using Apache and MySQL. This reduces the operations ticket load by %40, provides real time research capability for external groups.
	Train new hires, contractors and offshore users & act as a technical resource for scripting, regex and PRODUCT linux environments.
	Primary Technologies: Linux/Unix Shell Scripting,  command line utilities, SSH, SFTP, JIRA, Remedy, SQL, Autosys, cron.

I know my wording is poor in some points. Any suggestions?

Here's mine.

I'm pretty sure there's many ways it could improve. I need to mention that I worked for 3 months in summer programming as a freelancer - but apart from that I still think it's missing something.

Looks pretty good but I'm no expert. Could it be formatted a bit better?
You can't be serious. This thread beats it in to your head (but apparently not yours) that it's not about formatting here, it's about content review.

I think that document just got messed up because of Google Docs not because that's how he formatted.

There's formatting you shouldn't be wasting your time with, paper and font selection.. but make sure weird spacing and bulletpoint issues aren't there. Plenty of people receive Word documents and PDFs it's not all put into one of those HR management systems.

But yes Glyphic your resume is in pretty good condition. See if anyone else pipes up..

But yes Glyphic your resume is in pretty good condition. See if anyone else pipes up..
Actually, because of the formatting, I didn't spend much time reading it.

There are several grammatical errors. The most frequent is using a comma before and in two item list, such as "Diagnosing syntax, and other issues" or "Setup, and maintenance".

You use verb tenses inconsistently; the above example also demonstrates that. "Diagnosing" is infinitive, "setup" is imperative. (If I have it right. Point is, you should use the same throughout.)

The biggest issue to me is that you're in-specific. For example, this bullet: "Provide remote and phone support for Doctors, Nurses and other office staff using the e-MDs EMR software suite." doesn't tell me if you actually did the support, or contracted someone to do the support. Or worked in a group that did the support together. I don't know what kind of issues you were working, or what your expertise is, or how busy you were. What were you challenges and how good were you at addressing them? Would your success there map to success in my organization, if I hired you?

You should re-read your resume carefully for grammar. You should also re-read it pretending you don't know yourself. Would you think that someone who didn't know you had a better understanding of your skills? Would you be compelled to make yourself an offer?

It seems like anyone with a resume should do these things before giving their resume to anyone else -- even for review by peers.

Let me try mine again (not linked to Google Docs). I'll bet it looking the best I can given the constraints of the forums.

Objective
To obtain a position where I can further my career as a software developer.

Work Experience
Associate Software Developer
GeoComm, Inc.
St. Cloud, MN
Start Date: 12/05/2011 End Date: Present
  • Develop software for E9-1-1 call mapping, call routing & public safety GIS data maintenance using C#.NET & VB.NET
  • Unit test software using Visual Studio 2010 unit testing tools
  • Assist Product Verification with configuring software in test environment
  • Assist Technical Support with customer issues
  • Assist Implementation with installation issues
  • Estimate software development & testing time
  • Develop network designs
  • Help specify system requirements for software

Software Testing Analyst
GeoComm, Inc.
St. Cloud, MN
Start Date: 09/05/2008 End Date: 12/02/2011
  • Test software to find bugs
  • Develop test plans
  • Develop network designs
  • Help specify system requirements for software
  • Write installation documentation
  • Proofread documentation from Technical Writer
  • Create HTML Application based installers
  • Assist Technical Support with customer issues
  • Assist Implementation with installation issues

Technical Support Analyst
GeoComm, Inc.
St. Cloud, MN
Start Date: 11/19/2007 End Date: 09/02/2008
  • Solve customer issues with software
  • Assist implementation technicians when onsite

Implementation Technician
GeoComm, Inc.
St. Cloud, MN
Start Date: 10/10/2006 End Date: 11/16/2007
  • Install software at customer sites
  • Assist Technical Support with customer problems

