iPhone 7

Have you looked into seeing if there is an adapter that can be wired to the back of the unit? Buddy's is300 didn't have a USB connection but they made a kit and he just had to hook it up to the back of the unit

Yeah, researched it a little and didn't see any good solutions like that. It really hasn't been a big deal to me though since it's the wife's car and my car has an aftermarket unit that works fine with BT media and using an aux cable works fine for when we are in her car.

is there no bluetooth RF modulator that is powered by a 12v plug and you tune your radio to?
Maybe even one with a lightning plug to charge your phone.

I have yet to find an RF adapter that doesn't suck and get interference from other stations near whatever freq you use while driving around at some point.

As I originally stated though, I don't need the aux port often so it isn't a huge deal guys, just a moderate annoyance on the occasion I'm in a car that doesn't support BT media. I'm sure a Y adapter will come out at some point to let you charge and use an aux jack at the same time.

Apple on USB-C? Not likely to happen. They want to control their accessory market. I think they even get revenue from the connector.

They were the first to use USB C on the Macbook last year, it's literally the only port on the device other than the headphone jack. So it seems plausible they'd consider it on the iPhone at some point.. but like I said I don't see it happening at least until after the the iPhone 7S.

Apple on USB-C? Not likely to happen. They want to control their accessory market. I think they even get revenue from the connector.

Apple is often the front runner to support USB standards, even if they aren't using the physical form of the connection. The whole point of the lightning adapter was to improve durability of the plug (its more durable than anything I've seen that size), improve speed of the USB standard and incorporate the first plug that didn't care which way it was being inserted.

Now that USB-C is like that, Apple may move to it on their phone but I doubt it as they are doing just fine right now with the lightning connector.

So glad I have T-mobile. Gonna trade this obsolete iPhone 6 Plus for a free iPhone 7 or $120 more for a 7 Plus.

So glad I have T-mobile. Gonna trade this obsolete iPhone 6 Plus for a free iPhone 7 or $120 more for a 7 Plus.

Its honestly pretty sweet. I usually buy my parents the new iPhones as gifts every year if its worth it, only year I havent is the 6S. I dont have to sell their old phones, and pay much out of pocket this time. I also dont plan on leaving tmobile anyways.

i read review :
It's something that is illustrative of a great camera," explained Schiller. "The quality of that background blur is called bokeh, and the quality of that is something found in great camera system
question.gif

Apple is often the front runner to support USB standards, even if they aren't using the physical form of the connection. The whole point of the lightning adapter was to improve durability of the plug (its more durable than anything I've seen that size), improve speed of the USB standard and incorporate the first plug that didn't care which way it was being inserted.

Now that USB-C is like that, Apple may move to it on their phone but I doubt it as they are doing just fine right now with the lightning connector.

I dont think Apple will stray from the lightning connection. I am surprised they went with the USB-C for the Macbook and didnt invent their own lightning plus connection for it so people are forced to buy that.

Especially now that the Note 7 has the USB-C, they cant be seen following in the footsteps as some would say.

I dont think Apple will stray from the lightning connection. I am surprised they went with the USB-C for the Macbook and didnt invent their own lightning plus connection for it so people are forced to buy that.

Especially now that the Note 7 has the USB-C, they cant be seen following in the footsteps as some would say.
That's not how Apple has ever operated. They only come out with their own standard connection when the current one doesn't offer what they need. other than FireWire their laptops have always used standard connectors.

Looks like a decent upgrade...maybe I'll upgrade next year, if the Iphone 8 Plus is out then. Normally upgrade every 2 years or so, unless the phone is giving me problems (like the HTC phone I had previously)

So what's the point of removing the headphone jack if the iPhone 7 isn't any thinner than the 6s and the Galaxy phones have already proven you can waterproof the jack?

Looks like a decent upgrade...maybe I'll upgrade next year, if the Iphone 8 Plus is out then. Normally upgrade every 2 years or so, unless the phone is giving me problems (like the HTC phone I had previously)

It will be 2 years from this date for the iPhone 8. Next year it will be the 7s and 7s Plus if Apple sticks to previous years

So what's the point of removing the headphone jack if the iPhone 7 isn't any thinner than the 6s and the Galaxy phones have already proven you can waterproof the jack?

See above from AMG. The taptic engine is taking the space of the headphone jack.

You might not be aware but the iPhone 6s already had the taptic engine in that location and still has the headphone jack:

biNfDvYmDL5wdRap

Just look at the pictures. You can see the new taptic engine is quite a bit larger than the old one and the batteries have also grown a bit.

And it's larger just to support the non-button home button. Which still doesn't feel great.

This really isn't how you make design compromises.

Apple owns Beats. Beats sells wireless headphones. So why not get rid of the audio jack to try and push up sales on wireless headphones for both the airpods and beats

I think the removed headphone jack is some bullshit. I have good headphones at my house and work for different purposes. I listen to podcasts or music probably 6 hours a day everyday. I won't be getting an iPhone 7 on launch like I have numerous other iPhones.

