Issue with Mr.Pickles -

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its not an TIM error, its must likely the mounting of the heatsink was not correctly seated.

or because I did not clean the previous TIM with alcohol.

You have to clean both the chip and the sink of previous TIM before applying new. The old crusty stuff will prevent a good seal.

wow...scary. would it be possible that you messed up applying the new thermal paste?

That arrived like that. It was hitting to over 100C even before I applied the thermal paste or took the heatsink off.

either way, it looks like it is working fine now so hopefully you will get to enjoy that card soon

Sometimes after a re-thermal paste and you have to screw the heatsink back on, depending on how you screw it (usually light tension diagonally), one of the side of the screw may not align with the threads on the mount so it's got a gap in between the copper plate and the gpu ihs.

Sometimes after a re-thermal paste and you have to screw the heat sink back on, depending on how you screw it (usually light tension diagonally), one of the side of the screw may not align with the threads on the mount so it's got a gap in between the copper plate and the gpu ihs.

This happened when I was installing a aftermarket HS on a 8800GT 512m. I re installed and it worked. On this though... I offered a exchange and he milked me for $25. I want my $25 back for wasting my time or a prepaid label. Take it or leave it. Every time you argue the price goes up for the frustration factor. You insult me, make another attack, or give me some story. The price goes up. Use this thread. No PMs, texts, or emails. You know my address. I am waiting for your response.

This happened when I was installing a aftermarket HS on a 8800GT 512m. I re installed and it worked. On this though... I offered a exchange and he milked me for $25. I want my $25 back for wasting my time or a prepaid label. Take it or leave it. Every time you argue the price goes up for the frustration factor. You insult me, make another attack, or give me some story. The price goes up. Use this thread. No PMs, texts, or emails. You know my address. I am waiting for your response.

I am not insulting you. I can not even talk to you, whatever I say, you are like this is my term,this is what I want. What happens to 3 sleepless day I spent for this? What happens to return shipping I paid? And what happens to money I spent for thermal paste? What happens to 35 days and I still have no working card? You made this hard, and you expect me to pay all the price. Please send my card, and I will send refund you half the money you sent me.

$30

I want resolution to this mess just as bad as you. I have my terms and sticking to them. You denied a exchange which I would have done in the first place but you seem to not understand what I tell you. You are now wasting my time. Label or money. Next time it is just me asking for the money that you obviously like wasting. The card is fixed and you failed when you tried to fix it. If you did not have everything or have never done this before. Then you should have PM'd me then about it. Now it is too late to be playing the sob story with me. Be a grown up take the lumps of your bad decisions. You had multiple outs and squandered each one. You are the only one holding up the final push for you to get the card. Are you sending a label or are you paying me? Simple question with a simple answer.

And what you dont understand, I did not pay for something I had to fix. I paid something, it should have been working out of box. I will not pay more than $12.5 . Thats my terms and I am sticking. You wanna keep the card as well, you can keep it. Not that I need $12, but it is my principle. I am not gonna let you bully me. An continue this, I will take legal action in a few weeks when I come CA for training.

$30

I want resolution to this mess just as bad as you. I have my terms and sticking to them. You denied a exchange which I would have done in the first place but you seem to not understand what I tell you. You are now wasting my time. Label or money. Next time it is just me asking for the money that you obviously like wasting. The card is fixed and you failed when you tried to fix it. If you did not have everything or have never done this before. Then you should have PM'd me then about it. Now it is too late to be playing the sob story with me. Be a grown up take the lumps of your bad decisions. You had multiple outs and squandered each one. You are the only one holding up the final push for you to get the card. Are you sending a label or are you paying me? Simple question with a simple answer.

Just stick it in medium usps priorty box which is 10.30 when paid online.

You love arguing, dont you?

As I repeat myself I offered a out in way of exchange. You did not take it. So I take it that you are sending me a prepaid label. Good. I don't want this card. It is in the same box packed in a similar fashion that you shipped to me. Still should be 3 pounds. I am not putting another dime of my money into this.

Alright I will send you label when I get home.

Just as a reminder. You have video proof that the card is working. If the card is damaged in transit. You will have to take it up with them, so make sure you have insurance on the package. I am claiming no liability for damage while being shipped. I packed it almost the same way I received it, just with a couple more pieces of tape. If you want pictures of the box I will be glad to post them here. Now that the issue is resolved I expect the negative heat to be reversed to neutral in the least. I am sure you already accept this but a response would be nice to know where you stand.

