Iphone at Verizon!

vincentharris

Weaksauce
Obviously my title is a bit of an embellishment and sarcasm but after watching/reading "legitimate" news sources in America I have come to find they have no real news to report and that the Iphone will be announced by Verizon today. Also apparently this annoucement is going to change the entire world. I am wondering for everyone else is this really a big deal? I do not use At&t so I was wondering if people are going to run to Verizon to get rid of At&t and if this move is that special?

I'll stick with AT&T thanks. Good coverage everywhere I go, and it's a bunch cheaper than Verizon.

Where I live AT&T coverage is abysmal and they're still on a 2G network. My networking instructor has an iPhone and he's stuck on their slow ass network. Its an interesting deal for me as I wouldn't mind having an iPhone, but I have absolutely zero interest in using ATT's network and their piss poor service.

Who knows... if Verizon is getting the iPhone (pretty much a lock at this point), it wouldn't surprise me if they announce the iPad 2 will be available on that network as well, and not with the silly 3G-puck thing they offer now, I mean a real iPad 2 that is natively on the Verizon network.

Call me crazy... stranger things have happened. ;)

Personally, I want a Verizon iPhone for a single reason.

I only want to carry 1 device. ATT's coverage where I live sucks, and I have had an iPod Touch since it came out and have too much time/money tied into apps for it to switch to Andriod.

I've been carrying a "simple phone" on Verizon for years, and the iPod Touch, and an iPhone = only one device.

I would get an iPhone on Verizon if I wasn't less than a year into my 2 year contract with AT&T. AT&T's 2gb monthly data plan sucks.

I'll stick with AT&T thanks. Good coverage everywhere I go, and it's a bunch cheaper than Verizon.

..and it would be quite a speed downgrade coming of AT&T's UMTS 3G network to Verizon's RevA 3G network.

Verizon Rev A = 3.1 mbps down and 1.8 mbps up

AT&T UMTS/HSPA = 7.1mbps down

For anyone who thinks that a release date Verizon iPhone is a good idea, you should probably reconsider. A new iPhone is probably less than 6 months away. You've waited years thus far, what's another few months.

For anyone who thinks that a release date Verizon iPhone is a good idea, you should probably reconsider. A new iPhone is probably less than 6 months away. You've waited years thus far, what's another few months.

This is a very good point. If it's an LTE iPhone, I might get one, if not I'll wait. LTE requires a sim slot (and thus, will work overseas with a SIM), but I don't really care about the data portion of the program, for me it's a single device that replaces two, and thus I dont really care about it being CDMA.

This is great news, this means AT&T will finally have a good selection of Android phones like the Atrix. I can't wait

I welcome the competition to the iPhone platform, but I plan to stick with AT&T personally. Great coverage/speeds/customer service since I switched a year and a half ago.

I'm excited to see it come to Verizon, I want to see what it will do to the uprising of android.

(g2 owner)

Now if only such speeds were ever attainable on AT&T's network, that would really be something.

I'll admit that I never see 7Mbit on my iPhone but I do usually see 4-5Mbit down and 1-2Mbit up. ATT does have the fastest 3G network in my experience. At least where I live and go.

I speedtest my iPhone all the time and I've never seen it under 1Mbit at worst, ATTs network has become very good lately.

Who knows... if Verizon is getting the iPhone (pretty much a lock at this point), it wouldn't surprise me if they announce the iPad 2 will be available on that network as well, and not with the silly 3G-puck thing they offer now, I mean a real iPad 2 that is natively on the Verizon network.

Call me crazy... stranger things have happened. ;)

I would imagine that the iPad 2 will have a 4G LTE modem option which is backwards compatible with 3G.

I've never had a problem with the AT&T network but I'm glad Verizon is finally getting it so there are options available and we can move on from all the rumors. I just don't think I could go to Verizon because I use voice and data simultaneously too much.

I just got a Droid Incredible at the end of the summer, so no cheap iPhone 4 for me. The 32GB version is what, $699? It's a lot, but it's still tempting. The Incredible is a decent phone but the OS and Verizon's crapware just don't do it for me. I could also ditch my old iPod Touch and recoup a little of the cost.

Good. Now all the people bitching and saturating AT&T's network will port over to Verizon.
Thank god I no longer work for Apple retail.

Anyone else doesn't care because they are 8 months to late? I'll wait 4 months for the iphone 5

This announcement wasn't to get people hyped up about the device itself, but rather that we now have the option to use Verizon and have an iPhone in the process.

