Is Amazon Shipping Slow?

Comixbooks

Fully [H]
Joined
Jun 7, 2008
Messages
26,467
I ordered some stuff and with Prime it says it will be here the next day. But without Prime it takes a whole week.I'm starting to think this is the strategy to get you to move to a Prime sub just so you get your stuff sooner then later. I know when I have a Prime sub for just a month it makes me order more stuff than usual so I do without one most of the year.
 
Last edited:
Maybe i'm missing some sort of inside joke in this thread but shipping times from Amazon have always been accurate for me. Its entirely down to where you live.

If I order things that say they'll be here the next day, they're here the next day. Hell some things I order in the morning will be there same day.

As long as you're buying only Sold by/Shipped by Amazon items, the experience is usually great but maybe its just me.
 
Amazon is pretty much the only online retailer that I am aware of that prioritizes processing/shipping of orders based on if you are premium member or normal..

If I order something from Newegg.. and I'm not "newegg+".. they still charge my card almost always same day.. process my order and at least get the movement going on packaging and shipping...
Amazon... takes a week to even charge the debit/credit card and send you communication that the order is being processed...
 
And a lot comes down to drivers. I've watched them loop a block 4 times without stopping. We had really bad ice and sleet and my driveway was a sheet of ice. I have instructions "if driveway is bad leave at bottom by recycle bin" and i put orange cones down to block the driveway so no one would get stuck. He drove around the cones through the yard back into the driveway.
 
Yeah it's crazy, e-tailers even charge for expedited shipping. So greedy smh wtfbbq
 
Lots of "questionable" suppliers leverage Amazon. Just saying.
 
If I could use Amazon's Prime shipping for every online purchase I make, I would. I get 90% of the items I order within 2 days. If it's simple consumer goods (food, batteries, simple tech, etc.) it shows up early 1/2 the time. I've never had them be more than a day off, and when they have been it's been due to major weather incidents. The app tells me when the driver is out for delivery, he's 10 stops away or whatever, and it's within the time window provided almost every time.
The only times where things got funky have been when I've ordered clothing. I think the Amazon savings tend to connect you directly with the places in Asia making the stuff. They tend to be cheap, but I've had shoes and t-shirts take a full month to show up. The shipping timeframe provided tends to always be wrong, too. They've quoted me 10-12 weeks and it'll show up in 8. Usually via USPS and in a bag marked China or Thailand. The order in Amazon's system never seems to update, either.
 
If it ships from an actual Amazon warehouse, I'll get it within a day or two. (I have Prime) -- when my wife orders me gifts on a separate non-Prime account so I don't see notifications for what she got me, it can take a week or more. So.. it does prioritize your shipping. I have Amazon sometimes deliver to my house 2 or 3 times throughout the course of the day. It seems weird they wouldn't just make one trip.. haha.
 
I mean i keep prime, the hiccups for me are far below the average good experience i have from it.
 
I live in a wealthy suburb and for normal orders they're delivered by 2 days just like they say. Someone driving the electric amazon vans will deliver them.
For overnight or same day it's usually some random person in their own car, and they also come by the time it says on the website.

I buy a lot of stuff on amazon and it's rarely late.
I think they actually have multiple amazon vans come down my street per day. People buy a lot of stuff where I live.

If it's something weird that got shipped through UPS or Fedex it's usually slow by comparison. If it's something that got sent through USPS then it's roflslow.
 
Their shipping is pretty quick, it's the processing that's usually slow. If you do "no-rush" shipping, they will wait a week (at least) before sending your package to the shipper, and then it'll take a day or three to arrive, depending on your location. Sometimes they'll send it out in under a week, usually that's if the warehouse is very far from you, it'll still take a week or more from the order date to arrive, because that's how they prioritize shipments.

2-day shipping rarely takes 3 days or more, in my experience. If it does, it's usually because there was a processing delay or it landed on a weekend/holiday.
 
With Prime we generally get everything on time(we order probably 10 to 30 packages a month on average). But there's always the random item that shows up as being in stock, with two day shipping when we place the order. Buuut then...the follow up email suddenly changes it to being 2-3 weeks out.

