Issue with Mr.Pickles -

Status
Not open for further replies.

TurK-FX

2[H]4U
I bought this Asus Radeon 6970 DCII here. I paid via money order since seller was a long time member here. Money cleared from my checking account and 2/25, he PMed me saying what is your address the same moment money was cleared from my account. I waited 3-4 days, asked for a tracking#. he was regularly coming online ever day(I checked his profile), but he ignored me. After a week, I sent him an email stating I will call my bank and file a froud. He immediately called me. He said his roommate was supposed to ship, but he did not, and he would ship it the next day. 2 more day past by and still no tracking, so I called and left him voice mail, and he called me back saying money is not cleared yet. I checked my bank account online, and it was cleared on my side a week ago. He gave me crap about it takes 10 days to clear. Anyways, he Promised to expedite the shipping march 7th(money cleared from my account Feb 25th) So I took his word. Then on 7th he shipped via UPS ground and i Got the package on March 18th. I tested the card march 19th and it was overheating. I wanted to return, but he forced me to re-apply the thermal paste. So since March 19th, I been trying to resolve this issue. I got Artic cooling ceramic paste and card runs over 100C within 30sec of running MSI Kombuster test.

First he told me to replace with the other 6970 he has which runs 65C under 100%stress, Now he is telling me sale is as-is and he is done with me. So I am hoping.

I am still hoping he will be reasonable and resolve this issue. But what is my options? I am from NJ, but occasionally go to California, about 1hour away from where he lives. I am thinking to file a fraud with his Local PD and also report to FBI for FRAUD at this link. Also When I go to California, I will meet with the cops at his location.

I have his address, I can get his bank account info from my bank. And I have his cell number, name, email and text correspondence etc..

Any other idea how can I resolve this issue? It has been almost a month, Can I still go to my bank and file a fraud?

And please someone let him know about this, so he stop ignoring me.

Return Tracking Info

Fedex Ground# 798340506610
I was going to return it via usps Priority medium flat rate, but since the seller is picky, I wanted it to have enough padding, So i had a bigger box with a lot of bubble wrap around the card and a lot of shipping peanut in the box. So I had to use Fedex.

Last edited:
Only payment methods accepted are Amazon payments, money order and check.

That would have been it for me right there....you have absolutely NO protection with any of those payment methods....Ill send him a PM to get his side of the story, but your pretty screwed as it reads right now.

He has been around f9r 10 years, I though he is an honest seller. I spoke to some1 and I can still file a claim with my bank. This would take 6 months to get my money completely back but worth a try. If he doesnt make this right. I will take that route.

Mr.Pickles said:
Only payment methods accepted are Amazon payments, money order and check.
That would have been it for me right there....you have absolutely NO protection with any of those payment methods....Ill send him a PM to get his side of the story, but your pretty screwed as it reads right now.

Of these 3, Amazon Payments with major credit card or debit card is safest by far. Best of these is debit. If you do it that way and file a chargeback you'll have your money next business day with many major banks. Then they will just tell you to send it back to the seller with signature required. If you abuse this protection they will come after you, though. Do not pay by bank account using Amazon Payments. Takes forever and zero protection.

YMMV but I would never file a chargeback unless it was pretty much a last resort, or I was dealing with a really big retailer that was being completely incompetent or sent me a dead mobo back per NE returns thread, something like that. Around here I wouldn't do it unless it was the end of the line, and it looks to me like you have reached that point on this transaction.

Unless you were Uncle Vito I wouldn't pay any other way but Paypal or Amazon with debit/credit.

He has been around f9r 10 years, I though he is an honest seller. I spoke to some1 and I can still file a claim with my bank. This would take 6 months to get my money completely back but worth a try. If he doesn't make this right. I will take that route.

If he has been ignoring you, I would take whatever action you deem necessary rather quickly.