I think Apple's excuses are some ivory tower shit where they talked themselves into thinking their phones are too good for common plebeian things like wired headphones.

Last edited:
It's mildly annoying to use an adapter, ill admin that. But my next phone earphones are going to be Bluetooth regardless of whether it has a port or not. I listen to music on my iPhone when I work out, in my car, or as a convenice thing so Bluetooth headphones make the most sense anyways. It's not the device I use for quality music listening and I wouldn't be caught dead working out in my good cans.

If I do, the adapter is right there in the box.

People are just afraid of change. I honestly have never had the phone plugged in to charge and had the headphones plugged in at the same time. The only time the headphones have been plugged in is when I was working out.

It seems like the only people who charge their phones and listen to music at the same time are the ones who take the bus, but then they already have the $300 Beats wireless headphones

People are just afraid of change. I honestly have never had the phone plugged in to charge and had the headphones plugged in at the same time. The only time the headphones have been plugged in is when I was working out.

It seems like the only people who charge their phones and listen to music at the same time are the ones who take the bus, but then they already have the $300 Beats wireless headphones

That's your anecdotal evidence. Around me at my work is about 40-60 people who have their phones plugged in and headphones attached to headphone jacks. About 3 people have BT headphones. I was using a pair of BT headphones for a little while until I realized how shitty they sounded once I compared BT to wired with the same headphones. There was also a good article I read a few weeks ago that talked about this as a way to re-introduce DRM into music. Once you remove the headphone jack, it's easier to implement an HDCP-like system for music. Yeah, I'll stay far away from Apple on this one.

I got nothing against change, I have a house full of modern wireless devices of all sorts. I don't want to add even more devices that I need to charge into the mix when the wireless nature of headphones is of no interest to me. I've use wireless headphones and would rather just stick with a cord that works in all of my devices with zero effort. Nor do I want to drag around adapter cables for every set of cans I have.

It works for some, doesn't for the rest.

Honestly I have seen countless complaints on my Facebook feed, trolling pictures, etc. of everyone saying how stupid it is, Apple sucks, blah blah blah... but yet they all said the same thing last year, and the year before that about how Android has had X for so long, Samsung has had X design for so long but yet they all still buy the iPhone.

If people hate it so much, why sit there and bitch about it. Just move onto what works for you.

I think some people just like to complain. (This is not directed at anyone in this forum, just saying what has been coming across my news feed)

It's the same thing every iPhone release.

• People knock the 1 or 2 features that are either copies of android features or new changes and completely disregard the good things.. like when the lightning port was introduced.
  • Someone posts the video of the stupid lady waiting in line for an iPhone from years ago.
  • People post those sweet sweet memes for internet points on Reddit.
  • Rabid android fanboys post saying it's the stupidest phone ever (while their phones are on recall for literally exploding)
  • Rabid apple fanboys post saying it's the best phone ever (before they even touch the new phone)
  • The phone gets released and youtube has 100s of videos on people dropping, smashing, blending, and trying to bend the phone.
  • Insert something-gate here.

And in the end, it will still be the best selling phone of this year.

It's the same thing every iPhone release.

• People knock the 1 or 2 features that are either copies of android features or new changes and completely disregard the good things.. like when the lightning port was introduced.
  • Someone posts the video of the stupid lady waiting in line for an iPhone from years ago.
  • People post those sweet sweet memes for internet points on Reddit.
  • Rabid android fanboys post saying it's the stupidest phone ever (while their phones are on recall for literally exploding)
  • Rabid apple fanboys post saying it's the best phone ever (before they even touch the new phone)
  • The phone gets released and youtube has 100s of videos on people dropping, smashing, blending, and trying to bend the phone.
  • Insert something-gate here.

And in the end, it will still be the best selling phone of this year.

We are days away from people bending brand new iPhones!

We are days away from people bending brand new iPhones!

The yearly circle jerk will officially complete as soon as the first video is released. The entirety of the group will climax in unison with the first announcement of sub par battery life, a minor bug in iOS 10, or weak lte signal if one holds the phone upside down. Then the group lays in rest, patiently waiting in their own after glow for the next flagship android phone to be available.. which ironically will not have a headphone jack.... but it's cool because it's android and we aren't apple juice drinking sheeple.

I've been a long time iPhone fan and have loved every model - Until now. While many of the changes I like - The solid state home button, etc. Dropping the 3.5mm jack is just insanely stupid. My 6S will be my last iphone if they don't change this with the iPhone 8. I *DO NOT* want to carry around a dongle. I did this with some of my older palm devices and PDA's back in the day.

No headphone jack on a device that is supposed to be mainly used for entertainment for most people is just so stupid.

The 'space' excuse is just idiotic. The phone is already uber thin. I'd rather have them make it a little thicker to fit what they need rather then loose my headphone jack.

Heck - I'd rather them figure out a way to use the 3.5mm jack for USB/data connectivity and drop the lightning port instead. I've had plenty of old school serial based devices back in the day that use a 3.5mm jack as their interface. With the headset style 3.5mm jack i'm sure a lower data rate digital standard could easily be achieved.

