IT Resume Thread

I would even venture to throw something in there like ITIL V3 training and something like SharePoint or some other collaboration style software. Really it depends on what you want your general aim to be.

Read/browsed through the entire thread multiple times.. After "borrowing" some ideas and a few phrases, I have this:

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&...hlNmUtODhhN2M0NWQyMjAz&hl=en&authkey=CO-yspYO

Fantastic first run!! I'd really spend my time working on the opening statement. "Career Overview" isn't exactly what a reader is looking for as opposed to "Summary". Next I'd whittle down the statement to a MUCH shorter single sentence --along with your security clearance sentence. Get to the point and give yourself a title that's more specific than all the vague terms you use. I have no idea from reading that if you're a helpdesk tech or an enterprise-class database administrator. Pick a title and use it. If you're applying for a job that doesn't fit that title, change it to fit the needs of the application.

Well I am now done with the semester and have this summer and one more to go.

I've taken the time to attempt to put the lessons of this thread into action and create a resume. I'm not entirely happy with it and would like some advice on aspects of the content.

It would help to read what I've already posted earlier on this page ( #1042 ) to understand my situation, which to summarize is: I have absolutely no professional experience in a technical field and I feel like I'm not actually qualified in anything.

Anyway HERE IT IS

I apologize in advance to jlbenedict if you happen to read this. You know what they say about imitation...

I think the 'Skills and Training' area is the weak point even though it should be the strongest. As mentioned before, I can't call myself an 'expert' in anything and I phrased the section so it doesn't seem like I am trying to pass it off that I am an expert, but it still doesn't seem quite right somehow.

Thanks again to all the sages and wise men in this thread. Any advice is much appreciated.

Network+ or CCENT? I'm eventually going for CCNA, so I know the CCENT exam will cover half of CCNA's exam requirements. Just finished A+ last week, passed easily over 800 on both exams.

Here's mine: google docs pdf

I whipped it up in LaTeX and printed it on some classy heavy stock.

As you can see I'm a new grad. I was also fortunate enough to land a job, albeit a support position. I will be digging through this thread for ideas. I am going to update the resume after I have done so.

Last edited:
This thread is too long to parse, but did anyone recommend a site or service that will scrub your resume and give you hints on how to make it better? Or perhaps a service which will reformat it for you to be (more) professional than you can do yourself?

I'm willing to pay - I need it perfect.

Thanks.

This thread is too long to parse, but did anyone recommend a site or service that will scrub your resume and give you hints on how to make it better? Or perhaps a service which will reformat it for you to be (more) professional than you can do yourself?

I'm willing to pay - I need it perfect.

Thanks.

Highly recommend http://www.resumetointerviews.com/

Reasonable and very good work.

Thanks NetJunkie.

My current company is relocating. I may need their services. 'Cisco professional with 12 years experience.

Hey guys,

I've been reading over this thread and I decided to "borrow" some phrases, ideas and suggestions for my resume. ;)

Here's what I came up with, I'd love to get some feedback...

Cover Letter

Resume

Please be as brutal as possible :D

Thanks in advance.

Be extremely careful with grammar, you're using an apostrophe incorrectly on "PCs".. other then that you've picked up how to write about yourself clearly and effectively. Since you were self employed doing repair work, why can't you list that as an on going job on your resume? Unrelated professional experience is fine to include but I would keep the bullet points brief, confirm for them that you were employed during that time but don't waste much time talking about it.

Under skills I think OS X and Linux can go third, since the other two bullet points are still talking about Windows.

Get your A+ as soon as you can I don't think it helps to say you're "working on it" since it's not the same as working on a degree that you have X semesters left to complete. Which client certifications are you looking at? I don't believe in certs as resume filler but if you're experienced in an operating system you should look at the appropriate certs to help validate your experience.

Very good start..

Yes, I would wholeheartedly agree that this is a FANTASTIC start! Even the cover letter isn't too shabby. Personally, I'd like to see the resume on a single page. It doesn't look like there's much information there but maybe the font size and line spacing is what is taking up all the room?

Anyways, here are some of my thoughts on this one:

GREAT summary! You nailed it. Give yourself a title and qualify that title with something measurable. Great job!!

I'd consider fleshing out your skills section and reduce your employment history to a 2-line entry for each position (we have some examples here on this thread). Considering that your last job title doesn't look relevant, it would be best if you could highlight more information before the reader gets to that point. You're actually a perfect example of why the "hybrid resume" is so useful. You have skills that are relevant to your title but just showing the employment history and job descriptions may not be the best way to convey that. Hell, some of your PC experience may even extend beyond what you've listed here because it wasn't found in a "paying gig". That doesn't make it not a valid skill!!

If you could add some information to your A+ it may help too. For instance, if you're in a class, have a scheduled exam date, or something additional you could show, it may help...

Again, fantastic job so far. Let us all know how it progresses and how the job hunt is going!!

Be extremely careful with grammar, you're using an apostrophe incorrectly on "PCs".. other then that you've picked up how to write about yourself clearly and effectively. Since you were self employed doing repair work, why can't you list that as an on going job on your resume? Unrelated professional experience is fine to include but I would keep the bullet points brief, confirm for them that you were employed during that time but don't waste much time talking about it.