The longer you wait, the harder it will be

He is how it wPayPal.
Buyer offers $170 via check on asking price of $180.
I take the offer.
I receive the check a week later.
WaiyingWaiting for funds to clear.
Wells Fargo says 10 days on this check.
Waiting for funds to clear.
Seller contacts me about that the payment cleared on his end. It has yet to clear on mine. He threatens to ccharge back the check and demands a refund. I told him that I will refund when the money clears Friday.
I the get a call that he will take the card.
I ship Friday via ups ground because of that is what I was closest to. I send the buyer a text picture of the package ready to be shipped with the tracking number. Buyer thanks me.
When buyer received the card, he demands a refund for the shipping price. I let him know that I am unwilling to do that.
Buyer says that the card is overheating the next day. Demands a refund. I tell him that it is only the thermal paste. Buyer wants $25 for thermal paste. I pay through PayPal.
Buyer then demands refund. I tell him no after he flip flops and carries a bully like mentality when communicating.
Buyer makes this thread in response filled with more threats. I admit some fault of not wanting to deal with him because of the manner of how talked to me.

I am tired of being strung along here. If you want a refund you are getting $150 after I test the card. If the card is only overheating then I will clean and try new thermal paste. If that doesn't fix it then I will refund. If it does then you incorrectly did it and will just send the card back.

Mr.Pickles, thanks for the response and the additional details.
I see no reason this cannot be worked out with a bit of communication from the both of you ......

He is now unblocked on my cell. I am now at work until 11pm PST. As long as he remains professional.

Sorry as I am posting from my phone.

Last edited:
He is now unblocked on my cell. I am now at work until 11pm PST. As long as he remains professional.

Sorry as I am posting from my phone.

I stayed professional all deal long. Your are the one unprofessional. You keep saying you are busy working a lot. U have no reason to block me. I paid you and you should be in communication until the deal finalize. I shouldn't be running after you and trying to find a way to take your attention. I will be shipping this to the same address I sent the check Monday or Tuesday. Was it really hard to say that payment is not cleared when io sent you like a PM everydaty after you asked my address? You have a time to log in, but no 30 sec to respond?

Are you going the card or not? I am not here to sling mud. I stated my terms. Like it or leave it.

I bought this Asus Radeon 6970 DCII here. I paid via money order since seller was a long time member here. Money cleared from my checking account and 2/25, he PMed me saying what is your address the same moment money was cleared from my account. I waited 3-4 days, asked for a tracking#. he was regularly coming online ever day(I checked his profile), but he ignored me. After a week, I sent him an email stating I will call my bank and file a froud. He immediately called me. He said his roommate was supposed to ship, but he did not, and he would ship it the next day. 2 more day past by and still no tracking, so I called and left him voice mail, and he called me back saying money is not cleared yet. I checked my bank account online, and it was cleared on my side a week ago. He gave me crap about it takes 10 days to clear. Anyways, he Promised to expedite the shipping march 7th(money cleared from my account Feb 25th) So I took his word. Then on 7th he shipped via UPS ground and i Got the package on March 18th. I tested the card march 19th and it was overheating. I wanted to return, but he forced me to re-apply the thermal paste. So since March 19th, I been trying to resolve this issue. I got Artic cooling ceramic paste and card runs over 100C within 30sec of running MSI Kombuster test.

First he told me to replace with the other 6970 he has which runs 65C under 100%stress, Now he is telling me sale is as-is and he is done with me. So I am hoping.

I am still hoping he will be reasonable and resolve this issue. But what is my options? I am from NJ, but occasionally go to California, about 1hour away from where he lives. I am thinking to file a fraud with his Local PD and also report to FBI for FRAUD at this link. Also When I go to California, I will meet with the cops at his location.

I have his address, I can get his bank account info from my bank. And I have his cell number, name, email and text correspondence etc..

Any other idea how can I resolve this issue? It has been almost a month, Can I still go to my bank and file a fraud?

And please someone let him know about this, so he stop ignoring me.

Good luck. The cops will not waste their time, and if anything can charge you possibly with a crime if you harass the seller.

The PD could care less, it happened and was shipped across state lines. I am speaking from personal experience.

The FBI lol over a video card that you in fact did receive? Not going to do a damn thing.

And you paid with a money order. Ouch.

Hope the seller works with you or chalk it up as a loss. You can do all you said above and there is a 99.999% chance it will be nothing but wasted time.

Are you going the card or not? I am not here to sling mud. I stated my terms. Like it or leave it.

Do you even read anything? I said I will be sending this out monday or tuesday back to the address I sent the check.

Why in the world should the buyer be required to take a gpu apart and apply new thermal grease...? It almost sounds like the seller knew this was a problem before hand, maybe I'm wrong though.