TurK-FX,let me know when you receive the card and Ill open the thread so you can post an update.
Until that time, no more comments are needed

Here we are again. This card still overheats. I run kombuster and within seconds, it reach to100degree.

youtube video on the bottom of the post. I dont know what to say. I dont want to accuse him, but looks like some1 is trying to be sleek. I have one idea how would this happen after he posted the video running the card around 65C.

http://youtu.be/MRk-FR6OVtE

Here we are again. This card still overheats. I run kombuster and within seconds, it reach to100degree.

youtube video on the bottom of the post. I dont know what to say. I dont want to accuse him, but looks like some1 is trying to be sleek. I have one idea how would this happen after he posted the video running the card around 65C.

Have you tried making custom fan settings in the config? Give that a shot. What is your room temperature, case, ventilation, etc.

I don't know much about graphics cards (I don't game) but I have to wonder -- where is the temperature sensor that's picking up this info? If it's physically located on the card that's one thing, but if it's somewhere else (eg on the motherboard), that may account for the discrepancy.

Also, I've heard many tales of those sensors (cheap thermistors, actually) dying after a period of time and putting out some wacky bullshit info... I'm inclined, however, to say that's not exactly what's happening here because if it were the card would report 100deg temperatures in both systems. Maybe there's a driver something that's not reading the sensor right? Dunno.

I think that the card had the heatsink shaken loose during transit. To be honest I thought this was just going to done, after reading this I threw my hands in the air and was/am wondering what could have done it now.

Again, pardon me being obtuse -- but don't most graphics cards have a very strong mounting system so that the HSF *can't* just "get loose" without actual effort...?

Also -- Turk, do you have a multimeter? It occurs to me that a PSU on its way out, could do this as well. Too high a voltage on the +12v line could screw up the card, easy... I know this is different, but I had an external CD drive once, where the brick for it was putting out about +24v on the +12v line. The drive *worked* but was real flakey... that's the exception, though, rather than the rule -- but if the VRegs on that card are doing more work than they're used to, that'll definitely up temps. I swear there isn't a single-chip voltage regulator in the world that doesn't get hot enough to boil water on... it almost makes me think they've all got a little steam engine inside, lol.

Wow. Just the way you two both handled this puts both of you on my DNT list.

However, Pickles, the way you, very clearly stated that "you have proof, if you have issues, take it up with USPS, I'm packing it bare minimum" makes it sound like you may have vandalized the card in order to "teach him a lesson" as you've been preaching. Obviously, no proof on that, but it comes off very suspicious.

Turk, if I were you, I'd simply admit that you screwed up reapplying the TIM, get some rubbing alcohol, clean it all off and reapply. If that doesnt work, claim USPS insurance and do an RMA.

You both are being kind of ridiculous. Especially when the package was insured. I can honestly say that you've both probably wasted more time than the card was worth at this point.

Wow. Just the way you two both handled this puts both of you on my DNT list.

However, Pickles, the way you, very clearly stated that "you have proof, if you have issues, take it up with USPS, I'm packing it bare minimum" makes it sound like you may have vandalized the card in order to "teach him a lesson" as you've been preaching. Obviously, no proof on that, but it comes off very suspicious.

Turk, if I were you, I'd simply admit that you screwed up reapplying the TIM, get some rubbing alcohol, clean it all off and reapply. If that doesnt work, claim USPS insurance and do an RMA.

You both are being kind of ridiculous. Especially when the package was insured. I can honestly say that you've both probably wasted more time than the card was worth at this point.

As being an adult, I have no reason to be spiteful. The card originaly was packed in the exact packing from asus RMA. I then shipped it the same way I received it, which should have been plenty good.

Have no idea what the issue might be but noticed that right around the 44,45,46 second mark, the card does not cool down after GPU load has been removed. In all tests I've ever done with my cards, Nvidia or AMD, they've quickly, very quickly dropped temps right after GPU load was removed. The video didn't show very long after 46 seconds what the temps were. But, thought it was odd it didn't drop almost immediately when GPU load was removed.

I don't want to imply anything here, but Turk-FX, I gotta ask this since I know you run a couple mining rigs and I can see right in the background of the video you posted... are you absolutely sure you are running that card at bone stock factory settings?

