Is VR a use case for Epyc?

Quartz-1

Supreme [H]ardness
I was reading a thread about cameras for VR on another board, and I'm wondering if Epyc might be the preferred CPU for high-end VR thanks to the number of PCI Express lanes it supports?

You'd need 32 lanes for two GPUs, and 2 (?) lanes each for, what, four or five high speed (and thus bandwidth) USB 3.1 cameras? Maybe more? All on separate USB hubs for best performance, of course. So, that's 40+ PCI Express lanes straight off. NVME drives use 4, so we'll want two of those. Plus there'll be lanes required for all the other I/O - keyboard, mouse, a big old SATA drive or three, and so on. So we're now over 50 PCI Express 3.0 lanes in use, and a really high end user might have four GPUs, so over 80 lanes.

What do you think?

No one invented a consumer level system that uses 3.1 (10gb/s) usb im aware of. To my knowledge core counts dont help in vr past 4 anyways as the big caveat for VR is GPU power. Certainly having a highly overclocked i5 or R5 should be adequate a R7 or I7 can give the higer performance.

Where threadripper ir Epyc might shine is the cache available to the cpres offering more IPC but I have no idea.

Pcie lanes wont matter too much as a 3.1 hub on the motherboard could easily handle a couple cameras at the same time.

Back