In any case, all the signs were there OP. IMO after dealing with late shipping Id have immediately returned it had I found problems. I would not have ever messed with repairing something I had just bought and might have to return. That just gives the seller an out if they're looking to scam. (IE: the card was fine when I shipped it! YOU ruined it!)

According to the seller, the shipping was not late though? He said he shipped Friday and that is also when the funds cleared his bank.

When dealing with a check, it takes a bank time to process the check, then pull the funds from the bank from where the check originated, then the funds must be sent and cleared through the bank which cashed the check. It can take up to 10 days (although not always that long). Why the hell would the seller ship prior to having CLEARED payment? If I took a check, I would not ship until the funds were DEPOSITED into my account, not just depositing the check. ANYONE paying by a check should know this.

Also, his F/S thread stated he ships within 3 days of CLEARED payment so even if it cleared Friday, technically by his F/S rules he still has a few days.

According to the seller, the shipping was not late though? He said he shipped Friday and that is also when the funds cleared his bank.

When dealing with a check, it takes a bank time to process the check, then pull the funds from the bank from where the check originated, then the funds must be sent and cleared through the bank which cashed the check. It can take up to 10 days (although not always that long). Why the hell would the seller ship prior to having CLEARED payment? If I took a check, I would not ship until the funds were DEPOSITED into my account, not just depositing the check. ANYONE paying by a check should know this.

I was just referencing what OP stated..

He said his roommate was supposed to ship, but he did not, and he would ship it the next day

Ahh gotcha. Yeah, seems theres 2 sides here and who knows which is honest? A payment date and ship date would clear that up though :)

When did the OP actually send out the check? You say it CLEARED your bank on the 25th but the seller bumped the thread on 2-21, which was a Friday. Id assume that even if he sold it that night, check goes out Saturday int he mail, it wont be received till the 25th. If he deposited it, the funds would not have cleared your bank on the 25th?? There still seems like theres about a 3-5 day gap though in payment to shipment though. So it does appear as the seller was late shipping, my bad on that.

Also that said, why dont you 2 work it out ASAP? Depending upon the purchase date, the card is still in warranty (I believe it may be in warranty regardless though??). Warranty is 3 years on the DCII which was not released until late March 2011 I believe??

With respect to a check via Paypal, it is my understanding that as a buyer, the funds clear within a few days from your account. From your account they effectively are in escrow with Paypal. The seller's bank then has access to the "check" via Paypal, which adds on more days for it to clear.

Point being - just because funds cleared the buyer's account on [a hypothetical] Tuesday does not mean the seller receives those funds on that same day.

Im not even sure if it was a check. Seller says check, buyer says Money order but buyer says it had to clear his bank?????

If it was a paypal check, then hell yes it takes up to 10 days from the day you initiate the payment. Had this happen before (as with Amazon Payments paying from my bank account).

I paid by check. on my bank part, it was cleared on 25th. And thats the day he asked me the address so he can ship.

THen He ignored me til 5th, then called me and said his room mate did not ship it. ANd the next day when I asked for the tracking, he said check did not clear. Thats when I startred freak out. If the communication was better, this would have been avoided.

Again, when did you send the check out? The timeline really does not make sense. Bumped thread on 2-21 (Friday) and payment CLEARS your bank by Tuesday and the check was sent through the mail????

Regardless, just because the payment clears your bank does not mean it has been deposited in his.

However, if OP said he would expedite shipment because he shipped late (which it seems like he did by 3-5 days), he should atleast refund the shipping cost.

As far as Kombuster goes, who the fuck runs that shit? What does it accomplish besides generating heat? Ive passed 4 hours of Kombuster and immediately locked up in BF3. Seems communication is definitely lacking. Why dont you 2 work it out rather than battle here? The warranty should still be in tack atleast for a short while (if not longer).

I sent the check out on february 15th and sent him a PM stating I dropped the check off. He PMed me on 2/21 stating check still not arrived, I told him there were president day holdiay, so it may take additional day or 2 to get to him.

Anyways, I sent the item back today. I will post the tracking later.

Gotcha, well GL with the refund and rest of the transaction. This is why dealing with checks is bad for both sides. Too much risk and not enough reward all around.

