Is GT710 good enough to run 4k @60hz and 2nd monitor at 1080p?

larciel

n00b
Looking for cheap GPU for my sister who is CPA. Just got the dell 34" wide monitor and she has 1080p 2nd monitor.

Googled for cheapest gpu for 4k and gt710 came up. Is that good enough?
And what is cheapest for doing dual 4k@60hz?

Me being active in early 2000, nvidia number I recon is GF3 Ti. Lol. This uncle needs your help.

Honestly, if you check out the list of supported resolutions, even ancient cards, like the Radeon 9800 series from the late 90s; they usually state they can do "resolutions up to XXXX" where XXXX was 4k resolution. For the time, pretty extreme resolutions as output. The catch-22 is monitors that supported that resolution costed the price of a house and there was NO way you could render gaming at that resolution. What it would do is render text-documents or spreadsheets at that resolution or stretch high resolution 720x480 (at the time) to that 4k. Rarely would it even upscale. There was no horsepower in the tank to game at that resolution if you happened to own a compatible monitor/projector/series of monitors. If that's all your CPA sister needs to do....then really anything after market will practically work.

So it depends. Gaming at 4k on a GT710? Hahaha no. It's a $35 dollar video card. Unless your sister's definition of gaming is "Plants vs Zombies", "Wheel of Fortune", "Bejewled/Candy Crush", etc, that's the only way she'd be able to game at 4k with that card. 4k GAMING ultra or high quality with games like Red Dead Redemption 2, Metro 3, etc requires currently to get a semi-consistent average 45 FPS with minimums above 30 probably 2080 super or for 50 average // 40-25 min a 2080TI. The former card is about $700 and the later is closer to $900 ish. You could get some nice budget $250-$300 cards though that will give you fairly solid high-graphics details at 60 avg fps at 1080p in the latest games. Something like a new 2060.

You'll probably have to wait until ~2028 to ~2030 until you can play today's games in 4k at the $35 dollar price mark. Like 4 more rounds of Moore's law.

1582842346478.png

Last edited:
Thx.
She does no games at all.
My concern was that underpowered gpu couldn't push dual monitors with at least one being 4k.@60hz.

Even though gt710 can do 4k res on paper, I am not sure how it will work with dual monitor setup with 1 @4k and 2nd monitor @ 1080p.

Thx.
My concern was that underpowered gpu couldn't push dual monitors with at least one being 4k.@60hz.

Even though gt710 can do 4k res on paper, I am not sure how it will work with dual monitor setup with 1 @4k and 2nd monitor @ 1080p.
the 60Hz is another key part, My old Radeon 280x can display on a 4k monitor but its HDMI ports topped out at 30hz and only the DsP could handle 60hz.

You could buy something that costs a little bit more and would guarantee decent desktop performance. RX580's are commonly around $100. Or you could look up a 1050Ti.
Both are overkill for someone doing spreadsheets, but you'd have no question that you'd be fine.
There's plenty of people selling used hardware here on the forums as well.

Thx.

It's really more about the ports the card has versus how powerful the GPU is.

I'd just go with something that has two or more DisplayPort ports, like a 1050 Ti or RX500 series. They cost a few bucks more, but they're WAAAAY better.

It's really more about the ports the card has versus how powerful the GPU is.

I'd just go with something that has two or more DisplayPort ports, like a 1050 Ti or RX500 series. They cost a few bucks more, but they're WAAAAY better.

This. You wont find a 710 with a displayport and hdmi together. Every one I've seen are DVI, HDMI and a VGA. They are made to support legacy hardware so having these ports is important. Plus anyone whos running dual display monitors will likely spring for something thats not the absolute bottom of the barrel for a gpu.

Back