Is Your Ultra 750W X2 PSU Really a 550W?

Ouch. This isn't going to be a small thing they can sweep under the rug. It's going to be a huge deal that may break Ultra. It's not a small "Oops". It's a "We fucked the consumer in the ass" thing.

Ultra = No Buy. Enthusiast market, PC techs, PC shops... It's done.

I am not understanding this, everyone knows from the review that the customer was shafted, why does double mislabeling the product change anything from the original mislabel?

Meh..
Paul already established that the PSU sucks as either a 750 or a 550W PSU
Take the crappiness of this particular PSU out of the picture and it's a non-issue.

If Corsair or Antec relabeled some cases and used them in a different PSU than the original label indicated, would it be a story?

Stupid manufacturing practice? Yes
Conspiracy? Doubt it.

It may not be Ultra's fault. Remember Ultra got Wintech to make it for them(bad business decision). I deal with China and Chinese made shit all the time at work. One batch of stuff may be the real deal and the next batch will have nothing but duds from cutting too many corners. They really have no QC there. They will really do anything to make more money in China. Buy some infant formula and end up with poison was one of the top stories last year. Only 2 farmers were charged but if you think about it, how could only 2 diary farms out of the thousands sicken so many children? Easy, hundreds of the farmers were doing it, because it was common practice.

Meh..
Paul already established that the PSU sucks as either a 750 or a 550W PSU
Take the crappiness of this particular PSU out of the picture and it's a non-issue.

If Corsair or Antec relabeled some cases and used them in a different PSU than the original label indicated, would it be a story?

Stupid manufacturing practice? Yes
Conspiracy? Doubt it.

If they relabeled it and said that it's maximum output was over 200 watts of what it could really do then it would definitely be a story. This is pure negligence that can cost people money in hardware failure. You're picking Corsair and Antec out because people rave about their products, and the reviews are well deserved because they make great products and they are backed up by great customer service. Comparing Corsair to Ultra is like comparing a solid gold rocket car to a fucking turd.

What sucks is that the uneducated consumer is the one who loses. I wonder how many other power supplies by ultra have similar false labels? I would have considered the higher end ultra power supplies for my next build, but not now at any price.

I am not understanding this, everyone knows from the review that the customer was shafted, why does double mislabeling the product change anything from the original mislabel?

It's like the kit Ferrari's built with the Fiero's. It's a Fiero with a Ferrari label, sold as such. Sell it as a Ferrari, and you're being a dick.

Ultra took a busted up Fiero and sold it as a Fiero based Ferrari. Then, they slapped a Ferrari label on it, and tried selling it as a true Ferrari. No dice.

heh, well the funny thing is that JonnyGuru used to be an adamant supporter of Ultra and would defend them night and day on this forum. dunno where he stands on them now though.

What's "funny" is your distorted memories of what may have actually been said. ;-)

I did defend many of the Ultra PSU's. The Andyson built X3 units (600W, 800W, 1000W and 1600W). The SevenTeam built X-Pro 750W.... All of which were reviewed very well either here or at jg.com (and not even reviewed by me personally) as well as other sites. Not sure why my "stand" on those units would change if those units haven't changed.

Adamant? Well... if someone is going to judge a solid Andyson or SevenTeam built product based on their experience with a lesser quality Wintech product, I'm going to try to point out the error in that judgement.

What I would like to know is if Ultra has the manufacturer (Wintech) ship the power supplies store direct? If so, then it is not directly Ultra's fault for the mis-labeling unless Ultra told Wintech to do it.

Either way, I have never, nor will I ever, purchase an Ultra PSU. Their overall track record for quality is poor which is more then enough reason not to give them my business.

On another note, I wonder how long it will take Ultra to realize the gravity of the situation and issue a recall on the 750 X2s?

So, if I take my old 550 watt Antec, (at least it's the non crap one), and slap a new label on it that says 750 watts, I will have enough power for dual 4870x2's and a Core2Quad @ 3ghz with 8 gigs of ram and a couple hard drives?

If that is all it takes I have been wasting my money. :rolleyes:

A good 750 can handle that, but a crap 550 remarked as a 750 might just turn my hard earned cash into a pile of smoldering capacitors and circuit boards. Nice move Ultra. I am curious as to how they are going to handle the PR fallout.

I have owned some ultra psu before mainly because they are usually dirt cheap, and I ended regretting every single time.

I know for a fact that most Ultra PSU sucked but the funny thing is after almost 3 years on my 1600W x3 without issues? meh.

I do own a ultra 600W, 850W and 1600W. Any issues? nope. but I see this as a warning to me, the fact they would do somthing like this, is just like nvidia trying to hide the 250 being a 9800.

I know for a fact that most Ultra PSU sucked but the funny thing is after almost 3 years on my 1600W x3 without issues? meh.

I do own a ultra 600W, 850W and 1600W. Any issues? nope. but I see this as a warning to me the fact they would do somthing like this is just like nvidia trying to hide the 250 being a 9800.

The X3 1600w is a completely different unit. Completely.

The Andyson built X3's are still excellent units. It's too bad Ultra seems determined to torpedo their reputation to the point that nobody wants the X3's.