I've been a long time iPhone fan and have loved every model - Until now. While many of the changes I like - The solid state home button, etc. Dropping the 3.5mm jack is just insanely stupid. My 6S will be my last iphone if they don't change this with the iPhone 8. I *DO NOT* want to carry around a dongle. I did this with some of my older palm devices and PDA's back in the day.

No headphone jack on a device that is supposed to be mainly used for entertainment for most people is just so stupid.

The 'space' excuse is just idiotic. The phone is already uber thin. I'd rather have them make it a little thicker to fit what they need rather then loose my headphone jack.

Heck - I'd rather them figure out a way to use the 3.5mm jack for USB/data connectivity and drop the lightning port instead. I've had plenty of old school serial based devices back in the day that use a 3.5mm jack as their interface. With the headset style 3.5mm jack i'm sure a lower data rate digital standard could easily be achieved.

Keep the dongle attached to your headphones.
If you have a jack in in your car, keep the dongle attached to the car.

I use my headphones on my phone every single day multiple times a day, occasionally while it is charging. I specifically use ultra lightweight IEMs for several reasons. Not that I was considering buying this phone, but it would definitely be a no-go for me.

Wife just preordered us each a 7 Plus. Should show up on or about the 28th. =\

Losing the analog headphone jack was inevitable. It's a win for all the businesses in the device industry: less components, lower cost, more space, and DRM. For me, I will be using the phone with a dedicated outboard DAC and headphone amplifier, so not only is the change inconsequential, it's actually a net plus for me. However, I can understand the frustration of "normal users" during this interim transition away from analog. Mark my words: Android vendors will be making the same change in less than two years.

Apple's excuses for removing the 3.5mm jack are bullshit. That said I don't mind the removal of the 3.5mm headphone jack in the long run. It's very old technology.

However, I hate the fact that by moving to digital connections opens us up to being cursed with more DRM yet again. HDCP like protection for music is inbound and we all know it. So more bullshit for us paying consumers and the pirates will keep on pirating and having a better experience while at it.

I also hate Apple for not using an open standard for headphones. So now when my wife misplaces her headphones I can't just hand her a pair of mine. Proprietary standards for things like this are bullshit...period.

History shows that Apple was among the first to sell DRM free music from its music store, forcing others like Amazon to start selling DRM free music too.

And now people accuse Apple of this new DRM conspiracy.

Let's also forget that there's a simple lightning to analog converter in box that would be rendered completely useless with DRM.

Conspiracy theorists, you're hilarious!

History shows that Apple was among the first to sell DRM free music from its music store, forcing others like Amazon to start selling DRM free music too.

Let's also forget that there's a simple lightning to analog converter in box that would be rendered completely useless with DRM.

Quit making sense. Their head starts to hurt when that happens.

This headphone jack discussion. Is by far the most talked about change with this iPhone and for good reason I'd say...

They are going to make money on every sale because they license companies to use their proprietary connector and let's face It, lightning likely won't be around 10-15 years from now, so your "old" headphones will be useless unless you find some kind of adapter...

Personally I use my 3.5mm jack almost daily with some Shure SE535 IEMs. Having to use a dongle is not ideal. Same with an external DAC/AMP. I hope this trend doesn't carry on universally across the industry as some are predicting.

I'm not accusing Apple of pushing the DRM. Please show me where I did.

However, the RIAA will be chomping at the bit with it going digital and you know it. I hope I'm wrong and I hope I'm being way too pessimistic. I just don't trust the RIAA any further than I can throw my car.

Wife just preordered us each a 7 Plus. Should show up on or about the 28th. =\

Who did you place your order with?

Just placed 4 myself

3 7 and 1 7+. the 7's should arrive on the 16th and the 7+ should arrive on the 23rd.

Also have the watch series 2 coming which is estimated Oct 17

I've been Android my whole Smartphone Career but I'm making a jump to iPhone. The 7 will be my first daily driver iOS device (I've previously only used an iPod Touch that's horribly outdated).

The headphone jack doesn't really bother me, I can just keep the dongle attached to my headphones. I have BT headphones I use to workout with so doesn't phase me. However, I can see it being different for people who may take long flights and need to watch media/listen to music and need headphones but also need to charge their phone. Then again, makes me think those people could also probably afford whatever attachment will enable them to charge and listen at the same time as well as have wireless headphones if needed.

Android, for me at least, just gets annoying that you have to have workarounds for certain apps and products (ie I got the Gear S2 watch but doesn't have Google Voice, and it tracks steps in Lifesum but not MyCalorieCounter. I have to download another app that connects to S Health to connect to such and such to connect to this, just annoying). Also the forever time lag of upgrades, and all I know is that my Note 5 drains like crazy after the 6.1 update and if I don't charge it at some point during the day it dies before 7pm. I'm sure Nexus devices are nice and a lot better with quicker upgrades, but I still feel like there's some work to be done. I guess I'll see if the grass is greener on the other side.

Back