It Costs $1.36 To Charge An iPad For A Year

HardOCP News

[H] News
Apple users around the globe are replacing all the light bulbs in their houses with iPads and iPhones. Think of all the money they will save! :rolleyes:

The annual cost to charge an iPad is just $1.36, according to the Electric Power Research Institute, a non-profit research and development group funded by electric utilities.

Lets see according to apple the battery has a capacity of 42.5 Watt-hours, and lets assume the average electricity rate is 12 cents per kWh, so that means 11.3 kWh used to cost $1.36, or the average battery was fully discharged 266 times in a year, christ how often do people use their dam ipads that they need to be recharged a little less than once a day.

This is for "normal" usage though.

I bet those who use it primarily for gaming and watching videos at least doubles the cost of charging.

The next big question is.. how many times can an iPad battery be recharged before you have to shell out hundreds to get it replaced?

The next big question is.. how many times can an iPad battery be recharged before you have to shell out hundreds to get it replaced?
Couldn't say, but a 1000 cycle life is typical for Apple's batteries. That's not to say you're going to get 10 hours out of it by the 900th cycle, but I'm guessing they'll still hold a decent charge after that many.

Pretty impressive. Low power consumption and lower heat output.

On hot days I will turn off my servers and main rig with dual monitors to reduce the oven like feel of my computer room. I use an Android tablet to do whatever I can.

And is worthless information is useful how?

They were trying to figure out if tablet use made a difference in power usage, like did it cause people to use desktops and laptops less or about the same, and if it didn't how much load does it add to overall system.

Getting a kick out of this - even if you double those number it's still pretty impressive.

I've been playing with my Kill-A-Watt - and so far I've discovered to keep my i5 15" monitor running and downloading torrents wirelessly it takes about 15-17W of energy. pretty damn good.

My main rig? I don't have precise numbers but it usually costs about $1 per 24 hours of use. Depending on what I'm doing. my 6970 crossfire config and 5 hard drives isn't going to win any efficiency contests, but they are plenty fast :)

With 105F temps approaching next week - I only run my desktop for a few hours a day unless Im off that day. Sucks paying for that energy then paying for more energy on top of that to cool things off. Texas summers suck.

I bet those who use it primarily for gaming and watching videos at least doubles the cost of charging.

Since you're on the website, I know you're capable of doing it yourself. You can get iPad batteries on ebay/amazon for under $40.

None of my nanos or iPod Touches last more than a few hours after a full charge, and I rarely used them. Maybe 50 charges each. Thats over $1000 of now fairly useless junk. I wouldn't care if it cost 5 cents to charge them a million times. Not going to buy another Apple gadget again.

None of my nanos or iPod Touches last more than a few hours after a full charge, and I rarely used them. Maybe 50 charges each. Thats over $1000 of now fairly useless junk. I wouldn't care if it cost 5 cents to charge them a million times. Not going to buy another Apple gadget again.

You mean rechargeable batteries degrade over time? This is news.

And it only cost you 109$ to replace the whole ipad when the battery dies.... wow... that's actualy quite cheap... when my shuffle died the service fee to replace the battery was as much as buying a new one.

I call BS! Quit hating just to hate, makes you look ugly.

I was betting on either you or techrat that would start the hating first. Looks like I was wrong. :(

I was busy! :(

Got to keep people off the path of crapidity! :D (well, unless they release a good product...without screwing people, which wont happen...)

After your post?

Yes, it did. :)

Getting a kick out of this - even if you double those number it's still pretty impressive.

I've been playing with my Kill-A-Watt - and so far I've discovered to keep my i5 15" monitor running and downloading torrents wirelessly it takes about 15-17W of energy. pretty damn good.

My main rig? I don't have precise numbers but it usually costs about $1 per 24 hours of use. Depending on what I'm doing. my 6970 crossfire config and 5 hard drives isn't going to win any efficiency contests, but they are plenty fast :)

With 105F temps approaching next week - I only run my desktop for a few hours a day unless Im off that day. Sucks paying for that energy then paying for more energy on top of that to cool things off. Texas summers suck.

I can sympathize having lived in Texas for a few years ~2001 - 2005 and when I was there, I got interested in low-power computing because of how much electricty it was taking to feed and cool computers. I had VIA C3 replacements for a few socket 370 PCs, started switching back to integrated graphics, and using laptops instead of desktops. That was pretty much the end of most of gaming for me because of the much slower computer hardware.

APPLE IS GAY LOLOL

There, has the quota been filled for this thread yet? :p

Hundreds?

Apple will ship you a replacement iPad for $99 if you don't want to do it yourself.

If you do want to do it yourself, it's $25 and that even includes a complete toolkit for the job.

Hundreds?

Apple will ship you a replacement iPad for $99 if you don't want to do it yourself.

If you do want to do it yourself, it's $25 and that even includes a complete toolkit for the job.

Well, that is a nice surprise.

I've been pretty surprised at the battery life of the Ipad 2. We use it to let our (young) son watch shows while we drive and my wife uses it to VNC into her desktop so she can use her computer while not actually siting at it. Its gets used alot.

And that damn thing always seems to be at 70-80% full when I put it on the charger.

I call BS! Quit hating just to hate, makes you look ugly.

If you don't to believe I spent $450 to have a launch gen 1 iPod Touch plus hundreds of dollars on countless other iPods because my daughter and girlfriend wanted them over the years.

Fine. I must be some Apple hater that has never owned Apple products and just makes stuff up to get off on tech forums.

If you won't accept the fact that within a few months of owning any of them we were all charging the damn things every single day to get a few hours of use, that fine too. Or the fact there is no Apple store for more than 350 kms from where I live. Or that I was told to get warranty I'd have to mail my Touch to California. There is no way I'm going to rip apart any small device to replace the battery, because I would ruin it.

I just bought an Acer Iconia A200 the other day for $250. Why? Thats what they charge for a battery replacement in town for an iPad, and they often scratch the hell out of stuff they fix here. At least at that price if it craps out, I don't have another $500 paperweight.

Anyway, call BS all you want. My ego doesn't revolve around you believing me.

$1.36/day at 10 cents/kW-hr. running 24 hours/day means the guy's rig is pulling 567 W on average. That sounds reasonable for a dual-video carded gaming rig.

iPad's also feature only 1000 full charging cycles. Enough for the average user basically.

$1.36/day at 10 cents/kW-hr. running 24 hours/day means the guy's rig is pulling 567 W on average. That sounds reasonable for a dual-video carded gaming rig.

If he's gaming 24 hours a day, sure. The man's gotta sleep sometime, doesn't he? :p

Back