I have owned some ultra psu before mainly because they are usually dirt cheap, and I ended regretting every single time.

I've learned the hard way that a truly good psu always comes with equally high price. :p

am not surprised at all...since ultra, systemax (i may have misspelled it) and some other brands are actually products of tigerdirect....i have never had any personal business done with them but i did some research a while back when i was deciding betwen newegg and them for buying something..since their barebone kits are very inticing due to the low pricing ...but i found online multiple ppl camplaing of stickers stuck right on the bar codes of numerous products just so it voids the mail in rebate thing...so considering that history, i wasent surprised of any foul play... indeed here is a good example.

PS... i am not personally complaining about anything against tigerdirect....just mentioning some websites with angry customers saying these thing...

Ohhhh this is some juicy stuff.

Waiting for more updates~

I feel like giving them a call and record it to let everyone hear it. Just wanting to know if they will do anything about it.

What's "funny" is your distorted memories of what may have actually been said. ;-)

I did defend many of the Ultra PSU's. The Andyson built X3 units (600W, 800W, 1000W and 1600W). The SevenTeam built X-Pro 750W.... All of which were reviewed very well either here or at jg.com (and not even reviewed by me personally) as well as other sites. Not sure why my "stand" on those units would change if those units haven't changed.

Adamant? Well... if someone is going to judge a solid Andyson or SevenTeam built product based on their experience with a lesser quality Wintech product, I'm going to try to point out the error in that judgement.

Oh, I wasn't trying to attack you or anything Jon. Mybad if it seemed that way. I just remembered way back when their some of their X-finity lines were good and I believe you defended those and not the X-Connect line.

It's like the kit Ferrari's built with the Fiero's. It's a Fiero with a Ferrari label, sold as such. Sell it as a Ferrari, and you're being a dick.

Ultra took a busted up Fiero and sold it as a Fiero based Ferrari. Then, they slapped a Ferrari label on it, and tried selling it as a true Ferrari. No dice.

As a man with a stock busted up Fiero I take offense. I challenge you to a duel, kind sir!

Besides the hopeless average joe who doesn't know gold from fool's - Why would anyone buy these products? For only a few bucks more one can pickup the Corsair 750w. For the same price someone can pickup the Corsair 550w (Which is still better then this claimed 750w which is actually a 500w which can't even do that.)

Ouch ><.

This is one of a number of reasons why I'm so picky about PSU brands for my systems. I only like to buy from companies where ALL their PSUs are known to be quality.

The sad thing is, they probably can get away with it in many cases since people have gotten so used to over specing their power supplies. They get a 750 when the system only uses 200 watts so this thing works fine. Or maybe it works fine for awhile and then burns out, and the person goes and buys a bigger PSU, unaware they got screwed.

What I find surprising is that anyone actually buy's Ultra's PSU's. :confused:
I don't buy them. I get them free after rebate. I have 4 Ultra PSU's sitting in boxes that were 100% free (shipping was free also, thx Newegg!).

I've learned the hard way that a truly good psu always comes with equally high price. :p

This couldn't be any more of a wrong statement.

Sure, there is a slight correlation between the two, but I've found many, many PSU's that are spectacular and won't cost you an arm and a leg. There are several models from Corsair and Antec that have been on sale at Newegg and other places that perform VERY well.

In, fact, I have a real nice Antec EA650 unit that got great reviews here and elsewhere that only cost me $65 bucks on sale.

One can get a good PSU at a decent price if you look and do your homework. Or you can buy this Ultra crap and take your chances that you just got ripped off and perhaps start a nice house fire to go along with it.

Phew, glad I've stayed away. I don't even take a chance with my PSU's. Never cut corners with it, always brand new and brand name from a reputable dealer.

I can't remember who made the analogy for the PSU is to the computer as your heart is to your body, but it's so true.

I don't buy them. I get them free after rebate. I have 4 Ultra PSU's sitting in boxes that were 100% free (shipping was free also, thx Newegg!).

i dont think newegg sells any ultra products..or does it?

See, normally I'd say only go with the PSU's reviewed by the [H], like the X3's, but if Ultra would do something like this, how do we know they won't change the X3's to a crappy manufacturer without releasing a new SKU?

I've had a lot of experience with Ultra power supplies, you don't buy them unless they're very in-expensive.

I'm lucky with my current 600w or whatever unit on my secondary computer, it's been there for a while but I rarely turn it on but when I do the system works :p

I've been using my Ultra X3 1000w for more than year continuously now, and my system is pretty loaded (see signature).

I used to be a technician and we get Ultra power supplies back all the time, well only the "lower" end models, as it seems like they have a couple of different manufacturers.

Take a crap unit and relabel it higher so it's even crappier. I don't know what they're smoking over at Ultra, but I'm not sure I even want any of it.

[H], from your article, I found this pic, blew it up and it looks like there is a second label under the main label. You be the judge.

[H], from your article, I found this pic, blew it up and it looks like there is a second label under the main label. You be the judge.

[rczhqxxy1w35l.jpg/1/]
w2048.png
[/URL]

9th post in this thread:

http://www.hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1033760721&postcount=9

Back