IT Resume Thread

Looks better. If yuo have a short-term contract, I'd indicate it as such. "(Short-term contract position)", for instance.

The camp position doens't need to be removed. It's your first job, everyone understands you're just starting out. It's pretty redundant as written, though. What about something like this?

Code:
Summers of 2004 and 2005 Camp Taloali, Stayton, Oregon
Camp Counselor
* Responsible for campers' well-being, safety, and participation in activities over day and night shifts.

Do you guys think this will do as a cover letter? Job opening is for a 'technology services team' for a company in Silicon Valley.

Hello, my name is NAME and I'm interested in your open position for your technology services team and have attached my resume to this message for your review. This position was brought to my attention by REFERENCE, Cisco Academy Regional Instructor at Delta College. I am presently exploring career opportunities in providing technology solutions and services to large and small businesses. Over the years through education, work, and personal experience I have gained many skills that would qualify me for a position.

As my resume will show, I have 10 years’ experience in network administration, desktop support, and customer service. Through this experience I have become very efficient at configuring and troubleshooting PC’s and networks. I have also become very skilled at building rapport with customers and insuring all services and products are suited to their needs to insure customer satisfaction.

If you have any questions or wish to talk more in person, please feel free to contact me anytime at TN#. Thank you for your consideration.

here's mine... I'm originally in the finance field so I had to do a little doctoring and consulting with my dad (who owns the print shop mentioned in the resume). job market sucks everywhere, but I am competent with computers and got to thinking -- why not give myself a wider chance of getting employment? he'll vouch if anyone calls him. thoughts?

I will need to learn about MS Access, Active Directory, and SCCM to be competitive in this field. any tips on where to do that?

resume said:
OBJECTIVE
To obtain a challenging position in computer repair/consulting at a prestigious and well-recognized firm that will showcase my skill and knowledge to their fullest extent, and to ultimately serve the firm’s clientele with utmost care and quality of service.

QUALIFICATIONS
• Experience with all facets of PC building, repair, and troubleshooting
• Perform all tasks with speed, accuracy, and efficiency
• Extensive experience with networking in a small office/business environment
• Competent in imaging, data transfer, and recovery
• Understanding of all modern consumer and workstation versions of Windows
• Competent in all Office applications, familiar with Exchange
• A combined 6 years of PC/technology experience

WORK HISTORY
xPrinting System Admin Sept 2009 – July 2012

• Administer a 25-system network consisting of a complex print server and firewall
• Handle all troubleshooting, support, and repair on both Mac OS and Windows systems
• Proficient in both hardware and software troubleshooting
• Re-image system backups to new hardware in case of failure
• Manage the urgency of support requests to ensure a streamlined and smooth workflow
• Build custom systems to suit different levels of needs within the firm
• Install all necessary software for said systems, including OS, drivers, creativity software
• Ensure all systems meet necessary security code to prevent any breach of proprietary info
• Handle all antivirus installations, infection scans, and cleanup/repairs

Self-Employed Independent PC Contractor Jan 2006 – Present

• Perform routine maintenance of assorted hardware and software for various clients
• Handle hardware upgrades and software updates for a variety of needs
• Build systems from the ground up to meet clients’ benchmarks and suit preferences
• Render antivirus services in a timely fashion
• Backup and reformat systems when deemed necessary and by request
• Ensure all work is done professionally and punctually

EDUCATION
• Economics, The Ohio State University: 2010-2011

Last edited:
Sticky questions for you guys.
I currently do not have my COP A+ Cert but I am working on getting it, once I have the $400 for the test I will take the test, and I am confident I will pass after receiving high marks on the practice test on the CompTIA site.
A few jobs that I would like to apply for say that a A+ cert is required, my question is, how much would I be putting my ass in the fire if I said I had my A+ but did not. Is it worth the risk to say that I do, or should I try to let my resume and experiences speak for itself taking the chance that having that cert is not that much of a requirement?

Here's the revised one, it now fits on one page and I have removed the references available upon request. I am not sure whether I should remove the Peek / Camp Taloali entries from my employment history as they may not be relevant?

Thank you mikeblas for your feedback, I do appreciate it.

Instead of explaining the parts in Microsoft Office, it's more important that you include versions. 2003, 2007 or 2010. Maybe do the same with OS X, also put a space between OS and X. If you're the specific job you are applying for calls for Linux experience, I would elaborate on which distributions. Otherwise Linux/Unix is okay.

$320 is like $5000 to me right now

Why do you want to get certifications? If you know the subject, then you know the subject. Having a cert doesn't prove that you know the stuff, and you'll have to re-test to keep the certification in two years (right?) again, anyway.

Why do you want to get certifications? If you know the subject, then you know the subject. Having a cert doesn't prove that you know the stuff, and you'll have to re-test to keep the certification in two years (right?) again, anyway.

