Is project cars 2 anygood?

tangoseal

[H]F Junkie
I was looking at videos on Project cars 2 and was thinking maybe it is worth getting it for my Rift?

Any thoughts on the game? Is it worth it?

Maybe I'm an idiot but the handling seems...weird. Can't seem to drive a car without it fishtailing everywhere.

The VR, however, is amazing. Never seen a racing game that does it as well. I don't know what it is but the depth and graphics make it blow past the likes of Dirt Rally in VR. Also the support for VR is extensive and very customizable.

As for the game...I just got it last night so I'll have to see. I say if you have the money just get it on Steam and refund if you aren't digging it.

I've seen a review that said VR was bugged in a way.

Looking at the reviews, there's still a lot of AI problems. Hardest level AI on snow and dirt doesn't really jive too well.

I'm going to wait until it's on sale to pick it up. I'm hoping a good patch will come - but this is what game I'm hoping to get lost in.

Can anybody that has iRacing give an impression of how pCars2 compares?

Don't have iRacing, but I did pick up PC2 as I'm a sucker for any racing game that has full VR support and doesn't require a subscription to play.

My take is that PC2 is what PC1 really should have been. VR support is now seamless and visuals are fantastic. Just about everything has been polished and detailed - you can tell they put a lot of work into cleaning things up and allowing for lots of user customization. I had some issues with PC1, but nothing that couldn't be worked around.... PC2 is pretty much flawless for me so far.

Last edited:
Don't have iRacing, but I did pick up PC2 as I'm a sucker for any racing game that has full VR support and doesn't require a subscription to play.

My take is that PC2 is what PC1 really should have been. VR support is now seamless and visuals are fantastic. Just about everything has been polished and detailed - you can tell they put a lot of work into cleaning things up and allowing for lots of user customization. I had some issues with PC1, but nothing that couldn't be worked around.... PC2 is pretty much flawless for me so far.

IRacing is pretty flawless - including perspective correct mirrors. It's amazing how much more immersive that makes it vs. say Assetto Corsa that doesn't have them. Does pCars2 have that? Can you elaborate a little on what makes it more immersive vs. pCars1 (I played that a decent amount as I was an early backer and actually got some royalty payments)?

Yep, perspective is accounted for in all the mirrors - move your head and what you see in them moves as well. Not sure I'd call it vastly more immersive though, just much, much more polished overall and being able to really tune/tweak things to your heart's desire for VR. This guy (hard core sim racer) does a pretty good video as to sharing the experience and what to expect:

Yep, perspective is accounted for in all the mirrors - move your head and what you see in them moves as well. Not sure I'd call it vastly more immersive though, just much, much more polished overall and being able to really tune/tweak things to your heart's desire for VR. This guy (hard core sim racer) does a pretty good video as to sharing the experience and what to expect:

That is a great video, this guy could be on TV as an announcer - very polished/professional. I wished I had a wheel for this.

It's awesome on VR when it works...
Been having some problems with my Rift, enough that I almost nearly threw it out the window.
Rift support has finally agreed to exchange it (mine was purchased through best buy in December last year).
Hopefully I can finally get more than 10 seconds to 5 minutes of play time in.

Other than that mini rant, PC2 is great in VR for me. Very smooth and I've seen now flaws. AI on anything above medium difficulty can be a bit aggressive.

Snow is fun to drive in. Driving a c7 z06 reminds me of driving my old truck in crap weather, it feels accurate to me.

The fuck? How is a old truck comparable to a customized Corvette?

I think he is referring to the wheel slip etc.

If you have never lived where it snows then you would not understand that literally ALL CARS feel the same once they start slipping regardless of what they are.

I lived in Montana for many a long year and let me tell you 1000 lbs of sandbags in the back of my truck and the damn thing still slipped. Even my Subaru forester with AWD slipped like a mofo and it all feels the same.

I think he is referring to the wheel slip etc.

If you have never lived where it snows then you would not understand that literally ALL CARS feel the same once they start slipping regardless of what they are.

I lived in Montana for many a long year and let me tell you 1000 lbs of sandbags in the back of my truck and the damn thing still slipped. Even my Subaru forester with AWD slipped like a mofo and it all feels the same.

Correct.
The traction loss in the game feels very realistic.

I think I will be getting pc2. Weather effects do look amazing. Vr performance has been said to be well optimized

I havent been able to use VR with Async Time Warp (ATW) in anything before.
Project Cars used to make me feel light headed which meant I had to use pretty low settings to get 90fps constant.

Project Cars 2 is much better, I didnt notice time warp was active at times until I looked at my Afterburner graph.
Since then I have maxed out a ton of settings in VR some of which add detail that masks aliasing.
It looks fantastic and still drives great with very high settings and SuperSamplig maxed, locked at 45fps.
There is no weird feeling.
Most impressive.

A friend came round yesterday who is a driving nut.
He was quiet for a while as he drove so I asked him what it was like.
He said "its like being in the fucking car"!

this may be of some use to folks:

I got PCars 1 last christmas for a sale...that was when hoping to get wheel controllers. barely played it. i got Oculus this summer and Dirt Rally during a sale, but still no wheel.
Hoping can get a wheel (G29) before end of year then will look for pcars2.