I recently had one of these orders pop up. Normally, I don't get any other follow up emails until the package ships. In this case it wasn't an important item, so I cancelled it that morning. I'd pick it up at Meijer that evening (it was half as much to boot). Miraculously, these knuckleheads somehow found the item, packed it up and shipped it out. Then tell me via email that I'll have to refuse the whopping $6 package in order to cancel it because... it's already been shipped 😂 Obviously they really really wanted me to buy those two rolls of tape.

The lesson here being, if they switch your ship date on you from 2 day shipping to 2 or 3 weeks. Just cancel that bitch! Those dipshits will trip all over themselves getting you your package! 😆
 
I get shipments very fast and their customer service is excellent. I’ve had wrong items shipped before, expensive items, and they told me to just keep them instead of returning them and they’ll ship the proper item out. The only issues I’ve ever had were by jerkwad third party sellers where the returns weren’t handled by Amazon.
 
I get shipments very fast and their customer service is excellent. I’ve had wrong items shipped before, expensive items, and they told me to just keep them instead of returning them and they’ll ship the proper item out. The only issues I’ve ever had were by jerkwad third party sellers where the returns weren’t handled by Amazon.
Yes! I have had fantastic support with amazon. Even when I made a complaint about a driver hitting my retaining wall and they were immediately ready to work with me and getting a quote to fix it. I didn't need them to as it wasn't much effort on my part, just wanted their driver never to come here again lol.
 
Amazon support is usually great, but occasionally I've had trouble with branded sub-stores. For instance, I bought a KB/M combo from Logitech's Amazon store a few months ago. Everything was handled via Prime. However, when the "C" key didn't work and the capslock light was busted, I requested a return/refund. Most of the time Amazon just eats it and they offer to send a new one if you want. Not this time. They made me drop it off at a Kohl's store OR I could ship it back via my own dime. The Kohl's store apparently sits on stuff for long stretches, so they didn't get the damned thing back or issue my refund for 6 weeks.
 
I live in a wealthy suburb and for normal orders they're delivered by 2 days just like they say. Someone driving the electric amazon vans will deliver them.
For overnight or same day it's usually some random person in their own car, and they also come by the time it says on the website.

I buy a lot of stuff on amazon and it's rarely late.
I think they actually have multiple amazon vans come down my street per day. People buy a lot of stuff where I live.

If it's something weird that got shipped through UPS or Fedex it's usually slow by comparison. If it's something that got sent through USPS then it's roflslow.
I live in a middle income neighborhood and I get everything within 2 days if it's eligible for Prime shipping. There is a distribution center about 20 miles from me that is about 10 minutes from the regional airport, so that helps.
 
My prime deliveries average five business days, yes I have prime. I have complained and they say "best effort".
 
Yeah, Amazon is pretty terrible with regards to what they have done with Prime.

It started out as a perk that was almost worth it, but you still got "normal" service even if you didn't have it.

Now you need prime just to get "normal" service, and are severely penalized if you don't have it.

Probably the #1 thing that I hate is the minimum dollar amount required to get free shipping if you don't have prime. It used to be $25, now it's $35 I believe. That's really shady because in many cases you're just trying to buy something that costs maybe $10, but the shipping will also be almost $10, effectively doubling the price of that item unless you buy a lot more stuff that you don't need. I'm really not sure why they do that, because in 98% of those cases I can just go to newegg, ebay, or any number of other online retailers and get the same item for the same price WITH free (and fast) shipping.

I pretty much only buy on Amazon these days if they have a genuine better deal on the item I want compared to other retailers, it's above the $35 threshold, and I'm not in a hurry. But ultimately Amazon is losing a LOT of business from me because of how they punish those who don't have Prime.
 
Depends where you live I think. Living in San Francisco near a prime facility, I sometimes get things same day.
 
