Is project cars 2 anygood?

Actually, a really good racing sim in VR can replace a lot of real track time. It's not a 1:1 replacement, you still need to go our there in the real car, of course, but if you run 50-100 laps in VR you can hop in the car and immediately know the track so all of your time is spent learning about the car and how it behaves and improving it with very little time trying to learn the track.

I ran a chumpcar race on VIR Grand course, which is a seldom used configuration, and having run a bunch of laps in VR before hand (on the old Oculus dk1, not even the much better consumer version) I was blowing everyone away because I knew the track and they didn't. It would have cost a thousand dollars or so to get that kind of running on-track and it wouldn't have been on the full grand course, but a shorter configuration, not counting the possiblity of damaging the car and any consumables.

It would have been better if the actual car I was driving was in-game, but I used a close approximation (Miata in game, Porsche 944 irl). I've done the same for track days in higher powered stuff and find I only have to run 10-15 laps in the real car to get as much as I can out of it, instead of 2-3x that without prep in the sim before-hand.

Back