Is the Mining Craze Over for Now

I just want to find a RX580 at less than $220 for my little brother, to run his 1080p rig. Let's go!

I noticed last evening that EVGA has an $80 Instant Rebate on one of their 1080 AIO models.

^^^This.

Plus I already spent my money that I was going to use on video cards on other things. Their loss, not mine. Congrats to AMD/Nvidia, they lost a customer that would have given them tons of business over the next years to chase a little bit of fast profit. I don't patronize businesses that throw their long time customers under the bus. See below for reference:

https://hardforum.com/threads/fed-u...-suck-it-up-and-mine.1956631/#post-1043540087

LOOOOOL

Enjoy your intel integrated graphics.

No offense, this post is pure bull****.

LOOOOOL

Why would I need a graphics card from AMD/Nvidia/Intel or otherwise for non-gaming hobbies? You seem to have missed my point that I'll just spend my money on non-gaming hobbies instead. Not having a new GPU won't impact my upcoming trip the the Adirondack mountains in any way.

AMD/Nvidia can place conditions of purchase on their distributors.

They MIGHT do so to prevent dealers from selling below MSRP...but why on earth would they want to restrict the profit a dealer can make from selling them OVER MSRP? No manufacturer would EVER dictate that! Again, you need to learn how capitalism works. And take your entitlement out the door with you when you leave, please!

They MIGHT do so to prevent dealers from selling below MSRP...but why on earth would they want to restrict the profit a dealer can make from selling them OVER MSRP? No manufacturer would EVER dictate that! Again, you need to learn how capitalism works. And take your entitlement out the door with you when you leave, please!

Whatever scro, I'm not sure you get the idea that I'm "entitled". I have a standard that I demand to be treated as a customer, if they don't meet that standard then I won't spend my money there. This is literally capitalism at work, "voting" with your wallet. They don't have to meet what I consider acceptable practices if they choose not to. I'm free to criticize what I feel are poor business practices, if they disagree they can do whatever.

I have X amount of dollars and Y amount of hobbies for discretionary spending. I'll keep busy and have fun, just doing other things.

At some point if/when GPU mining vanishes they will need customers, they've put themselves low on my hobby priority list. When you essentially abandon your core customers that have been with you for decades because some flash in the pan new customer wants to spend a lot, don't expect your core customers to stick around.

Yep, I have been gaming on PS4 lately...they have been killing it with exclusives.

LOOOOOL

To be fair, I have been doing the same. I have wanted to upgrade to a 1080Ti for quite some time now, but eventually said screw it and bought a vintage Sony TA-2000F preamp and TA-3200F power amp instead. I can find other stuff to play around with rather than my PC. Barley touched it in months.

And when a PS4 can render 2k @144, I will be sure to check it out.

I am a pretty big graphics whore, but I will still say that graphics aren't shit without gameplay, and there's a hell of a lot of quality gameplay on PS4. And since I have the Pro, graphics are good too.

Also, Horizon: Zero Dawn at 4K is the best-looking game I have ever seen, PC included.

I just remember MSRP is suggested, not wrote in stone.

You'll pay what the market is willing and if the buyers are mining you get to decide if you're willing to deal with a high price.

I was lucky and got mine at MSRP .

Would I have liked to have purchased if for 600... Only an idiot would say no.

Would I buy a mine card? Yes if it was an evga with an active 5yr warranty.

Will new cards make the old ones cheaper.... Well the MSRP will drop but the market price will do what it wants.

Try to find a craigist card instead, thats my suggestion.

But AI doesn't do squat for gaming graphics..
You couldn't be more wrong about that. It might not do anything for the way graphics is rendered on a computer, but the way assets are created? That's an entirely different story. Beyond a certain complexity level it is not feasible to make game assets manually with human artists and modelers. That feasibility issue can be overcome with AI technology.

This would be an ideal time to release some very new GPU tech and leave the second hand market in the dust.

This would be an ideal time to release some very new GPU tech and leave the second hand market in the dust.

this would be the perfect time to release alot of older cards with cheap memory on them. ie. polaris with gddr3

Some people bought the video cards they wanted for gaming when the cards first came out, there were plenty and were around MSRP & didn't worry for the next 1 to 2 years.

Some people didn't buy the video cards they "claim" to "need" when they could, and then shouted all loud and hard for a bit when prices were high for about 4 to 5 months, now that prices are going back down those same people are saying they won't buy said card because somehow they feel hurt that for a few months they were pricey / scarce..

The GPU makers strategy to not produce too much in case of a sudden demand drop paid off & both of the 2 main ones got a nice extra bottom line boost.

The GPU makers will go on making GPUs as they best feel the market can take them & eventually will release a new generation.

So whine or not whine, you have 2 choices if you want to play games, but the GPU makers know good and well that depending on the fickle gamers for their only revenue is a fool's game and they will keep expanding the other uses for their technology.

Yep, I have been gaming on PS4 lately...they have been killing it with exclusives.

Yup of course money goes to AMD(not very much, console margins are crap) but poor PC guys are missing out on some of the best games i've ever played.

To be fair, I have been doing the same. I have wanted to upgrade to a 1080Ti for quite some time now, but eventually said screw it and bought a vintage Sony TA-2000F preamp and TA-3200F power amp instead. I can find other stuff to play around with rather than my PC. Barley touched it in months.

When your 980's get outdated... you'll be back :)

That other dude will to. No competition really, this is what we got. Assuming of course AMD isn't bankrupt by then.

When your 980's get outdated... you'll be back :)

That other dude will to. No competition really, this is what we got. Assuming of course AMD isn't bankrupt by then.

I think it's more like, once there is a killer PC-exclusive that comes out that requires more than a 980...they (may) be back. For me it will probably be something like Cyberpunk 2077, or Metro Exodus.

