is there a RROD DIY sure fire fix?

sirsnits

[H]ard|Gawd
I finally caved and decided to fix my 360.

I was looking through youtube and watched all kinds of vids on how to repair a 360, but i also see allot of comments saying that it will just RROD after the fix in the near future.

My warranty is up, and i really have nothing to lose at this point, so before i rip it open and tinker with its innards, i just want to know if there is a fix i can do myself that will result in no more RROD's.

Preferably need an answer from someone whose already done it and can back it up 100%, doesn't count if you work for MS ;) .

There is no way in hell im buying another one, just a last attempt.

X-Clamp plus using a heat gun to remelt the solder on the GPU and CPU. The towel trick will only fix it for a few hours, at most. The X-clamp most likely won't work by itself. Haven't done it myself, but I've heard good reports about it working this way. Got two RROD consoles here that are going to go under a heat gun soon enough.

Even the most secure fix can't be guaranteed...that's really asking a lot to predict the future. The xclamp type fix, especially if you reseat the card and use arctic silver, etc etc, is generally very successful. I know a number of people who have done it. If you understand generally why the 360 will rrod in the first place, then a good xclamp fix is intended to solve the problem, so theoretically it should last as long as it otherwise would, but who can say what will happen?

was it e74?

That means alot of different things.

Warranty is 3 years for rrod.

Also, all fixes are just reflow based, so...

If you know how to reflow solders, then you are good, otherwise, don't bake it.

I have fixed Xbox 360's before. None of the tricks ever work forever. Some people get lucky and have an older console and have never had a RRoD. But its commonly known, more than likely, your system will RR eventually..

I am going to say 2/3rds of the fixes out there are not permanent. It is already broken, cannot hurt to try..

I did the xclamp on my elite 360 and I can run that damn thing for hours to no end in the hottest weather and it won't RROD. It's been 4 months now and I've been abusing my 360 to see if its going to rrod again and IT HASN'T. I'm stoked. The only downside about it is now my fan is louder but who cares I just put on headphones or pimped out 5.1 outloud and its all good.

yeah, it seems the xclamp fix is the way to go.

i'll pick up the tools sometime this week.

ok, tyvm for your posts.

best of luck. If it doesn't work you could always go the ridiculous waste of money route and water cool it like a few crazies on this forum.

Call microsoft, you might be suprised. They replaced mine with no questions even though it was out of warranty and registered to someone else. It was legit, I bought it used so it was registered to the previous owner. Throw a fit on the phone if you have to. Otherwise you will eventually have to get a new console.

You know that only seats the chip on harder?

If it fries because of the heat... then it fries.

Call microsoft, you might be suprised. They replaced mine with no questions even though it was out of warranty and registered to someone else. It was legit, I bought it used so it was registered to the previous owner. Throw a fit on the phone if you have to. Otherwise you will eventually have to get a new console.
(almost 3 years, too).
And I got a new Jasper out of it...
(maybe they were out of old ones?).

I could tell by the cheap white DVD tray cover.(and the HDMI port), combined with the really low heat output. Lower then a friend's recent (dec 2008) Elite, so must be it.

Mine just tanked this past friday and is also outside the warranty. I am not sure how I want to proceed from this point. I am so irritated by it that I am tempted to just say fuck you MS and roll with the ps3, But I have half a year left on my live account and numerous arcade titles that I have purchased as well. So if I dump it I feel like I am leaving money on the table so to speak. I guess I don't really have a choice but to swallow the pill and pay to get it fix but damn that blows hard. Thats the way it goes I guess.

since this was the second time for me, i don't want to spend another dime on a high risk machine.

If it goes down the crapper for good, well at least i tried.

I could try MS one more time, see what they say.

Mine just tanked this past friday and is also outside the warranty. I am not sure how I want to proceed from this point. I am so irritated by it that I am tempted to just say fuck you MS and roll with the ps3, But I have half a year left on my live account and numerous arcade titles that I have purchased as well. So if I dump it I feel like I am leaving money on the table so to speak. I guess I don't really have a choice but to swallow the pill and pay to get it fix but damn that blows hard. Thats the way it goes I guess.

If yours is out of the RRoD warranty then I'm guessing it's a Xenon or early Zephyr chipset. In that case I'd probably just cut my losses and pick up a new Jasper unit since the failure rates are extremely low on them so far. If you send your old one in for MS to "fix," it's probably just on borrowed time since those are inherently flawed and run hotter. Jasper runs cooler and with each hardware revision MS has made the consoles more reliable.

Time will tell how the Jasper failure rates compare to the early consoles, but so far reports are positive.

I used my own bolt and screws to fix a broken one I bought and it has been working since.....though I have only played it like 40 hours.

If yours is out of the RRoD warranty then I'm guessing it's a Xenon or early Zephyr chipset. In that case I'd probably just cut my losses and pick up a new Jasper unit since the failure rates are extremely low on them so far. If you send your old one in for MS to "fix," it's probably just on borrowed time since those are inherently flawed and run hotter. Jasper runs cooler and with each hardware revision MS has made the consoles more reliable.

Time will tell how the Jasper failure rates compare to the early consoles, but so far reports are positive.

Thats what I figured. I figure to just get an arcade and use my hd and component cables from my tanked unit. Then I will take the old unit out back and but some buckshot in it:mad:

I borrowed a torx 10 from my neighbor, i already have it opened up, so there goes my chance of ever returning it.

gonna leave it for now, still need paste and a size smaller torx.

thanks for all your suggestions/ideas, very much appreciated.

i'll let you know if im successful.

A pyro pen would reflow that solder in no time ;)

I've never worked on a xbox but it normally takes 40 degrees more heat for lead free solder over a regular rosin leaded core. I've never seen a hair dryer get that hot, of course a heat gun could but you'd more likely damage the board before reflowing the solder.

Also, I'm joking about the pyro pen. Most like damage the board with it as well!

i tried two different fixes with the same result, 3 red lights then changes to 2 red lights.
i followed the directions to a perfect match.

Before any one suggest anything, i snapped the board in half and threw it in the shit bin.

Microsoft can blow me.

Not trying to offend anyone still enjoying there 360, but after the second time and 2 failed fix attempts, i have absolutely no reason now to even think about a re-purchase.

i have two other consoles that work just fine, no loss to me.

thank you all for your ideas,
as the old saying goes.... shit happens.

You can find lots of reports on E74 errors being more common now than they use to be. As RRoD problems went down, E74 errors went up.
http://www.joystiq.com/2009/03/19/joystiq-survey-xbox-360-e74-errors-on-the-rise-since-nxe/

You're just too devoted a fan, to see the truth.

since Jasper introduction, Xbox failures have fallen drastically.....

MS might have updated the console to report E74 instead of RROD...we just don't know but both are covered under 3 year warranty.

i was just thinking, doesn't matter now, but when i turned my xbox on i got the rrod almost instantly, like as soon as i pushed the power button.

I noticed on a few youtube vids, that the xbox waited a little bit upon start up, then the red lights come in.

im thinking this could have been more than just the usual problem.

i was just thinking, doesn't matter now, but when i turned my xbox on i got the rrod almost instantly, like as soon as i pushed the power button.

I noticed on a few youtube vids, that the xbox waited a little bit upon start up, then the red lights come in.

im thinking this could have been more than just the usual problem.

you had it connected with av cables right? because if you don't it shows red rings

you had it connected with av cables right? because if you don't it shows red rings

ya, i had everything connected.

after inspecting my board, i noticed it was a little warped, possibly from over heating.

Back