IT Resume Thread

BTW [H]orde - we are looking for a junior IT pro. Fort Lauderdale, FL, no relocation, excellent (small) company with a family atmosphere. Need someone to take over the IT side of things, building PC's, handling customer CPU builds, documenting build procedures, QA. Also handling the office stuff (simple network glitches, client-side 100%, handling small jobs handed out by myself.)

The ability to work without direction is paramount.

bobdole369 (at) gmail (dot) com

No ad yet, its coming monday.

For this part of my resume it sounds more like:

Various freelance IT (xxx County, FL)

then I listed out specific jobs that were large, memorable, particularly difficult, and some challenges overcome.

Thanks for your feedback, that sounds much better than what I currently have.

Here's a link to a sanitized version of my resume in Google Docs. Note that some formatting was lost, but nothing important or game-changing.

http://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0AYAcbH-KThNdZGd0OHR0aDNfMmZzcXdraGZ3&hl=en

Ok, here are my thoughts:

"ARTICLE I, II, III..."
I don't know where this sort of term is used but I've never seen it in a resume. Frankly, I'd let it go and just keep the heading description by itself. It took me a few seconds to figure out what that was talking about.

SUMMARY STATEMENT:
I don't care about what you "enjoy" as a hiring person. I need to know right away what kind of person I'm dealing with and this doesn't do it for me. Think of it like this; if you were to walk into an interview, the usual first question is, "so, tell me about yourself." The summary statement should be that same answer in about 1-2 sentences. They should tell the interviewer (or reader) just what sort of person you are. Are you "entry-level"? Are you a seasoned professional with 10 years of experience (and cost) under your belt? The summary statement should tell me this. Do you have a varied background or just one skillset? Etc... The fact that you're a quick-learner and a self-starter doesn't matter here much at all.

I'd add a header to your breakdown of skills next...

SKILLS LIST:
sort out these skills into major categories before starting to list them. This way I can get a better understanding of your abilities. Add measurable qualifiers to your skills. Saying "over 4 years of experience" doesn't help --neither does "approximately". It's either 4 years or it's something else. I don't need to know if it's 4.5! Don't bother listing a skill if you can't somehow qualify it with either a number of years or some other measurable factor (like an accomplishment, award, etc). The nice thing about this is that you can include years that weren't considered "professional" (being paid) as valid experience.

PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE:
Cut out all the detail within each position and use the space to flesh out your skills list. This means that the reader doesn't have to read your life story to find out if you can maintain an Exchange server or not. Each job listing can be a simple 1 or 2 line entry now.

EDUCATION:
If you're still working on your degree (which it looks like to me), try and include how far along you are like, "43 credits completed towards BS degree in Computer Science". This tells the reader much more about you than that you happen to just be a student.

REFERENCES:
Get rid of this statement. Not necessary at all.

Finally, work on breaking this down to a 1 page read. I'm sure you can pull that off given the amount of information you have there.

Good luck, and don't forget to post your continued resume development here on this thread so others can learn from it as well!!

I just wanted to thank everyone who contributed to this thread; I've been unemployed for over 6 months coming from the automotive industry trying to break into something IT related. I've used this thread almost exclusively to completely transform my resume and even continue to find ways to improve it.

I just received and accepted an offer for Jr. Systems Admin this morning and even if the salary is probably lower than market, it's still more than what I made at my last job (and only 2 miles farther!) and considering my lack of professional IT experience, it ain't too shabby.

For all those who may be having issues just getting calls from prospective employers after applying and your resume is in tip top shape, consider putting a little more time in the cover letter. I've been using a garden variety cover letter with a few tweaks for the majority of the jobs I applied for and never got a call. I decided to start from scratch for the last three openings I applied for and all three called back; it's a shame the first one I interviewed sent an offer so quickly because I would have liked to see what the others offered.

I did read them, but to be honest our resumes are complete opposites. Thanks though.