Education
Degree: Bachelor’s Degree
Major: Network Modeling and Simulation
St. Cloud State University, St. Cloud, MN US

Degree: Associate Degree
Major: Computer Science
Ridgewater Community College, Willmar, MN US

Additional Skills
  • Microsoft Windows XP, Vista & 7
  • Microsoft Office
  • LibreOffice
  • Java
  • HTML
  • Android
  • Eclipse
  • Android Development Toolkit
  • Microsoft Visual Studio
  • C#.NET
  • VB.NET
  • WCF

Notes & Activities
  • Hall Council for Benton Hall
  • Benton Hall Executive Board Member
  • Experience A Greater Living Environment Award for Unsung Resident
  • National Dean’s List

References
Available upon request

Not everyone could see the Google Docs version though ;)

As for GeekCode, it doesn't really help when it comes to a job.

Point is that, in two months, your resume has not materially changed. Are you even trying? What is it you want from this thread?

Point is that, in two months, your resume has not materially changed. Are you even trying? What is it you want from this thread?

Did some more work to it on break and to me it looks better/my job descriptions are better. But stuff that makes sense to me probably doesn't to others.

Objective
To obtain a position where I can further my career as a software developer.

Work Experience
Associate Software Developer
GeoComm, Inc.
St. Cloud, MN
Start Date: 12/05/2011 End Date: Present
  • Develop & maintain software for E9-1-1 call mapping, NG9-1-1 call routing & public safety GIS data maintenance using C#.NET & VB.NET
  • Unit test software using Visual Studio 2010 unit testing tools
  • Assist Product Verification with configuring software in test environment
  • Work with Technical Support to resolve customer issues
  • Work with Implementation to resolve installation issues
  • Estimate software development & testing time
  • Work with Software Development & Testing Coordinator to develop system & network requirements for software
  • Perform software implementations for special projects
  • Develop SQL Views to interface with customer's Computer Aided Dispatch software
  • Develop initial installation directions & troubleshooting documentation for new software/functionality

Software Testing Analyst
GeoComm, Inc.
St. Cloud, MN
Start Date: 09/05/2008 End Date: 12/02/2011
  • Develop test plans
  • Use test plans to systematically test software
  • Work with Software Development & Testing Coordinator to develop system & network requirements for software
  • Write installation documentation
  • Create HTML Application based installers
  • Perform software implementations for special projects

Technical Support Analyst
GeoComm, Inc.
St. Cloud, MN
Start Date: 11/19/2007 End Date: 09/02/2008
  • Solve customer issues with software
  • Perform software upgrades

Implementation Technician
GeoComm, Inc.
St. Cloud, MN
Start Date: 10/10/2006 End Date: 11/16/2007
  • Install software at customer sites

Education
Degree: Bachelor’s Degree
Major: Network Modeling and Simulation
St. Cloud State University, St. Cloud, MN US

Degree: Associate Degree
Major: Computer Science
Ridgewater Community College, Willmar, MN US

Additional Skills
  • Microsoft Windows XP, Vista & 7
  • Microsoft Office
  • LibreOffice
  • Java
  • HTML
  • Android
  • Eclipse
  • Android Development Toolkit
  • Microsoft Visual Studio
  • C#.NET
  • VB.NET
  • WCF

Notes & Activities
  • Hall Council for Benton Hall
  • Benton Hall Executive Board Member
  • Experience A Greater Living Environment Award for Unsung Resident
  • National Dean’s List

References
Available upon request

Last edited:
Actually, because of the formatting, I didn't spend much time reading it.
I corrected the formatting, since i just kinda copy and pasted it without really checking it much.

There are several grammatical errors. The most frequent is using a comma before and in two item list, such as "Diagnosing syntax, and other issues" or "Setup, and maintenance".

Thanks, didn't realize it. So should I change it to something like "Diagnose syntax" and "setup and maintain" ?

