Is this possible?

ralphie1313

Limp Gawd
So i removed my 4090 and installed my 4080 but i forgot to change the wire and plugged the 4 connect into the 4080, i started flying ms flight sim and i noticed my fps was up around 8 to 10 more fps but also more consistent they stayed. Is it possible the extra power is helping ? and also am i doing any damage with the extra power?

You'd better make some serious tests. If this is true, you could be the first to discover this.
Go ahead and run some tests. We need more information and you're currently the only source.
Take some screenshots too. This could be big.

Compare using the default and the 4-connect back and forth a few times, and run some benchmarks. Data is king.

You'd better make some serious tests. If this is true, you could be the first to discover this.
Go ahead and run some tests. We need more information and you're currently the only source.
Take some screenshots too. This could be big.

Compare using the default and the 4-connect back and forth a few times, and run some benchmarks. Data is king.
i am more worried can this heat up or cause a fire if temps rise, as far as tests dude im sorry u got the wrong person i am lucky i know how to turn the computer on!!! lol Yes i can change back to the 3 wire and see !!

i am more worried can this heat up or cause a fire if temps rise, as far as tests dude im sorry u got the wrong person i am lucky i know how to turn the computer on!!! lol
Hahah don't worry then.
No, I think your GPU should be just fine. It will draw as much power as it can handle and automatically slow itself down if it gets too hot.
You should be just fine, and if it DOES get hot, you'll still be fine. Just check the temps using a GPU monitoring software with an OSD. As long as they don't exceed 90 C or even 100 C, you'll be fine.

i went back to 3 wire it drop around 7 fps then went back i was 8 more this time, if this is true seems to be around 5 to 10 more fps, the thing i am noticing like i mentioned before with the 4 wire it seems my fps do not go up and down as much deff more consistent!! also remember this is flight sim and as much as i matched everything in flight as best as i can, u know if the game time is 2 min off and the sun is in a slightly different position can change fps....

You need to tell us what power supply you have.
Yes, more power available to your card can increase fps. AMD you open up the power to the card; your car you open up the fuel/air mix for more power.
If you limit the power to your vidcard it can only draw to the limit; open it to more power it can draw until heat stops it, per what others said.

You need to tell us what power supply you have.
Yes, more power available to your card can increase fps. AMD you open up the power to the card; your car you open up the fuel/air mix for more power.
If you limit the power to your vidcard it can only draw to the limit; open it to more power it can draw until heat stops it, per what others said.
i have a corsair hx 1200 plus platinum..

With the 12v high power cables, 3 to 1 is limited to 450W, 4 to 1 is 600W. The GPU can tell which one is plugged in. This is why some of the 4090s that only come with a 3 to 1 connector in the box are looked down on. Check afterburner or another program that can show the power target, if you go from say 100% to 106% you might gain a little headroom for boost clocks.

my baby!!

Attachments

• my comp.JPG
    my comp.JPG
    539.6 KB · Views: 1
my baby!!
Looks good! I do have a suggestion or two tho, if I may...

1) That fan on the back of the gpu that is flat against it? Doing absolutely nothing lol
2) To take the aesthetics to the next level, make the bend in your 24 pin tighter so you can hide the cable extension junction behind the motherboard tray instead of in front of it. Would make the build look that much cleaner (y)

Last edited:
If OP's observations are true, then it also makes perfect sense to go into your Geforce Experience software or other overclocking software and make sure the power limit is raised to the absolute max.
If you can deliver more power, then that's only for the better. But it's only scientific if you write things down and make proper hypotheses that can be proven/disproven by testing.

i am more worried can this heat up or cause a fire if temps rise, as far as tests dude im sorry u got the wrong person i am lucky i know how to turn the computer on!!! lol Yes i can change back to the 3 wire and see !!
It'll be fine. Nvidia-based graphics cards have very complex power management for just that reason. You can't push more power into the card than it can handle - it regulates its usage on its own.

Your findings are interesting, though. It would be neat to see some benchmark results from something like 3DMark with the three tap connector versus the four tap one. That it would make a difference would be an unexpected result, for sure.

I'm not surprised it makes a difference.

When I had bought myself an RTX 2060 KO Ultra, I was VERY tempted to buy EVGA's little PowerLink add-on, which seems to consolidate two power connectors into one, which is meant to "eliminate spikes" and other gimmicks. In the end, I didn't buy it because I'm not very susceptible to gimmicks, but if I had the extra cash, I would still have wanted to at least test it, to see if it would make a difference in benchmark tests.

In OP's case, >5 FPS is a big enough difference that I'm very curious about this. If anyone else can test this, go for it. I'd love to see the results.

When I get my new power supply in the next few weeks I will test something similar. It will be going from a 3x8 adapter to the native 600 16pin to see if it makes any difference.

I'm not surprised it makes a difference.

When I had bought myself an RTX 2060 KO Ultra, I was VERY tempted to buy EVGA's little PowerLink add-on, which seems to consolidate two power connectors into one, which is meant to "eliminate spikes" and other gimmicks. In the end, I didn't buy it because I'm not very susceptible to gimmicks, but if I had the extra cash, I would still have wanted to at least test it, to see if it would make a difference in benchmark tests.

In OP's case, >5 FPS is a big enough difference that I'm very curious about this. If anyone else can test this, go for it. I'd love to see the results.

I have one coming later today for my 4090, I have a Gaming X Trio that only comes with a 3x out of the box.

