Is using Arctic Silver Dangerous?

gamer1drew

Weaksauce
I've used arctic silver a couple of times, seems to work well but I just bought an oem cpu and was wondering why it recomends you do not use arctic silver. I realize arctic silver could possibly conduct electricity, but if used correctly, could it be dangerous in any way? Thanks for the help.

gamer1drew said:
I've used arctic silver a couple of times, seems to work well but I just bought an oem cpu and was wondering why it recomends you do not use arctic silver. I realize arctic silver could possibly conduct electricity, but if used correctly, could it be dangerous in any way? Thanks for the help.
If used correctly, nope. I have it on my Radeon 9800 Pro and my AMD Athlon. Just be extra careful when you apply it to your GPU. And make sure it stays away from motherboard traces, etc.

It can possibly carry a very small current, which is why they don't recommend it. If you carefully apply it and clean any mess you make, you're golden.

Hope this helps.

I guess it can be dangerous when you use it wrong......... Just follow the direction and you will be fine. If you mess up just clean it up with 99% alcohol.... OEM's that recommend not to use Artic Silver, prob factor in the factor that people will mess up. When they mess up, then the RMA it, which in turns leads to loss profit......

darktiger said:
I guess it can be dangerous when you use it wrong......... Just follow the direction and you will be fine. If you mess up just clean it up with 99% alcohol.... OEM's that recommend not to use Artic Silver, prob factor in the factor that people will mess up. When they mess up, then the RMA it, which in turns leads to loss profit......

Ditto, if you are messy or use it other than the way in which it was intended it is dangerous... if you follow the directions "Link " it is very safe :D

if you're worried about shorting something out use arctic silver 5 it's silicone based so it won't conduct and it is much easier to work with and clean up. Plus you'll get lower temps.

Important Precautions

Don't put it in your mouth.

Don't give it to children or leave it where children can get a hold of it.

Keep it away from pets.

I dunno about yall, but i just find it hilarious, they have to actually put "dont put it in your mouth" on there, someone prob did with AS3 or somethign, and they have to for legal reasons now.

Gulp

gclg2000 said:
Important Precautions

Don't put it in your mouth.

Don't give it to children or leave it where children can get a hold of it.

Keep it away from pets.

I dunno about yall, but i just find it hilarious, they have to actually put "dont put it in your mouth" on there, someone prob did with AS3 or somethign, and they have to for legal reasons now.

Gulp

heh, i read this and exited to the board, and the first thing i read was:

gf4 bios editing Chaballaman Today 03:41 AM by Chaballaman 2 44

and all i could see was "gf4 bios eating" :D

gclg2000 said:
Important Precautions
someone prob did with AS3 or somethign, and they have to for legal reasons now.
Gulp
Another one for the Darwin Awards! Yay for the Darwin Awards! :D

alphaone said:
Another one for the Darwin Awards! Yay for the Darwin Awards! :D

Ditto. They usually don't tell you not to do something in the instructions unless some genius has tried it :rolleyes:

Back