• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Is a carriage return too much to ask? (linux client)

jebo_4jc

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - April 2011
2FA
Joined
Apr 8, 2005
Messages
14,572
Are all the Linux clients this way? I mean, this is rediculous. How hard would it be to code in a carriage return after each entry into the log file? There's no way I'm going to find anything useful in that mess

 
It may be the text editor you are using. If you try a more Linux friendly one I bet you will find it looks fine.
 
Typical response from non windows environments....."You're doing it wrong"

:p
 
Typical response from non windows environments....."You're doing it wrong"

:p

I see that all the time when opening certain text documents with programs like Notepad.

Use Notepad ++ like posted above.
 
Or use 'unix2dos' to convert it from unix format (linebreak) to dos format (carriage return, linebreak). Notepad will then open it fine.

H.
 
Can try open it with wordpad . but don't save it right after .. it will screw up your file :D
 
I second Notepad++ for FAH log files and config files from Linux clients.

FYI jebo, the file would look fine if you viewed in from Linux using cat or one of the text editors. I know you love to bitch about Linux, but this one is not Linux's fault.
 
from the linux command line you can do:

more /path/to/filename

--or--

less /path/to/filename

--or--

(show last 50 lines of the file)
tail -50 /path/to/filename

--or--

(show most recent activity and when new data is added, show it too)
tail -f /path/to/filename



That or use something other than notepad ;)

*edit* Notepad++ like the others mentioned is very good, my suggestion all the way for windows
 
Wow thank for all the suggestions.

There must not be much exciting stuff to talk about ;)
 
I like cat and grep or tail and more for log file review. tail messages -n 5000 |more cat messages |grep -i ups
 
Wow thank for all the suggestions.

There must not be much exciting stuff to talk about ;)

hehe sorry I'm sick with strep throat so my brain is still kinda fuzzy, hope the suggestions actually helped tho :) notepad++ has been my saving grace in windows several times over, shows line numbers etc... makes life much easier
 
I second Notepad++ for FAH log files and config files from Linux clients.

FYI jebo, the file would look fine if you viewed in from Linux using cat or one of the text editors. I know you love to bitch about Linux, but this one is not Linux's fault.
I'm a big windows/ MS fan and I have to say they got it wrong here, it is pointless having two characters to represent a new line and the proper way of doing it within visual studio is to use Enviroment.NewLine which is way overboard!
 
Back
Top