Is 60C on a Q6600 Full load safe?

Thanks. I get conflicting reports on other sites, so I want to be safe. Any other takers? What is a temp to stay below? It gets warmer here in the summer by quite a bit and I might want to keep an eye on things.

Some say 60 is high, some 70. I keep it under 75. Tjunction max for the chip is 100c.

Agreed, What cooling are you using? It's not so much the full load, it's how quickly it can disappate(sp?) heat when load drops off from 100%. 60C is the beginning of yellow area of my opinion. anything about 67 is beginning of the red area where you'll definitely put more wear and tear through the chip above that range.

I'm run my Q6600 chip at a solid 3Ghz 24/7 and never breach 59C (full load) on any core and I'm runnin a cheapy Artic Cooler

My q6600@3Ghz must be running hot... cores idle around 56 with an artic freezer with about 67 room temp. Jumps over 70 quickly on load. I don't typically run it under load. Guess I need better cooling.

My q6600@3Ghz must be running hot... cores idle around 56 with an artic freezer with about 67 room temp. Jumps over 70 quickly on load. I don't typically run it under load. Guess I need better cooling.

Old stepping with high VID?

Stepping B, Revision G0.

Intel Burn test brings it to 80 right away.

Edit: Core VID is 1.288v

Stepping B, Revision G0.

Intel Burn test brings it to 80 right away.

Edit: Core VID is 1.288v

Maybe reseat the heatsink? That seems like a lot. I had the Freezer 7 on my B3 and didn't get up that high.

Perhaps... I also have the Freezer 7. I used the stock paste though, maybe I should use artic silver 5.

Is G0 a decent revision for OC?

Perhaps... I also have the Freezer 7. I used the stock paste though, maybe I should use artic silver 5.

Is G0 a decent revision for OC?

The G0 is the BEST revision of the Q6600 for overclocking, And stick with the stock paste on the Freezer 7 Pro. It's MX-2, which performs just as well if not better than AS5.

Hmmm, okay, thanks. Any other ideas why it's running so hot? I'm reading about people with idle temps between 30 and 35. Mine is 55 to 60. It's stable for what I do, but I'd like to push it further soon when I get some better ram.

Any other ideas why it's running so hot? I'm reading about people with idle temps between 30 and 35. Mine is 55 to 60.

A couple of reasons:
- High ambient temperature
- Poor cooling inside the case
- Poor airflow layout

Could need lapping. With my q6600 G0 3.6ghz with tuniq tower (2 fans, one in center and one in behind) idle is 35c and load is 55c with all 4 cores on max.

Hmmm, okay, thanks. Any other ideas why it's running so hot? I'm reading about people with idle temps between 30 and 35. Mine is 55 to 60. It's stable for what I do, but I'd like to push it further soon when I get some better ram.

Wow, that's a pretty high idle. Maybe you shouldn't be OCing your Q6600 if its that hot. Beside, you said you don't have it at load often, so you don't really need the extra overclock.

I'll give that a shot tonight. Thanks. The case it's in is a full tower and seems to have good ventilation, but maybe I'm wrong. I don't think it's the case or ambient temp causing the high heat though, since it goes from 55 to 80 in very little time. Probably the HSF or maybe just the proc. I'll also set it to default speed and check the temps there.

On full load @3.6ghz mine tops out at 60-60-52-52, 1.4125 vcore. 1.2750 vid GO stepping. Cooled by 2x sharkoon silent eagle 2000 fans on a TRUE black. Im just finishing of lapping the cpu and TRUE, so im hoping for at least an evening of temps. Any drop in temps would be absolutely great.

Is there any chance that mine is just a hot proc off the line, or is it much more likely there is a problem with my setup?

On full load @3.6ghz mine tops out at 60-60-52-52, 1.4125 vcore. 1.2750 vid GO stepping. Cooled by 2x sharkoon silent eagle 2000 fans on a TRUE black. Im just finishing of lapping the cpu and TRUE, so im hoping for at least an evening of temps. Any drop in temps would be absolutely great.

Is it normal for them to have such a variance for 2 cores each? Mine does the exact same thing.

Wow, a lot more response than I expected. Cooler is a Zalman 9500 and Vcore is at 1.28v. 60c is achived running MeGUI on an H.264 encode over 30+ min. It never runs over 60 and sometimes doesn't get that high. When the room ambient goes up, it could get warmer, but likely will stay below 65 in the long run.

Is it normal for them to have such a variance for 2 cores each? Mine does the exact same thing.
Yes seems to be pretty much the norm, ive actually seen some with larger variations (10'c or more) in my case my cooler was uneven as well, hence why i decided to lap both it and the cpu.

Could need lapping. With my q6600 G0 3.6ghz with tuniq tower (2 fans, one in center and one in behind) idle is 35c and load is 55c with all 4 cores on max.

hmmm i got a tuniq tower however when i'm idle its around 45... dunno whats up with it

I re-seated the HSF but remained with high temps. It seems like the amount of thermal compound that came on the Freezer 7 pro is a lot, maybe too much. I'm thinking about trying out lapping the cpu and hsf. I set the cpu to default speed (2.4) and my max temp on load went down 10c to 69c, still really hot for that speed. The thing is, when running at 3.0, even with the high temps it seems stable. Of course I don't want to burn it out, but isn't there some kind of auto-shutoff in these processors?

Edit: Maybe I spoke too soon... idle temps are down around 44. Load after 5 minutes or so of prime is 65 (I know it's not much time), and 80 with intel burn test, although it passes 5 tests on max load. Maybe the temps are high, but it seems to be running stable so I'll leave it and try lapping and get a better cooler when I can to get temps down.

BTW I really hate this Intel DX38BT. Such on piece of shite. Can't wait until I have a decent budget for this fun stuff. The board was a good value despite it's pain in the ass boot issues.

Back