Alright... You guys just cost me $300

I ran Unigine Superposition three times. First run was my best score. Everything at default settings. Cranked the power limit to max which I think was only 106% and got a lower score. Cranked GPU fans to 100% in case card was simply not boosting as high on subsequent runs and got my lowest score. Running on a 750 watter with 3x8 connectors.

so I just ordered a Seasonic Vertex 1200. Will compare once I get it.

I was perfectly happy before I reading this

Looks good! I do have a suggestion or two tho, if I may...

1) That fan on the back of the gpu that is flat against it? Doing absolutely nothing lol
2) To take the aesthetics to the next level, make the bend in your 24 pin tighter so you can hide the cable extension junction behind the motherboard tray instead of in front of it. Would make the build look that much cleaner (y)
yes i know i just put the fan there for more lights i am an rgb junkie!! lol the pcb power wire like right after i took this pic it stopped lighting up i tried everything, so today i just got back from mico center i switched it and even the new one will not lite up and u see in the picture i had it working so i had it hooked up right idk im lost!!

Would be nice if they had made the graphic cards like reversed were the fans are on the top side so u can see them and the lights!!

i posted this up top guys i am not good with software and stuff so if i keep posting things i see might be different i am sorry, so i have percision x1 running i just noticed this if this does anything there is a slide that says power under target in the past when i would slide it all the way up it would stop at 106 and now its going to 117 again i dont know what this all means i am just throwing it out there. Also what is a good memory number and clock number my clock says 3025 my memory says 11606 and i have not touched anything should i keep moving the sliders over in small steps ?

i posted this up top guys i am not good with software and stuff so if i keep posting things i see might be different i am sorry, so i have percision x1 running i just noticed this if this does anything there is a slide that says power under target in the past when i would slide it all the way up it would stop at 106 and now its going to 117 again i dont know what this all means i am just throwing it out there. Also what is a good memory number and clock number my clock says 3025 my memory says 11606 and i have not touched anything should i keep moving the sliders over in small steps ?
It means that the 4-pin connector is unlocking a higher power target than the 3-pin. This is a surprise as I wouldn't think the RTX 4080 would be able to fully saturate the 450-watt 3-pin connector.
A good core and memory number is as high as you can go stable. Move up in small steps until games/benchmarks start crashing, then move it back down a little bit and test it there for a while. 3DMark Port Royal is an excellent stability test for RTX 3000 and 4000 GPUs.

It means that the 4-pin connector is unlocking a higher power target than the 3-pin. This is a surprise as I wouldn't think the RTX 4080 would be able to fully saturate the 450-watt 3-pin connector.
A good core and memory number is as high as you can go stable. Move up in small steps until games/benchmarks start crashing, then move it back down a little bit and test it there for a while. 3DMark Port Royal is an excellent stability test for RTX 3000 and 4000 GPUs.
Ok yes i see, so i kept moving it up and then flight sim frooze and i got an error message something like this program is not responding which could be due to overclocking settings. But the whole time moving the 2 sliders up i did not even gain 1 more fps is that normal?

Ok yes i see, so i kept moving it up and then flight sim frooze and i got an error message something like this program is not responding which could be due to overclocking settings. But the whole time moving the 2 sliders up i did not even gain 1 more fps is that normal?
1 at a time. Don't move core and memory together. Tune core, then once that is stable, tune memory.

And yes, eventually you will run into a wall where increasing clock speeds no longer gives you a tangible increase... and if you push it too far, the power limits may actually throttle your clock speed, so you will lose performance. It's a balancing act.

1 at a time. Don't move core and memory together. Tune core, then once that is stable, tune memory.

And yes, eventually you will run into a wall where increasing clock speeds no longer gives you a tangible increase... and if you push it too far, the power limits may actually throttle your clock speed, so you will lose performance. It's a balancing act.
Why even bother trying to oc it then its an oc card allready and i am not gaining anything ? or is it just one of those things to do that us computer junkies just have to mess with!!! lol

Thats what I was suspecting happened. Wonder if anyone else with a 4080 noticed this?

Edit my cable is here gonna see what I get

CAE0E502-DAFC-4B70-AB76-3DA9C7E2EB34.jpeg

Last edited:
If it was me testing this, I would leave clocks alone, and only raise the power limit to the max, and then run the benchmark tests.
I don't see any reason to mess around with the clocks too, considering what the topic of conversation is. =p

Alright well this aftermarket 4-plug adapter doesn't raise my power limit, but my wierdo 1200W PSU doesn't even have 4 plugs to begin with so I had to use one of the pigtails.

Looks pretty though.

76088709-D51D-4897-804D-71D61690A69A.jpeg

ralphie1313
Followed instructions exactly. Removed RTX4090 and installed RTX 4080.
OMG I actually did this and got 6 more FPS Cyberpunk. ,(not as much as you because I only got 1000Watt PSU)
I then downloaded 128GB of DDR5 8000Mt's ram and got 5 more FPS not bad at all.
So frigging awesome got to go now going to download some RGB ,I read it gives even more FPS.
Thanks for sharing I never knew what is possible with a computer.

ralphie1313
Followed instructions exactly. Removed RTX4090 and installed RTX 4080.
OMG I actually did this and got 6 more FPS Cyberpunk. ,(not as much as you because I only got 1000Watt PSU)
I then downloaded 128GB of DDR5 8000Mt's ram and got 5 more FPS not bad at all.
So frigging awesome got to go now going to download some RGB ,I read it gives even more FPS.
Thanks for sharing I never knew what is possible with a computer.
wow so u got more also so maybe it does help!! were can i download more ram ? every fps helps !!

Back