Amazon shipping has been horrible and I'm a prime member. A lot of time it takes days for Amazon to ship the item and the a couple more for it to get here. I live in NE Ohio so we have a distribution center not far from me. It's BS that it takes nearly a week for something to get to me when they're 1.5hrs away.
 
I still appreciate Amazon as they have saved me untold amounts of gas and driving aggravation over the years, but even with Prime, shipping times and order processing aren't nearly as fast as they used to be. But, for me it still beats driving to brick and mortar stores lol.
 
My shipments are quick. I get same-day, overnight (4-8am, 7-11am), next day, and two day. I find myself picking the "Amazon day delivery" more and more to stack the additional 6% on top of Amazon store card 5%.
 
I cancelled PRIME last year as their video library is weaker than the competition, their tacked on fee for ad-free is annoying af, and they kept cancelling or losing Prime Day shipments and wouldn't reship at the price I paid for.

That being said, I hadn't missed PRIME but still order from Amazon. Amazon shipping hadn't been that slow without Prime for me tbh. If I immediately need something I'll go to my local Wal-Mart, Microcenter, Target, etc.
 
Last edited:
I ordered some stuff and with Prime it says it will be here the next day. But without Prime it takes a whole week.I'm starting to think this is the strategy to get you to move to a Prime sub just so you get your stuff sooner then later. I know when I have a Prime sub for just a month it makes me order more stuff than usual so I do without one most of the year.

if deliveries were faster or the same for non-Prime members it would take away a major advantage of subscribing to Prime...
 
Welp, the CPU, RAM, and usb cables I ordered are experiencing an "unexpected delay". They were supposed to arrive tomorrow, but after being scanned leaving their California center, they've not had another update.

I can't say it's late yet, but if it doesn't arrive tomorrow, I wouldn't be surprised if it takes another week for them to just say "oops, here's a refund." :(

And the RAM price has increased, so if I order it again I'll have to pay more than the first time. :( :(

Edit: oop! They deleted the (three) "shipment delayed" notes, now it just says "shipped" (monday, the 3rd). o_O
 
Last edited:
Lots of reasons it can be slow or delayed. Especially with some of the weather we've had recently. That said, I don't give Amazon a pass anymore either. I've dropped prime finally last year simply because nearly all of my prime orders were taking generally a week+ to get here. And it wasn't the actual transit time that was the problem - it was that Amazon would typically sit on my order for 3 or 4 days before shipping it. Ironically, an order I put in last week for something without prime that was shipped same day and reached me in 3 business days.
 
So I noticed Prime members get cheaper prices in stuff I mean like 10-15 dollars off of stuff just for being a Prime member.
 
So I noticed Prime members get cheaper prices in stuff I mean like 10-15 dollars off of stuff just for being a Prime member.

yes certain products are cheaper for Prime members...they also give you access to Prime Video, Prime Gaming deals, Whole Foods partnership, Pharmacy deals etc...they really give you a lot for the money
 
Prime membership isn't cheap, but it's worth every penny if you buy from Amazon a lot. Ever since they tossed up a fulfillment center by DIA, I buy damn near everything I can from them. Stuff shows up in a day or two and is typically cheaper than most retail stores. Prime video has gotten better, too. The various apps kinda suck for browsing, but they have a pretty massive library if you're willing to dig.
 
Prime membership isn't cheap, but it's worth every penny if you buy from Amazon a lot. Ever since they tossed up a fulfillment center by DIA, I buy damn near everything I can from them. Stuff shows up in a day or two and is typically cheaper than most retail stores. Prime video has gotten better, too. The various apps kinda suck for browsing, but they have a pretty massive library if you're willing to dig.

PRIME video is annoying af for having to pay extra $ for no ads. Even then PRIME's library is weak when compared to the competition, I'll resubscribe when the next seasons of THE BOYS and Invincible is released.

yes certain products are cheaper for Prime members...they also give you access to Prime Video, Prime Gaming deals, Whole Foods partnership, Pharmacy deals etc...they really give you a lot for the money

PRIME is great if you need products right away but I was surprised how many of them were available locally, including at Wal-Mart, for cheaper prices.
 
Back
Top