Is there a mid-tier GPU that would be a notable upgrade from a 1070?

viivo

[H]ard|Gawd
Mid-tier meaning ~$450.

I've had much performance dysfunction since going from 2560x1080 to 2560x1440. That relatively small bump in resolution has brought the 1070's limitations to the forefront, and everything that ran at a solid 100fps at 2560x1080 struggles to maintain similar framerates even with significant quality reductions at 1440.

Would a 2060 or 2070 offer noticeable gains in this situation? I'd rather not wait for used 1080TIs to fall within my budget and want to avoid used and potential mining cards for now.

Other hardware if it matters:
16GB 3000 C15
MSI Z370 Gaming M5
SSDs

My opinion:

Not really...

Odd that your card is struggling that much though - I'd do the usual check temps / clean card / check drivers.

My similar setup but with a 1080ti runs Far Cry 5 at about 100fps.

Depending on what you are playing and the settings, it may not be practical for you to expect to get 100fps out of your setup.

Sell your 1070 on here from $220-$260. Buy a used 1080Ti on here for anywhere from $500-$550 and your set.

You will love it and definitely feel the upgrade

An OC'ed 2060 is at worst on par with an OC'ed 1070Ti and 5-10% faster in best case scenarios, according to the [H] review.
The 2070 OC'ed which is outside your set budget, is around 14-19% faster than an OC'ed 1080, depending on game in the [H] review.

For the best upgrade for the money vs. performance increase, the used 1080Ti without a doubt is the way to go. If you don't want used, than the 2080 or Radeon VII are your only choices then, but with significantly higher prices than your budget allows for.

Reactions: Auer
like this
Buy a Freesync monitor cheap and sell your old monitor or return it. Otherwise used GTX 1080Ti but Freesync is the way to go.

An OC'ed 2060 is at worst on par with an OC'ed 1070Ti and 5-10% faster in best case scenarios, according to the [H] review.
The 2070 OC'ed which is outside your set budget, is around 14-19% faster than an OC'ed 1080, depending on game in the [H] review.

For the best upgrade for the money vs. performance increase, the used 1080Ti without a doubt is the way to go. If you don't want used, than the 2080 or Radeon VII are your only choices then, but with significantly higher prices than your budget allows for.

You can get a 2070 for $470 off Newegg right now. That's 30-40% faster than his 1070. He said ~$450, which means approximately 450, so it works. Vega 64 is in a similar ball park and comes with 3 free games....

You can get a 2070 for $470 off Newegg right now. That's 30-40% faster than his 1070. He said ~$450, which means approximately 450, so it works. Vega 64 is in a similar ball park and comes with 3 free games....

Valid point. I wasn't aware the Egg had them that cheap

Valid point. I wasn't aware the Egg had them that cheap

Yeah, that 3x free game package with Vega 64 is sweet too if they are games you want. Division 2, Devil May Cry 5, and Resident Evil 2.

I’ve been wanting to switch up my genres so it was appealing to me.

“Worth it” either route is up to the OP of course. Value is basically a personal opinion.

I also say buy a used 1080 ti. I just got a Strix myself for $500 shipped on Facebook group. Stay away from Ebay, people are paying too much on there.

Yeah right now I'm running a 1070 at that same res. It certainly isn't as good as the 1080 ti but it still gets the job done. With gsync I'm having no problems but I certainly don't mind turning down settings for better fps. If you do then you definitely want a 1080 or better.

Have you had a bad time with used cards? Why the aversion to them? $350 for a 1080 pretty easily.

Have you had a bad time with used cards? Why the aversion to them? $350 for a 1080 pretty easily.

I've owned several used cards with no problems at all.

But when over $300 a warranty becomes attractive.

$450?

Here is what you do with that $450..... get on Facebook Marketplace and start spamming 1080 Ti owners and offer them $450 and tell them that's your only offer it won't go any higher, that you have the cash and you can meet at the earliest convenience. Have him come to you and install the card, test it out and go from there.

I promise you will find a seller, especially if it's the end of the month and they have bills to pay within days to a week.

And don't worry about RTX ..... You're never ever going to see any great results from RTX for at least a few years. Sure, there will be a few titles here and there but as a 2080 ti owner ... it's nothing to get excited about.

$450?

Here is what you do with that $450..... get on Facebook Marketplace and start spamming 1080 Ti owners and offer them $450 and tell them that's your only offer it won't go any higher, that you have the cash and you can meet at the earliest convenience. Have him come to you and install the card, test it out and go from there.

I promise you will find a seller, especially if it's the end of the month and they have bills to pay within days to a week.

And don't worry about RTX ..... You're never ever going to see any great results from RTX for at least a few years. Sure, there will be a few titles here and there but as a 2080 ti owner ... it's nothing to get excited about.

Indeed! Tell a stranger to come over to your house where you will have cash waiting!

Indeed! Tell a stranger to come over to your house where you will have cash waiting!

Yeah because everyone is murders and rapists and thieves and life is so hard and brutal and we all have to live in fear, and hide in corners and cry and weep ..... oh the agony of pain and life, the fear and confusion and ugliness of it all ...

$450?

Who’s going to sell you a 1080ti for only $450 then be willing to drive to your house and install it? That’s a tiny percentage of sellers if any. I sold two 1080ti on Letgo in the past two days and got $580 for one and $560 cash for the other.

My friend just bought a 1080 ti for $450 maybe 10 or 11 days ago. Met the guy at a Taco join and he even bought us a beer! Go to Facebook Marketplace and Craigslist .. tons of 1080 ti's for $500 to $600. I just messaged a guy with a brand new in the box PNY 1080 ti and he said he would take $500 ... he was asking $600.

You guys must be scared to haggle on top of scared to deal with people or something? It's not hard to find a great deal on a used 1080 Ti.

My friend just bought a 1080 ti for $450 maybe 10 or 11 days ago. Met the guy at a Taco join and he even bought us a beer! Go to Facebook Marketplace and Craigslist .. tons of 1080 ti's for $500 to $600. I just messaged a guy with a brand new in the box PNY 1080 ti and he said he would take $500 ... he was asking $600.

You guys must be scared to haggle on top of scared to deal with people or something? It's not hard to find a great deal on a used 1080 Ti.

You should always be cautious when meeting strangers with any pricy items. $500 for a blower style PNY makes sense, I guess living in different parts of the USA has different costs. I should come to where you live and buy items.

Reactions: Auer
like this
Yes, meeting up in states that have little to no impediments to carrying (concealed or otherwise) has less risk. :whistle:

Reactions: DBZ33
like this

You realize "scared" and "common sense" are different things right?

Calling people you know nothing about "Scared" is also some pretty dumb shit. But w/e.

Wow this thread got derailed quick.

OP- I moved to a 1080ti from a 1070. I saw a huge performance increase.

Back