Issue with Server 2008 R2 RDP

saedrin

2[H]4U
Hi guys, I have a current issue with my 2008 R2 machine that is driving me crazy.. No matter what I do, I cannot get Remote Desktop to work. Client machine is Windows 7 Ultimate, windows firewall on the Server machine is disabled, Telnet to port 3389 works (as in, it doesn't error out it gives me a blank screen), the account I'm trying to login to is the only account on the machine (Administrator). Remote Desktop service is installed and set to allow connections on the less secure mode.

Ideas?

Yeah, sorry to forget that. Connected through a switch. This all worked before when the server was running Vista so I doubt it's a network issue.

Have you tried using a different client computer?
I've found in some cases you must add the user to the Remote Desktop Users group even when they're part of the admin group.

try doing this,

exmple ip : 192.168.2.8:3389 see what it does.

Put ^^ that into the rdp client on the win7 machine.

Have you tried using a different client computer?
I've found in some cases you must add the user to the Remote Desktop Users group even when they're part of the admin group.

Tried another machine, no dice. Added Administrator to RDC users list, no dice.

try doing this,

exmple ip : 192.168.2.8:3389 see what it does.

Put ^^ that into the rdp client on the win7 machine.

Same error. It can see the machine just fine, it's just not 'allowed' to connect or something.

so you are asked to login in or can't connect at all?

Well it asks me for user name, I enter the correct credentials, and get "This computer can't connect to the remote computer" instant error.

Are you sure that account is the admin account? I've had that happen when I tried connecting with a non-admin account or an account that did not have the proper rights to connect through RDC.

Administrator is the default admin account for server 2008 r2, I've never made another account since it sits in my basement serving files.

Hmm, interesting. You say when the server was running Vista, what do you mean by that? You were using a Vista box to host your files and you migrated everything to Server 2008R2 or you had a Vista box that would connect to the Server 2008R box?

Is there any messages in the event viewer?

I was running Vista on it previously, since I've had the same machine since ~2007 doing the same task. Just recently moved to Server 2008 R2. I'll check the event viewer..

Is this a dell system? The desktop that is.

Nope, haven't bought hardware from a vendor in over a decade.

what's that got to do with any thing ?

Can you go to the actual machine and try rdp'ing to it from it ?

Same error.

As for the logs, here's what I've seen:

Untitled.png

The 8:30 access is RDP from the server to the server. The 7:30 access is me trying remotely.

Because some Dell systems running windows 7 had a network card bug, that prevented remote desktop from working.

Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the service? It could have just been a bug on the initial install of the OS.

oh, I have seen this one before myself and never managed to get to the bottom of it.

Wow...I thought buying Dell meant you wouldn't have to deal with weird component compatibility issues like this.

Is the 2008R2 a VM? (I assume not).

Try disabling TCP offloading on the server NIC.

What is the model of network card your using in this rig?

Also can i get a screen of the details on the error. The last 4 bytes should tell us what is causing the error to throw.

Wow...I thought buying Dell meant you wouldn't have to deal with weird component compatibility issues like this.

I have a latitude 6510 w/ docking base. I have gone through 5 monitors and another dock and still have buggy display issues. I am out of onsite warranty and dell want my laptop for 7-10 days to replace the mobo.:mad:

No OEM is perfect, a few are very close though.

What does it show as client IP for the Server-Server?

I'm not sure where I'd find that information.. In the System Logs I get "The following fatal alert was generated: 20. The internal error state is 960." when I do server-server, I get that one and one more when I try connecting through a remote machine: "The Terminal Server security layer detected an error in the protocol stream and has disconnected the client. Client IP: fe80:0000:0000:0000:78a7:3135:f3d8:f6d4.".

Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the service? It could have just been a bug on the initial install of the OS.

One of the first things I tried with no luck.

Is the 2008R2 a VM? (I assume not).

Try disabling TCP offloading on the server NIC.

Tried that, no change.

What is the model of network card your using in this rig?

Also can i get a screen of the details on the error. The last 4 bytes should tell us what is causing the error to throw.

Marvell Yukon 88E8056 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller (onboard NIC).

Main event ID is 36888, the addition event ID when I try to connect remotely is 56. Is there somewhere else I should look other than the Diagnostics/Event Viewer/Windows Logs/System menu?

Site seems to be down.

How come it shows the ipv6 address in the log?

No idea. :confused: The machine has a static IPv4 address set, but this has never caused an issue for me before.

When you say "Remote Desktop Services is installed" .....did you install the RDP services (ie old terminal services stuff)...I just built a new office with 2008R2 Foundation and didnt have to install the RDP services, just had to right click my computer and go to remote and enable it (with less security like you mentioned)

Back