iPhone Air ( iPhone 6 ) September

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rumors on the next generation iPhone, named the 'iPhone Air;

http://bgr.com/2014/01/06/apple-iphone-6-specs-size/

A new report from South Korean publication ET News says the iPhone 6, which it calls “iPhone Air,” will be just 6 millimeters thick when it is unveiled later this year, making the handset significantly thinner than its predecessors. Comparatively, the iPhone 5s and iPhone 5 have a 7.6 millimeter profile while the iPhone 5c is thicker, at 8.97 millimeters. The publication says the news comes from Chinese media, but it certainly can’t be verified at this point. The iPhone 6 will still be made of metal, although it will be a bit heavier than previous models, the same source says.

The design of the iPhone 6 will reportedly be based on the iPhone 5s, although the upcoming iOS handset is said to be bigger than the 2013 flagship model. The phone is expected to be unveiled and launched at some point in September.

Recent reports have suggested that this year Apple is going to launch iPhones with bigger displays than the 4-inch screen found in current models. The company is rumored to consider 4.7- to 5.7-inch displays for future generation devices, although that’s also a report that can’t be confirmed at this time.

Interestingly, the same etnews says that the price of the iPhone 5s will go down to $100 at some point in May, presumably in the U.S., for on-contract purchases. Only a few days ago, Best Buy dropped the price of the on-contract iPhone 5s down to $125.

Bottom line, Apple is keeping the cool Hipster style of the iPhone, by making it super razor thin, the thinnest smartphone on the market :( Everyone I talk with who have iPhone's, said they can care less about the thinness, and would be more than happy with a thicker and heavier iPhone, if that meant longer better battery life. Why not offer a iPhone 4 sized thick phone, with a massive double sized battery, and sell that along side the girly super model wafer thin phone ?

Because the side effects of thin are also worth it. Battery craps out sooner meaning you have to either replace the device or have the phone serviced. Its cheaper to manufacture. Remember apples has enough volume to get anything at good prices paying more to be thin is not even something they worry about. Its the exact same shit that happened with laptops. Processors got more efficient and instead of leaving the same sized battery in them they cut the battery down to make them thinner / lighter. High five for higher profit margins.

if you read a couple posts above you'll see that I replaced the battery in my phone and my wife's phone. both iphone 5 models

Yea but does Apple just sell you additional batteries? I thought you either had to send it into Apple for repair or purchase a 3rd party battery?

Yea but does Apple just sell you additional batteries? I thought you either had to send it into Apple for repair or purchase a 3rd party battery?

https://iphone4parts.com/

I think they are the same as stock, but it might be "3rd party". They have been in business for a while though, and are usually best once you don't have any warranty left. They do free installations for certain parts as well.

So, so many things off with those battery rumours.

They're unverifiable claims from uncertain sources, so we don't know if there's any truth here. Also, there's a difference between raw capacity increases and battery life improvements. Processor and screen efficiencies matter.

On another note, did anyone catch Marques Brownlee's hands-on with the iPhone's sapphire screen?

Now that's something to get excited about. I know that sapphire is potentially more vulnerable in certain circumstances, but it sounds like it'll do wonders here. Imagine having a phone that really is scratch-proof (rather than resistant, like with Gorilla Glass), and where the display only adds to the rigidity. It may also help bring graphics right to the surface, since the panel is so thin and clear.

So, so many things off with those battery rumours.

They're unverifiable claims from uncertain sources, so we don't know if there's any truth here. Also, there's a difference between raw capacity increases and battery life improvements. Processor and screen efficiencies matter.

On another note, did anyone catch Marques Brownlee's hands-on with the iPhone's sapphire screen?

Now that's something to get excited about. I know that sapphire is potentially more vulnerable in certain circumstances, but it sounds like it'll do wonders here. Imagine having a phone that really is scratch-proof (rather than resistant, like with Gorilla Glass), and where the display only adds to the rigidity. It may also help bring graphics right to the surface, since the panel is so thin and clear.

I saw it. He didn't spit or fart on it therefore his tests are incomplete. :D

(Possible NSFW)
He could have conducted other tests.

Last edited:
Yea, that's crazy.

I wouldn't even take my keys to that screen, but for science!