I did read them, but to be honest our resumes are complete opposites. Thanks though.

Ok well then I'll repeat what needs repeating and add what else I see...

SUMMARY:
Too long and too vague. The fact that you think you're a "Self‐directed and highly-motivated" is irrelevant. Stay with facts and measurable points. I'd reduce the summary to a 1-2 sentence statement that give the reader a quick idea of the "type" of person you are and if to keep reading. This means normally things like your level of experience, and your main area of expertise.

EDUCATION:
If your education is the number one selling point of your background, then keep it that high on your resume. If it isn't, place it further down.

TECHNICAL QUALIFICAITONS:
You must add qualifiers to your sklls such as years of experience or some other measurable way to convey your level of experience in each of the areas you have mentioned. This way I know is you're the world authority on the subject or if you watched a few tutorials on YouTube...

PROJECTS:
I would find a way to incorporate your project info into your Technical Qualifications section.

EXPERIENCE:
I would also try and trim down your work experience list to a simple title, name of company, and time period. Take your information from there and add it to your Qualifications section. Readers don't want to read your employment life history just to find out if you are an independent Java programmer!

Good luck! Don't forget to share your updated resume here so we can all learn from it!

After going through this thread I polished up my resume( I actually trimmed it down quite a bit) based on suggestions to others. I have no degree, but I did take some CIS classes at my community college, which is why I included it.

Feel free to comment!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SUMMARY

IT professional with 4 years experience supporting various network infrastructures. Highly knowledgeable in UNIX based operating systems, Cisco IOS, and internet technologies.

QUALIFICATIONS

Networking
• 2 years experience managing and troubleshooting Enterprise level Cisco equipment, 6509 multilayer switches, ASA firewalls, 7300 series routers. 2 years experience working on F5 load balancers, FortiNet firewalls, and Netscreen firewalls.

Systems
• 4 years experience managing Debian Linux, Redhat Linux, and FreeBSD servers. 2 years experience in the implementation of virtualization technologies: Xen and KVM (Kernel based virtual machine).

Software
• 4 years experience configuring and troubleshooting Apache, Bind, Postifx, MySQL, NFS, Samba, FreeRadius, and Cacti. 2 years experience managing SAN (iSCSI) services and R1Soft CDP solutions. 2 years experience scripting in Perl and Bash.

EXPERIENCE

xxxxxxxx, San Francisco, CA
April 2008 - Current
Systems Administrator

Independent Contractor xxxxxxx, San Jose, CA
November 2005 - January 2007
Systems Engineer

xxxxxxx, South San Francisco, CA
November 2003 - July 2004
IT Support Technician [internship]

xxxxxxxx, San Francisco, CA
August 1998 - January 2000
Junior Software Engineer

EDUCATION & CERTIFICATIONS

City College, San Francisco, CA
September 2003- May 2004
Computer Information Sciences
CCNA,
Cisco Certified Network Associate

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok well then I'll repeat what needs repeating and add what else I see...

SUMMARY:
Too long and too vague. The fact that you think you're a "Self‐directed and highly-motivated" is irrelevant. Stay with facts and measurable points. I'd reduce the summary to a 1-2 sentence statement that give the reader a quick idea of the "type" of person you are and if to keep reading. This means normally things like your level of experience, and your main area of expertise.

EDUCATION:
If your education is the number one selling point of your background, then keep it that high on your resume. If it isn't, place it further down.

TECHNICAL QUALIFICAITONS:
You must add qualifiers to your sklls such as years of experience or some other measurable way to convey your level of experience in each of the areas you have mentioned. This way I know is you're the world authority on the subject or if you watched a few tutorials on YouTube...

PROJECTS:
I would find a way to incorporate your project info into your Technical Qualifications section.

EXPERIENCE:
I would also try and trim down your work experience list to a simple title, name of company, and time period. Take your information from there and add it to your Qualifications section. Readers don't want to read your employment life history just to find out if you are an independent Java programmer!