I have received the card today. I completed testing after replacing the thermal paste. I did not try it with how he put it on after seeing it covering 3 resistors(or solid caps,I don't know). I cleaned everything with 91% alcohol and applied AS5. I am just waiting for the YouTube video to upload. The link will be in my next post ASAP. I tested this card before I shipped it and was in perfectly good working order. To me this is fishy that it did not work with him. I just want my $25 back before I ship the card back. The only thing I can take from this ordeal is to replace any thermal paste on video cards (even when they are working as intended).

Last edited:
I have received the card today. I completed testing after replacing the thermal paste. I did not try it with how he put it on after seeing it covering 3 resistors(or solid caps,I don't know). I cleaned everything with 91% alcohol and applied AS5. I am just waiting for the YouTube video to upload. The link will be in my next post ASAP. I tested this card before I shipped it and was in perfectly good working order. To me this is fishy that it did not work with him. I just want my $25 back before I ship the card back. The only thing I can take from this ordeal is to replace any thermal paste on video cards (even when they are working as intended).

Here is what you said to me with in the email. As far as I understand, there is no mention of testing. So please do not come and try to put the blame on me. I got the card and sent you video even before I replaced the thermal paste. It is not my responsibility to do anything. The card should have worked fine from the first second I put it in my system. I shouldnt even do your leg work and replace the thermal paste. Card arrived overheating, and it is not my fault. You said you replaced the thermal paste on yours, so you know there were some issue, why you sent the card just like that without ensuring proper functionality?

That would be thermal paste problem. I started having the issue about 2 days before you received the card and have yet to see it go above 65c( in a mATX case). This is in a room that is 70f. That is why I do believe you that it is overheating. That card never got used and sat in the loner computer that I keep in the house, hence why I sold it because I am giving the machine to a family member and they didn't need the card. This also had me looking up to see if this is a common problem among ASUS cards in general and it has been. When I went to remove the paste I saw that is was over applied and being more of insulator than a thermal compound. I replaced mine with AC5(only thing I had in the house) and it has been 35c Idle and 63-65 with MSI kombustor. This issue should have popped up earlier from what it looks like. This just teaches me that To just replace thermal compound on the GPU when I am about to sell a card.

Last edited:
How funny is that? Now he wants me to put the pic of the card here first so he can check the serial number. He said he will not post the video until I post the pic.I feel like he swapped the cards. And he want me to send him that $25, because I should believe him card was working when he shipped.
I have a video that I showed him even before I replaced the thermal paste.

Please some1 say something? Is it my fault that I was delivered overheating card in the first place?

I want the pictures of the serial before I post the YT link. I did not look into the commonality of the overheating on ASUS cards until you said that the card was overheating. It was in good working order when I sent it out and the problem popped up when you received the card. If you were civil and just simply asked about me checking it out instead of going Refund refund refund at any chance. I would have been OK with paying for shipping back and forth to fix it if you just took a minute and just simply asked. You make this thread in the hopes of damaging my reputation and bully me to do what you want. Now you are trying to lawyer me... If you just knew how to talk to people. You would have such a easier time dealing with me. A transaction is a negotiation of two people over goods. You lack that ability to compromise. This thread will now be my only means of communicating with you.

*added*
I want the picture of the serial because it shows that I have the correct card for testing. I am only here to prove that I am being honest here. I am not making any attacks on you.

How funny is that? Now he wants me to put the pic of the card here first so he can check the serial number. He said he will not post the video until I post the pic.I feel like he swapped the cards. And he want me to send him that $25, because I should believe him card was working when he shipped.
I have a video that I showed him even before I replaced the thermal paste.

Please some1 say something? Is it my fault that I was delivered overheating card in the first place?

It is the manner that you talked to me since we talked on the phone.

also *ahem*
To: Turk
Subject: Re: And it overheats
Sent: Thu, Mar 20, 2014 3:23:11 AM

So at this point what do you want to do? I have another exact model that just had it's thermal paste replaced and idles at 35c. I can exchange and just replace the thermal paste when I get it. You would just be getting the same card and just that done. I am not going to offer a refund at this point because the issue is easily remedied. Hell if you want I can overnight from Amazon whatever paste you want(in reason). If you want the exchange I can pay $20 for the shipping.

Last edited:
@Mr.Pickles: The video you have; is it from the card before you shipped it? Also, did you have multiple cards the same?

@TurK-FX: Maybe you should find a "third party" for both of you to send pictures and videos to. This would alleviate any questions or concerns between you two as to whether the card is the same one or not.