The keys are not impressive that is what gorilla glass has always done, same with knife. Your typical pseudoscience review where he keeps talking about how great it is but somehow is unable to perform the same actions on a $15 gorilla glass phone cover that anyone can pick up on ebay any day. What is impressive is the flex and bend. Scratch resistance should be better but I have still see my share of scratched watches. The optical transparency is also not interesting. Phones use LCDs or OLEDs which only produce light that was already passing through glass. The only way phones get better is when they start building OLED right onto the glass so internal light reflection is not an issue.

So ultimately this will come down to cost. If manufacturing really can bring the price way down great. If not we will only see this in flagship models, and we wont be surprised if the glass if more companies pull an apple and make a new cheap model without it.

The keys are not impressive that is what gorilla glass has always done, same with knife. Your typical pseudoscience review where he keeps talking about how great it is but somehow is unable to perform the same actions on a $15 gorilla glass phone cover that anyone can pick up on ebay any day. What is impressive is the flex and bend. Scratch resistance should be better but I have still see my share of scratched watches. The optical transparency is also not interesting. Phones use LCDs or OLEDs which only produce light that was already passing through glass. The only way phones get better is when they start building OLED right onto the glass so internal light reflection is not an issue.

So ultimately this will come down to cost. If manufacturing really can bring the price way down great. If not we will only see this in flagship models, and we wont be surprised if the glass if more companies pull an apple and make a new cheap model without it.

Well, we know that Apple has been involved in getting some sapphire factories up and running. It's the kind of company that will develop new manufacturing processes (see: aluminum unibody MacBook Pros circa 2008) or pay for factory equipment if it believes that it can mass-produce a new technology. I can see this being limited to high-end iPhones at first, but you're not likely not going to immediately get the economies of scale associated with regular glass. Someone has to take that intermediary step where it's just cheap enough for mainstream high-end devices.

Well, we know that Apple has been involved in getting some sapphire factories up and running. It's the kind of company that will develop new manufacturing processes (see: aluminum unibody MacBook Pros circa 2008) or pay for factory equipment if it believes that it can mass-produce a new technology. I can see this being limited to high-end iPhones at first, but you're not likely not going to immediately get the economies of scale associated with regular glass. Someone has to take that intermediary step where it's just cheap enough for mainstream high-end devices.

And aluminum still has not made its way down to all devices. Look at apple themselves they even gave up on it and elected instead to just replace their older phone with the cheap version each year, currently the 5C which replaces nicer materials with plastic. Sapphire needs to be ground and polished which takes time and resources that adds up to costs. So unless GT Advanced Technologies figured out how to grow the sapphire crystal so it was already the right thickness then I don't think this will go into the cheaper phones. Which is sad because those are probably the people who need the durability more.

I don't see how manufacturing for watches is not already plenty mass production. Prior to cell phones they were sitting on the hand of nearly every individual in all the developed nations of the world.

And aluminum still has not made its way down to all devices. Look at apple themselves they even gave up on it and elected instead to just replace their older phone with the cheap version each year, currently the 5C which replaces nicer materials with plastic.

I don't think Apple gave up on it. One is cheaper and less labor intensive. Which one do you think Apple should pick?

I don't think Apple gave up on it. One is cheaper and less labor intensive. Which one do you think Apple should pick?

Plastic has always been cheaper and less labor intensive I do not understand your question or its relevance.

Plastic has always been cheaper and less labor intensive I do not understand your question or its relevance.

You answered your own question. Apple didn't give up on using aluminum in the 5C. It chose the cheaper option.

I realize you don't know this now, but the 5C was a replacement for using the iphone 5 as the cheaper model. Which means apple closed down selling the iphone 5 and replaced it with the 5C, IE giving up on metal / glass and replacing it with plastic in lower priced products. The opposite of economies of scale allowing aluminum to work its way down the product ladder.

I realize you don't know this now, but the 5C was a replacement for using the iphone 5 as the cheaper model. Which means apple closed down selling the iphone 5 and replaced it with the 5C, IE giving up on metal / glass and replacing it with plastic in lower priced products. The opposite of economies of scale allowing aluminum to work its way down the product ladder.

Wow, I totally didn't realize that Apple replaced the iPhone 5 with the 5C using a material that wouldn't suffer the same blemishes, is cheaper to manufacture, and is more durable than aluminum. I totally forget the pictures of phones with phantom nicks along the chamfered edges. I also forgot reports of people claiming phantom nicks on straight-out-of-the-box phones, and even on phones that were in cases.