Good luck! Don't forget to share your updated resume here so we can all learn from it!

thank you

After going through this thread I polished up my resume( I actually trimmed it down quite a bit) based on suggestions to others. I have no degree, but I did take some CIS classes at my community college, which is why I included it.

Feel free to comment!...

I think it looks great! Simple and straight to the point. I wouldn't change a thing.

Just as a not to all of you that are reformatting your resumes to the less-traditional layout. I'd also suggest doing a full "chronological" resume for your own records just if one is asked for. I have found that having one prepared has saved me a lot of time filling out job applications or for the HR Rep that is a stickler for stupid things.

Also, in my case where I normally change jobs once they've heard all my jokes, keeping that document around and updated really helps me remember all the work I've done in the past when preparing for an interview. Hell, my "Detailed Employment History" is 3 pages with a 9-point font!

you're the man jm, how many years of experience do you have doing what kind of technical expertise?

you're the man jm, how many years of experience do you have doing what kind of technical expertise?

LOL, it's not really something that impressive. I've been what they call a "job shopper". In essence, I'm an engineering technician / CAD tech "for hire". I have usually done jobs that only last for brief periods of time. I've often said that I change jobs once they've heard all my jokes. It's kind of the nature of the type of work I do.

For some reason I've never posted in here.
While I don't really need a resume review since I already have a perfect job I though I'd show some new people entering IT careers my resume format and outline.

I've been using this layout since 2005. It works!

https://docs.google.com/fileview?id...2UtMjE2Yi00MmZlLTg4NmUtOGM2YjhiNzRlODFi&hl=en

I would probably have you read through the last few resume reviews that have been done here before I add any more. You have a lot of the same issues as most of them.

ok here's the content from a PM i sent to Jmroberts, i'm posting at his request in the hopes it might help others who might share a similiar situation to mine

I'm just trying to get my foot in the door. I work for the VA (government run veteran's hospital), and I'm now trying to apply for an IT position with NO previous work experience in IT. I have worked for the VA for 8 years though and recently got a promotion.

anyway the job covers basic IT work, kind of like customer support only instead of manning a desk, you'll take calls and whatnot and then go out there and fix whatever, upgrade computers, and install and maintain software, blah blah blah

nothing I can't do

I have a 2 year degree in Science, and i'm on my last semester of the CCNA program and the 2nd semester of IT Essentials.

Any recommendation on how to parlay my education into getting the job?

I'm taking my CCNA, A+ and Network+ certification exams next Spring.

Thanks!

Yeah, so here's where using the "hybrid" or "combination" resume really shines when compared to a traditional "chronological" format. With the traditional resume, you're unable to convey your best selling points FIRST. The reader has to sift through all this drudge of your previous work experience to find out if you have something they're looking for (if they read that far). Instead, you can use a hybrid resume and simply put your best selling points up first. If you think that your education is your best seller, then put it right after your summary statement. Personally, I still think that a well-written skills section will do you better justice. Put your education after that. I'd throw in something like "45 credits completed towards Bs in ..." This gives the reader a handle on how far along your education is as opposed to merely informing them that you're a student somewhere.

I'm guessing there's plenty of skills involving PC support that you may have but unable to convey without doing a hybrid resume. Skills that you acquired and experience you gained outside of employment are still valid -just be prepared to explain this in an interview. There are actually some good HR people out there that will read an entire resume and find gaps of information like that and want an answer. Not a problem though...

This will allow you to show that you're capable for the job. Also, don't forget to include a skill section that somehow shows "people skills" like a "Communications" skill or something like that. Just being an uber-nerd doesn't mean you are the guy they want answering the phone when someone calls!

So flesh it out, read through this entire thread for ideas and post what you've got and I'm sure we'll help you out the best we can.