For all we know you might have Afterburner setting the fan speed to some artificially low value instead of "Auto" and the fan never ramps up when the test starts and the GPU load hits, or it even might be something as silly as the version of Afterburner you're using might not play nice with that particular card. It could even be that you have some settings from a previous card that you tested and they're saved in Afterburner being applied right at bootup, and that's what's causing the bad results.

Make absolutely certain fan speed is set to auto. Hell, make sure Afterburner isn't even loaded, and make sure the Catalyst defaults are set before you try to test again.

For all that's going on here, this might just be a big misunderstanding because of a small testing oversight.

I don't want to imply anything here, but Turk-FX, I gotta ask this since I know you run a couple mining rigs and I can see right in the background of the video you posted... are you absolutely sure you are running that card at bone stock factory settings?

For all we know you might have Afterburner setting the fan speed to some artificially low value instead of "Auto" and the fan never ramps up when the test starts and the GPU load hits, or it even might be something as silly as the version of Afterburner you're using might not play nice with that particular card. It could even be that you have some settings from a previous card that you tested and they're saved in Afterburner being applied right at bootup, and that's what's causing the bad results.

Make absolutely certain fan speed is set to auto. Hell, make sure Afterburner isn't even loaded, and make sure the Catalyst defaults are set before you try to test again.

For all that's going on here, this might just be a big misunderstanding because of a small testing oversight.

I second this.

This has to be some sort of profile settings that causes the fan to spin very slow or increased voltage etc. Try a clean install of the O.S with the video card.

I will check this out when I get home. But I am pretty sure clock speed is correct. I checked it and it was 890 or 895. But I will check the fan settings

I will check this out when I get home. But I am pretty sure clock speed is correct. I checked it and it was 890 or 895. But I will check the fan settings

check it for sure..at that temperature, the fan should sound like an airplane on takeoff....and I dont hear it at all in that video....

check it for sure..at that temperature, the fan should sound like an airplane on takeoff....and I dont hear it at all in that video....

I also was going to mention this when I posted, but given it's a DC2 that's not necessarily true - assuming it was doing its job. Anecdotal: I've had TwinFrozr's at full load which sound barely louder than at idle. However at 100° the fans should be hitting 80% or more, and even a DC2 should be plainly audible in that video.

After making sure that the settings are correct and the fan is spinning up correctly, I would, as StarHawk

pointed out, check your PCIe voltage settings coming from the power supply. Also check your bios

voltage settings being sent to the PCIe buss. Something is amiss here and I have to think it is what most

are saying; either something in the settings or something in the voltage being delivered to the card.

to me
I dont know how, but this card still overheats. I just put it in and run the kombuster within 10 sec, It hit to 102C. I started to think, there is an issue with the heatsink or something and your test was with the heatsink from the other card.

2:31 PM (8 hours ago)

to turk
I used the same heatsink that came to me. I am starting to think that there is a weakpoint of how ASUS made these cards. As you and I know there is only 4 screws that retain the card to the HS. What I am thinking is happening is that they are disconnecting some how and making air bubbles in the thermal contact. I am going to go test if I wiggle the HS on my card and see if I can reproduce the issue. I am off work for the day. So I should be able to let you know within 30 minutes of you getting this.

3:30 PM (7 hours ago)

to turk
Sorry for taking so long, but it seems that it does wiggle off a little. I had to clean and reapply. Seems ASUS never thought that a HS that was this large would need more retaining screws and whatnot.

I sent him these two emails some time ago and still don't have a responce.

Well, I just deleted any software would interfere with the cards setting. Deleted the driver and re-install them all. Run Kombuster at 100%fan speed. Result was same. Only difference, it hit to 101c, and not in first 10 seconds but slowly.=[

That may be true, but these cards are moved a ton between manufacturing and original shipment/storage and I dont believe they all get RMA'd over heat issues.

I did not see pictures of packaging, but that may have a lot to do with it. Just a thought.

11:33 PM (11 hours ago)

to me
I tried to uninstalled all the softwares like trixx, afterburner and drivers and re-install them, but still no luck.

I am not sure how we are gonna resolve this. It has been 50days, since money is taken out of my account, and I still dont have a working card. This card already cost me $200 and I am not gonna spend another dollar for aftermarket heatsink.

11:08 AM (0 minutes ago)

to turk
It was obviously damaged during transit. Did you take insurance?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back