The biggest issue to me is that you're in-specific. For example, this bullet: "Provide remote and phone support for Doctors, Nurses and other office staff using the e-MDs EMR software suite." doesn't tell me if you actually did the support, or contracted someone to do the support. Or worked in a group that did the support together. I don't know what kind of issues you were working, or what your expertise is, or how busy you were. What were you challenges and how good were you at addressing them? Would your success there map to success in my organization, if I hired you?

This part I'm unsure about on how to correct. I believe that the following lines explain the various ways I support and address the various things that I do. Am I incorrect in that assumption? Or should I try to find a way to break that down? Wouldn't that make it way longer than needed? Or Could I just change it to something like, "Provide tier 3 helpdesk support for Docotors, Nurses and other office staff using the e-MDs EMR software support."

And just add the phone and remote support thing with more details on another line?

Thanks again! I don't know how I missed some of these things!

EDIT: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1HM69UmY1uJ7q5Ruw6QUDfaJxFvXQT9bALiiBMCzGkTE/edit

I improved most of the things you hit on except for the last one. Thanks!

Last edited:
Here is the resume that just got me a sweet job in Downtown LA. Must have applied for 400+ position and interviewed for 50. Names have been changed to protect the innocent.

Objective:
I am interested in obtaining a position in the Los Angeles area where I can continue to utilize my current skill set in an environment which is supportive of challenge, new opportunities and growth. I respectfully request your consideration of my resume as candidate for your position. I am often described as hardworking, determined, reliable and committed to thriving in an fast-paced environment. I possess the necessary skills to be both a leader as well as a team player. I am a self-starter and enjoy working the continual puzzle that comprises the IT world.

Overview:
My skill set demonstrates a strong knowledge and experience of different platforms, systems, programs and graphic design applications. In my work experience, I have worked in educational, government and corporate settings. I have overseen and participated in many projects from Active Directory turn up and integrations to full scale facility wide networking and telecom projects. Most recently I have successfully managed and implemented the merging and scale down of the **** into the ****, 200 users, 150 Workstations and Servers, overseeing from 2-5 Sys Admins and Techs. I lead the effort to properly implement the SAN array at the **** using Dell EqualLogic Array Software.

Skills/Knowledgebase:
Windows 2003R2/2008R2, Windows NT/2000/XP/Vista/7, Mac OSX Server/Desktop, Apple Xsan, Active Directory/GPO administration, Apache/ApacheTomcat installation and maint. (LAMP, RAILS, Bitnami), Nessus, ITIL, ISO 17799, OpenLDAP, MS Exchange 2007 Management, Miscrosoft Power Shell, DNS, DHCP etc., MS SQL 2000/2005, MySQL, Symantec Backup Exec, Symantec Endpoint Server, VMWare ESX, VMWare Server, Citrix PS 3/4.0, SAN asset provisioning, System Image creation using Ghost, Acronis and VMWare Workstation, Webserver turn-up and maintenance, Network hardware installation, configuration and management; Physical network and telecom wiring; Computer Hardware installation, troubleshooting and configuration; Desktop and Server system construction; Polycom Video and Audio conferencing equipment; Cisco Routers, ASA’s and Switches; HP Procurve Switches