Understand this though: In large organizations, Level 1 Helpdesk techs (like the position you've described) are considered "entry-level" to begin with. This means that your little amount of qualifications may be just fine. It's a really sucky job for the most part (I put in 2 years at a Helpdesk myself). There's little emphasis on finding the most qualified people --more like finding the people that are the least expensive to hire. If they can't do the job, just escalate the problem to the level 2 or 3 techs. I'm sure it will be a both terrible and valuable experience to have. You will learn a lot about the wonderful world of troubleshooting and dealing with irate clients --a great introduction to PC support!!

Good luck!

I would probably have you read through the last few resume reviews that have been done here before I add any more. You have a lot of the same issues as most of them.
I would probably direct you to the part of my post that stated I'm not looking for reviews or suggestions on my resume format. It works.

I'm not looking for a job or just starting my career, I have a great job managing all day to day operations of a public school district.

I'm good. :rolleyes:
Thanks though.

I would probably direct you to the part of my post that stated I'm not looking for reviews or suggestions on my resume format. It works.

I'm not looking for a job or just starting my career, I have a great job managing all day to day operations of a public school district.

I'm good. :rolleyes:
Thanks though.

Well, just so we're clear, having a good job doesn't equal having a good resume. Also, having a good resume doesn't guarantee getting a good job either. Still, a good resume is better than a bad one --and it will improve your chances of landing one.

In your case, as is with most Cisco certification holders, simply mentioning your certs will usually land you a decent job (you bastard). But opening your resume with an "Objective" statement is not a good idea. Handing someone your resume pretty well indicates what your objective is so this statement is a waste of space. Better to replace it with a summary statement of about the same length. For instance, it looks to me like you are standing there with 4 years of experience under your belt. Might be a good thing to mention that right away.

Also, saying that your "working towards..." something in your Continuing Education section is not a good idea. Better to say just how far along you are in the process (usually be mentioning how many credits completed or something like that). Otherwise, it just means you don't want to tell the reader how far along you are (at least that's the way I would have read it).

Lastly, in your case, your selling point is at least right near the top of the page which is good. Most of the time, tech's like you don't have nearly as much trouble putting together a decent resume as someone that doesn't have a good work history, education, or background to pull from. That's where a hybrid resume shines.

I don't say all this to knock you down or anything my friend. I simply want people who are coming to this thread looking for resume help to get the best information possible --and your resume has some issues I'd rather not have anyone reproduce as a result. No hard feelings!

But opening your resume with an "Objective" statement is not a good idea.
This Objective area is used to modify the position title of the job I am applying for. If I am applying for a job called "systems administrator" that is what the objective will say. This way the first thing the employer will see is that your resume is tailored exactly for that position.

Handing someone your resume pretty well indicates what your objective is so this statement is a waste of space.
I disagree. Handing someone a resume means you want to work for them. But what are you applying for? And for what purpose? An objective states that very clearly.

Better to replace it with a summary statement of about the same length. For instance, it looks to me like you are standing there with 4 years of experience under your belt. Might be a good thing to mention that right away.
It's actually 5 years since my oldest job is 01/2005. But symantics aside, I am only listing my last 4 positions, regardless of the length of time. I have held more jobs than just those 4. I have also done consulting work for other districts that I don't even put on the resume just so I can keep it at 1 page (a golden rule of resumes)

Also, saying that your "working towards..." something in your Continuing Education section is not a good idea. Better to say just how far along you are in the process (usually be mentioning how many credits completed or something like that). Otherwise, it just means you don't want to tell the reader how far along you are (at least that's the way I would have read it).
I can agree here that you might look at it that way, but someone else might look at it another. Saying working towards vs listing credit hours completed is mostly personal preference. However, the CCNP is 3 tests, how would I let them know which ones I've passed or still need to take on a single line and make it clear and simple enough that a non technical HR person would understand. It's tough. so I just say I am working towards it. Take what you will from that statement.

and your resume has some issues I'd rather not have anyone reproduce as a result.
Issues according to you. My resume flow is rather nice. Name says who I am. Objective says what I want. Certs say I know what I am talking about (slash get me an interview), experience backs up my certs (no paper MCSE's here), and education is self explanatory.