Under skills I think OS X and Linux can go third, since the other two bullet points are still talking about Windows.

Get your A+ as soon as you can I don't think it helps to say you're "working on it" since it's not the same as working on a degree that you have X semesters left to complete. Which client certifications are you looking at? I don't believe in certs as resume filler but if you're experienced in an operating system you should look at the appropriate certs to help validate your experience.

Very good start..

In the technical and especially the engineering market, grammar skills are generally over rated. I have never seen an engineering candidate rejected from further consideration because of a "there / their" or "your / you're" type error or for that matter, any other type of minor to even moderate language error.

Sure thing: read this thread!! I'd say, if you're not able to plow through the many YEARS of resume discussions mentioned here, just go back a half-dozen pages and start there. The vast majority of the things I see that could be better in your resume have been addressed quite a few times --even in the last year. Good luck and please continue to share with us your progress!!

I could really use some help with my resume. i know there are a few things i need to add, but some advice from you guys would be great. I'm working towards being a sys admin working in a linux/unix and windows environment, but i'am also interested in networking management.

Also. is it worth noting in a resume that i help setup computers and home networks for co-workers in my free time?

https://docs.google.com/document/d/15FEYVRe2f3-969lUrKFzgihMzBxaSPL4EyrfSXA2fzg/edit?hl=en_US

ps some of the formatting got effed up when uploading my resume into google docs

I am updating my resume with the internship i did this summer. I helped the systems admin at a non-profit upgrade and migrate all of the servers to VMware and from Server 2003 - Server 2008 VM's. Below is what i have right now. Any suggestions on how i could word this better?

• Worked on VMware vSphere 4 physical to virtual migration of the entire organization
• Upgraded, Installed, and configured new server and network hardware for the P2V migration
• Configured new servers as VMware vSphere 4 ESXi 4.1 hosts managed with vCenter Server
• Recommended hardware and software solutions to the project manager for easier migration
• Migrated Windows Server 2003 Active Directory Domain to new Server 2008 virtual machines
• Designed and setup virtual machine backup solution using Backup Exec 2010
• Assisted the systems administrator with daily tasks involving Active Directory, Group Policy, Network troubleshooting, and any other information technology related tasks for the organization

Just an FYI. I was talking with hiring managers where I got hired and I was hired because of the same reason I thought I was not getting hired. I answered their questions with "I'm not sure, I've done in in school / at previous job, but do not know the specifics. " Rather that getting stuck in a BS lie like the others did.

Alright, I feel like I have read a lot of the forum but many of what were called "good" resumes are not available. What ever happened to making a list of good resumes to use as references? Anyway, I am hoping that I can get the opinion of the community on mine.

J C
555 Street address
Oregon City, OR
Myname @ email​
SUMMARY
Network administrator with 7 years of experience configuring, installing and maintaining routers, switches, phones, and computers on a Cisco based infrastructure.

TECHNICAL SKILLS
*Hardware*
• Cisco switches: Assigned Vlans, port security, and trunking.
• Cisco routers: Set up GLBP and static routes.
• Cisco VoIP: Registered and configured phones using Cisco Call Manager v4.
• Cabling: Troubleshoot Fiber (MM and SM), Cat5/6 Ethernet, Cat 3, and 10base2.
• Crypto: Configured and troubleshot kiv 7 and Taclane mini, micro, and KG-175.
• DSL: Configured and installed Zhone, Cisco, and Speed Stream DSL with corresponding DSLAM.
• Desktop Computers: Set up, built, and troubleshot computer hardware.
*Software*
• Operating Systems: Installed and configured Windows 2000-Windows 7, Windows server 2000-2003, and Redhat Linux.
• Network Monitoring: Utilized HP OpenView, Cisco Works, Solar Winds Orion, What’s Up Gold, Syslog, and Deep Matrix IP Monitor.
• Network Management: Cisco NCM, Cisco Works, PuTTY, Fluke Optiview, and Cisco SDM.
• Office: Excel, Word, and Visio.

PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE
Company Camp, Kuwait Network Administrator (Jan 2010 – Dec 2010)
• Troubleshot issues ranging from layer 1 to 3 on LAN containing over 10,000 devices.
• Configured crypto for secure information transfer and maintained their static routes.
• Brought documentation up to date and maintained maps and configurations.
• Enforced network security policies by tracking down users for violations and restricting access.