Employment History:
2/2009 to 4/2012
Position: IT Manager/System Admin

• Installation of Windows/Windows Server as well as performing maintenance as needed
• Administration of Department Domain user rights and access through GPO’s
• Use of Nessus, State IT Group and other tools in vulnerability testing
• Use of ISO 17799 checklist against in place policies
• Adherence to and creation of policies using ITIL within department
• Ensuring proper replication of DNS and GPO across Dept DC’s
• Exchange 2007 account management
• Administration of MS Exchange 2007 accounts and server
• Providing Virtual services through VM/ESX and providing redundancy through VM’s
• Network maintenance and hardware replacement as needed
• SAN Provisioning and management for **** digital archive
• Administration of LAN hardware, user rights and vLAN’s
• Ensuring remote sites have proper LAN/WAN access via Cisco ASA’s
• Management of **** Xserver, Xsan and VLAN
• Remote support via RDS and Terminal Services
• Creation of Virtualized LAMP stacks on Red Hat Enterprise via VMWare for website versioning
• Installation and maintenance of Apache 2 and Apache Tomcat servers (LAMP, Bitnami, Rails)
• Maintaining a secure Enterprise through central managed AV, WSUS and enforcing end user policy
• Performing Fileserver/Dell MD1000 backup via BackupExec, ensuring data integrity and planning disaster recovery
• Creating windows of time where critical services can be maintained with little to no interruption to business
• Actively locating network bottlenecks and addressing them through hardware replacement or improved configuration
• Manage technicians and ensure timely and proper support for end users
• Creation of default base system images with Acronis True Image
• Ensure licensing compliance with all relevant software

2/2007 to 2/2009
IT Officer/Specialist

• Construction, installation and configuration of data processing servers, flight computers, data collection systems and file servers
• Implementation of 10Gb CX4 LAN for fast interconnects between processing and file servers
• Virtualization of 32 bit processing clients on 64bit servers for maximum processing time
• Enforcement of security policies through GPO and written policy
• Nessus for vulnerability testing
• NSA/MS approved security procedures hardening
• Rackspace Exchange 2007 hosted management
• Backup via offsite collocated file servers over VPN and bonded T1 connection

8/2005 to 2/2007
Position: Western Region IS/IT Manager

• Provide support for 4 AD sites
• Administration of backups and implementation of disaster recovery
• Administration, installation and maintenance of Citrix Presentation server; end user support
• Ensuring secure environment through WSUS, GPO’s and AV Servers
• Creation of standard images for client PC’s
• Remote support via RDS
• Creation of and support via Point to Point VPN’s through Sonicwall Firewalls

9/2004-8/2005
Mac IT Administrator

• Configuration and administration of OpenLDAP server
• Administration of Apple Xservers
• LAN maintenance and upgrading
• Computer lab maintenance
• End user support

8/2003-8/2005
IT Administrator

• Assist IT lead in duties
• Enforcing security and user rights through GPO
• Server hardware and software maintenance
• Monitor backups and help plan for disaster recovery
• Switch and firewall maintenance and configuration
• PC imaging, troubleshooting and maintenance
• Administration, maintenance and backup of Apple Powerschool server

8/2001-8/2004
Technology Coordinator/IT Director

• Managing of computer lab and staff computers
• File server maintenance and backup
• Installation and maintenance of network elements
• Push updates through GPO and WSUS

Education:
1997-2000 San Jose
State University San Jose, CA
Undergraduate Studies in Computer Science

Let me try mine again (not linked to Google Docs). I'll bet it looking the best I can given the constraints of the forums.

I miss MN :(
Here's mine

Daeity (Real Name upon request and offers)

[email protected]

Education

Dunwoody College of Technology
818 Dunwoody Boulevard, Minneapolis, Minnesota, 55403
Applied Associate Science Degree Computer Networking
Graduate: June 7th 2010

<High School>
<Address>
Graduate: May 14th 2008
Professional Experience

<Company Name, City> Idaho
IT Site Administrator/SCCM Administrator October 2012 &#8211; Current
Working as the second line of contact for the Corporate office of Woodgrain, doing computer deployments, network monitoring/changes, and general computer fixes. Administering the SCCM Server package deployments, software metering, and zero touch installation of operating systems. Continuing work with the IT operations team to implement new VPN, bandwidth monitoring tools, and digital environmental monitors during visits. Required to keep and update site workbook that documents all switches (what is connected to what via what port), routers, server room (rack allocation), computers that are deployed (in-depth info of deployed computers) and all decommissioned computers. Tasked with repairing computers and working with computer vendors to get replacements