No hard feelings!
None taken.

Resume writing can be very subjective and opinion-based and I do respect your views on the matter here so here are some additional thoughts about it:

This Objective area is used to modify the position title of the job I am applying for. If I am applying for a job called "systems administrator" that is what the objective will say. This way the first thing the employer will see is that your resume is tailored exactly for that position.

...I disagree. Handing someone a resume means you want to work for them. But what are you applying for? And for what purpose? An objective states that very clearly.

I disagree with your disagreement!! As said earlier, the cover letter is where you can specify what you're interested in --and I DO think that customizing your resume for each job is essential. I carefully read through the job listing and look for keywords they're looking for. Many HR people don't fully understand the type of work they're looking for (it's a rare thing for an actual manager of a certain department to be the one doing the head hunting). So, in that case, I do my best to put in keywords that match their listing (so long as it's an actual match to a skill I have). Quite often, I have a skill that I've described differently than the job listing but it's still the same thing. In that case, I'll re-write my resume to match their listing closer. In addition, I will re-arrange my skills categories to highlight the skills they're looking for. I do this by sorting them in order of importance to the job listing. Also, I will re-write my summary statement for the job I'm applying for. For instance, I will change from "Seasoned CAD Draftsman..." to "Versatile PC Technician..." depending on the job.

It's actually 5 years since my oldest job is 01/2005. But symantics aside, I am only listing my last 4 positions, regardless of the length of time. I have held more jobs than just those 4. I have also done consulting work for other districts that I don't even put on the resume just so I can keep it at 1 page (a golden rule of resumes)

While it's a good idea to keep your resume to a one page document, you're shooting yourself in the foot if you can't list all your experience. That's why it's better to keep your job history to a single line entry and have a detailed Skills section. This allows you to take advantage of additional experience as well as experience that you weren't paid for but is still a valid level of experience.

I can agree here that you might look at it that way, but someone else might look at it another. Saying working towards vs listing credit hours completed is mostly personal preference. However, the CCNP is 3 tests, how would I let them know which ones I've passed or still need to take on a single line and make it clear and simple enough that a non technical HR person would understand. It's tough. so I just say I am working towards it. Take what you will from that statement.

Yeah, this can be tough. You're totally right that the reader may very well not understand the nature of the certifications you're working towards so I can see where you're coming from.

Issues according to you. My resume flow is rather nice. Name says who I am. Objective says what I want. Certs say I know what I am talking about (slash get me an interview), experience backs up my certs (no paper MCSE's here), and education is self explanatory.

All very true. I have no trouble reading your resume and grasping quickly who you are and what level of experience you're bringing to the table (at least without the consulting work and the like). I think that your situation deems this format just fine. You have a rather steady background in the work you've done which helps your situation nicely. The problem is that many people (myself included) have an experience background that is so varied and difficult to convey that this format simply doesn't work. There are also people trying to transition from one career to anther and need to format their resume to best show this situation.

As resumes go, I've read thousands over the years. I'm used to getting bad ones and having to work hard to sift for the information I need. I'm used to unnecessary comments and un-related facts that don't do me any good. I'm used to fancy fonts and even parchment paper. I expect that most people simply haven't been instructed in good resume-writing practices (and that even most state-sponsored career centers do it poorly). So it's not too big of a deal to me to have to deal with it. It's actually a pleasant surprise when I get a good one --and by those standards yours is just fine.

Below is my current resume. Any suggestions on how I can improve it? The formating is much better in word...

I'd suggest reading through this thread as much as you can first. You have some classic issues that have been addressed here many times. Hell, even the last couple of pages should get you going.

I also wouldn't worry about how nice it looks in Word. Formatting is really not that important in IT resumes. Now, if you're an artist looking for an art-based position, maybe...