Just a suggestion though.

Ok how about we find someone in here and send pic and video to that person?

I can not understand how come you replace the thermal paste and you wanna be sure you have the right card. This does not make sense to me.

I am willing to send you $12.5 refund. And I paid close to $20 for return shipping. and 8 for the thermal paste. So I paid more than $25. I am calling a lose to make both party happy. Again, Item arrived here overheating. If item arrived here in working order, we wouldnt be discussing any of these.

I want the pictures of the serial before I post the YT link. I did not look into the commonality of the overheating on ASUS cards until you said that the card was overheating. It was in good working order when I sent it out and the problem popped up when you received the card. If you were civil and just simply asked about me checking it out instead of going Refund refund refund at any chance. I would have been OK with paying for shipping back and forth to fix it if you just took a minute and just simply asked. You make this thread in the hopes of damaging my reputation and bully me to do what you want. Now you are trying to lawyer me... If you just knew how to talk to people. You would have such a easier time dealing with me. A transaction is a negotiation of two people over goods. You lack that ability to compromise. This thread will now be my only means of communicating with you.

*added*
I want the picture of the serial because it shows that I have the correct card for testing. I am only here to prove that I am being honest here. I am not making any attacks on you.

@Mr.Pickles: The video you have; is it from the card before you shipped it? Also, did you have multiple cards the same?

@TurK-FX: Maybe you should find a "third party" for both of you to send pictures and videos to. This would alleviate any questions or concerns between you two as to whether the card is the same one or not.

Just a suggestion though.

Yep, I just post the same thing. You wanna be the third party?

I wanted the refund, because it had been 4 weeks, and I still did not have working card. And I agreed on the second part after you forced me to do it. I accepted the refund, and I went to buy a thermal paste from local store instead of having you pay overnight. And as a buyer, I expect to have 100% working card as soon as it arrives. I do not have to cooperate with you, re-apply thermal paste etc... And I would have accepted all of those, if you were reasonable and nice with the communication. But you blew me off all along. You said, your roommate forgot to ship which was a lie. You ignored my PMs ETC. and you could have shipped it after I called you, but you made me wait over 10 days. I trusted you with 10 heatware feedback only some of the selling, but you treated me like a criminal with 250 heatware feedback.

So at this point what do you want to do? I have another exact model that just had it's thermal paste replaced and idles at 35c. I can exchange and just replace the thermal paste when I get it. You would just be getting the same card and just that done. I am not going to offer a refund at this point because the issue is easily remedied. Hell if you want I can overnight from Amazon whatever paste you want(in reason). If you want the exchange I can pay $20 for the shipping.

Last edited:
All you have to do I publicly post the picture. I don't see what is so hard about it. I want proof of what serial that you received so when I post the video(within a couple minutes at most) that I am correct that I am posting the video of the card. In the video I show both cards. One in the computer the other on my cheap desk.

All you have to do I publicly post the picture. I don't see what is so hard about it. I want proof of what serial that you received so when I post the video(within a couple minutes at most) that I am correct that I am posting the video of the card. In the video I show both cards. One in the computer the other on my cheap desk.

I dont understand what it has to do with me posting the serial. I have the pic of only one serial. I dont get the logic behind this. So if you know what card I returned, what is the issue?

I have two cards of the same model. You have a picture of the serial of the one you were in possession of. I just simply don't want you saying "That is no the card I received." and never show the picture of the serial, Hence making me look like a liar.

Info of video (The time is in PST):
Uploaded time: April 3, 2014 3:38 PM (I guess it went off of the time that I started the upload.)
Duration:12:19
Raw file:VIDEO0009.mp4
Views: 0
Dislikes: 0
Comments:0

Last edited:
YOu know what I cant play the game. THe serial is A8C0XXIR0019(second character looks like 8 but may be 6, it is printed kind of not clear)

* I may have slight fault on this. But as I told you, If the card was working properly when I received it, we would not be having any of these.

* Either The artic silver ceramic is not good enough for video cards, or because I did not clean the previous TIM with alcohol.

* You should admit that, you have majority of the fault here.

* I told you, I was working 14-16 hours a day and I was coming home to troubleshoot this at 4am and wake up 9am to go back to work.

* Anyways please send this back asap. I would like to have it before 2 months mark. and I will refund half of the refund you sent me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back