<Company Name, City>, Idaho
IT Site Administrator May 2012 &#8211; October 2012
Working as the second line of contact for the helpdesk for four specific sites, that are chosen for me, doing computer deployments, network monitoring/changes, and wireless implantation for handheld scanners. Working closely with the site/plant managers to upgrade old equipment, work with vendors to connect PLC computers to the network, also working with the IT operations team to implement new VPN, bandwidth monitoring tools, and digital environmental monitors during visits. Required to keep and update site workbook that documents all switches (what is connected to what via what port), routers, server room (rack allocation), computers that are deployed (in-depth info of deployed computers) and all decommissioned computers. Tasked with repairing computers and working with computer vendors to get replacements

IT Service Desk May 2011 &#8211; May 2012
Working as a first line of contact for the users doing AD Password resets, eporal troubleshoots, Avante process locks/account creation/monitoring printer queues, MSOffice issues (OCS, outlook, Excel, word,), Print2PDF drivers installation. Worked closely with the SCCM admin on package pushes and troubleshooting issue with the service itself. As well as working with SAP partners in setting up the Woodgrain SAP project, helped setup the avante printing queues. Worked with AT&T to coordinate corporate phone moves (Site to Site). GFI-Fax administration, worked on renaming computers, company wide, to a standardized format. Configured training laptops for SAP implantation.

<Company Name, City> Minnesota
Support Technician June 2010 &#8211; October 2010
Responsible for handling all incoming online chat, email and phone issues by trouble shooting, analyzing and resolving any technical issues. Also monitored network outages, added and removed any accounts. Working with email configur) ations, Microsoft Office Suite, Active Directory, Internet protocols, different operating systems, Linux, MS (98, XP, Vista, 7)

<Company Name, City>, Minnesota
Contract Employee
March 2009 &#8211; September 2009
Worked for MedTronic moving people and workstations to allow for growth and efficiency.
Working with a team of people in the various locations around Minnesota.

<Company Name, City>, Minnesota
Delivery Driver
September 2008 &#8211; January 2010
Worked with a team of people in a Bar/Grill environment during high capacity times.
Delivering food to local customers, dealing with difficult customers, and cleaning the restaurant to specifications.

<Company Name, City>, Idaho
Sandwich Artist
September 2006 &#8211; August 2007
Worked with a team of people to supply a healthy sandwich food to the public.
Dealing with customers with high satisfaction, and keeping a clean store.

Technology Assistant
School Years 2007 and 2008
Worked with the technology instructor to code the school district&#8217;s website and trouble shoot computer problems around the school.

Instructor Aid School Years 2005 and 2006 Worked with the technology instructor to assist students with questions and help setup computers prior class.

Member of Association of Information Technology Professionals

Technology Aptitudes

Platforms &#8211; Windows (95, 98, XP, Vista, 7) Unix/Linux,
Hardware &#8211; Routers, Switches, Hubs, Firewalls, Modems
Networking &#8211; DNS, DHCP, TCP/IP, VPN, FTP, Routing Protocols (RIP, IGRP, EIGRP, OSPF, ISIS, BGP, IGMP)
Programming &#8211; HTML,CSS, VBscript and SQL
Email clients &#8211; Windows live, Smart phones, Outlook Express, Microsoft Outlook, Microsoft Exchange

Last edited:
Hey guys can you take a look at my resume and let me know what you think? I am hearing very little back , and Im not really sure why when applying to low level system admin positions.

Thanks

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0Bw2n6LUCHwJoOC0wdk1SMnFPcVU

Good start. I especially like your format of listing a summary-like statement to start with. Two points:

1) Get rid of the subjective phrases you use. "Motivated" or "Friendly" are purely subjective terms and don't belong on a resume that primarily consists of facts presented in the most flattering way. If you need to convey your character, find another way to do it. The readers will most likely think to themselves, "So he says he's friendly huh? Sure, to HIM he is!"