That link looks like it's password protected to me so I can't view the PDF. Can you paste the text of the cover letter here?

ohh sorry about that, my questions is just when submitting a cover letter online what do you do about signing it?

this is a vanilla cover letter i was told you can use:

123 Main Street
Hagerstown, MD 21740
January 10, 2008
Mary Jones
Human Resources Director
American Insurers
2500 Brook Avenue
Boston, MA 00215
Dear Ms. Jones:
I am writing to express my interest in {name of company and position, job title, or program}. I
became aware of your {the position} opening through {contact person who you received the
employment lead from and their job title, newspaper advertisement and the date of issue,
Internet site, or other source}. {The person above and/or the applicant} feels that I would be
a strong candidate for the {title} position based on the requirements your company has listed.
For more than two years I have been {briefly describe your actions}. I have worked in all
sections of the {examples of work experience}. This May, I will be graduating from Johnson &
Wales University with my {degree}. {Company} interests me because {list information about
the company important to your decision in applying there or put information found
through researching the company}.
My enclosed resume further details my work experience, academic history, and additional
training.
I feel confident that an interview would demonstrate my enthusiasm and abilities. I am looking
forward to meeting you and will call to follow up on this letter next week. You may contact me at
(401) 597-1111 or by email at {email address}. Thank you for considering me for the {position,
job title, or program}.
Sincerely, (Closing)
(Your written signature in blue or black ink)
Thomas L. Smith (Your name typed)
Enclosure

Yeah, that cover letter looks fine to me. I'd personally lose some of the flowery wording and just get straight to the point myself. Something like...

My name is XXX and I'm interested in your open position of YYY as listed in ZZZ and have enclosed my resume with this message. As my resume will show, I have __ years experience in ( ) and [blah blah blah]...

If you have any questions or would like to schedule an interview, please feel free to contact me anytime at...

The main importance of the cover letter is to quickly tie your resume to keywords in the job listing. Obviously you can't add a signature to a digital letter. There's truly no need though. It's not a contract or anything!!

You could always print, sign, and scan the cover letter. Obviously you'd have to do that for each cover letter if they're tailored to the position you're applying for. Or you could scan your signature alone and embed it in your cover letter document. I've scanned a letter of recommendation so that I can push it around electronically if the need arises.

Dinner first for me, and then I think I'm going to post my résumé/resume here so y'all can tear it apart. (I hope!)

edit: my résumé can be found here and I'd love any feedback I could get. Thanks [H].

Last edited:
Been skimming through the thread. I've decided to start building my resume' starting today.....bad thing is I have only had two jobs my whole life, not counting fixing family and friends computers, with the occasional random person that had heard about me.

My current job I have had since March '06 in a management position at an Auto Parts store. I am ASE certified, and that is the only certification I have, nothing in the computer field yet. I am in my last year of a four year degree in Computer Info Systems. All my electives have been network and network security related. I really enjoy that area, and hope to find a job in that field. Hopefully this year I will have obtained my CCNA, and Security+ certs, but I want to get my resume out there now.

Should I list the ASE cert? Should I wait until I have my CCNA before trying to get a new job?

Nothing wrong with that at all Ryan. Some employers are looking for people just like you. It's how I got started myself in the "business" of PC's... Not everyone is looking for a high wadge demanding seasoned guy with 5-10 years of experience --and you're going to have to start somewhere. The nice thing about the hybrid resume we show here so much is that your experience is valid weather you're being paid for it or not. So this means that you can list your skills and include the years of experience even if your "employment history" doesn't match it. Just be ready to answer for that in the interview --and it better be a well-rehearsed answer. Try it out on friends and family to make sure your answers are thoughtful and truthful but still work at selling yourself to these guys.

I'd list the cert you have -even if it's not related. You're selling your character and abilities so showing any certs only help you. I'd include your college education and indicate how far along you are... "54 credits completed towards BS degree in ..." This way they know if you JUST started school or are close to graduating...