Some jobs absolutely require that you have the appropriate certifications in order to start or keep the job.

$320 is like $5000 to me right now

You shouldn't even be asking a dumb question like this. It's a non-issue; you really want to commit career suicide by lying about a stupid A+ certification?!?!?!?!? :rolleyes:

Just to bring this back on topic.. Gate have you posted your resume here? If you have experience you shouldn't have problems getting interviews.

A review would be great!
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ipAB-ap8y5fqJfQIVM8ojJIJ2NUuMH1JQFY3NQMfT1E/edit

Spacing a little funny due to converting from word to google doc.

"and have recently saved a customer $4500" comes off as completely arbitrary.

use the word "and" in place of a slash. For example, "personal and professional" instead of "personal/professional".

You mean "peripheral installation" and not "peripherals installation".

"routers", not "roughers". Did you even proof this yourself before asking us to help?

"fully understanding different forms of operating systems" isn't strictly true -- nobody fully understands an operating system -- and "different forms" doesn't make much sense in this context. You include in this list software examples that aren't operating systems, so it's a bit confusing.

"to end users or customer" is bad grammar and a poor read. "to end users and customers" comes off better.

use "and" instead of an ampersand as in "Design and IT Support" instead of "Design & IT Support".

"customers' needs", not "customer's needs". "requirements", not "requirement's".

You shift from imperative to infinitive verb tense throughout the resume.

Lots of grammatical errors and sentence fragments. "Using Google analytics for created website to discover health of site and where or how it could be improved to increase traffic" is just awful. It was at that point I stopped reading and gave up.

"and have recently saved a customer $4500" comes off as completely arbitrary.

use the word "and" in place of a slash. For example, "personal and professional" instead of "personal/professional".

You mean "peripheral installation" and not "peripherals installation".

"routers", not "roughers". Did you even proof this yourself before asking us to help?

"fully understanding different forms of operating systems" isn't strictly true -- nobody fully understands an operating system -- and "different forms" doesn't make much sense in this context. You include in this list software examples that aren't operating systems, so it's a bit confusing.

"to end users or customer" is bad grammar and a poor read. "to end users and customers" comes off better.

use "and" instead of an ampersand as in "Design and IT Support" instead of "Design & IT Support".

"customers' needs", not "customer's needs". "requirements", not "requirement's".

You shift from imperative to infinitive verb tense throughout the resume.

Lots of grammatical errors and sentence fragments. "Using Google analytics for created website to discover health of site and where or how it could be improved to increase traffic" is just awful. It was at that point I stopped reading and gave up.

It's a start, thanks bud!

^haha, even that is wrong.

Last edited:
Any comments?

Reads poorly. I can't tell what it is you've actually done; you say that you "Assisted" with some stuff. What does that really mean? You "develop software", but you haven't told me what the software is, how complicated it is, what languages you used, or how successful you were at it. After reading such a resume, I have no idea what your skillset is or if I should hire you or not.

Reads poorly. I can't tell what it is you've actually done; you say that you "Assisted" with some stuff. What does that really mean? You "develop software", but you haven't told me what the software is, how complicated it is, what languages you used, or how successful you were at it. After reading such a resume, I have no idea what your skillset is or if I should hire you or not.

I will work on it more this weekend. Thank you for the input on what I have so far though.

Here's my resume for everyone's perusal.

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B8gMDtx9GaFXYnNqYWptRDdpQ2M

I've had interviews with companies that I KNOW I can do the work, but obviously my lack of a college degree hurts me. In an overcrowded market that one job opening gets hundreds or thousands of applicants, they are going to pick the person that has all the qualifications that I do, PLUS the college degree. :rolleyes:

I'm thinking about going off on my own as just a local "computer guy".....doing what I do now for the company I work for, but be self employed. Making my own rules and schedule, etc, making my own wages, and just filling out a 1099 every year....anyone have any advice for dong this? Do you prefer working for "the man" or for yourself?

:)

and tips/feedback on mine posted a little ways up?

What sort of positions are you applying for?

Write a summary rather then objective.. it's been talked about a lot in this thread.

Trim you're qualifications and your work experience. You're adding too much to make it look like you do more but it's just looking like you're fluffing. Also, it sounds like this was more of a technician position with some server experience rather then an administrator position. Also don't abbreviate admin.

Give me specifics.. what operating systems did you use? Simply type Microsoft Office rather then all Office applications. Also tell me what versions you use. 2003? 2007?

Why's the print server complex? What operating systems where being used? Re-image bullet point doesn't make sense. You want "Managed imaging system using X to deploy end user workstations" Antivirus is assumed and not something to brag about especially when you can't tell me what AV you use. "Security code" isn't the write expression either.

Education? What sort of degree? I doubt "The" is in the school's name.