Like them, I have barely touched my gaming PC in the last few months. Between PS4 and other hobbies, I haven't really had the urge to do anything PC gaming-related. The only thing I have really done lately is VR, and it does make me thankful I have a 1080, but I haven't seen any reason to upgrade thus far.

I think it's more like, once there is a killer PC-exclusive that comes out that requires more than a 980...they (may) be back. For me it will probably be something like Cyberpunk 2077, or Metro Exodus.

Like them, I have barely touched my gaming PC in the last few months. Between PS4 and other hobbies, I haven't really had the urge to do anything PC gaming-related. The only thing I have really done lately is VR, and it does make me thankful I have a 1080, but I haven't seen any reason to upgrade thus far.
Honestly, I think it just depends on where your social element is. I find that to be far more important than the platform.

If there's one thing I've learned over the years regarding most (not all) PC gamers ... they are not a patient bunch.

Will be interesting to see how high end GPU sales go even with bargain pricing.

Only PC game I'm looking to buy in 2018 is Metro Exodus and I'm confident my trusty GTX 970 will be able to handle it quite nicely but should 1070 pricing actually be what MSRP was at time of release I might buy one, maybe, but not likely

Last edited:
If there's one thing I've learned over the years regarding most (not all) PC gamers ... they are not a patient bunch.

Will be interesting to see how high end GPU sales go even with bargain pricing.

Only PC game I'm looking to buy in 2018 is Metro Exodus and I'm confident my trusty GTX 970 will be able to handle it quite nicely

First time my machine dropped frames in battlefield 2 or 3 and I got killed because of it? NewEgg got an order that same night. Patience with vendors is one thing, patience with shoddy performance is another. One just hurts your wallet. The other hurts your keyboard first, then your wallet later.

^^^This.

Plus I already spent my money that I was going to use on video cards on other things. Their loss, not mine. Congrats to AMD/Nvidia, they lost a customer that would have given them tons of business over the next years to chase a little bit of fast profit. I don't patronize businesses that throw their long time customers under the bus. See below for reference:

https://hardforum.com/threads/fed-u...-suck-it-up-and-mine.1956631/#post-1043540087
Cue massacre in 3...2...1...

I have X amount of dollars and Y amount of hobbies for discretionary spending. I'll keep busy and have fun, just doing other things.

At some point if/when GPU mining vanishes they will need customers, they've put themselves low on my hobby priority list. When you essentially abandon your core customers that have been with you for decades because some flash in the pan new customer wants to spend a lot, don't expect your core customers to stick around.
I'm sure Nvidia and AMD are regretting the tens - if not hundreds - of thousands of cards they sold to dirty miners causing them to lose a whole 10 or so card purchases over the next 20 years.

I'm sure you'll be a real asset to the firearm community as well - at least til ammo prices go up again.

That may very well be the case. I actually saw a 1080ti go for 600 flat on Craigslist earilyer

To be fair they didn't really abandoned customers. Ramping up preduction isn't that easy and it's a risky move to try to do it when most of the demand is crypto based. All they did was not descriminate on who bought there cards and up the price Abit. Both I would consider to be completely ligitement moves
Actually, blame the retailers for seeing a demand and gouging the market. That's what really happened here. It's much harder to increase chip production than it is to increase gasoline production (the quickest comparable I could think of offhand).

Yaay. Now lets hope that when the new cards come out they don't spark interest with miners... at least long enough to see some [H] reviews to make a good, sensible choice to make an actual purchase.
I hear Kyle likes to hang out on the loading dock at Fry's, passing out Benjamin's to the employees to slip him an early arrival... (/s)

AMD/Nvidia can place conditions of purchase on their distributors.
Good luck with that.

Besides, WHY WOULD THEY??? The more cards the retailers sell, the more chips they can make (up to the maximum the chip fabs can handle). They get more demand, raise the price of the chips, and profit.

If the nVidia/GPP brouhaha hasn't taught ya, nVidia are a greedy lot of fuckers, and will sell their mothers on street corners for a profit; so this will make them happier'n a pig in slop.

nvida and amd are not as involved in sales as you may think. that would be there partners. there also isnt any way that would actually keep gpus out of miners hands. and many of thease miners have been decades long customers as well. and again are you saying you will never buy another gpu?
He's gonna go dust off that old Commodore 64...

The only thing you've said in this thread I can 100% agree on!

Personally, I would prefer that GPU mining would be a sustainable economy, and the manufacturers ramp up their production to meet demand. That keeps the market moving, as both AMD and nVidia will be able to have enough cash flow to produce new products. If the market is left to just gamers, I fear there won't be much of a market in a few years.
TSRH. Kids can't even hold pencils anymore: after a few years of VR, their hands will atrophy so much that they won't even be able to hold a controller, much less type and move a mouse.

And that's then Skynet will insert us all into those lovely little coppertop cocoons...

no company would purpose make gear for a specific coin. asics are a borderline scam. the best case scenario would be a general compute card being released
Not really, even the most basic ASICS can compute faster than a video card can, and does it without sharing anything at all with it.

When do we get cards that don't stutter? Titan XP is a POS that has micro lag quite often playing MWO @ 1080p FFS
nVidia is reaching into your machine thru their drivers to use your compute cycles to mine for them... <_< >_>

Now THERE'S a helluva rumor to make the rumor mill hit "OVERLOAD"... :D

Not really, even the most basic ASICS can compute faster than a video card can, and does it without sharing anything at all with it.

Eh. The ethereum Asics are about as fast as 6 gpus and cost about the same as 6 gpus. Asic manufacrurers make alot of money by selling the Asics way in advance and mining on them before they ship them. That makes most very hard to ever hit roi on and still keeps most miners away from them

Back