Should you wait to put your resume together? Not at all. It can't hurt to have it in place and only need updating rather than starting from scratch. It also may land you a good entry-level position that will be a better place to work than your present job.

If you haven't yet, I'd find some people that are already working in the exact position you think you may want to land. Buy them lunch or a cup of coffee and drill them on their job. Find out not only HOW they got the job but what a typical day is like, what the environment is like, how the lifestyle is around this type of position, etc... You may learn that this job is not for you or you may find out that even if it takes you another 10 years to get there, nothing will stop you! For me, I found out after hanging out with the network admins at the company where I was working the helpdesk that I absolutely did NOT want that job! I like working with the people and clients that make every call different and challenging. The network admins NEVER see people. In fact, the better you do your job, the less you will see anyone! I decided that this was not the career path I wanted at all. Glad I found this out before I got there! Anyways, you may have needed to hear this or not but I felt the need to put it up here...

Good luck and keep us all posted!!

my résumé can be found here and I'd love any feedback I could get. Thanks [H].

Ok, first of all, get it down on one page. Get rid of the objective. Read through this thread (sorry, I know it's a long one). Convert your resume to what's called a "hybrid resume" format.

In short, don't make me read through your life history just to find out if you can manage an Exchange server. Resume readers don't care to know your "story" --they have a specific set of questions they need answers and your resume should get them those answers as quickly as possible...

- The first thing a resume reader is looking for is the general level of experience you're coming from. Usually this breaks into a few categories:

1. Entry Level
2. Non-manager / Mid-level
3. Expert / Supervisory

Your summary statement at the beginning of the resume should get that information out there right away. If someone's looking for an entry-level tech and they see "10 years experience..." they know not to read any further. Likewise, if you're the guy they're looking for, they'll know right away if you're in their classification of experience they're seeking.

Next, they need to find out if you have specific skills within the trade. Don't make the reader sift through your detailed work history just to find out if you can support Mac's or manage a T1 connection. That's where having a clearly identified skills section helps. Sort out your skills into major categories and then spell out your skills in measurable ways (usually years of experience but not always).

After that, your work history can be a single line for each job --although after a well-written skills section, it will be rarely read with too much attention. Just list your position, title, location, and dates of employment. There's a bunch of examples and discussion in this thread that will help you out as well. Good luck and be sure to share your resume as it develops here!!

Thanks Jon...I should be starting on my resume tomorrow. For now, I think I may get some sleep as it is 12:47am... There is a large company here, CenturyLink, and then not too far off there is Lockheed. Expect many questions from me, however I will finish reading this entire thread before I begin rambling.

Here is an extreme rough draft of my resume.

I am unsure on how to include that I am going to try to obtain my CCNA and Security+ certifications this semester.

As for employment for the pet store, I'm the guy they call for anything computer related, on a weekly basis. Is the job title appropriate?

Resume on GoogleDocs

I am unsure on how to include that I am going to try to obtain my CCNA and Security+ certifications this semester.

As for employment for the pet store, I'm the guy they call for anything computer related, on a weekly basis. Is the job title appropriate?

Resume on GoogleDocs

"Sorry, the page (or document) you have requested is not available."

Is the URL correct?

/QUOTE]

Yes, but what you should be doing is putting that you are self-employed. Then in the specific entries you can say

"Provide IT support to local area pet store consisting of 24 computers and X number of employees"

Get rid of the outside interests.

You should switch to a functional based resume if you want to use a Summary of your Achievements.

How do you submit a cover letter if you are applying online, this is what i was told you use as a format, how do you sign it and all that?

https://careertools.jwu.edu/uploadedFiles/Resources/Vanilla Cover Letter.pdf

Always put a cover letter with a resume. Make your resume and cover letter one file with your resume on the first page and CV letter on the second page.

It does not matter if the job only ask for the resume, always and I mean always submit a cover letter.

Back