Doubtful... There are a lots of settings to tweak, and turning super sampling all the way up as well while leaving everything maxed will most likely result in the game not being able to maintain 90FPS consistently in VR. A 1080TI will get you some really, really nice visuals though once you dial everything in as to settings that work well for your rig... I've got an overclocked/waterblocked Titan X (Pascal) and haven't really messed much with graphics settings - whenever I fire it up, I'm just too busy enjoying racing in VR to bother! :D

Last edited:
Doubtful... There are a lots of settings to tweak, and turning super sampling all the way up as well while leaving everything maxed will most likely result in the game not being able to maintain 90FPS consistently in VR. A 1080TI will get you some really, really nice visuals though once you dial everything in as to settings that work well for your rig... I've got an overclocked/waterblocked Titan X (Pascal) and haven't really messed much with graphics settings - whenever I fire it up, I'm just too busy enjoying racing in VR to bother! :D

Ok that sounds good then. Hrrm wonder if this title supports SLI. Traditionally I do not believe Oculus titles support SLI unless the game dev builds it in. I have two 1080ti Asus Poseidon cards.

I havent got game yet. Do you think a 1080ti can max out its settings?
Depends on the resolution.
At 1080p you can max everything with SuperSampling on full.
Avg clock speed is around 1500MHz and its using 72% GPU with 16 cars.
With my gfx card thats around 54% GPU use in real money.

I have blur turned off which supposedly increases fps when on.

Well I just bought the game on Steam. The $59.00 one. I will get the DLC pack for $29.00 more if I like it.

I am hoping that Oculus looks great with the game. I may or may not play it in 2d but I 100% bought the game for 3d.

With Rift VR you get a choice of SuperSampling on full with really high settings at 45fps with ATW. This looks fantastic! Really!!
Or SS on full with much lower settings at 90fps. This still looks quite good but without some quality settings turned up the Aliasing looks more exposed.
With a single 1080ti.

I found ATW doesnt cause me any weirdness like it did in PC1 so I turn all the settings up and run at 45fps interpolated to 90fps.
You can save GPU by lowering the flat screen res. This doesnt affect image quality while racing in VR but the menus suffer.
I set mine to 1024x768, some menu items are a bit tricky to read. I dont know how much GPU that saved I simply changed the res as low as I can tolerate in the menus and rolled with it.

In 2d I am getting full gsync 100 fps which my X34 can do with the game absolutely maxed on a single GPU.

VR will be later tonight when I try it out. Not sure how to launch the game in VR yet.

Anyways its a really cool game for the last hour I have played it but I am already bored with it lol, yup after one hour and 10 mins of gameplay.... racing sims feel the same after a while. Maybe I need to get in VR and then make my final assessment.

I havent got game yet. Do you think a 1080ti can max out its settings?

I don't know about others but I can run the game max settings (by what I can tell) perfectly fine on my Oculus and single GTX 1080. A 1080Ti should have ZERO issues with this game.

I played in VR but ... its still just boring to me. I guess I hit burnout on racing sims from countless hours across a wide variety of titles over the years. Im going to ask for a refund.

The game is clearly a 5 out of 5

I don't know about others but I can run the game max settings (by what I can tell) perfectly fine on my Oculus and single GTX 1080. A 1080Ti should have ZERO issues with this game.

I was wondering that, was thinking about getting the game.

I was wondering that, was thinking about getting the game.

Yeah I refunded the game. Not because it was a bad game. Its pretty badass. But I know that after about 3 days I will never touch it again. Burn out after all the need for speeds, forzas, etc... over the years. The VR was amazing. The game is a 5/5 easy. Just one of my 1080ti could easily max the game even in VR with headroom left over. So if you have a top of the line ti or Vega 64 you should be fine at max.

you get the most enjoyment out of racing sims in VR if you have the hardware.. steering wheel etc
I love VR racing with my rig.

Unless you have a decent wheel setup (G25/27/29 or thrustmasters), your experience might suck ass with an xbox controller lol

Then again it might not ;)
Its brilliant with a controller.
I use a GPX Lightback (with trigger spring reduction) and XB1 controllers.

From my short time of playing VR Project Cars 2:

VR is like masturbation. It's not the real thing, but it's good enough to get your rocks off.
You also don't need to worry about wrecking your car or your wee-wee.

From my short time of playing VR Project Cars 2:

VR is like masturbation. It's not the real thing, but it's good enough to get your rocks off.
You also don't need to worry about wrecking your car or your wee-wee.

Well, that's certainly a raging boner of an endorsement. :D

Those that think VR is a 1:1 substitute for getting behind the wheel of an actual high performance race car obviously need a reality check. (Hint: It's not)

I would however propose that a good VR setup with the right peripherals (good wheel, pedals, seat, sound transducers) completely blows the doors off a similar racing sim setup that uses traditional 2D LCD screens for visuals.

Yep.
I lap faster when I put my VR headset on and it seems easier too.

Well, that's certainly a raging boner of an endorsement. :D

Those that think VR is a 1:1 substitute for getting behind the wheel of an actual high performance race car obviously need a reality check. (Hint: It's not)

I would however propose that a good VR setup with the right peripherals (good wheel, pedals, seat, sound transducers) completely blows the doors off a similar racing sim setup that uses traditional 2D LCD screens for visuals.

When I can get the damn game to work, it's pretty awesome. I've been unable to get past crashes trying to play in VR.

VR would be better with a steering wheel, I'm using a normal controller.... which isn't as bad as keyboard.

The thing about getting behind the wheel of a high performance car is the lack of G forces, the much crisper detail to everything, and the fear that you may possibly die somehow.

But VR is also a heck of a lot cheaper than taking a car to race day.

Back