There are plenty of people who are impatient (or are not informed) and do not want to wait 6 months for the next iteration. I could have gotten the iPhone 4 if I had waited two months but I wanted mine right there and then.

I'll admit that I never see 7Mbit on my iPhone but I do usually see 4-5Mbit down and 1-2Mbit up. ATT does have the fastest 3G network in my experience. At least where I live and go.

I speedtest my iPhone all the time and I've never seen it under 1Mbit at worst, ATTs network has become very good lately.

Tested found during their research and comparison between the two that ATT's 3G averaged arond 2.11Mbs vs. Verizon's around 1Mbs. Of course thats SanFran so speeds will vary. Around here Verizon and Sprint both beat ATT's network by miles simply due to ATT not having 3G coverage while they do. Actually Verizon and Sprint are the only ones here that have 3G.

ATT spend a couple billion upgrading their network last year so thats probably why its getting better for you.

Edit: The biggest thing I'm happy about with this announcement is that Apple and Verizon have said that the Verizon iPhone won't have any carrier crapware on it and that alone puts it above every Android device they carry.

Competition is always a good thing. This might help stem the tide of bandwidth based data plans. At the very least it will keep the Open Handset Alliance on its toes and those of us who currently use Android will only benefit.

Now we just have to get HP/Palm to start making phones again and this will be a whole new ball game again. :D

Who says Verizon is going to get the newest iPhone when AT&T does?

I sorta tossed around this question in my head but as ADHD as Apple is about their products I doubt they will release phones at different times to different carries in the same country. I know they stagger the releases to different countries but I doubt AT&T has bought any preferential treatment that Verizon wouldn't have demanded to offer the iPhone. With a growing Android market and the potential for Palm to reappear I think Verizon knows they have Apple at the very least on a level playing field if not by the balls.

Last edited:
But the Verizon iPhone is a different device to begin with.

It'll be interesting to see what happens.

i've been saying i wanted the iPhone to go to verizon for over a year now. Everyon complains about AT&T, hopefully those same idiots jump ship to big red, which will free up AT&T's network from being so god damn congested. I agree that AT&T needs to upgrade their network more, they need to roll out LTE instead of just HSPA and HSPA+, competition is a good thing. The only droid that tempts me is the EVO 4G, but no way in hell am i ever switching back to Sprint. I'm planning on staying with AT&T for at least another few years. My 2 year is up this summer, so i'll see what the iPhone 5 looks like...

The timing blows for me, hard. I'd like to get the iPhone, but with another gen just 6 months away, it's hard to justify. I don't think there will be as much of a jump from the 3gs to the 4g with the next iteration, and I also really doubt that the next iPhone will be LTE. I'm not expecting an LTE iPhone until 2012. The next one will probably be the 4gs or something similar, more RAM, better processor, better battery, maybe increased minimum storage, etc... 4G (network not phone) is still in its infancy and isn't widely available. I can't see with the hell that the iPhone 4's release was, that Apple would release a product touted with this amazing new speed capability but oh btw only available in select major cities.

Just my 2c

You do know that ATT and Verizon use entirely different cell phone technologies?

Of which the only major difference is the antenna. It doesn't require completely different hardware like you are trying to imply.

Of which the only major difference is the antenna. It doesn't require completely different hardware like you are trying to imply.

Technically, changing the antenna can be a pretty big deal.

For people like me, not being able to be online and talk on the phone is kind of a bummer.

To interface with the cell network it certainly does require different hardware.

Technically, changing the antenna can be a pretty big deal.

For people like me, not being able to be online and talk on the phone is kind of a bummer.

I did call it a major difference, but yes it can be depending on the phone. In this case it appears to have required a minor redesign to the phone itself causing the volume button to be shifted down a bit. Apple can easily take this into account with future versions of the iPhone and have the differences in the antennas not effect the look of the phone at all.

I've never run into a situation where I feel the need to do both yet, so I don't see it as an issue. If its something you're used to doing I can see where it could be a big problem. I do like that Apple is putting mobile hotspot support into iOS now and if they can somehow convince Verizon to allow it to be used for free I'm going to be very tempted to jump on getting one.

To interface with the cell network it certainly does require different hardware.

Nothing that requires a major redesign like you are implying. In no way is it "a different device". So I repeat: The only major difference is the antenna.

Back