Company AFB, CA Network Design Engineer (Mar 2008 – Dec 2009)
• Stood up 24/7 NOC including training, documentation and procedures.
• Created upgrade designs between Seven 6513s for the main data center replacing antiquated systems and increasing bandwidth by 300%.
• Led base wide project converting from Cisco and SpeedStream DSL to ZHONE DSL.
• Engineered a logically separated network for streaming video used by base Law Enforcement

United States Air Force SrA Network Management (Nov 2003 – Nov 2007)
• Established network connectivity in new Hospital Clinic utilizing three 4507 switches.
• Designed multiple temporary networks for exercises with less than 24 hour notice.
• Performed Records custodian function for Network Management making sure proper documentation was maintained, archived, and available.
• Established 10gig fiber backbone to support the expanding bandwidth requirements

CERTIFICATIONS AND TRAINING
• CCNA (July 2009)
• Security+ (August 2008)
• Unix system administration Course (Mar 2005)
• E3ABR3C231 005 Communications Computer Systems Control Apprentice Course (Jan 2004 - May 2004)

SECURITY CLEARENCE
• Department of Defense Secret

Last edited:
This is a awesome thread, especially for those of us currently seeking a career change! :cool:

I've gone through much of the thread and reviewed many of the resumes posted here. Utilizing the advice given throughout the thread, I have revised my resume and came up with this: https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&...ZDIzNi00MGIzLWIyNzgtYWVmZmI1MDM5MDky&hl=en_US

I wasn't exactly sure how to list independent consulting (that I did on the side), so I consolidated it into a single work experience. If anyone has the time, it'd be great to get an opinion on this.

Some people have disagreed about spelling and grammar but definitely make sure you spell VOIP correctly. There's an extra period on your network management bulletpoint and there should be a space after the colon.

This is a really well written resume though and it really sums up what this thread is about. Good job, just keep a .doc and .pdf version handy. Both OpenOffice and Word will make PDFs with no extra plug-ins needed.

Alright, I feel like I have read a lot of the forum but many of what were called "good" resumes are not available. What ever happened to making a list of good resumes to use as references? Anyway, I am hoping that I can get the opinion of the community on mine.

Some people have disagreed about spelling and grammar but definitely make sure you spell VOIP correctly. There's an extra period on your network management bulletpoint and there should be a space after the colon.

This is a really well written resume though and it really sums up what this thread is about. Good job, just keep a .doc and .pdf version handy. Both OpenOffice and Word will make PDFs with no extra plug-ins needed.

Thank you for those corrections. It tends to be the simple details. I will ensure that I correct those. (Also going to edit that post)
While looking it over again I found a few more issues. (Address was misspelled and there was a space after AFB before the comma.

I was talking to an HR friend of mine and she suggested real bullets instead of tildes. I am trying to decide if it matters. The tildes make it more txt friendly IMO. Any opinions?
Also, is there anything wrong with using the terminology of "stood up?" It was questioned by my girlfriend.

Last edited:
Yeah I hate rechecking something ten times then noticing a typo after you've already uploaded it.

As for formatting I thought it was that way because you were pasting it for forum use. Definitely use bullet points. When I write my resume I don't use a template but simply center or right align my personal info and then use a font that's bold and one size higher for each header. (12 pt for the body, 14 for the headers) I also tab indent and use the bullet character instead of using automated bullet lists which sometimes put in too much space above and below the bullet list set for my liking. For hardware and software try using two columns via a table. So they are two lists side by side. It can make for easier reading and a better design.

As for stood up I don't understand the context so I guess it is a little weird, what is it you're trying to say?

updated my original post again.
No, I actually had it with the tildes. I will now be using the bullet point character. My name is 14pt the rest is 11. The headers are bold and in caps. The companies and locations are also bold. I will post it on my Gdocs in a few minutes. A real doc is worth 1000 words? As for Hardware and software, My only problem with tables is they don't convert very well.

If you don't understand and she doesn't understand than it needs to be changed. Established might work slightly better.

Link to .doc version
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1CEn9pSXnHAdeaWqijFRnQgc6JhIjw6PTR5PFpNgq5ug/edit?hl=en_US

Last edited:
Anything I should edit?

Name
Address ♦ City, State ZIP
(111)-111-111 ♦ [email protected]

WORK EXPERIENCE:

May 2011-Current XXXXXXXXXX Tysons Corner, VA
IT Consultant
● Provided desktop support to small business clients in a domain environment
● Fixed issues regarding printer and network performance/outages in a domain environment

April 2011-Current XXXXXXXXXXXX Vienna, VA
Network Administrator
● Helped select and configure a VPN and file server solution
● Resolved issues related to network/print service outages
● Monitored and improved performance of company machines

August 2010-Current XXXXXX Great Falls, VA
IT Consultant
● Resolved problems at residential and small business client’s locations
● Issues included malware, hardware failure, wireless network setup and configuration, and other general computer performance issues

SKILLS:

● Windows XP, Windows 7, Server 2003, Server 2008 R2, Ubuntu Linux, Apple iOS, Blackberry OS, VMWare
● Currently hold MCP and MCTS, studying towards CCNA and MCITP

EDUCATION & TRAINING:

George Mason University Fairfax, VA
● Currently enrolled in undergraduate program
● Working towards B.S. in I.T.
● Expected graduation in 2013

From what I've gathered from previous posts, you may want to include how many credit hours you have completed towards your BS.

Says a consultant not full time and maybe off hours?

Angry_Birds-
Maybe it would be better to just group your consulting together and maybe offer them as references. This resume seems quite short. Anything else you can add?

Other opinions?

Back