2) Add qualifiers to your skills. As the reader, don't make them work to determine the level of skill experience you have. If you've been at this for just a couple of years, say it. You can't simply say you have a skill without qualifying it with either a number of years, or some other measurable way to convey your level of expertise.

Good luck and let us know how your resume evolves!!

Thank you so much for the info, I will definitely take your advice.

Can you let me know what you think of my landing page? I have been directing many possible employers there.

http://flavors.me/andrewj3003

Thanks again.

I'm a big fan of the landing page. I have one myself. But I'm not really too pleased with yours for a number of reasons but it may depend on the audience you're aiming at.

1) If you're looking for a corporate professional position, this page is not very appropriate. Your photo along with the many graphical flairs on the page only detract from the content and aren't relevant either. Now if your target group is a more artistic environment like a video production studio or something that is more "laid back", then this may be fine.

2) I would suggest you buy your own domain and get your page hosted. It's about $10/year for a domain name and many hosting companies are around $5/month (or less) to host a simple site. Better to have a web address you own than use a service from someone you don't know and can't guarantee will be up tomorrow. Hell, you can probably set up an email address that is more professional sounding too (and just forward it to a Yahoo or Gmail account).

3) There is no need for a cover letter on the site. Cover letters are much less about a long writing assignment and more about being specific with a prospective employer. You want to help them see the specific ways you're a good match for what they're looking for as opposed to some general letter that all employers would see. Think of it as the personalized cliff notes of your resume for each reader. I like to format it this way:

Paragraph 1: You'll introduce yourself, and indicate what position you're interested in. You may hint at where you saw the listing and any additional info that may be important to the application.

Paragraph 2: Point out some of the aspects of the attached resume are a good match for the job description in the listing. Be sure to use the key words they used.

Paragraph 3: Say thanks and let them know you're looking forward to meeting.

Plain and simple. No flowery words or big platitudes. Naturally, if this becomes your format, it would have no place on a landing page.

4) Along with the resume and contact stuff on a landing page, I would suggest taking advantage of the format to embellish more on your skills and achievements. If you have done some cool projects, you can write about them --and pictures are always great if they can be used. I have found after talking with many employers instances where they mention something like, "I really need someone that can do..." I'll think to myself that not only can I do that but I already have and I'll try and talk about it over the phone or in an email but if I had a "portfolio" of significant projects or accomplishments already put together, it would be much easier to simply point people to the site and let them get more info. I've actually landed jobs that way too (thanks to Google). In any event, I consider a landing page the best place for that sort of stuff.

Good luck!

Depending on the legal landscape where you are, a picture might preclude your resume from being considered altogether. At a previous job, I was required to throw away any resume that included a picture and deny having received it.

Depending on the legal landscape where you are, a picture might preclude your resume from being considered altogether. At a previous job, I was required to throw away any resume that included a picture and deny having received it.

This. No pics. It will get your resume tossed.

This. No pics. It will get your resume tossed.

Ok, he doesn't have a picture on his resume guys. It is however shown on his "landing page". That's all. I would still remove it and make it look more "business-like" unless your aiming for a different sort of crowd.

Wow...I never thought about that. I guess I'm answering the "are you male/female, young/old, race?" questions they are legally not able to ask. Thanks guys, changing that right now.

You really got a good resume,however i have a little bit problem of my resume and it is really poor of experience.

Hi. Can anyone tell me if my summary section makes sense. Thanks

A versatile information technology professional with 6 years experience in the IT industry
leveraging a broad spectrum of both experience and expertise in the overall design,
implementation, operation, and support of centralized systems infrastructure

What I am trying to get at is that I have experience in all phases/Parts of the IT infrastructure in an enterprise (databases, networking, support, backup, mail, application development, ect...)

How about:

"Enterprise IT professional with 6 years experience in design, implementation, operation, and support of centralized systems infrastructure."

...Less is more!

Back