Last edited:
Here's my resume for everyone's perusal.

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B8gMDtx9GaFXYnNqYWptRDdpQ2M

I've had interviews with companies that I KNOW I can do the work, but obviously my lack of a college degree hurts me. In an overcrowded market that one job opening gets hundreds or thousands of applicants, they are going to pick the person that has all the qualifications that I do, PLUS the college degree. :rolleyes:

I'm thinking about going off on my own as just a local "computer guy".....doing what I do now for the company I work for, but be self employed. Making my own rules and schedule, etc, making my own wages, and just filling out a 1099 every year....anyone have any advice for dong this? Do you prefer working for "the man" or for yourself?

:)

Resume reviews will come in but first I'll say this. Being your own boss means your "the man" to yourself. It means yelling at yourself when you're late and telling yourself to work into the evening to finish a project. Maybe you'll like that.. just remember that the salary you wish you were earning right now is going to be only a percentage of your company's income if you want to run a profitable company and make money for yourself. How is your company going to make that much money? Do you have enough money saved up to not pay yourself for 6-12 months or even more while your company gets rolling? Consumers are worthless to market to. They can't afford the prices that you will need to charge to make money. Business customers are probably going to need a combination of 24x7 support and how will you buy the computers they order from you? You most likely won't get paid by them for 30-60 days with the way invoicing works.

It's not impossible to do all this.. lots of people do and succeed but just understand everything you'll be stepping into.

adam, mainly desktop support and things like that. I have updated it -- please have a look here. Thanks so much for the help.

10 years designing and building computers and servers. This ranges from a $500 dollar basic PC to a
$15,000 dollar CAD engineering workstation, and everything in between.
This reads terribly. You really haven't done "everything inbetween". Worse yet, servers aren't in the contiuum from a cheap basic PC to a high-end workstation; that continuum only covers PCs. "a wide variety of workstations and servers" is more concise and makes a lot more sense.

I’m a fast learner, I can quickly learn any new skills or requirements you have of me, and I’m always
willing to take on new responsibilities to adapt to a changing environment.
This is a waste of space and poorly written anyhow.

But the main problem is that the timelines don't make any sense. You're claiming to have 12 years of experience, which would mean you started in 2000. Windows 3.1 was extremely rare in 2000, and you only list proessional experience back to 2005. Same for claiming 10 years of experience building computers; that would have started you in 2002, but you don't list employment history for that time.

ok. some support positions around here are in the range of $18-$25/hr, so I wouldn't be complaining if I lined something like that up for now. What about advancement?

Untitled.jpg

Last edited:

Made some changes based on your suggestions. I have no clue what to use instead of "assist" yet so it still says that.

resume

This reads terribly. You really haven't done "everything inbetween". Worse yet, servers aren't in the contiuum from a cheap basic PC to a high-end workstation; that continuum only covers PCs. "a wide variety of workstations and servers" is more concise and makes a lot more sense.

This is a waste of space and poorly written anyhow.

But the main problem is that the timelines don't make any sense. You're claiming to have 12 years of experience, which would mean you started in 2000. Windows 3.1 was extremely rare in 2000, and you only list proessional experience back to 2005. Same for claiming 10 years of experience building computers; that would have started you in 2002, but you don't list employment history for that time.

The problem with my work history is that I"ve had several temp positions over the years that lasted anywhere from one week to several months that were in the IT field....I've read various resume help sites that recommend to not put down short term job listings like that, and also to focus on just the last several years of employment, etc....there's lots of varying information out there.

Also I was unemployed for a period of time, etc. I don't have an all star job history I can put down going all the way back to 2000. I did work for a call center as tech support for a year or so in 2000 - 2001, but then also I did non tech support call center work for Hickory Farms... that's why I say I have 2 years of call center experience....but then I skipped around and worked as a fry cook for 2 years.....so that's kind of counter productive I would think to list ALL my job history including the non-IT related jobs.

thanks for your advice....it's what I need though. :)

Made some changes based on your suggestions. I have no clue what to use instead of "assist" yet so it still says that.

resume

'Conducted'
'Provided'
etc.

Make it sound like you are saving the company money, or contributing to cost analysis, for the benefit of the corporation. For example:

'Estimate software development & testing time' can read:
'Conducted cost/time analysis of project implementations'

'Help specify system requirements for software' can read:
'Created BOMs for future IT infrastructure upgrades to meet budget constraints'

'Conducted'
'Provided'
etc.