I also forgot that Apple is trying to maximize its profit margin by choosing a less expensive material. Never mind that Apple has used plastic before in it's laptops to also differentiate between tiers. I didn't know any of the preceding.

So you completely missed the context of the comments.

So you completely missed the context of the comments.

Go back and read my original statement...

Answer: The cheaper material. In a product where every cent is scrutinized Apple chose the cheaper option for a variety of possible reasons. Apple can't just decide to move pricing tiers (unless they're crazy, we shall see), so the easiest way to increase profit is to reduce the component costs on older phones.

You were replying to me which means you have to consider the context of my post .... seriously, you don't get to make your own context when jumping into a conversation. After all that your comment still doesn't make any sense.

You were replying to me which means you have to consider the context of my post .... seriously, you don't get to make your own context when jumping into a conversation. After all that your comment still doesn't make any sense.

You mean that? That ultimately this will come down to cost?

I realize you don't know this now, but the 5C was a replacement for using the iphone 5 as the cheaper model

I gave very good examples of why Apple could have stopped using aluminum in the 5C, despite the manufacturing resources Apple has available. Since you gave me a condescending attitude I gave you a condescending reply.

Well no kidding. What part of "Which one do you think Apple should pick?" did you not understand? Despite the manufacturing resources Apple has very good reasons to differentiate between product lines.

I should have clarified that the I'm specifically talking about Apple having a patent for the same thing that Blackberry already has. (BTW, the first time I swiped Apple on SwiftKey, my phone said Asshole.)

Something tells me we're not going to get SurePress in an iPhone any time soon!

If we get feedback at all, it would be what some of the rumors suggest: an advanced form of haptics that isn't simply shaking your phone every time you press a button. It's hard to say if that would really draw in many people, but it could give the iPhone a distinctive feel (very literally) that sells it over other devices.

Last edited:
I should have clarified that the I'm specifically talking about Apple having a patent for the same thing that Blackberry already has. (BTW, the first time I swiped Apple on SwiftKey, my phone said Asshole.)

You caused me to choke while eating... hahaha...

You mean that? That ultimately this will come down to cost?

I gave very good examples of why Apple could have stopped using aluminum in the 5C, despite the manufacturing resources Apple has available. Since you gave me a condescending attitude I gave you a condescending reply.

Well no kidding. What part of "Which one do you think Apple should pick?" did you not understand? Despite the manufacturing resources Apple has very good reasons to differentiate between product lines.

Like I said you have no clue what you are even replying too lol. Amazing

If this rumor turns out to be true and its the exact same thing, then BB also could have let the patent slide or sold it to Apple.

iPhone is a ripoff, I just sold my 4S on eBay 5 minutes ago. I replaced it with a Moto G. I was paying $80 a month and then $60. Now I pay a whopping $5 a month (plus about $1 in tax) through RW (it uses WiFi only but everywhere I go, home, work, coffee shop, library, has WiFi). What I like the most about moto g is how easy it is to transport music or photos to PC. I hate itunes!

iPhone is a ripoff, I just sold my 4S on eBay 5 minutes ago. I replaced it with a Moto G. I was paying $80 a month and then $60. Now I pay a whopping $5 a month (plus about $1 in tax) through RW (it uses WiFi only but everywhere I go, home, work, coffee shop, library, has WiFi). What I like the most about moto g is how easy it is to transport music or photos to PC. I hate itunes!

Ramble ramble ramble?

That has nothing to do with the phone, it's the service you are on. And some people want their cell phone to work on cell towers, which the $5 RW plan doesn't do :p

Last edited:
Yeah, Republic Wireless with the original Moto G is a great deal if it meets your needs, but some of us want cellular coverage (not to mention LTE). By that definition, Hulk, any phone that isn't on RW is a ripoff. Also somewhat interesting to argue that drag-and-drop on a phone with 8GB of storage is better than iTunes and a future iPhone where 32GB may be the minimum. Only one of these devices can easily sync a large music collection, and it ain't the Moto G.

Umm... Large music collection, sure, if iPhones will have 32 GB standard. But easily sync? We also have Google Play Music and also Amazon Music... They are arguably way easier than iTunes...

Umm... Large music collection, sure, if iPhones will have 32 GB standard. But easily sync? We also have Google Play Music and also Amazon Music... They are arguably way easier than iTunes...

