• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Is this THE best gaming pc?

J/-\RE|)

n00b
Joined
Mar 23, 2004
Messages
29
Moniter-Sony SDM-P234.....................................$1550
CPU- AMD FX-55................................................$849
MB- Asus A8N SLI..............................................$250
Video Card- 2x Nvidia 6800 U...............................$1000
HD- 3x WD Raptor, 300 gb maxtor........................$600
Case- Silverstone TJ03.........................................$270
Ram- 4x 512 mb OCZ plat....................................$550
PSU- Silenx 600w and fans..................................$340
Keyboard- Logitech DiNovo...................................$139
Raid Card- HighPoint Rocket Raid.........................$90
DVD-ROM- Sony..................................................$50
DVD RW- Sony DRU-710A.....................................$90
OS- XP PRO.........................................................$150
Sound Card- Audigy 2 ZS.......................................$113
Speakers- Logitech Z-5500......................................$290
Mouse- Logitech MX1000........................................$80

I know that is a ton of money ($6500), but in your opinion are these the best parts? Now I dont want to spend more than $7000, and wont purchase them for a couple of months (maybe price will drop?). Anyways, Rate This Comp please?

Oh yeah raptors will be in RAID 5 and the maxtor will be a backup for all data.
 
absoultly not.
the best gaming computer would include a wired mouse, not wireless. And klipsch speakers, not crappy logitech

hey, everything else looks great

EDIT: Actually, I'd get 4 raptors in raid 0+1 for my ultimate gaming system
 
Ruffian998 said:
Logitech makes some pretty nice speakers....
sort-of, but if you've ever listend to Klipsch, you'd know what I mean
 
ah, good point; however I and definately not good enough to tell the difference. And I absolutely loathe wires.
 
in addition to what's already been said, ditch the LCD unless you really have no space for a CRT. also, sony optical drives aren't especially great, i'd look around for something else.

as for the hard disks, why 3 raptors? RAID 0 doesn't do much for a desktop. a faster drive is more effective than RAIDing two slower ones. just get one and run larger, 7200RPM drives for storage. or even better, get a 15K scsi drive for your primary
 
Nice set up, are you sure you want to spend that much...Damn...but nice anyways..
 
fugu said:
in addition to what's already been said, ditch the LCD unless you really have no space for a CRT. also, sony optical drives aren't especially great, i'd look around for something else.

as for the hard disks, why 3 raptors? RAID 0 doesn't do much for a desktop. a faster drive is more effective than RAIDing two slower ones. just get one and run larger, 7200RPM drives for storage. or even better, get a 15K scsi drive for your primary

Yep, since your wasting money, go SCSI. Throw in a pair of 15k RPM drives and hold on.
 
I guess I should elaborate more, this not going to be a strictly gaming pc and space is definately a factor. As for the speakers, some people have said that they get hissing with the Klipstich speakers. The HD issue is definately one I'm not sure about, the 15k SCSI drives did get some thought and still are. Maybe I was letting my ego get to much say. Thanks for all the input, this is great and definately why I love [H].
 
Once thing that you might want to consider is instead of using the FX's, go with a dual Opteron setup.
 
I would ditch that Logitech MX1000. Its definitely not the best mouse for gaming. I would suggest a Logitech MX510 or Razer Diamondback instead.

And if your going to spend that much money on the PC i would also suggest waiting till next year and getting a dual core processor.

Personally it makes no sense to me to spend that much on a single upgrade. Unless your stinking rich i would suggest building a modest machine for far less and then upgradeing yearly.

What are you going to do when you spend $7000 to try and get the fastest machine and in 6-8 months time there is already faster hardware on the market?
 
if you're gonna get the best of everything, get this PSU

850turbo_hi.jpg


:eek:
 
Like someone else stated that system will most certainly not be the best system out their if you plan to purchase it in a few months. And that is alot of money that could be put to better use, but then agian it is your choice.
 
EnderW said:
if you're gonna get the best of everything, get this PSU

850turbo_hi.jpg


:eek:

I think the reason he went with the SilenX is because he wanted a quiet PSU, something the TurboCool 510w is not.
 
burningrave101 said:
I think the reason he went with the SilenX is because he wanted a quiet PSU, something the TurboCool 510w is not.

lol, that's not a Turbo-Cool 510, check the image file name

and with 3 raptors and 2 6800 Ultras, he's gonna have a lot of work if he wants a quiet machine
 
The machine as configured is loud.. in fact, unless water cooling is part of the picture (EVERYWHERE), it's just going to be loud. I'd get the PCP&C PSU instead... just so you can dedicate the 350W the dual 6800's will consume.

I'd second the vote for dual Opterons (since this isn't just a gaming machine).. may have up the power though.

Btw... until some more stressful games are released, most people won't be able to tell the difference between this monster and their $3000 gaming system.... except in terms of heat (LOTS OF HEAT FOLKS) and cost of energy.

I'd probably go dual Opteron 250's with 2G, more realistic disk coupled with a good hw raid controller (e.g. LSI, maybe the newer 3ware's) and just one 6800Ultra. That'll allow you to move to SLI later if needed, or upgrade to the next gen board if applicable (likely). Unless you just have to have 5-10fps more today.

Just my opinion.... killer rig as spec'd... but THAT price! You could have a near same quality machine in addition to a high end gaming laptop for the same price.
 
LOL, Thanks guys; I have a lot of thinking to do. When it comes to this much money I want to try and make the best decision possible; wich very well mean not spending as much or changing parts.

Yeah the reason I went with the Silenx is noise, and I'm definately considering water. But, can you fit a waterblock on both cards when they are so close together?

I have been stuck on my stupid hp- ze5400 laptop long enough and cant stand watchin all these awesome games being released while I sit here and play solitaire. Not to mention my growing interest in photography.
 
EnderW said:
lol, that's not a Turbo-Cool 510, check the image file name

and with 3 raptors and 2 6800 Ultras, he's gonna have a lot of work if he wants a quiet machine
Well how about instead of you playing games, you just state the name of the PSU in your post.
 
Bugalaman said:
sort-of, but if you've ever listend to Klipsch, you'd know what I mean
Ha, elitest. Klipsch is not much better than Logitech, if any. And Klipsch speakers are way more money.

Dude, if I was you I woudln't spend that much money. It's a waste, a $3000 computer will last you about as long and perform 95% as well. I'd drop the FX55 down to an FX53, only get one 6800Ultra. There's not too much point to get 3 raptors, I'd get two and put them in RAID0. That LCD is pretty expensive, drop down to a 19".

Your setup is wicked, it's just not for me. And yes, it's pretty close to the best you can get.
 
I would also ditch the RAID and just get a single Raptor for OS/applications and the 300GB for storage. Saves some money. I'd also get the Athlon64 4000+ and save some money, but that's just me.

and it will be just plain loud. You'll have a hard time silencing that on air, you're going to have to go with liquid cooling for anything approaching silent.

Well, it is your money to waste though, so do what you want.
 
RAID 0/1/0+1


which has best performance? one of my drives is crap(is 95 % full and about a 1/4 the storage of the other). The other is ata133, 8mb buffer. IS it even worth doing raid? Does it use more power?
 
Back
Top