Make it sound like you are saving the company money, or contributing to cost analysis, for the benefit of the corporation. For example:

'Estimate software development & testing time' can read:
'Conducted cost/time analysis of project implementations'

'Help specify system requirements for software' can read:
'Created BOMs for future IT infrastructure upgrades to meet budget constraints'

I went with "Provided assistance to Technical Support for customer issues" & "Provided assistance to Implementation for installation issues". To me it sounds better, but I was never good at writing resumes/anything.

ok guys, suggestions/advice will be greatly appreciated. Just a little background on me: I know my past job experience might have a few holes in it. Just been through some hard times. My recent employer which I am still employed with, sadly has not started me yet, even over a year , which is very unprofessional being a big company. currently hired as a part time field service technician. I do believe I should still be able to keep that reference on my resume. I got that position through a personal recommendation from someone in that company. The gaps between employment I have been helping with family out here and there, taking personal time off etc.

My education is non-graduate college, and a technical school graduate for computer aided drafting. I would like however to get an entry level career start in something IT. My personal experience from PC, includes my computer overclocking, watercooled, and what not personal hobbies, just to give you a background of what I am trying to go for.

http://i50.tinypic.com/xqkf3q.jpg

Here is a quick screen shot of my current resume towards an IT desk type job. I do make small edits according to whatever the job description I am applying is. It was suggested by a friend that I remove my address. I always felt that my distance away from companies would hurt my application if a closer candidate was available.

I also recently got a new phone number in the past week. it was unknown to me with my old carrier that I would have people call my phone and they would get a "this is not a working number" message which I feel hurt my job hunt since t-mobile could not see the problem (and yet I had family members report it to me, and I even seen it with them next to me).

For those of you who have been with a company for upwards of 10 years but have changed titles at the company due to restructuring, do you list your position changes? Or are you just listing your most recent title?

I believe it depends on the job you're applying for. I personally just list a title that best describes my overall work at a company --however, I was a mechanic that transferred to engineering so I actually list that as two different jobs in my own resume (just with the same company). It all depends on how you're trying to present yourself.

ok guys, suggestions/advice will be greatly appreciated. Just a little background on me: I know my past job experience might have a few holes in it. Just been through some hard times. My recent employer which I am still employed with, sadly has not started me yet, even over a year , which is very unprofessional being a big company. currently hired as a part time field service technician. I do believe I should still be able to keep that reference on my resume. I got that position through a personal recommendation from someone in that company. The gaps between employment I have been helping with family out here and there, taking personal time off etc.

My education is non-graduate college, and a technical school graduate for computer aided drafting. I would like however to get an entry level career start in something IT. My personal experience from PC, includes my computer overclocking, watercooled, and what not personal hobbies, just to give you a background of what I am trying to go for.

http://i50.tinypic.com/xqkf3q.jpg

My main problem with this resume is the subjective terms you use. Your summary needs to be as specific as possible because many readers will not go past it. Things like "extensive experience" mean absolutely nothing to the reader. Change that to a number of years or some other way of qualifying your skills that can be measured.

It boils down to this: an employer is looking for just 2 things:
1. Do you have the skills we need?
2. Do you have the appropriate experience level in those skills?

Now understand that not every employer is looking for an overflowing amount of experience. Sometimes they want an entry-level employee because they are cheaper to hire, sometimes they want to avoid people with too much experience because they will leave if they get a better offer for more pay, sometimes they want the top level possible, etc. There is no need to worry about if you have "enough" experience. You're either a good match for the company or you're not. Either way, get that information out there as fast as possible so you both can get on with your lives.

--The worst thing a resume can do is hide / cloud this information with fancy, flowery words and your entire employment life history.

I would like to see what people think of my resume. Just to preface, I am only 23 so my experience is limited. I don't really job hop, just take any new opportunities that are better for me and/or involve more money. I'm a Systems Engineer Consultant right now, and would like to find a Desktop Engineer job, managing SCCM for a large company (including imaging, software packaging/deploying, antivirus, desktop GPOs, etc).

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0Bz_lHxLQ-xf2aFEwZEZTTUFnMm8

Also, noted under my certifications I note that I attach my MS Transcript, which I do...but felt no need to share it here. I have my MCITP (Enterprise Desktop Support Tech, Enterprise Desktop Administrator, Virtualization Administrator, and Server Administrator--Working on my Enterprise Administrator), MCSE (Private Cloud 2012), MCP (System Center Configuration Manger 2007, System Center Configuration Manger 2012, Deploying Office 2010 and Windows 7).

Let me know what you all think!

Hey guys, if you have the time to critique my updated resume it would be much appreciated.
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0Bw2n6LUCHwJoaEFxYTJlQmFiWGM

The formatting is messed because of uploading to google docs, the part on the second page where it says 'Andrew ****' is really at the top of the page, just thought I would clear that up.
Also, if anyone knows how I could get the horizontal line to be next to the words 'Technical Proficiencies' 'Professional Experience' and 'Education' rather then underneath, that would make it look so much better.
Like this:
http://media.newjobs.com/mm/usen/content/pdf/IT-security-resume-sample.pdf

Thanks.

Last edited:
Back