Google Play Music is easy... so long as you've spent a long time uploading your entire collection, or never buy from anywhere else. Amazon is similar. And if you do primarily purchase music from a single store, there's not much difference. iOS can automatically download what you've bought from iTunes, and you can always grab purchases later.

iTunes (the desktop app) has long been focused on tethered syncing, and it's arguably very good at that. Its issue is that it's not as necessary as it used to be; you can either sync from the cloud (including iTunes) or just stream everything. I used to be big on internal storage, myself, but I think I may actually step down simply because I don't need to store absolutely all my local tunes.

You can do what you're doing for free without paying $5/month. Sign up for a free Google Voice account to get a standard 10-digit random number (or pay one time $10 to get customized #) and use Groove IP version 1.48 (newer 2.x versions break this feature) that integrates with your dialer to allow free calls and SMS within North America. Works with any Android device with WIFI and the benefit is you can sign in/out of devices if you have many that you switch between.

Predictions about the next iPhone that will sadly come true (and in some cases, may have already come true):

1. Some people will be extremely disappointed that sketchy rumors for unannounced products didn't pan out.

2. If Apple's September event rolls around and the company doesn't launch a 4.7-inch iPhone, a 5.5-inch iPhone and a smartwatch all at the same time, some folks will call it a total disaster (forgetting the usual October follow-up event, and that Apple hasn't promised these devices).

3. Others will somehow be surprised that the finished product looks a lot better than the crude mockups.

4. There will invariably be claims that Apple whiffed it on the processor simply because there aren't X cores or Y gigahertz, even though the benchmarks suggest it's entirely competitive. These people are also completely oblivious to the AMD-Intel CPU wars of the past 20-odd years.

5. Last, but not least: no matter how many new features are present, no matter much better a value the iPhone represents, the Anything But Apple camp will insist that the company is only capable of iterative phone upgrades and destined for failure... all the while purposefully blotting out memories of iterative (but still good) Android phones like the Xperia Z series, One and Galaxy S4/S5.

Predictions about the next iPhone that will sadly come true (and in some cases, may have already come true):

1. Some people will be extremely disappointed that sketchy rumors for unannounced products didn't pan out.

2. If Apple's September event rolls around and the company doesn't launch a 4.7-inch iPhone, a 5.5-inch iPhone and a smartwatch all at the same time, some folks will call it a total disaster (forgetting the usual October follow-up event, and that Apple hasn't promised these devices).

3. Others will somehow be surprised that the finished product looks a lot better than the crude mockups.

4. There will invariably be claims that Apple whiffed it on the processor simply because there aren't X cores or Y gigahertz, even though the benchmarks suggest it's entirely competitive. These people are also completely oblivious to the AMD-Intel CPU wars of the past 20-odd years.

5. Last, but not least: no matter how many new features are present, no matter much better a value the iPhone represents, the Anything But Apple camp will insist that the company is only capable of iterative phone upgrades and destined for failure... all the while purposefully blotting out memories of iterative (but still good) Android phones like the Xperia Z series, One and Galaxy S4/S5.

Yep. I remember when everyone was expecting a 4.3" larger iPhone back before the iPhone 5 came out, and even case makers made it seem like that was coming, with a whole new rounded design, etc...and NOTHING like that ever came out.

I predict there is no 5.5" iPhone coming this year, recent rumors saying Apple has supply issues, and using it all on the regular iPhone 6 to keep production going, so no new 5.5" iPhone this year now.

And I still think there will be an iWatch still, but announced at a different even later than the iPhone 6.

Yep. I remember when everyone was expecting a 4.3" larger iPhone back before the iPhone 5 came out, and even case makers made it seem like that was coming, with a whole new rounded design, etc...and NOTHING like that ever came out.

I predict there is no 5.5" iPhone coming this year, recent rumors saying Apple has supply issues, and using it all on the regular iPhone 6 to keep production going, so no new 5.5" iPhone this year now.

And I still think there will be an iWatch still, but announced at a different even later than the iPhone 6.

I'm not sure I entirely buy the rumors that the 5.5-inch iPhone is no longer a 2014 product... assuming it's supposed to ship in the first place, that is. As a friend put it: an analyst revising his guesstimate (KGI, in this case) doesn't amount to a real delay.

My personal hunch: the September event is meant for two iPhones. Whether or not they both launch then is another matter, but I would anticipate that the 5.5-incher shows up in October (even if it ships in November) if that happens. The smartwatch, or whatever it really is, appears in October.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back